Galway Forum

Galway minor hurlers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Fantastic result for our minors yesterday! 3 in a row hasn't been done since Cork in '69, '70 and '71 and to win 4 in 5 years can't be forgotten either. It's fantastic for all involved over the last 5 years and they deserve all the good will that'll come their way over the next few weeks and months. To win so many titles despite the change up in age groups and management over those 5 years proves we must have a fantastic structures at club, school and county level and long may that continue. The parents, coaches and teachers deserve great credit also and must all be delighted with the success.

Not to get too ahead of ourselves but does anyone know who off of the panel are under age again next year? Would be fantastic to keep this level of success ongoing, can only be a positive for our senior panels in the years to come.

webbsborough (Galway) - Posts: 44 - 19/08/2019 12:06:14    2227432

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Certainly sad to think of all the 'seanmcdonaghleveltalents' that were left on the scrap heap wandering the streets of Ballygar & Mountbellew by successive underage regimes in Galway hurling. I wonder how they spotted Sean!!"
I know Ballygar have been doing well in recent underage club games as my son played against them a few years ago at U14 level and they were at the top of the group at that time. I didn't think Mountbellew were making such progress but Sean McDonagh deserves to be highlighted as a cracking young hurler who has scored more on his own than all of Wexford and KK in the last 2 games.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2259 - 19/08/2019 13:23:02    2227480

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Congrats to the Galway minor 3 in a row team. Like the senior game, we really streaked away in the second half and should have won by at least 17 or 18 points but the 16 wides didn't help in that regard. Some excellent hurlers who will hopefully make successful seniors in the coming years. I was also impressed with the management team who seemed to work very well together and were confident in the players that they picked to get the job done. Not many thought the football heartlands of Mountbellew-Moylough, Moycullen, Annaghdown and Ballygar would provide key players to this team but the Galway selectors thought otherwise and were proven to be correct - well done to all concerned."
Funny to think Ballygar would be considered a football area. When I was in secondary in the '80s in St. Enda's, Ballygar was up there with Athenry in our estimation. We had two lads in the year from Ballygar who were savage hurlers, and thanks to them we won just about every game we played in first and second year against the other city teams.

If those clubs have since been overlooked, I'm delighted to hear they're being looked at again.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2736 - 19/08/2019 15:44:21    2227553

Link

Replying To webbsborough:  "Fantastic result for our minors yesterday! 3 in a row hasn't been done since Cork in '69, '70 and '71 and to win 4 in 5 years can't be forgotten either. It's fantastic for all involved over the last 5 years and they deserve all the good will that'll come their way over the next few weeks and months. To win so many titles despite the change up in age groups and management over those 5 years proves we must have a fantastic structures at club, school and county level and long may that continue. The parents, coaches and teachers deserve great credit also and must all be delighted with the success.

Not to get too ahead of ourselves but does anyone know who off of the panel are under age again next year? Would be fantastic to keep this level of success ongoing, can only be a positive for our senior panels in the years to come."
Think 10 of the panel are underage again next year, 6 of whom saw game time yesterday.
Davitt who got 1-2 yesterday is u-15 so will be around for next couple of years.

mark992 (Galway) - Posts: 4 - 19/08/2019 17:12:39    2227595

Link

Replying To webbsborough:  "Fantastic result for our minors yesterday! 3 in a row hasn't been done since Cork in '69, '70 and '71 and to win 4 in 5 years can't be forgotten either. It's fantastic for all involved over the last 5 years and they deserve all the good will that'll come their way over the next few weeks and months. To win so many titles despite the change up in age groups and management over those 5 years proves we must have a fantastic structures at club, school and county level and long may that continue. The parents, coaches and teachers deserve great credit also and must all be delighted with the success.

Not to get too ahead of ourselves but does anyone know who off of the panel are under age again next year? Would be fantastic to keep this level of success ongoing, can only be a positive for our senior panels in the years to come."
Greg Thomas, Liam Leen, Ruben Davitt, Adam Nolan, Gavin Lee, Sean O'Hanlon and Tiernan Killeen were all on the U15 team last year so they'll all be available next year anyway.

galway19 (Galway) - Posts: 53 - 19/08/2019 17:33:17    2227617

Link