Monaghan Forum

Junior League 2018

(Oldest Posts First)

I've heard word that Corduff are entering a team again in junior and Carrickmacross are also entering a team,
League structure to change to suit. single league 11 games then split again into cup and shield (top 6 and bottom 6).
should a fourth tier be introduced with promotion and relegation instead of messing up div. 3.

bigbarneyross (Monaghan) - Posts: 135 - 19/12/2017 14:15:52    2065603

Link

If this is true it is making a complete mockery of the junior competition. Corduff brought nothing to the party when they entered the competition a few years ago so just would not understand the rationale of them being allowed to enter again. Carrick probably have a stronger pick but their current reserve team wasn't even playing in the top division of the B leagues and were in Division 3 2 years ago!! Perhaps it would suit the stronger teams such as Cremartin, Emyvale and Clones but for the other teams it would not be giving them a fair chance of home and away vs 9 other teams.

MonaghanGa3l (USA) - Posts: 6 - 29/12/2017 10:19:53    2066132

Link

The proposal is for Truagh and Corduff to join Junior, making it a 12 team competition and splitting into two groups of six after round 1.

Whatever about the merit of Truagh joining, how are Corduff allowed in again? Their reserve team was in the bottom division of reserve football last year and they were not near competitive two years ago in junior.

Once they allowed Scotstown enter a number of years ago it was inevitable others would follow, seems that they want to turn junior football into a "feeder" to some of the big senior clubs.

sporto (Monaghan) - Posts: 124 - 17/01/2018 10:37:31    2068813

Link

Absolute farce allowing Truagh, Carrick and especially Corduff into the Junior competition, it's making a mockery of the Junior clubs trying their best to compete with the goal of getting out of Junior. I'm sure if you put it to the players they would have zero interest in playing against second/third teams. Clearly being used as a feeder for the bigger clubs at the smaller clubs expense. Some of the teams may pick up points before the first round of championship but after that players are ineligible and it becomes a waste of time.

gaelicg (Monaghan) - Posts: 2 - 17/01/2018 13:14:25    2068863

Link

New league format Intermediate and Senior
Anyone know what the story is with the new league proposals that were given to clubs last week
9 star games
9 Non star games 5 points for a win and 2 points for a draw - the star games 2pts for a win and 1 for a draw as normal

Seemingly with Ulster Final now in June and county football nearly every 2 weeks it means that club football would almost close down completely during the summer under the existing structure

FrankAnnyalla (Monaghan) - Posts: 305 - 20/01/2018 18:24:59    2069494

Link

Really hope that's not passed, the ratio is all wrong ; 45 points for the star games and only 18 for non star games is way off
It effectively becomes a single league , only need to win 5/6 star games which in turn could turn it into a championship scenario
Meaning the rest of the games become irrelevant

MONAGHAN1985 (Monaghan) - Posts: 33 - 20/01/2018 21:25:29    2069528

Link

Replying To MONAGHAN1985:  "Really hope that's not passed, the ratio is all wrong ; 45 points for the star games and only 18 for non star games is way off
It effectively becomes a single league , only need to win 5/6 star games which in turn could turn it into a championship scenario
Meaning the rest of the games become irrelevant"
Your wrong there - other way around 45 points on offer when clubs have full teams 18 for star games

FrankAnnyalla (Monaghan) - Posts: 305 - 20/01/2018 21:45:34    2069532

Link

Replying To FrankAnnyalla:  "Your wrong there - other way around 45 points on offer when clubs have full teams 18 for star games"
Yep , fair enough my mistake ; the point stands , the points are way out of proportion

MONAGHAN1985 (Monaghan) - Posts: 33 - 20/01/2018 22:46:38    2069546

Link

The sight of Scotstown Truagh and corduff in the draws last night for the championship made me sick. what advantage is this apart from to the clubs entering second teams. making a mockery of the junior level in monaghan considering a fair few lads from this level this year and last year are on the county team and panel.

detruth (Monaghan) - Posts: 152 - 06/02/2018 14:21:57    2074589

Link

Replying To detruth:  "The sight of Scotstown Truagh and corduff in the draws last night for the championship made me sick. what advantage is this apart from to the clubs entering second teams. making a mockery of the junior level in monaghan considering a fair few lads from this level this year and last year are on the county team and panel."
What's wrong with them entering? They are perfectly entitled to.

kupa (Monaghan) - Posts: 231 - 06/02/2018 16:30:45    2074612

Link

Replying To kupa:  "What's wrong with them entering? They are perfectly entitled to."
Corduffs B team cant even compete in their reserve division. Entitled...it has to be passed and guess where most delegates are from. Scotstown and Truagh are using it as a way to train the players not fit to make their senior squads. Making a mockery of junior football.

detruth (Monaghan) - Posts: 152 - 07/02/2018 08:43:28    2074729

Link

Replying To kupa:  "What's wrong with them entering? They are perfectly entitled to."
il tell you what's wrong with them entering... Clones, Killeevan, Aghabog, Eire Og & Rockcorry are all local derby games and now some of these teams will only play each team once and be relegated to the mickey mouse shield.. Less people are going to pay and go to the shield games to see there senior team playing corduff or Truagh B team.. who is going to compensate clubs for this loss of revenue along with the fact that players do not want to be playing B teams in junior.

