Leitrim Forum

National League 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I hear that there has been even more players returning who would not commit from the start of the year. Mark Plunkett and G.Reynolds are supposedly the latest to return. Normally I would be completely against players returning after not joining up with the panel since they began last October. However, if all normal protocol such as a players vote where they have said it is okay for these players to rejoin the panel than I am okay with it. Also, we are not in a normal situation. Moral and confidence surrounding the county team is at an all-time low even though we have a higher quality of young players at our disposal. Losing to New York would be another nail in the coffin and can't be let happen. Playing New York is also significant as we need to keep our diaspora on-board for funding reasons and losing to them would harm this. The amount of injuries we have along with players dropping off the panel, being dropped or not committing in the first place also means that we need these players more than ever. So frustrating that for whatever reason none of these players were available at the beginning of the year as I truly believe we are a better side than Carlow and would have finally got promoted with proper coaching.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 30 - 21/03/2018 10:08:56    2086543

Link

Would agree this has been another wasted year i would reckon if we had our strongest squad available and properly organized we'd definitely be as good if not stronger than Carlow and indeed Antrim too. Fair play to carlow they got there house in order and are reaping the rewards and good luck to them. The league is gone now all our focus has to be on getting out of New York with a win and if its true about more players returning that has to be a plus.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 267 - 21/03/2018 10:55:07    2086559

Link

I know some people aren't happy but beggars can't be choosers and there's no doubt that these returning players are some of our top players. The return of McGuire, Mulligan, Kennedy and Plunkett provides us with two crucial elements we have been missing. Experience and leadership. It will also strengthen our bench which is important in the modern game McGuire will also be key for marking Clarke as we have no one else capable for this job. Mulligan and Kennedy both have massive experience and Plunkett brings a presence around the middle third that we have been missing, he also captained that successful underage team which most of our players were on so that is another key factor. If Shane Moran could be convinced to also come back it would inject another boost as we are still lacking a midfield partner for D. McGovern and it is an area we have been struggling with. I hope supporters get behind this decision as there's no doubt that it's in the best interests of Leitrim football. It has to be said this is a short term fix as the wider reason why these players wouldn't commit from the start still hasn't been resolved and action will be required after the championship ends so that we can build for next year.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 21/03/2018 11:39:55    2086571

Link

It has to be said that it shows great humility on Benny's behalf to go and approach these players to return as in my view we can't do without them. He was left with very little option than to try and cajole these players back for the good of Leitrim football before New York. At the same time it shows that he even accepts that his tenure has been poor to say the least. Especially when he couldn't get these players to commit for our most important competition which is the league. Hopefully the current panel were consulted before they were invited back in as some whom have been training since October will now lose their positions which can't be good for team morale. But then again losing isn't good for morale either! I can't remember a time when Leitrim have had a forward unit with the ability of Plunkett, O'Rourke, Beirne, Heslin, Rooney, McGloin, Gaffney (all under 22) and Mulligan and Kennedy. Such a pity that Shane Moran, Conor Cullen, Pearce Dolan and Gary Plunkett aren't involved when they all had an impact last year. I wonder could someone like Domhnail Flynn be enticed in as he is consistently one of Mohill's top performers and we need more ball winning and physicality in midfield.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 77 - 21/03/2018 13:54:18    2086623

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Would agree this has been another wasted year i would reckon if we had our strongest squad available and properly organized we'd definitely be as good if not stronger than Carlow and indeed Antrim too. Fair play to carlow they got there house in order and are reaping the rewards and good luck to them. The league is gone now all our focus has to be on getting out of New York with a win and if its true about more players returning that has to be a plus."
I watched Carlow VS Leitrim, the main difference in my opinion was their midfield .Carlow have power and physical presence that Leitrim don't have in that area. they even troubled the Dubs in the first half of last years championship in that area. Our forwards with Mulligan, Kennedy etc back and if they get the right service will trouble any team, however defence and midfield is and continues to be our weakness. Carlow won 6 games on the bounce , that's no fluke and as you say good luck to them.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 85 - 21/03/2018 16:19:18    2086679

