Donegal Forum

National League 2020

(Oldest Posts First)

I see the fixtures are out. Good enough fixtures I think with 4 at home and the tough games against Dublin and Kerry away, which are possibly write offs anyway.

What will the panel be like for the early games? Possibly missing the Glenties lads. I see Jason McGee will be out. Anyone else out of action for the league with injuries or recovering from operations... Eoghan Ban?

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 226 - 27/11/2019 12:03:16    2251766

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "I see the fixtures are out. Good enough fixtures I think with 4 at home and the tough games against Dublin and Kerry away, which are possibly write offs anyway.

What will the panel be like for the early games? Possibly missing the Glenties lads. I see Jason McGee will be out. Anyone else out of action for the league with injuries or recovering from operations... Eoghan Ban?"
From reports Jason Mc gee having surgery will miss some of league. Eoin ban and paddy Mc grath will miss most of league. Paddy Mc brearty on vacation could miss start of league. All depends then how n conall do. Bonner has rested Murphy in the early games since he has taken over. So we could be starting with a lot of new lads in the early games but we have to get a winning start against mayo which is going to be difficult. But hopefully it'll open the door for a few players to come in and stake a place players like Michael Carroll. Cian mulligan etc.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 742 - 27/11/2019 13:01:20    2251779

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "From reports Jason Mc gee having surgery will miss some of league. Eoin ban and paddy Mc grath will miss most of league. Paddy Mc brearty on vacation could miss start of league. All depends then how n conall do. Bonner has rested Murphy in the early games since he has taken over. So we could be starting with a lot of new lads in the early games but we have to get a winning start against mayo which is going to be difficult. But hopefully it'll open the door for a few players to come in and stake a place players like Michael Carroll. Cian mulligan etc."
Plenty room for midfielders with C. Thompson and McLoone possibly busy, McGee out, and MacNiallais on the fence. Murphy and McFadden don't need playing 70 mins week in week out in the league.

Carroll will get minutes at number 8. Are there many other midfielders in the club scene with their hands up?

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 97 - 27/11/2019 16:19:08    2251820

Link

Mayo a big game for this team, if they get another mauling from Mayo in their own ground like last Summer , doubts will come into many of these players and will effect them later in Summer in tight Championship games.

culmore (None) - Posts: 1392 - 27/11/2019 19:20:28    2251857

Link

Replying To culmore:  "Mayo a big game for this team, if they get another mauling from Mayo in their own ground like last Summer , doubts will come into many of these players and will effect them later in Summer in tight Championship games."
Odhran seems to be opting for a winter of soccer.

neutral (None) - Posts: 282 - 28/11/2019 09:31:36    2251906

Link

I know its a players own choice what sport he wants to play but no player should be begged to play for his County . Its also wrong that a Club in the County can tell underage players that they cannot play Gaelic for their home Club if they are on their books.

culmore (None) - Posts: 1392 - 28/11/2019 10:29:03    2251918

Link

It is very disappointing that Jason McGee is out for the league and as a result probably the championship as well.This potentially would have been a great learning curve for him in Div 1 but he is young and it is only right that he should have his problem attended to but nevertheless it is a year lost on top of Eoghan Ban losing out last year.Sometime these long term injuries can have a long time effect on a young players development.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 615 - 28/11/2019 14:23:46    2251957

Link

Replying To gunman:  "It is very disappointing that Jason McGee is out for the league and as a result probably the championship as well.This potentially would have been a great learning curve for him in Div 1 but he is young and it is only right that he should have his problem attended to but nevertheless it is a year lost on top of Eoghan Ban losing out last year.Sometime these long term injuries can have a long time effect on a young players development."
This is a very pessimistic view on young McGee. He's struggled with a few hip injuries over the last few years so hopefully this surgery will rectify this. It's not supposed to be a huge procedure and if all goes well he could make it back for the last couple of league games. The important thing is to get him back for championship and as long as he gets a block of training done before then I'm sure he will be a player very much part of Bonner's plans in 2020. It's November 2019 now so it's a long time until July 2020 so I think it's a bit premature to write off the season for him.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 28/11/2019 15:58:07    2251976

Link

Replying To gunman:  "It is very disappointing that Jason McGee is out for the league and as a result probably the championship as well.This potentially would have been a great learning curve for him in Div 1 but he is young and it is only right that he should have his problem attended to but nevertheless it is a year lost on top of Eoghan Ban losing out last year.Sometime these long term injuries can have a long time effect on a young players development."
I would have to disagree. Despite his young age, Jason is an established first-choice footballer in my eyes.

If the surgery needs done it needs done. It would take a string of mammoth displays from whomever fills his boots in the spring to keep him out of the 15 to face Tyrone in May.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 97 - 28/11/2019 16:16:24    2251983

Link

Yea Mc gee is a huge player going forward for us. He's been troubled with injury this last few year. Get the op done now and hopefully we'll see him towards the end of the league. This lad has everything you want from a midfielder potentially if he avoids injury he could dare I say it be as good as Anthony molloy and Neil Gallagher.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 742 - 28/11/2019 17:25:31    2251998

Link

Good to see Cian Mulligan, Michael Carroll, Conor O Donnell senior, Enda Mc Cormack, Andrew Mc Clean join/rejoin the panel. Must meen Odhran won't be playing.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 429 - 28/11/2019 19:58:24    2252020

Link

I wouldn't disagree about McGee's ability or potential but the point I was making was a general one and may have been misunderstood.Very often a big break during a players developmental stage can have a negative effect on their career which I hope is not the case with Jason who has not had a clear run so far.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 615 - 28/11/2019 20:11:24    2252022

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Good to see Cian Mulligan, Michael Carroll, Conor O Donnell senior, Enda Mc Cormack, Andrew Mc Clean join/rejoin the panel. Must meen Odhran won't be playing."
Great to see the above named. But how does that mean odhran won't be playing. Bonner has stated that he was taking in 8 to 10 players. You could probably add Ethan o donnell on to the newcomers list.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 742 - 28/11/2019 20:47:20    2252028

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Great to see the above named. But how does that mean odhran won't be playing. Bonner has stated that he was taking in 8 to 10 players. You could probably add Ethan o donnell on to the newcomers list."
I meant if Odhran is not back at this stage, he won't be back at all.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 429 - 28/11/2019 22:00:55    2252035

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "I meant if Odhran is not back at this stage, he won't be back at all."
I would be extremely surprised if Odhran comes back. Playing ball with Gweedore Celtic and after a year off why would he need another 10 days to make up his mind. I would say management doing all they can to convince but the 10 days merely putting off the inevitable.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2260 - 29/11/2019 00:22:22    2252047

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Great to see the above named. But how does that mean odhran won't be playing. Bonner has stated that he was taking in 8 to 10 players. You could probably add Ethan o donnell on to the newcomers list."
Yeah, I'd be shocked if Ethan and Jeaic McKelvey aren't also added at a later stage. In relation to Odhran, I think it would have been confirmed by now if he was returning. Bonner said we would know in the next 10 days about Odhran one way or another at the jersey launch and we have now passed that time frame so it doesn't look positive.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 29/11/2019 09:27:59    2252053

Link