Wicklow Forum

County Convention 2017

(Oldest Posts First)

Congratulations Martin Fitzgerald on being elected County Chairman. A good choice in my opinion, and good luck to him.

Mick Hagan back as vice chairman is a retrograde step though. Why have the same face(s) re-cycled around ? Will he again be putting himself forward for Chairman in 3 years time ?

No significant change afoot from the motions that were passed/not passed as far as I can see. Éire Óg's motion not to have 2 Championship games within 48 hours for the same club was passed unanimously - not surprising but too late for that club themselves.

ogra (Wicklow) - 12/12/2017 15:45:58    2064997

Link

Replying To ogra:  "Congratulations Martin Fitzgerald on being elected County Chairman. A good choice in my opinion, and good luck to him.

Mick Hagan back as vice chairman is a retrograde step though. Why have the same face(s) re-cycled around ? Will he again be putting himself forward for Chairman in 3 years time ?

No significant change afoot from the motions that were passed/not passed as far as I can see. Éire Óg's motion not to have 2 Championship games within 48 hours for the same club was passed unanimously - not surprising but too late for that club themselves."
Agree that Martin Fitzgerald was a good choice for chairman, however Mick Hagan was the only option for vice as the others pulled out, it's the same old faces all the time because nobody else will stand.

WW9 (Wicklow) - 12/12/2017 17:59:34    2065011

Link

Replying To WW9:  "Agree that Martin Fitzgerald was a good choice for chairman, however Mick Hagan was the only option for vice as the others pulled out, it's the same old faces all the time because nobody else will stand."
I was chatting with a guy today who said that he was involved in a minor capacity with the County Board nearly 40 yrs ago. He said that several figures around the top table were there at that time. Would those guys not consider that seeing as we are at the bottom of the pile and have been for the duration of their lifetimes, that their efforts have been fruitless, see the folly of their ways and ride off into the sunset and enjoy whatever is left of their retirement.
Has it never occurred to them that they could be the reason that younger blood isn't attracted to running the county. In short, whatever we have been doing for over a hundred years is wrong.
Long past time for a new broom. If they all stood aside, Croke Park would no doubt oversee a transitional period. Give them all a gold watch or whatever and say bye bye.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - 12/12/2017 22:34:04    2065042

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "I was chatting with a guy today who said that he was involved in a minor capacity with the County Board nearly 40 yrs ago. He said that several figures around the top table were there at that time. Would those guys not consider that seeing as we are at the bottom of the pile and have been for the duration of their lifetimes, that their efforts have been fruitless, see the folly of their ways and ride off into the sunset and enjoy whatever is left of their retirement.
Has it never occurred to them that they could be the reason that younger blood isn't attracted to running the county. In short, whatever we have been doing for over a hundred years is wrong.
Long past time for a new broom. If they all stood aside, Croke Park would no doubt oversee a transitional period. Give them all a gold watch or whatever and say bye bye."
I do agree that it does need change and fresh blood and that's why Fitzgerald is a good choice for chairman considering Dignam was chairman back in the 80s, there was no treasurer decided on so there is a position open to new blood, it'll be interesting to see who will put their name forward.

WW9 (Wicklow) - 12/12/2017 23:58:25    2065050

Link

Replying To WW9:  "I do agree that it does need change and fresh blood and that's why Fitzgerald is a good choice for chairman considering Dignam was chairman back in the 80s, there was no treasurer decided on so there is a position open to new blood, it'll be interesting to see who will put their name forward."
I note that M Breheny has us 31 out of 32. I'm not too sure if that does justice to London. God bless John Evans. Here's hoping that Mr Fitzgerald can do something spectacular in his first year, Then again, he needs to be careful whose toes he might step on. From my recollection he wouldn't be the first chairman to be the subject of a coup. Organised by faceless men by way of a whispering campaign among club delegates. More important to maintain the status quo in Wicklow than try to improve anything. Having said that, I am still an optimist at heart. I have long since abandoned any hope of seeing us winning a Leinster Senior final in my lifetime but might we even get to a final?? Would that be asking too much ??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - 16/12/2017 16:45:00    2065354

Link