Link

Replying To Leitrim1234:  "I know some people aren't happy but beggars can't be choosers and there's no doubt that these returning players are some of our top players. The return of McGuire, Mulligan, Kennedy and Plunkett provides us with two crucial elements we have been missing. Experience and leadership. It will also strengthen our bench which is important in the modern game McGuire will also be key for marking Clarke as we have no one else capable for this job. Mulligan and Kennedy both have massive experience and Plunkett brings a presence around the middle third that we have been missing, he also captained that successful underage team which most of our players were on so that is another key factor. If Shane Moran could be convinced to also come back it would inject another boost as we are still lacking a midfield partner for D. McGovern and it is an area we have been struggling with. I hope supporters get behind this decision as there's no doubt that it's in the best interests of Leitrim football. It has to be said this is a short term fix as the wider reason why these players wouldn't commit from the start still hasn't been resolved and action will be required after the championship ends so that we can build for next year."
If Dean McGovern is the answer the question must be who can make 2/3 catches a game and conserve energy by covering very little ground. His work rate must improve if he is going to be influential. That is an attitude change that's needed and usually by 19/20 lads that are energetic have shown their stamina and grit by then. I am not saying Dean won't be a county player but what I am saying he has to up his work rate substantially to become a midfielder but there could still be a role for him on half forward line. He has undoubted talent.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 811 - 21/03/2018 19:41:35    2086761

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "If Dean McGovern is the answer the question must be who can make 2/3 catches a game and conserve energy by covering very little ground. His work rate must improve if he is going to be influential. That is an attitude change that's needed and usually by 19/20 lads that are energetic have shown their stamina and grit by then. I am not saying Dean won't be a county player but what I am saying he has to up his work rate substantially to become a midfielder but there could still be a role for him on half forward line. He has undoubted talent."
Agree with your points regarding McGovern he has areas to improve there is no doubt but he is still young, crucially who else do we have to play in Midfield? It's him and one other as far as I can see. The others options are Moreton who won't suit the fast ground and heat in Gaelic Pairc, Damien Moran who doesn't seem to be in favour with management and possibly Noel Plunkett who will definitely have the legs but hasn't been given much of a run yet in the middle section. Maybe we might try Shane Quinn at centre field as he is excellent there for Mohill but then you are robbing Peter to pay Paul as he has been our best player in the half back line this year. Mark Plunkett returning will take the no 11 position and should provide a good out let for kick outs and take some pressure off our middle third.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 21/03/2018 22:20:46    2086814

Link

I think the rumour of Mark plunkett and Gary renoylds returning is false

ThisIsIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 55 - 22/03/2018 12:48:23    2086939

Link

Good result today against a poor Wicklow side, take nothing away from our lads they were way ahead of them. A few silly frees like pushing a man when he is going down to pick up the ball need to be addressed they could cost us on other days. I'm knit picking it's great to see us put up another good score. Progress being made

bounceofball (Leitrim) - Posts: 13 - 25/03/2018 18:10:40    2087801

Link

Good win as its probably last competitive match before New York but the league was gone for us after the first 2 games. The New York game is everything now have to win that at all costs losing there doesn't bear thinking about. Hope there is no injuries in the club games in the next few weeks.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 267 - 25/03/2018 20:44:31    2087936

Link

Eddie 1 here

Get your boxers and socks in a case. Next Stop New York

Up Leitrim

Eddie 1

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 200 - 25/03/2018 21:17:57    2087962

Link

Could take more from that win yesterday than Limerick game. Wicklow looked a better team than Limerick and could have had a lot more scores on the board at half time only for bad shooting. Defensively we are not tight enough as a unit where picking the forward line could be tough because of players coming into form. Definite improvement.
Regaining a bit more confidence about NY game.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 811 - 26/03/2018 08:31:10    2088091

Link

Replying To Eddie1:  "Eddie 1 here

Get your boxers and socks in a case. Next Stop New York

Up Leitrim

Eddie 1"
Good man Eddie long time no hear!

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 267 - 26/03/2018 10:34:08    2088162

Link