National Forum

The Super 8

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Yawn. Another thread which has descended into a Dublin resources/advantages whinge-fest.
Look, teams will dominate every sport in cycles. Taking soccer as an example - given Liverpool's size and heritage it is unbelievable that they haven't won the premier competition in the UK for so long. When Utd were winning all round them under Alex Ferguson it seemed unlikely that any team would ever challenge their dominance. But things change, players come and go, new systems emerge etc to challenge and tip the status quo.

It's up to others to work harder, think better and, referring to Mr Ferguson again, "knock Dublin off their ****ing perch!"
Crying about it won't solve anything. Nothing in sport s preordained thank God. Otherwise why would we bother with it?"
Look Lockjaw, it obvious that plenty of people understand that as a proven fact but it's far easier to play the victim for these lads.
Anyone who wants to could see that this group are special and it won't last forever.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 1479 - 17/04/2018 16:38:45    2093621

Link

I wonder will the super 8s breath new life into the provincals, certainly winning it comes with advantage of seeding in the group, while prep time etc for the run of games favourate the provincal winners.

To be fair Connacht and Ulster are making a fist of it these days, fair play.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 1276 - 17/04/2018 19:32:36    2093651

Link

Personally I not enamored about it at all. I think its elitist, money driven and destroys the concept of a championship. It takes GAA another step away from the pillars that build it (Clubs). I wonder what the players from the other 24 counties will think sitting at home while this fanfare goes on.

This to me is like a mini world cup which is not what our championship is based upon. These system are usually designed to ensure that the best teams cant fail, the teams with the most resources and squads get to the finals. The art of surprise where every game could be your last is gone and i'm sure we will also have some dead rubbers in there too. With these systems too you usually have the whipping boys who inadvertently determine who finishes top by how much they can be bet by.

Some fore thought. If it stays in place you could probably see seeding coming into play and i wonder if there super 8's will be the first teams\players that get paid in the GAA.

ponger (Cavan) - Posts: 373 - 17/04/2018 21:27:07    2093669

Link

Replying To ponger:  "Personally I not enamored about it at all. I think its elitist, money driven and destroys the concept of a championship. It takes GAA another step away from the pillars that build it (Clubs). I wonder what the players from the other 24 counties will think sitting at home while this fanfare goes on.

This to me is like a mini world cup which is not what our championship is based upon. These system are usually designed to ensure that the best teams cant fail, the teams with the most resources and squads get to the finals. The art of surprise where every game could be your last is gone and i'm sure we will also have some dead rubbers in there too. With these systems too you usually have the whipping boys who inadvertently determine who finishes top by how much they can be bet by.

Some fore thought. If it stays in place you could probably see seeding coming into play and i wonder if there super 8's will be the first teams\players that get paid in the GAA."
I think you've hit the nail on the head with what you've written , unfortunately there's going to be dead rubber games in both the new hurling and football formats but sure we can try it out for the 3 years and see how it goes, it's a pity they didn't address the issue of the provincial championships.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 6840 - 18/04/2018 11:03:39    2093744

Link

Whoever wins the football / hurling will love it !

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 17950 - 18/04/2018 11:29:45    2093754

Link

In all honesty lads this Dublin advantage craic has gone to the dogs.

They are at an advantage with population no doubt but Dublin has always had the population.
ITs time counties stopped whinging about it and put together a system to Beat them.

Any County in the country can get the Media/sponsorship they get by doing ONE thing.
BEAT THEM

I feel there is going to be a lot of lads with egg on their faces in the next couple of years when this Dublin dominance cycle comes to an end.
A credit to their County and clubs and that's all there is to it.
they are working the hardest/smartest and everyone else needs to catch up.

With regard the super 8s I for one am excited/sceptical.
I hope it works out as I feel a change in system is needed. Every inter county footballer wants to play the best teams in the best arenas on the best days.
Make no mistake about that. Now lets sit backi and see if any county has made the climb up to dublins level and knock them off their perch.

TribalThing (Galway) - Posts: 18 - 18/04/2018 11:46:57    2093762

Link