Wexford Forum

Local Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

It's probably fair to surmise that the two games in Wexford Park today were better than the two on Saturday.

The curtain raiser was a classic. Banville was in formidble form for Horeswood, particularly in the first half, but Castletown eventually ground them down. Rory Heffernan really stood out at midfield, and Brosnan ended up with 1-7. Its worth remembering that they were without Jonathan Bealin too. Castletown vs St.Martins seems to be an annual clash at this stage.

I am on the record in harbouring doubts about Shelmaliers' defence, and with Gusserane's scoring threat, it was foolish in the extreme for Shels to be so open. Gussrane will take some minding against a strong defensive setup in Glynn.

Intermediate championship is very open. Watched Gorey win and it was clear they were minding themselves for the hurling next week, as if football is such a burden for them. If anything, being fit for senior hurling gives them an advantage at this grade. The two Doyle's Padraig and Aodhan were good, as was Conor McDonald when he came on. 50-50 game vs Crossabeg.

St.Mary's are the best team I have seen in this grade. They have pace up front, and both the power and creativity to open up chances in attack. Todd Hynes is rapid off the wing, Christy Lane swarms kick-outs and Martin O'Connor and Donal O'Leary take their chances. Will be a humdinger against Bunclody in the semi-final.

beano (Wexford) - Posts: 364 - 16/09/2019 01:23:30    2235895

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "Wide open championship now
You could easily make a case for any of the eight teams to win it from here.

St Martin's - probably favorites to win it if they really go at it for the next few weeks but mixing hurling and football has been there problem but if anyone is to do what St Annes did then St Martin's are the team

Shelmaliers - Been a long time since someone retained their title and previous year winners have a serious habit of losing the quarter final the following year, they will be favorites to beat Gusserane but with everyone fit and on the field Gusserane are quiet capable of winning again

Castletown - Their Achilles heel in recent years has been getting into finals and converting league form into the knock out championships. Have two very good scoring forwards and free takers in Bealin and Brosnan, should beat Horeswood but the Woodies have two similar players in Myler and Banville.

Glynn Barntown - My prediction at the start of the year was for Glynn Barntown to win the championship and I can still see them doing that, they have a very interesting quarter final ahead v St James, suspensions may hurt Glynn from the final round of the group

St James - were fast out of the blocks this year in hurling and football but missing a number of players have struggled since the break. however they seem to be getting some people back from the treatment table at the right time. Could easily take Glynn Barntown in the quarter finals

Starlights - Have bags of potential as was seen when they were crowned champions two years ago, however losing players to other sports at this time of the year may hurt them. Another club fighting firm on two fronts and will have to play above par to beat St Martins in the quarter final

Horeswood - As last years intermediate champions they were always assured of reaching the quarter finals, can they follow St James, Glynn Barntown and Kilanerin in making it to at least the semi-finals in their first season back in the top championship. Very interesting contest awaits v Castletown will be underdogs but have the scoring power to hurt the Gorey district men

Gusserane - Had their backs to the wall in the final group game v St Martins and came up with their best display in championship so far, have won two out of three since the championships restarted after the intercounty break and are going to give the county champions all sorts of problems in the quarter finals.

Quarter Final Predictions
St Martins v Starlights - St Martins by 3-4 points
St James v Glynn Barntown - Draw
Castletown v Horeswood - Castletown by 5
Shelmaliers v Gusserane - Gusserane to surprise everyone with a two point win"
A little surprised that I was almost totally on the money with my predictions.

Gusserane look to be the form team 3 wins from four since the championship got going after the inter county break and they put the champions out at the weekend in a great game. The quarter final hurdle trips up so many champions in Wexford football its remarkable, to my knowledge the only team to get to a semi as champions in recent times is Starlight's, I stand to be corrected on that though.
Glynn Barntown were my tip at the start of the season and were very impressive on Saturday v St James. They forced the errors off St James and took their chances when they came about. Got two goals directly off pressure on the St James defence.
It leaves a fascinating semi-final between the teams who clashed a few years ago in a county final when Gusserane came out on top in a dramatic finish. I am going to stick with my tip at the start of the year and not jump ship now. Gusserane are a form team coming into it and have a bundle of young lads chomping at the bit for success with a mixture of experienced old heads, while Glynn Barntown are a team with a perfect age group of players and more experience since their last final. Both clubs are still involved in hurling as well so both have to switch focus this week. I'm going for Glynn Barntown but they will need to score well if its a fine day probably 17 or 18 points to win.

