Wexford Forum

Local Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I don't think Skinner said this maliciously having a cut at the CB, just answered a question honestly and realised straight away even half back tracked while answering, not criticising wexford today in any way there doing a brilliant job promoting all sports in wexford but when I saw this Tuesday night my 1st taught was I taught they would have edited it out, they shouldn't have to resort to that but we all know the nod and wink GAA mentality. County Board as mentioned probably couldn't have navigated this better, I'd imagine the video proves very little when push comes to shove, been realistic about it I'd confidently bet a large amount that every Liam McCarthy team would have some form of unsactioned training in recent weeks, if a manager gets word of another county doing some form of training there not going to let others get a leg up on them.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2151 - 09/07/2020 20:35:51    2283613

Link

Not sure Davy has handled things very well.

gahfan (Wexford) - Posts: 474 - 09/07/2020 22:05:42    2283621

Link

Wex today are doing brilliant nd were rite to publish. I see john forgarty has article in examiner now about Rapps chairman clarifyin that the injury happened in club. Training. Hopefully that's the end of that .

youngroryjacob (Wexford) - Posts: 89 - 09/07/2020 23:22:50    2283628

Link

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/rapparees-confirm-wexford-star-ryan-injured-foot-with-club-not-county-1010320.html

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2151 - 10/07/2020 01:08:21    2283634

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "I don't think Skinner said this maliciously having a cut at the CB, just answered a question honestly and realised straight away even half back tracked while answering, not criticising wexford today in any way there doing a brilliant job promoting all sports in wexford but when I saw this Tuesday night my 1st taught was I taught they would have edited it out, they shouldn't have to resort to that but we all know the nod and wink GAA mentality. County Board as mentioned probably couldn't have navigated this better, I'd imagine the video proves very little when push comes to shove, been realistic about it I'd confidently bet a large amount that every Liam McCarthy team would have some form of unsactioned training in recent weeks, if a manager gets word of another county doing some form of training there not going to let others get a leg up on them."
Do you think if the interview was given to RTE or a newspaper they'd have edited it out? Or to some of them online tabloids like pundit arena or sportsjoe? It would have been sensationalised to the last. The phrase don't shoot the messenger comes to mind. The messenger isn't the issue in this case, the disregard for the rules during a global pandemic is the issue. And from what I've heard from very reliable people is that liam Ryan getting the injury is not actually the main cause of anger.

Anyway there will be absolutely no consequences to this for Wexford because even though it is true, the video as you say proves nothing and county chairmen agreed earlier this week that the only way a team can be reported is if a club secretary writes to Croke park. There isn't a hope of that happening. No club or club official would want that stigma attached.

I'd be surprised if there are any county teams sticking to the rules 100%.

This will all be old news by next week and we'll be looking forward to getting back watching club championship games

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1144 - 10/07/2020 01:48:05    2283635

Link

I reckon Skinner said things accidentally all right. If you look at the video, he actually starts to say "training" and then quickly corrects himself to say "doing something" instead. As wexico15 says above, it could have been edited out, or they could have recorded a "take 2" and used that instead. It wouldn't be the first time that was ever done for a video interview.

By the way Beano, I didn't say anything like "all the county board executives are as reticent to the media as the chairman". I said I could be wrong, but I reckon certain others (not all!) might share his view.

I'm thinking of two in particular, but I don't want to say here who they are. And anyway, as I've said twice now, I could be wrong. In fact, it's one of those times when I actually hope I'm wrong, because it's not a very healthy view for anybody to have in the first place.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 279 - 10/07/2020 08:19:22    2283639

Link

A lot of stuff appearing here now that was written last night or in the early hours of today, and which wasn't actually online when I wrote the above post earlier this morning.

Anyway, normally I'd be among the first to say "don't shoot the messenger", and no, a national or other outside organisation wouldn't have edited it out. But when the messenger is a local organisation that wants to be closely aligned to Wexford GAA and wants to be seen to be supportive of it, it could have been a little more tactful here.

As regards the statement from the Rapps....things just get messier and messier. We now basically have a club chairman saying in public that a key team mentor didn't tell properly where or how one of their key players was injured. Doesn't make sense.

But hopefully it really is the case that there can only be an investigation if a club lodges an official complaint about county training, because it's unlikely that Rapps or any other club will actually do that.

And bottom line is that the whole controversy could have been avoided altogether if either or both Skinner and wexfordtoday.com had acted differently in the first place. That's an absolute fact, no matter what anybody thinks about the rights or wrongs of either of them.

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 279 - 10/07/2020 09:53:31    2283650

Link

Is there any truth that Liam Ryan got injured doing a keepy uppy challenge in his back garden. My sources tell me he fell over a wheelbarrow somewhere around 264 and ended up knocking over a garden gnome that hit a rake and the violent crash of the handle of the rake broke the bone in his foot? Could be just a rumour though?

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1345 - 10/07/2020 10:12:40    2283654

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "Is there any truth that Liam Ryan got injured doing a keepy uppy challenge in his back garden. My sources tell me he fell over a wheelbarrow somewhere around 264 and ended up knocking over a garden gnome that hit a rake and the violent crash of the handle of the rake broke the bone in his foot? Could be just a rumour though?"
jagerbomb drinking contest was what i heard.
slipped on number 5,fell over.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3709 - 10/07/2020 10:20:18    2283655

Link

Anybody that believes the club chairman's statement needs their head examined. If the player had got injured with the club the team mentor would have said that. Why would he mention the county if it wasn't true. He's probably seriously pissed off that his team's preparations for championship are being affected so badly due to the county board not having the balls to stand up to Davy.

manager5 (Galway) - Posts: 720 - 10/07/2020 12:39:39    2283674

Link

Welcome to the Galway man.

