Kerry Forum

Where to next?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Lads I'm trying to pick 6 backs and I'm struggling - I'd imagine Murphy in goals Jack Barry and Brendan Sullivan in the middle - guessing Jack Savage on the 40 flanked by Micheal Burns and Seanie Se inside guessing James, Paul Geaney and Killian Spillane. back wise struggling here a bit - Enright, Foley next maybe Shanahan again with looking a injuries absence should look again at Gavin Crowley who impressed me last year other wing Paul Murphy could even see Jacks younger brother Andrew at 6 was very impressed by him at U21 level and with St Brendan's - I have the feeling we won't see Clifford at the first home game it'll be away with less eyes I know a few clubs had tried Clifford for medal presentations etc and Fitz has put a cap on it till the break in the league with all fuctions having to be ok'd by Fitz first - agree he need to have the feet let on the ground - wha5 would ye throw out there I suppose Rob Wrorthan I suppose if Moy win tmw id say or should i say will see Begley in defence and maybe even rob Se on the bench....."
Do you think they'll be tempted to stick Paul Murphy in the half forwards Horse, to protect the midfield and inexperienced half back lines we will probably have?

TheHermit (Kerry) - 20/01/2018 21:21:34    2069527

Link

Ya the backs will be interesting horse and your right Wharton and Gavin Crowley could be options also ronan Shanahan Tom O'sullivan and Matthew flaherty also maybe daniel o'brien , are we forgetting Stephen O'Brien up front?

Ya horse Andrew Barry would definitely have to get a look he's an excellent reader of the game, also cormac Coffey could get a run , he's wicked fast and hits hard but fair.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - 20/01/2018 21:41:42    2069531

Link

No I think we'll see Murphy in defense out of necessity but that is his best position and should be left there regardless looking at the volume of injuries and unavailabilities the majority are backs so it is here we may struggle. the Gaeltacht result will dictate the availability of one or two more - like I said before maybe it's no harm the hand is forced and get away from the tried trusted but failed brigade. You mentioned Daniel O'Brien from Glenflesk picked him out at U16 level years ago fine fine player and you know he actually stepped it up last year with the junior team. Players that got the chance last year should be again given the chance to step up or step off, the Killian and Adrain Spillanes the Gavin Crowley's the Ronan Shanahans Barry Sullivan's etc.

What would ye throw out there do you think Clifford will start I don't think he will appear till Mayo or Monaghan away I can't see it being a hope tie.......

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - 20/01/2018 22:02:50    2069535

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "No I think we'll see Murphy in defense out of necessity but that is his best position and should be left there regardless looking at the volume of injuries and unavailabilities the majority are backs so it is here we may struggle. the Gaeltacht result will dictate the availability of one or two more - like I said before maybe it's no harm the hand is forced and get away from the tried trusted but failed brigade. You mentioned Daniel O'Brien from Glenflesk picked him out at U16 level years ago fine fine player and you know he actually stepped it up last year with the junior team. Players that got the chance last year should be again given the chance to step up or step off, the Killian and Adrain Spillanes the Gavin Crowley's the Ronan Shanahans Barry Sullivan's etc.

What would ye throw out there do you think Clifford will start I don't think he will appear till Mayo or Monaghan away I can't see it being a hope tie......."
I can't see why they'd hold Clifford back horse, Armagh and Donegal played teenagers tonight in the makenna cup and you know they don't hold back up there.

Daniel o'brien is class and again reads the game so well, you know horse that reading the game is so vital especially in the backs.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - 20/01/2018 22:21:38    2069543

Link

Donegal are shooting the lights out up north were we foolish not to enter the McGrath Cup we could be caught cold next Sunday.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - 21/01/2018 21:24:54    2069742

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Donegal are shooting the lights out up north were we foolish not to enter the McGrath Cup we could be caught cold next Sunday."
As far as I know horse we've been playing challenges against other teams but a game with a cup is probably better, less than a week now .

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - 21/01/2018 22:11:20    2069751

Link

Greetings lads!

What is Kerry's starting 15 likely to be on the weekend? I would say both sides will be experimental enough? Our full back line will be weak enough. I can imagine Leo McLoone or Mark McHugh being stationed in front of whatever 3 we start with.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - 22/01/2018 09:32:42    2069777

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Greetings lads!

What is Kerry's starting 15 likely to be on the weekend? I would say both sides will be experimental enough? Our full back line will be weak enough. I can imagine Leo McLoone or Mark McHugh being stationed in front of whatever 3 we start with."
We are all guessing too regarding the starting 15 I'd say not one of us would agree here on the possibilities of the team - reports are non existent from inside the circle although reports are thst a good few are carrying knocks - I'd say you'll see a very inexperienced side intercounty senior level but very experienced at Minor junior and U21 level

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - 22/01/2018 11:13:13    2069805

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "We are all guessing too regarding the starting 15 I'd say not one of us would agree here on the possibilities of the team - reports are non existent from inside the circle although reports are thst a good few are carrying knocks - I'd say you'll see a very inexperienced side intercounty senior level but very experienced at Minor junior and U21 level"
Yeah, we won't really have a clue until the team is named on Friday night. Most of us don't even have a proper idea who is in training at this stage such is the level of secrecy enveloping all things to do with the Kerry camp these days. It makes the days before a game no fun at all :(