St Martins v Castletown - People will see the winner of this as the favorites for the final, on paper St Martin's probably have the strongest panel in the championship, but their main priority appears to be winning back the hurling title, however there is a number of players who prefer football and will be the driving force for them. Castletown would appear to be a team that has under achieved given the players they have. The change of management seems to have given them a huge boost this year and I see them possibly having more hunger than St Martins an this may get them over the line. However I think St Martins are more physical and have the dangerous forwards to get them over the line.

Semi-Final Predictions
Glynn Barntown v Gusserane - Glynn Barntown by 3-4 points
St Martins v Castletown - St Martins by 3 points

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1175 - 16/09/2019 09:49:44    2235945

Link

Following the weekends action there is only going to be one club still on course the follow in St Anne's footsteps after this weekend with the Martin's probably going to be that team with Glynn now fancying their chances at finally winning the senior football.
Barntown standout team for me the weekend, put in a seriously professional performance and stopped the St James' in every department. They're very well balanced and play a lovely style of football. Missing key players last weekend and still managed to come through easily enough.
St Martin's made tough work of their game but in fairness to them starlights are very defensive and were hard to break down. Hard to know what Martin's team will turn up the next day but they will fancy their chances against castletown having beating them already this year. What a cracker of a final it would be Martin's v Barntown too, no love lost there.
Yesterday were 2 entertaining but very open games and I was surprised with how easily castletown let horeswood get through them. Although Banville was on fire and still clearly one of the stand out forwards in the county. Castletown finished strong and seemed to have an extra gear or 2 in them when needed even without bealin in forwards. Brosnan still a big threat when given space. Space which I doubt Martin's will give them.
The last quarter final was a funny one, county champions last year showing that they rather win and also fancy winning the hurling this year than defending their title or trying to follow the Anne's into the Double role of honour. Found this very odd. Gusserane played long direct ball and got a couple lucky goals against the run of play. Shelmaliers big players didnt get going atal and still nearly pulled it off in the end. I feel they will look back at this as a missed opportunity to possibly do something special this year.
Didnt get to intermediate games but fancy maudlintown or bunclody to make the jump to senior after following recent results.
And I fancy Barntown and Martin's to set up a humdinger in the senior.

hurlin101 (Wexford) - Posts: 89 - 16/09/2019 11:52:39    2236019

Link

Replying To hurlin101:  "Following the weekends action there is only going to be one club still on course the follow in St Anne's footsteps after this weekend with the Martin's probably going to be that team with Glynn now fancying their chances at finally winning the senior football.
Barntown standout team for me the weekend, put in a seriously professional performance and stopped the St James' in every department. They're very well balanced and play a lovely style of football. Missing key players last weekend and still managed to come through easily enough.
St Martin's made tough work of their game but in fairness to them starlights are very defensive and were hard to break down. Hard to know what Martin's team will turn up the next day but they will fancy their chances against castletown having beating them already this year. What a cracker of a final it would be Martin's v Barntown too, no love lost there.
Yesterday were 2 entertaining but very open games and I was surprised with how easily castletown let horeswood get through them. Although Banville was on fire and still clearly one of the stand out forwards in the county. Castletown finished strong and seemed to have an extra gear or 2 in them when needed even without bealin in forwards. Brosnan still a big threat when given space. Space which I doubt Martin's will give them.
The last quarter final was a funny one, county champions last year showing that they rather win and also fancy winning the hurling this year than defending their title or trying to follow the Anne's into the Double role of honour. Found this very odd. Gusserane played long direct ball and got a couple lucky goals against the run of play. Shelmaliers big players didnt get going atal and still nearly pulled it off in the end. I feel they will look back at this as a missed opportunity to possibly do something special this year.
Didnt get to intermediate games but fancy maudlintown or bunclody to make the jump to senior after following recent results.
And I fancy Barntown and Martin's to set up a humdinger in the senior."
Gusserane got 2 goals against the run of play????
They were 1-5 to 2 points down and had got it back to a point I think and then got the first goal, so how could scoring 5 points and then a goal be against the run of play??
They got the second goal early in the 2nd half when they were 2 points up and neither goal was lucky........
2-18 from play against the county champions considering they were 5 points down in the first half is fair going.
But I suppose Shelmaliers didn't want to win the game....hurling next week........
Probably the worst report on the game I've seen.

