Wicklow Forum

WICKLOW HURLING 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Wicklowman:  "How are Wicklow looking ahead of the weekend match v Mayo? Have we many injuries? Any surprises up our sleeves?"
I think the hurlers should do well, I'd be expecting a win, I see Mikey Lee is back with panel and the chap from Wexford is with them as well, both two assets so hopefully a good crowd gets into aughrim to give the team some support.

WW9 (Wicklow) - Posts: 98 - 10/05/2018 11:29:28    2097792

Link

Ours forwards look very strong but if the rumours are true about chester been out the he'll be a big loss.... here's hoping for a good Christy Ring

brollyboy (Wicklow) - Posts: 115 - 10/05/2018 13:46:28    2097834

Link

Replying To brollyboy:  "Ours forwards look very strong but if the rumours are true about chester been out the he'll be a big loss.... here's hoping for a good Christy Ring"
What's happened Chester? Is he definitely out? It'd be a pity, he is excellent and would certainly be a huge loss, any other injury doubts ?

WW9 (Wicklow) - Posts: 98 - 10/05/2018 15:00:45    2097870

Link

Disaster result yesterday. If we had won we would have a home semi vs Derry.

Now we are away to London.....

sponger (Wicklow) - Posts: 2673 - 03/06/2018 14:29:28    2106755

Link

I think it's neutral venues for semi finals.

hairyfoot (Wicklow) - Posts: 94 - 03/06/2018 18:13:56    2106940

Link

London in Carlow at 12.30

WW9 (Wicklow) - Posts: 98 - 05/06/2018 11:57:04    2107627

Link

Congrats to Glenealy on retaining their crown today. Some pretty good hurling on view from both teams particularly the second half. The first half was a bit surreal. Carnew showed their true ability in the second when they took a double digit deficit back to two pts. Fair play to the winners for weathering that storm and pulling away again. I thought it was a good sporting contest except for a couple on totally unnecessary fouls towards the end. I heard a few Carnew supporters bemoaning the refereeing which I couldn't really agree with. I thought there were two incidents in the first half that could possibly be described as dodgy but there was one for each side. I was particularly impressed with the skill-and bravery of young Staunton in the Glenealy goal.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 21/10/2018 20:06:57    2147517

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Congrats to Glenealy on retaining their crown today. Some pretty good hurling on view from both teams particularly the second half. The first half was a bit surreal. Carnew showed their true ability in the second when they took a double digit deficit back to two pts. Fair play to the winners for weathering that storm and pulling away again. I thought it was a good sporting contest except for a couple on totally unnecessary fouls towards the end. I heard a few Carnew supporters bemoaning the refereeing which I couldn't really agree with. I thought there were two incidents in the first half that could possibly be described as dodgy but there was one for each side. I was particularly impressed with the skill-and bravery of young Staunton in the Glenealy goal."
Young Staunton was immense in the goal. It was a thoroughly enjoyable final. Glenealy looked out of sight at half time but credit to Carnew, they battled back very well. Game was played, and refereed very well by all until last incident of match which resulted in a bad injury to Glenealy player. Referee was 100% right to show red card. No need for tackle. Well done Glenealy and best of luck in Leinster.

Monopoly (Wicklow) - Posts: 188 - 21/10/2018 22:19:54    2147560

Link

A great senior final,Glenealy again worthy champions but Carnew will have to be kicking themselves of why they never turned up in the first half because when they started to hurl, Glenealy had no answer to them and they just left themselves with to much to do, the Glenealy goalie made some great saves and young Bosco was class.... the future of hurling is bright in the county with some displays of many young players from both teams

brollyboy (Wicklow) - Posts: 115 - 24/10/2018 10:20:57    2148067

Link

Replying To brollyboy:  "A great senior final,Glenealy again worthy champions but Carnew will have to be kicking themselves of why they never turned up in the first half because when they started to hurl, Glenealy had no answer to them and they just left themselves with to much to do, the Glenealy goalie made some great saves and young Bosco was class.... the future of hurling is bright in the county with some displays of many young players from both teams"
Having witnessed some of the club hurling games this year I can't share the same optimism as yourself about the future of Wicklow hurling. The overall quality was poor and to lose out to an average portlaoise side in provincial championship is also worrying.

[email protected] (Galway) - Posts: 5 - 09/11/2018 15:45:49    2150404

Link

Replying To [email protected]:  "Having witnessed some of the club hurling games this year I can't share the same optimism as yourself about the future of Wicklow hurling. The overall quality was poor and to lose out to an average portlaoise side in provincial championship is also worrying."
As a lifelong hurling fan it pains me to have to agree with the above opinion. I was disappointed too with that Glenealy display against Portlaoise. The first 10/15 mins were promising and then the physically bigger and stronger team took over. Glenealy still could have forced a draw or a win but in truth that would have hardly been deserved. If our senior champions can't beat the intermediate champions of a county that could hardly be classed top rank, we should be a bit more realistic about where we are at. After last year when Glenealy should have been crowned Leinster intermediate champions, the same standard doesn't seem to have been carried on or improved on. I realise I will probably get slated for this post but hey, don't shoot the messenge.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 09/11/2018 21:46:20    2150469

Link

Eamonn Scallan appointed County Senior manager - a good appointment in my opinion. Will be interesting to see who he brings in with him, particularly the local ones.

ogra (Wicklow) - Posts: 137 - 15/11/2018 13:49:41    2151226

Link