Just wondering can you state 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt that your county team is definitely not training, because your County Board did indeed "have the balls" to stand up to your manager?

Pikeman96 (Wexford) - Posts: 279 - 10/07/2020 13:28:46    2283680

Link

While we're on the front of players getting injured - one that has been very quiet because it's not a senior county player. I have been reliably told by a number of sources a young St. Martins player on the fringes of team seriously injured (broken leg) in a in house game prior to contact being allowed a few weeks back. The so called advantage that teams are trying to get will naturally backfire eventually and it is the players I have sympathy for. Although they agree to it they don't have much choice in the end do they especially when places are so competitive in these cases.

WX2017 (Wexford) - Posts: 8 - 10/07/2020 15:28:37    2283698

Link

so let me get this right.skinner managing the rapps,one of the the best hurler in the country gets injured,and he didnt know about it until liam showed up with a boot on the next night?
was he not at this training session?or how did he miss it?was anybody at this training session?did none of the coaches tell him?

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3709 - 10/07/2020 15:34:13    2283699

Link

Replying To 890202:  "Do you think if the interview was given to RTE or a newspaper they'd have edited it out? Or to some of them online tabloids like pundit arena or sportsjoe? It would have been sensationalised to the last. The phrase don't shoot the messenger comes to mind. The messenger isn't the issue in this case, the disregard for the rules during a global pandemic is the issue. And from what I've heard from very reliable people is that liam Ryan getting the injury is not actually the main cause of anger.

Anyway there will be absolutely no consequences to this for Wexford because even though it is true, the video as you say proves nothing and county chairmen agreed earlier this week that the only way a team can be reported is if a club secretary writes to Croke park. There isn't a hope of that happening. No club or club official would want that stigma attached.

I'd be surprised if there are any county teams sticking to the rules 100%.

This will all be old news by next week and we'll be looking forward to getting back watching club championship games"
I'm not shooting the messenger, I taught for their own prerogative they would have left it out but the rapps comments no matter how sceptical we are of them will probably put this to bed, as the saying goes its what you know that matters it what you can prove in court. As I said Wexford today are doing a great job and it was disappointing to see the guys from all rounder podcast another local media outlet didn't even get a reply from the county board when they emailed offering to stream games.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2151 - 10/07/2020 22:56:03    2283734

Link

Replying To Pikeman96:  "A lot of stuff appearing here now that was written last night or in the early hours of today, and which wasn't actually online when I wrote the above post earlier this morning.

Anyway, normally I'd be among the first to say "don't shoot the messenger", and no, a national or other outside organisation wouldn't have edited it out. But when the messenger is a local organisation that wants to be closely aligned to Wexford GAA and wants to be seen to be supportive of it, it could have been a little more tactful here.

As regards the statement from the Rapps....things just get messier and messier. We now basically have a club chairman saying in public that a key team mentor didn't tell properly where or how one of their key players was injured. Doesn't make sense.

But hopefully it really is the case that there can only be an investigation if a club lodges an official complaint about county training, because it's unlikely that Rapps or any other club will actually do that.

And bottom line is that the whole controversy could have been avoided altogether if either or both Skinner and wexfordtoday.com had acted differently in the first place. That's an absolute fact, no matter what anybody thinks about the rights or wrongs of either of them."
On the rappsI think its sweep it under the carpet nothing to see here scenario

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2151 - 10/07/2020 22:57:55    2283735

Link

Might aswel do some predictions for next weekend:

Senior:
Martins v Oulart- pre lockdown there was strong rumours of discontent in oulart with several established names regrading to intermediate going on all accounts, interesting to see if they've circulated the wagons, can only see comfortable Martins win all things considered you'd imagine under meyler they'll be looking to make a statement
Rathnure v annes- potential to be game of the weekend rathnure full of pace maybe lacking size going away from their dogged stereotype up in the footsteps of the blackstairs, annes unlikely finalists last year but showed their ability to produce a big performance on the big occasion, I'd give a hesitant vote to rathnure who I would put along with gorey and possible contenders to derail the Martins
Rapps v Shels- If jibbo was fit I'd say it's a 50/50 but with him out you'd have to give shels the edge, this is the group of death so if there is a loser they'll be I under big pressure. Rapps have underperformed badly in last 2 semi finals so interesting to see if their confidence has taken a hit.
Ferns v harriers- Harriers will be interesting with the influence of Derek McGrath and potential influx of young players from recent minor winning teams, I think it will take them another year or 2 to adjust to this level, I'd go with Ferns who seem to have a good balance of youth and experience in their side

Intermediate:
Oilgate v St James- Oilgate who I'd have strong favourites to come straight back up
Crossabeg v Cushinstown- Crossabeg have been unpredictable in the couple of years and I think are due to lose a few lads to travel, maybe covid has effected that, I'd still to think they've enough to win this one
Bunclody v Ballygarrett- Bunclody
B Alley v Monageer- Alley

Intermediate A-
Gusserane v Rosslare- Gusserane
Liam Mellows v St Pats- Mellows
New Ross v Shels- Ross
Shamrocks v Craanford- Shamrocks

Junior:
Rathnure v Ballyhogue- Rathnure
Ferns v Rapps- Rapps
Monageer v Bannow- Monageer
Martins v Harriers- Martins