TeeTotalFootball (Wexford) - Posts: 1 - 16/09/2019 14:24:35    2236109

Link

One judgement call I can make with the championships is that clubs/teams who are giving the two codes a serious crack seem to progressing much better than those who don't.
Naomh Eanna are fully committed to be a dual senior club and from their games I've seen this year I'd give them a great chance in the football.
Of the four football teams left in the championship all are still fighting on both fronts.
St Martins Senior Football Semi Final, Senior Hurling Quarter Final
Gusserane Senior Football semi final, Intermediate A hurling semi-final
Castletown Senior Football Semi Final, Intermediate A hurling semi-final
Glynn Barntown Senior Football Semi Final, Senior Hurling Quarter Final

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1175 - 16/09/2019 14:34:30    2236112

Link

I didn't realise that all of Gusserane's scores came from play. Wow that is a phenomenal achievement, and an extremely rare occurrance at this level. Certainly made a statement, and I actually fancy them to beat Glynn, as while the Killurin lads set up well and are hard to breakdown, they don't have the same array of attackers as Gusserane.

I contest an earlier posters claim too that Martin's will have the physical edge on Castletown. It didn't appear that way when they met in round one, and Castletown came back training later than usual so were behind in their fitness. They have beaten most teams in the physical stakes, and it was that factor that got them over the line yesterday too. Whichever forward unit clicks on the day will be the difference, and both sides are well-matched in that regard.

beano (Wexford) - Posts: 364 - 16/09/2019 15:35:43    2236160

Link

Who is over st annes footballers this year?
Hard to believe they relegated with the players they have and experience they have.
Something must not have been right

freshoh (Wexford) - Posts: 126 - 16/09/2019 21:36:02    2236363

Link

Replying To freshoh:  "Who is over st annes footballers this year?
Hard to believe they relegated with the players they have and experience they have.
Something must not have been right"
Was it David Murphy ??? Any one she'd any light ??

Lockerroomboy (Wexford) - Posts: 77 - 17/09/2019 11:22:50    2236543

Link

Big weekend of hurling to look forward to!! Ferns and Gorey will probably be a good game but i just think gorey have to many lads to score!! I think if u dont give paul morris space and man mark him hes in trouble and if u dont give frees away i think ferns havnt got a whole lot goin for them!! Ian byrne doesnt do enough outside frees to help ferns!! Gorey have plenty of fire power and mac and dunbar are a serious handful along with doyle!! I think gorey will just have to much for ferns who just look fading force!! Goery by 4+

Rapps v Annes i think this is like above rapps have to many good hurlers to much fire power!!Annes Club seems to be struggling even with the two county lads there team seems to be struggling and seem to be carrying to many players,i think rapps by 4+ now that they are out of football it might help!!

St martins v barntown,seems to be trouble in the martins camp,but that seems to be always the case!! Fethard fully deserving winners the last day and have there keeper to thank for that!! If those goals went in the martins would have won handy!! I think if the martins click then barntown in serious bother!! Iv seen barntown a couple of times and not very impressive dont score enough and very reliant on garry moore and mark fanning to score frees!! Martins by 5+ now it could be any amount really and wouldnt be one bit suprised if martins didnt turn up either!!

