Wicklow Forum

WICKLOW HURLING 2018

(Oldest Posts First)

I've become a huge admirer of Seamus Murphy ,the Man is striving to take Wicklow to the next level & now with A team entered in the Kehoe Cup & a 2nd Team in the Walsh Cup you can see he's giving it everything to advance Wicklow Hurling as swiftly as he can & giving more Hurlers a chance to Hurl for their county ,Thinking outside the box can be a great thing but I think ,if giving enough support & Time then Seamus could elevate Wicklow Hurling into he Leinster Championship proper in the coming years ,People claim Wicklow is one if not the most undeveloped GAA county In Ireland but with a man of this coaching caliber & forward thinking ,then the potential for Hurling to strive in the Garden County is vast

emerald79 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 56 - 20/12/2017 13:30:07    2065687

Link

Some great work being done at underage. This year we had 16 teams at U11 over 2 divisions. Clubs like Bray, Eire og and Pats have tons of kids playing. Just needs a few more years work to bring this onto senior level.

liam500 (Wicklow) - Posts: 54 - 20/12/2017 20:07:46    2065722

Link

Seamus done excellent work last year, from being in a league relegation the year before to plating in the league final.
Has anyone heard anything what the two panels are shaping up like?

WW9 (Wicklow) - Posts: 81 - 27/12/2017 14:59:13    2066034

Link

Well lads, any comments on the match today? I was at it and can easily see that Wexford are just on a different level. In pure physique alone, I'd say the average Wexford player had 3 or 4 inches on us, their forwards especially towered over our backs. Not sure what can be done about that except just get more of a player pool. 1-12 I suppose isn't bad a score against such opposition. Well done to our forwards. I would be of the opinion that we do play in this competition each year just to get a barometer of where we are. For me, Ronan Keddy stood out as the one player we have that could hurl at Wexfords standard.

liam500 (Wicklow) - Posts: 54 - 07/01/2018 22:53:07    2067260

Link

Was at the game and agree with most of that but we were short 6 certain starters in Chester ,Henderson,Mikey,Christy,Danny and Kearns.They would of made a big difference to the team ,I'd like to know why players such as Petey Keane, George O'Brien were send up to Louth,surely there good enough for the A squad

brollyboy (Wicklow) - Posts: 110 - 08/01/2018 23:23:30    2067433

Link

Replying To brollyboy:  "Was at the game and agree with most of that but we were short 6 certain starters in Chester ,Henderson,Mikey,Christy,Danny and Kearns.They would of made a big difference to the team ,I'd like to know why players such as Petey Keane, George O'Brien were send up to Louth,surely there good enough for the A squad"
On a different thread a few weeks ago I expressed my view on the task facing Mr Murphy. Fair play to him, but he has his hands full. We are now being beaten by and pushed hard by teams who wouldn't have stood in the same field as us a few yrs back. This is not being big headed, it is just being realistic. Older former county hurlers must be shaking their heads. Down were always a tricky team and probably on a par with Wicklow at least if not a little better but, Longford, Donegal, Mayo ? hardly hurling strongholds. Where is the pride gone or does anybody give a toss ??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 32 - 25/02/2018 15:53:11    2080011

Link

I think both games are suffering in Wicklow for some reason, Wicklow probably were at their best at hurling in the mid 90s plus kiltegan were tricky in leinster, as for football it seems to be gone to the dogs too.

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 306 - 28/02/2018 14:09:58    2081235

Link

Hi, I have an interest in how club hurling is run/catered for in different counties. What are the club hurling competition structures like in Wicklow for adult players? How many games can a senior, intermediate or junior hurler expect to play a season in league, championship or other competitions. Do your clubs play elsewhere also?
Thks.