TheHermit (Kerry) - 22/01/2018 12:10:41    2069826

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Yeah, we won't really have a clue until the team is named on Friday night. Most of us don't even have a proper idea who is in training at this stage such is the level of secrecy enveloping all things to do with the Kerry camp these days. It makes the days before a game no fun at all :("
Fitz will surely have a press conference on Wednesday where he'll surely pass on some details of the team or a squad the hermit other that we' In the dark as usual.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - 22/01/2018 18:09:11    2069934

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Fitz will surely have a press conference on Wednesday where he'll surely pass on some details of the team or a squad the hermit other that we' In the dark as usual."
It's never been as bad as it has gotten in the past year or two, Jesus you always had a fair enough idea who was training away and (God forbid) come the summer you could stroll down to Fitzgerald to have a look yourself.
Is there any groundswell around at all to get them to open up the odd session for the public come the summer. What harm would one night every month do? I suppose the only way the Co. Board would listen is if you got the clubs to voice it, but they probably have enough be to worrying about beside that.

TheHermit (Kerry) - 22/01/2018 20:19:22    2069968

Link

Look ive often said you can make an arguement for both sides - the flip side is if the likes of us who are seasoned Kerry fans and know the lay of the land to a degree from club level up and if the likes of us are still in the dark so too are the likes of Bonner, Jim Galvin, Rocheford and Kevin Walsh - we might be going in slightly cold, but the team that could be picked could be team unused to losing and totally unknown to most outside the county and even some ignorant fans within our own county bounds....... May not be a bad thing lads .....

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - 22/01/2018 21:23:17    2069981

Link

Jays you would have this amount of secrecy surrounding a king of the travelers fight.

I wouldn't mind all the secrecy if there was something brilliant or amazing at the end of it, but the way we were playing at the end of the championship last year was crazy.

It's like fitz over complicates things when sometimes he'd be better off just trusting the boys and letting them off the leash.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line all this over and back sideways stuff gets a bit boring at times sometimes you can't beat going direct.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - 23/01/2018 12:29:36    2070067

Link

Yes I have to agree with Kingdomboy here, for all the secrecy enveloping the Kerry side when is the last time they put out a team or used a tactic that bamboozled the opposition at the business end of the summer? Possibly, Murphy playing in the half forward, that's as close as I can remember. And is something like that justification for not even having one open night all summer?

There is a growing disconnect between the supporters and the team, we all sense it. Of course this is partly due to the fact we have come up short these last 3 years. For all the potential one step forwards (League Final 2017/Munster Final 2017) we have had massive steps back, see last year's Q and Semi-finals!
In fact if you step back from Sheehy's comments last week I think they signify an attempt by the management to get more support going to big games, although you can't think of a worst possible way to make that argument than how Sheehy put it!

But supporters need to have a bond with the players for that to happen and success on the pitch is only part of that.

If the team want more support, more noise and colour, then they really need to start doing something on the pitch to make the masses fall in love again so to speak. The management have to start going back to our traditional game and play the style we know and love. That doesn't mean demanding instant success either, it means showing the average lad standing up on the terrace in the rain next Sunday that the team is going in the right direction and is developing to be a contender for All-Irelands.

It's 5 days out from the start of the 2018 season and I really don't know where Kerry are at. You can look at last year's replay as just a one off and say on our day we have enough to beat Mayo, Mayo are pretty close to Dublin and Dublin haven't managed to beat us in over 18 months.
But then again you can easily say we are way off those two.

I believe, as I always do, that Kerry have enough to win the All-Ireland this year if they get the rub of green along the way. However, like most supporters, I think I'd also realise this could be a year for rebuilding and that's fine as long as we are developing a new team and going in the right direction.

But if we get to a stage next summer when we are relying on the same old faces to band aid the same old deficiencies, I won't be complaining that there are only a handful of thousands of Kerry fans at a game.

TheHermit (Kerry) - 23/01/2018 13:21:31    2070083

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Yes I have to agree with Kingdomboy here, for all the secrecy enveloping the Kerry side when is the last time they put out a team or used a tactic that bamboozled the opposition at the business end of the summer? Possibly, Murphy playing in the half forward, that's as close as I can remember. And is something like that justification for not even having one open night all summer?

There is a growing disconnect between the supporters and the team, we all sense it. Of course this is partly due to the fact we have come up short these last 3 years. For all the potential one step forwards (League Final 2017/Munster Final 2017) we have had massive steps back, see last year's Q and Semi-finals!
In fact if you step back from Sheehy's comments last week I think they signify an attempt by the management to get more support going to big games, although you can't think of a worst possible way to make that argument than how Sheehy put it!

But supporters need to have a bond with the players for that to happen and success on the pitch is only part of that.

If the team want more support, more noise and colour, then they really need to start doing something on the pitch to make the masses fall in love again so to speak. The management have to start going back to our traditional game and play the style we know and love. That doesn't mean demanding instant success either, it means showing the average lad standing up on the terrace in the rain next Sunday that the team is going in the right direction and is developing to be a contender for All-Irelands.