Shels v ratnure im goin to give ratnure a chance here i like the way they play unlucky in a few games in group games i think they might sneak this in a tight game!! Just not convinced by shels really!! Id nearly always go with an out and out hurling club in these situations!! Ratnure by 2+

Harriers v Oylegate i find this a hard game to call!! Oylegate missing podge is huge but harriers are missing there leader in richie kehoe,massive loss!!! I think they are missing colm heffernan aswell,thats 2 big losses!! Harries have been very poor all year!! Look lost,take chin out of game and cut down on frees then harriers are struggling!! One man cant win a game!! Oylegate started the year well but just fell away a bit,i think they might have a better team maybe and might shade it,seem to be scoring more in games than harriers!! Think oylgate might shade it very tough to call!! An awful game to be involved in!!!

theboys (Wexford) - Posts: 164 - 17/09/2019 12:29:35    2236570

Link

Replying To theboys:  "Big weekend of hurling to look forward to!! Ferns and Gorey will probably be a good game but i just think gorey have to many lads to score!! I think if u dont give paul morris space and man mark him hes in trouble and if u dont give frees away i think ferns havnt got a whole lot goin for them!! Ian byrne doesnt do enough outside frees to help ferns!! Gorey have plenty of fire power and mac and dunbar are a serious handful along with doyle!! I think gorey will just have to much for ferns who just look fading force!! Goery by 4+

Rapps v Annes i think this is like above rapps have to many good hurlers to much fire power!!Annes Club seems to be struggling even with the two county lads there team seems to be struggling and seem to be carrying to many players,i think rapps by 4+ now that they are out of football it might help!!

St martins v barntown,seems to be trouble in the martins camp,but that seems to be always the case!! Fethard fully deserving winners the last day and have there keeper to thank for that!! If those goals went in the martins would have won handy!! I think if the martins click then barntown in serious bother!! Iv seen barntown a couple of times and not very impressive dont score enough and very reliant on garry moore and mark fanning to score frees!! Martins by 5+ now it could be any amount really and wouldnt be one bit suprised if martins didnt turn up either!!

Shels v ratnure im goin to give ratnure a chance here i like the way they play unlucky in a few games in group games i think they might sneak this in a tight game!! Just not convinced by shels really!! Id nearly always go with an out and out hurling club in these situations!! Ratnure by 2+

Harriers v Oylegate i find this a hard game to call!! Oylegate missing podge is huge but harriers are missing there leader in richie kehoe,massive loss!!! I think they are missing colm heffernan aswell,thats 2 big losses!! Harries have been very poor all year!! Look lost,take chin out of game and cut down on frees then harriers are struggling!! One man cant win a game!! Oylegate started the year well but just fell away a bit,i think they might have a better team maybe and might shade it,seem to be scoring more in games than harriers!! Think oylgate might shade it very tough to call!! An awful game to be involved in!!!"
Rapps are playing rathnure and Anne's v shels

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 1518 - 17/09/2019 13:05:34    2236585

Link

Replying To theboys:  "Big weekend of hurling to look forward to!! Ferns and Gorey will probably be a good game but i just think gorey have to many lads to score!! I think if u dont give paul morris space and man mark him hes in trouble and if u dont give frees away i think ferns havnt got a whole lot goin for them!! Ian byrne doesnt do enough outside frees to help ferns!! Gorey have plenty of fire power and mac and dunbar are a serious handful along with doyle!! I think gorey will just have to much for ferns who just look fading force!! Goery by 4+

Harriers v Oylegate i find this a hard game to call!! Oylegate missing podge is huge but harriers are missing there leader in richie kehoe,massive loss!!! I think they are missing colm heffernan aswell,thats 2 big losses!! Harries have been very poor all year!! Look lost,take chin out of game and cut down on frees then harriers are struggling!! One man cant win a game!! Oylegate started the year well but just fell away a bit,i think they might have a better team maybe and might shade it,seem to be scoring more in games than harriers!! Think oylgate might shade it very tough to call!! An awful game to be involved in!!!"
if you're going to give predictions at least make them for games actually on and not fictional ones ;)

hurlin101 (Wexford) - Posts: 89 - 17/09/2019 13:30:02    2236593

Link

You have the pairings wrong

Onfor15 (Wexford) - Posts: 132 - 17/09/2019 13:49:09    2236604

Link

#DeleteDeleteDelete

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1175 - 17/09/2019 14:32:20    2236624

Link