Donegal Forum

U16 & U17 And All Development Squads

(Oldest Posts First)

The Development squads are in a bad place, if we look around what other counties are doing our squads are going backwards. The U16 made the Buncrana Cup final but were a non event and the U17 yet again a huge disappointment in the championship so much so we are now seen as a soft touch in Ulster. Can anyone advise when these jobs are up for expressions of interest and should the county seek out manager rather than allowing people apply. The Development squads need to be looked at and now that the Senior team has completed its run is it time for the GDM to step up to the plate and concentrate on development. I don't think the GDM should be involved with the senior team and far to much time spend on that and not enough on the underage.. We also need the regional boards to start showing an interest in coaching also at the moment all we have are fixture going head to head with development squads

dllover (Donegal) - Posts: 263 - 19/08/2019 09:49:09    2227373

Link

Replying To dllover:  "The Development squads are in a bad place, if we look around what other counties are doing our squads are going backwards. The U16 made the Buncrana Cup final but were a non event and the U17 yet again a huge disappointment in the championship so much so we are now seen as a soft touch in Ulster. Can anyone advise when these jobs are up for expressions of interest and should the county seek out manager rather than allowing people apply. The Development squads need to be looked at and now that the Senior team has completed its run is it time for the GDM to step up to the plate and concentrate on development. I don't think the GDM should be involved with the senior team and far to much time spend on that and not enough on the underage.. We also need the regional boards to start showing an interest in coaching also at the moment all we have are fixture going head to head with development squads"
Canvas your club committee.

Samsforthehills (Donegal) - Posts: 1009 - 19/08/2019 18:20:39    2227639

Link

We do seem to be going backwards at underage level. I won't pretend to know what is going on but it is certainly worrying. What has gone wrong in the last few years? We were doing really well at underage level up until a few years ago.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1556 - 20/08/2019 10:03:38    2227790

Link

County board has to headhunt the right people. Forget this applying for jobs. A lot of people don't like this interviewing crack we all saw what happened Jim mc Guinness the first two times he went for the senior job.. pinpoint people like Rory kav, Damien diver. Tony Boyle good gaa men who will get the right people on board with them and who like Declan Bonner are proud donegal people who want donegal doing well.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 672 - 20/08/2019 13:58:22    2227891

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "County board has to headhunt the right people. Forget this applying for jobs. A lot of people don't like this interviewing crack we all saw what happened Jim mc Guinness the first two times he went for the senior job.. pinpoint people like Rory kav, Damien diver. Tony Boyle good gaa men who will get the right people on board with them and who like Declan Bonner are proud donegal people who want donegal doing well."
Not all good county players are good coaches / managers. You mentioned Rory Kavanagh and yes, he did a great job last year with the U16 team but couldn't commit this year.
The application process is still the best option as it's open then to anyone interested in the job from within the county or external. If you don't have that process then it deemed a closed book and jobs for the boys etc.
There is ofcourse nothing stopping the county board approaching someone they think could do a good job and encouraging them to apply for the positions and this is something that could improve the calibre of coaches / managers. There has been a number of managers in recent times that have no proven track record of successfully managing underage teams and the results at county level reflected that.
I would like to see the county board look at the success that managers and coaches are having within the county at all grades of underage in both A and B levels and ask the better candidates would they be interested and could they apply. This would be a good starting point and I believe that some successful underage club managers would apply if approached.
The time commitment and pressure's of underage county management is big and only a small group of people within our county would be in a position to apply.
Apart from the management issue, every county does go through a spell where we don't have the high standard of players coming through so I wouldn't put it all down to management and coaching. I have no doubt we'll come strong again in future years.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1549 - 20/08/2019 19:56:33    2228011

Link

I see where your coming from with the application process but in my mind this process leaves it open for people who are not suitable candidates to get the job. What happens if there's only applicant does that mean he gets the job even though maybe he has little or no experience. Jim mc Guinness the perfect example being overlooked for the job twice because certain people on the selection committee had other favorites.. Martin mc Hugh being another example.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 672 - 21/08/2019 11:07:29    2228127

Link

Replying To dllover:  "The Development squads are in a bad place, if we look around what other counties are doing our squads are going backwards. The U16 made the Buncrana Cup final but were a non event and the U17 yet again a huge disappointment in the championship so much so we are now seen as a soft touch in Ulster. Can anyone advise when these jobs are up for expressions of interest and should the county seek out manager rather than allowing people apply. The Development squads need to be looked at and now that the Senior team has completed its run is it time for the GDM to step up to the plate and concentrate on development. I don't think the GDM should be involved with the senior team and far to much time spend on that and not enough on the underage.. We also need the regional boards to start showing an interest in coaching also at the moment all we have are fixture going head to head with development squads"
Have to agree ..the GDM shouldn't be involved with the Seniors as it takes up too much time.. The County Board are breaking GAA guidelines by allowing him to be involved

correct (None) - Posts: 79 - 21/08/2019 14:21:36    2228232

Link

Barring the current minor set up, which has been an absolute disaster, is it really as bad as posters are making out?