It's 5 days out from the start of the 2018 season and I really don't know where Kerry are at. You can look at last year's replay as just a one off and say on our day we have enough to beat Mayo, Mayo are pretty close to Dublin and Dublin haven't managed to beat us in over 18 months.
But then again you can easily say we are way off those two.

I believe, as I always do, that Kerry have enough to win the All-Ireland this year if they get the rub of green along the way. However, like most supporters, I think I'd also realise this could be a year for rebuilding and that's fine as long as we are developing a new team and going in the right direction.

But if we get to a stage next summer when we are relying on the same old faces to band aid the same old deficiencies, I won't be complaining that there are only a handful of thousands of Kerry fans at a game."
Exactly the hermit and well said, and I have a funny feeling it's gonna be pretty much the same old faces come the summer the Donaghys and donnachas and darrans and Maher's and Barry johns, great servants to the cause but need to be moved on so the young can flourish, Time is a harsh master and it waits for no man unfortunately.

I believe if you can match Dublins athleticism and physicality we have the football to beat them, I know that sounds simplistic but it's what I believe.

I half agree with Mikey that we have a lot of hurlers on the ditch and I know quite a few of them my self but like you said last week not everyone has the flexibility to make it to a Saturday 3 o'clock game due to work and other things and does a fan have to go to a certain quota of games before he or she is intitled to give an opinion on a Kerry game?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - 23/01/2018 14:17:57    2070102

Link

Yes plenty of hurlers on the ditch, I know one lad in particular that wouldn't open his window if Kerry were playing an All-Ireland final on his lawn but he would be on the end of the bar in the pub telling you this, that and the other about what's wrong with the team and would admonish you for wasting money traveling to support them. Them sort of lads are all over Kerry and in every other county too!

And you don't have to go to every match to be able to read a game or who are team are going and give an honest opinion, plenty of the best GAA people in Kerry are manning under-age sidelines or putting out cones for club games the weekend of Kerry senior games.

Kerry is a pressure cooker for senior inter-county players, there is huge expectations on them to win and when they don't they get it in the neck. Those outside the county may look in and think that is a terrible way to do things, but I think it is a huge reason for our success.
You don't allow ego's in that environment, you don't get situations (as you do in other counties) where some fella thinks he is God on earth because he has a few minor or U-21 medals in his arse pocket.
No matter what you do at senior, no matter how good your Kerry team is, someone else has done it before, and probably better, so all you can do is put the head down and hope to be mentioned in and around the same page as those players and teams when the time comes to hang up the brogues.

Build it an they will come, as the Kevin Costner film had it - start playing the Kerry way, start giving the youth its chance and start making real progress and you will see the Kerry supporters getting on the bandwagon again.
Our appetite is a ferocious as ever, if the Kerry supporters didn't care then we wouldn't be so riled up by Mickey's comments last week, we wouldn't have spent all winter grumbling over the Mayo defeat, we wouldn't all be so curious of who is in training and what lads will be given their go.

Start as we mean to go on, from next Sunday on. Use the League to integrate the youth, as the ground gets firmer show us the attacking style we want to see from our Kerry sides, do enough to at least survive and if ye can give us a good victory against the likes of Dublin or Mayo, and most importantly come out the other side of spring with the semblance of a Championship team that can do damage into August. That's what I'm looking for in the three months ahead.

TheHermit (Kerry) - 23/01/2018 14:57:13    2070120

Link

Just read in the indo online that UCD won well today with Jack Barry playing a staring roll at midfield even scoring a vital goal, what was even more encouraging was he and his partner controlled midfield for the whole game and the partner was Dingles Barry O'Sullivan - no harm to have these two getting used to each other.

Might not be a bad combination for Sunday

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - 23/01/2018 21:02:36    2070220

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Just read in the indo online that UCD won well today with Jack Barry playing a staring roll at midfield even scoring a vital goal, what was even more encouraging was he and his partner controlled midfield for the whole game and the partner was Dingles Barry O'Sullivan - no harm to have these two getting used to each other.

Might not be a bad combination for Sunday"
Yeah heard that, hopefully that bodes well for the League!

TheHermit (Kerry) - 23/01/2018 22:28:07    2070237

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Just read in the indo online that UCD won well today with Jack Barry playing a staring roll at midfield even scoring a vital goal, what was even more encouraging was he and his partner controlled midfield for the whole game and the partner was Dingles Barry O'Sullivan - no harm to have these two getting used to each other.

Might not be a bad combination for Sunday"
Ya horse read that as well, let's hope they'll get a run on Sunday. I see Brian o'seanachain was a sub and was brought on at half time, I'm very surprised that he wasn't starting as he is excellent and he must be carrying a knock or something not to be a starter on that team.

Has any of ye heard anything about UCC this year?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - 23/01/2018 23:46:33    2070248

Link

I heard they played us in a challenge game a couple of weeks ago, I assume they'll be a good few Kerry prospects linning out for them as usual, when are they due out in the Seigerson?

TheHermit (Kerry) - 24/01/2018 09:13:19    2070265

Link