Tadhgmacda (Limerick) - Posts: 42 - 02/03/2018 21:16:17    2081639

Link

Replying To Tadhgmacda:  "Hi, I have an interest in how club hurling is run/catered for in different counties. What are the club hurling competition structures like in Wicklow for adult players? How many games can a senior, intermediate or junior hurler expect to play a season in league, championship or other competitions. Do your clubs play elsewhere also?
Thks."
Others would be more qualified than me to make an informed assessment of hurling within the county but I will offer my opinion anyway. One difficulty with the progression of hurling in our county is the small number of genuine senior clubs. Some former powerhouses in the county have fallen on lean times, most notably Avondale, Barndarrig, Arklow Rocks and Kiltegan. Kiltegan are showing signs of revival and Avondale have managed to hold their senior status without really threatening. One possible reason for a perceived decline in hurling is maybe a lack of interest or coaching of juveniles by their own clubs. Two clubs who have invested time and effort in their juveniles are Bray Emmett's and Eire Og Greystones. Bray have reaped the benefits and Greystones are not far away. The two clubs who have consistently worked with their juveniles over the years, Carnew Emmets and Glenealy have ruled the roost in the county for decades now, apart for a spell of dominance by Kiltegan, who as I say are showing signs of a revival. Perhaps this will give you a small insight as to how hurling functions in the county, note I say functions, not flourishes. I look forward to some more informed contributions from other interested parties.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 32 - 02/03/2018 22:23:20    2081645

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Others would be more qualified than me to make an informed assessment of hurling within the county but I will offer my opinion anyway. One difficulty with the progression of hurling in our county is the small number of genuine senior clubs. Some former powerhouses in the county have fallen on lean times, most notably Avondale, Barndarrig, Arklow Rocks and Kiltegan. Kiltegan are showing signs of revival and Avondale have managed to hold their senior status without really threatening. One possible reason for a perceived decline in hurling is maybe a lack of interest or coaching of juveniles by their own clubs. Two clubs who have invested time and effort in their juveniles are Bray Emmett's and Eire Og Greystones. Bray have reaped the benefits and Greystones are not far away. The two clubs who have consistently worked with their juveniles over the years, Carnew Emmets and Glenealy have ruled the roost in the county for decades now, apart for a spell of dominance by Kiltegan, who as I say are showing signs of a revival. Perhaps this will give you a small insight as to how hurling functions in the county, note I say functions, not flourishes. I look forward to some more informed contributions from other interested parties."
Perfect synopsis. Apart from Avondale being Senior. Think they have dropped to Intermediate now or maybe even just 1 team playing at Junior level? I don't see them fixtured for any league hurling at senior or intermediate, I only see them in the leinster leagues.
Glenealy back on top of Wicklow hurling scene but big advances being made with all the other Senior clubs. I think this year could see a very competitive championship. Obviously too early to state but hard to look over Glenealy winning again but St. Pats, Bray, Eire Og, Carnew all capable of giving them a good game on the day. 2018 going to be a good Senior championship. Kiltegan might just need another year or 2 to make serious impressions but definitely going about it the right way.

SidelineSupreme (Wicklow) - Posts: 147 - 06/03/2018 15:56:46    2082235

Link

Thks lads. How many games could I expect to play in hurling in a season if I was a club hurler only in Wicklow? What's the structure of the championship, is there a league as well and do the clubs play in Dublin or Wexford leagues?
Thks

Tadhgmacda (Limerick) - Posts: 42 - 07/03/2018 08:42:44    2082373

Link

Replying To Tadhgmacda:  "Thks lads. How many games could I expect to play in hurling in a season if I was a club hurler only in Wicklow? What's the structure of the championship, is there a league as well and do the clubs play in Dublin or Wexford leagues?
Thks"
Someone may need to clarify this because I think some changes to the hurling have been implanted for this year. To the best of my knowledge there are now only 6 Senior hurling teams. There is usually a Spring league played so that would be at least 5 games (granted the league finishes) and this is played before the championship which has previously been played as a league structure. So you play the 5 opposing teams and based on positioning this leaves the top 2 tiered into the semis and follows down along for quarter final places etc. Again, this is how it has been previously run but things may have changed. Realistically there should be a couple less games this year granted that there are now only 6 competing Senior teams where there were 7 last year. Best of luck if you decide to join Wicklow hurling. New players are a welcomed influence.