Also 2 years ago corduff B team were in junior, last year they dropped out of Junior and entered the lowest reserve division 3 which they did the double in. Now all of a sudden there strong enough and back entering junior..A joke springs to mind who let them drop out of junior and enter division 3 reserve which is actually division 5 reserve (Div 1, 1a, 2a, 2b and 3)?????

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 181 - 07/02/2018 12:37:15    2074783

Link

Replying To mick2007:  "il tell you what's wrong with them entering... Clones, Killeevan, Aghabog, Eire Og & Rockcorry are all local derby games and now some of these teams will only play each team once and be relegated to the mickey mouse shield.. Less people are going to pay and go to the shield games to see there senior team playing corduff or Truagh B team.. who is going to compensate clubs for this loss of revenue along with the fact that players do not want to be playing B teams in junior.

Also 2 years ago corduff B team were in junior, last year they dropped out of Junior and entered the lowest reserve division 3 which they did the double in. Now all of a sudden there strong enough and back entering junior..A joke springs to mind who let them drop out of junior and enter division 3 reserve which is actually division 5 reserve (Div 1, 1a, 2a, 2b and 3)?????"
These clubs should be glad truagh and Scotstown are in it.. big traveling support! Not there fault the reserve leagues are too easy for them

kupa (Monaghan) - Posts: 231 - 07/02/2018 14:27:54    2074803

Link

Replying To mick2007:  "il tell you what's wrong with them entering... Clones, Killeevan, Aghabog, Eire Og & Rockcorry are all local derby games and now some of these teams will only play each team once and be relegated to the mickey mouse shield.. Less people are going to pay and go to the shield games to see there senior team playing corduff or Truagh B team.. who is going to compensate clubs for this loss of revenue along with the fact that players do not want to be playing B teams in junior.

Also 2 years ago corduff B team were in junior, last year they dropped out of Junior and entered the lowest reserve division 3 which they did the double in. Now all of a sudden there strong enough and back entering junior..A joke springs to mind who let them drop out of junior and enter division 3 reserve which is actually division 5 reserve (Div 1, 1a, 2a, 2b and 3)?????"
100% agree. Absolute joke. Corduff's B team barely beat a Clontibret C team in both the Reserves Division 3 Finals (needed a replay in one of them). It's beyond me how they can have a team entered into Junior, did they even win a game in Junior 2 years ago? As for Truagh and Scotstown, at least they'll be able to compete (I hope)

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 24 - 08/02/2018 11:06:48    2074971

Link

It makes a mockery of the competition, hopefully teams can dish out massive hammerings to these "B" and "C" teams which should put an end to it for the future. Although Corduff shipped 20/30 point beatings in a number of games in 2016 and they're back for more?!

sporto (Monaghan) - Posts: 124 - 08/02/2018 15:55:07    2075041

Link

I see by the fixtures list that the Junior Championship is starting on Apr 29th ??? next round is then on 12th August - Is this a joke or what -
The senior and intermediate are both starting late August . Have junior clubs know about this or is it a case of club delegates going to co board meetings and just nodding in agreement . This wouldnt happen senior clubs

FrankAnnyalla (Monaghan) - Posts: 305 - 22/02/2018 15:17:35    2079228

Link

Replying To FrankAnnyalla:  "I see by the fixtures list that the Junior Championship is starting on Apr 29th ??? next round is then on 12th August - Is this a joke or what -
The senior and intermediate are both starting late August . Have junior clubs know about this or is it a case of club delegates going to co board meetings and just nodding in agreement . This wouldnt happen senior clubs"
I think this is only the start of it, seems to be that fixtures this year are going to be pushed through no matter what or any regard for the time of the year! They want all competitions finished by October this year so that will put pressure on getting games played throughout the season. I can't ever remember a football championship match being played in April in Monaghan though?!

sporto (Monaghan) - Posts: 124 - 23/02/2018 10:50:33    2079408

Link

What is the story with Rock this weather?
2015 Ulster champs, year after beaten in inter final by a point, now down and out.
More worrying has to be the West's transfer saga to Latton is now been repeated by the Colm crew looking for a move to Blayney?
Seems a bit mad to me.

tadghieboy (Cork) - Posts: 56 - 15/05/2018 21:19:39    2101169

Link

Replying To tadghieboy:  "What is the story with Rock this weather?
2015 Ulster champs, year after beaten in inter final by a point, now down and out.
More worrying has to be the West's transfer saga to Latton is now been repeated by the Colm crew looking for a move to Blayney?
Seems a bit mad to me."
What's this all about

Cuppa (Monaghan) - Posts: 126 - 15/05/2018 22:13:09    2101190

Link

Replying To tadghieboy:  "What is the story with Rock this weather?
Seems a bit mad to me."
Seems a bit mad to me."

What's that all about ?

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 428 - 16/05/2018 14:54:27    2101396

Link