SidelineSupreme (Wicklow) - Posts: 147 - 07/03/2018 09:10:27    2082377

Link

Replying To SidelineSupreme:  "Someone may need to clarify this because I think some changes to the hurling have been implanted for this year. To the best of my knowledge there are now only 6 Senior hurling teams. There is usually a Spring league played so that would be at least 5 games (granted the league finishes) and this is played before the championship which has previously been played as a league structure. So you play the 5 opposing teams and based on positioning this leaves the top 2 tiered into the semis and follows down along for quarter final places etc. Again, this is how it has been previously run but things may have changed. Realistically there should be a couple less games this year granted that there are now only 6 competing Senior teams where there were 7 last year. Best of luck if you decide to join Wicklow hurling. New players are a welcomed influence."
Seems like we have to congratulate our neighbours again for a fine achievement in being promoted to 1B of the National Hurling League. More proof if it were needed of the rewards for putting hard work into juvenile structures. Unfortunately I don't think that some of our clubs have been cooperating with the structures and programmes put in place for our juvenile hurlers in recent years. Not that these structures etc in themselves have been above criticism. It's probably fair to say that hurling is very much the poor relation when it comes to resources in this county. I also think it's fair to say that the standard of hurling has fallen even further than football has in the last 50 yrs or so. In the seventies we won Intermediate and Junior All Irelands in the same year. That was our second Junior in a few yrs. nowadays we would scarcely beat a camogie team from a decent hurling county, in fact I'm sure we wouldn't . I'm sorry for being downbeat, but I love the game of hurling and to see Wicklow being beaten by some of the counties we have been beaten by this year is disgraceful to my mind.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 32 - 24/03/2018 20:58:46    2087540

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Seems like we have to congratulate our neighbours again for a fine achievement in being promoted to 1B of the National Hurling League. More proof if it were needed of the rewards for putting hard work into juvenile structures. Unfortunately I don't think that some of our clubs have been cooperating with the structures and programmes put in place for our juvenile hurlers in recent years. Not that these structures etc in themselves have been above criticism. It's probably fair to say that hurling is very much the poor relation when it comes to resources in this county. I also think it's fair to say that the standard of hurling has fallen even further than football has in the last 50 yrs or so. In the seventies we won Intermediate and Junior All Irelands in the same year. That was our second Junior in a few yrs. nowadays we would scarcely beat a camogie team from a decent hurling county, in fact I'm sure we wouldn't . I'm sorry for being downbeat, but I love the game of hurling and to see Wicklow being beaten by some of the counties we have been beaten by this year is disgraceful to my mind."
50 years.....get real,In the 80's, 90's Wicklow were competing in Div 2 and holding there own, Wicklow won the All Ireland B in the early 00's and bet the likes of Carlow and Kerry along the way, We got bet in 2 ring finals also in the last few years, on the club sense Kiltegan qualified for leinster senior club semi finals in the 90's and i'm nearly sure Carnew qualified for leinster senior club semi finals in the 00's, I'm sure theres more examples also. All this coming from a very small pool of Hurling clubs and been the poor relation in the county.

brollyboy (Wicklow) - Posts: 110 - 25/03/2018 17:37:28    2087780

Link

Point taken Brolleyboy. But in my defense, the eighties and nineties are only a little younger than the seventies. Also, if you look at the league setup from those times, Carlow and Kerry didn't figure prominently. But we are on the same page I think regarding the present situation. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, some of the teams you mentioned are struggling for numbers at underage. The larger towns are ok and Kiltegan have a massive hinterland from which to pick. We had a little success in the U21 special grade and hopefully those guys are still around. I think also that Carlow were able to trouble Wexford and even Kilkenny
at minor level in recent yrs, also did their champions also win a Leinster club a few yrs back. Fair play to them for their recent successes. Hopefully our time might come.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 32 - 25/03/2018 20:11:47    2087907

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Seems like we have to congratulate our neighbours again for a fine achievement in being promoted to 1B of the National Hurling League. More proof if it were needed of the rewards for putting hard work into juvenile structures. Unfortunately I don't think that some of our clubs have been cooperating with the structures and programmes put in place for our juvenile hurlers in recent years. Not that these structures etc in themselves have been above criticism. It's probably fair to say that hurling is very much the poor relation when it comes to resources in this county. I also think it's fair to say that the standard of hurling has fallen even further than football has in the last 50 yrs or so. In the seventies we won Intermediate and Junior All Irelands in the same year. That was our second Junior in a few yrs. nowadays we would scarcely beat a camogie team from a decent hurling county, in fact I'm sure we wouldn't . I'm sorry for being downbeat, but I love the game of hurling and to see Wicklow being beaten by some of the counties we have been beaten by this year is disgraceful to my mind."
That is not coerect. Wicklow hurling has always given good value considering the small number of clubs in the county. Just because they have one average year doesn't change that.

Gaelic football is dead in this county.

sponger (Wicklow) - Posts: 2658 - 29/03/2018 17:43:14    2089391

Link

Well at u9 level, there are 16 clubs hurling in the go games. All that is needed is a big effort to keep these kids playing as they get older.

liam500 (Wicklow) - Posts: 54 - 01/04/2018 18:20:09    2090053

Link