We won the buncrana cup last year and finished runner up this year and should have a decent buncrana cup team next year.

The 20s team did poorly at minor level and not much was expected from them. A lot of people firing out opinions on coaches and managers with very little insight. Throwing names like Tony Boyle about simply because he was a good player. Coaching is very different to playing and a lot of good coaches were not good players.

Some very good players coming through and a lot of good work being done. Teams winning everything in front of them don't always produce the best players. Underage success no guarantee of producing players for senior team. Developing skills and attitude are as important at 15 and 16s as winning buncrana cups.

ballboy101 (Donegal) - Posts: 123 - 23/08/2019 13:13:57    2228759

Link

We need good people involved with our under-age teams. Over the last few years we have had to many egos involved who have no idea how to develop players, they only want to develop their own profile. Some of the stuff being said to our underage players by management teams over the last couple of years is shocking. These people should not be involved with players from u14 to u17 in any circumstances. I bet you the players and parents could tell some stories.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 440 - 23/08/2019 15:14:40    2228795

Link

That's quite a broad statement and the way you've left it, you're labelling all our underage managers as unfit to coach teams, which is simply not true. There are issues with some set ups but to tarnish all coaches, who have given their time voluntarily to Donegal gaa is extremely harsh.

We do need good people but we also need to make sure our coaches are getting all the help they need in terms of coaching them to be better coaches. Writing them off based on negative reports, which are often personal prejudices will put many good people off taking jobs. Why would somebody put themselves forward when they are being subjected to this type of 'analysis' on forums like this one.

ballboy101 (Donegal) - Posts: 123 - 23/08/2019 15:40:11    2228803

Link

Ballboy you are correct in what you say. However we have had some people looking after our teams who should not have been. It's the players that lose out at the end of the day. It's not about winning or losing but about developing players. We need the right type of people involved. Our county executive have to take the ultimate responsibility here instead of promising people u16/minor jobs before an interview. We have to get our house in order from u14 to u17 level.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 440 - 23/08/2019 17:27:28    2228827

Link

Replying To ryan:  "Ballboy you are correct in what you say. However we have had some people looking after our teams who should not have been. It's the players that lose out at the end of the day. It's not about winning or losing but about developing players. We need the right type of people involved. Our county executive have to take the ultimate responsibility here instead of promising people u16/minor jobs before an interview. We have to get our house in order from u14 to u17 level."
Probably being too harsh but frustrating when we not organised from minor level down. It's probably the county board who need to up their game big time re underage football and coaching rather than blaming managers.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 440 - 23/08/2019 21:06:43    2228883

Link

Replying To ryan:  "Probably being too harsh but frustrating when we not organised from minor level down. It's probably the county board who need to up their game big time re underage football and coaching rather than blaming managers."
But are you saying that with an insight into all the teams from minor down? Because I would know I few lads on the younger panels and they had nothing but good things to say about the coaching.

I find that people are quick to repeat negative comments about coaches with no first hand experience or concrete evidence and much of the criticism is of a personal nature.

Everyone knows that the minor set up was poor but I would not be happy at criticising every age group based on this.

ballboy101 (Donegal) - Posts: 123 - 25/08/2019 15:20:09    2229178

Link

I think everyone knows by now this is a bone of contention for me. From the outside it looks like to me that there is not a proper review process. I mean how else would you explain last year's minor set up getting in again to basically replicate what happened the season before with another talented bunch of players. Most of the relative success of recent years has been built on decent underage teams which shows its value. There is no doubt in my mind that Donegal have taken their eye off the ball in this regard. It needs to be addressed with as a priority. In relation to this year's under twenties I have no issues with the management. However when 3 of their best players are not committing that is an issue and again needs to be addressed. Hopefully Declan Bonner can get involved in the process of getting the right people in. He done great work in recent years and surely sees how valuable it is to have successful underage set ups.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2122 - 25/08/2019 16:58:02    2229191

Link

Replying To ballboy101:  "But are you saying that with an insight into all the teams from minor down? Because I would know I few lads on the younger panels and they had nothing but good things to say about the coaching.

I find that people are quick to repeat negative comments about coaches with no first hand experience or concrete evidence and much of the criticism is of a personal nature.

Everyone knows that the minor set up was poor but I would not be happy at criticising every age group based on this."
Blue flu could be to blame.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 410 - 25/08/2019 20:03:38    2229227

Link

Gary McDaid has stepped down from the under twenties apparently unhappy he had to do an interview to stay on. I would have been happy to see him stay on however with a few of the best players available non committal there were questions to be asked. The worry now is who goes in? It is vital that with the seniors playing a more expansive game that the underage set ups follow suit. We have become far too predictable and over reliant on the hand pass at underage. I would have serious reservations about the county board getting it right given the recent history. There is a really talented squad there for the next couple of years but they need good coaching and leadership. Plus someone the players warm to that gets everyone on board. While I like McDaid he had a supremely talented squad last year that should have been serious All Ireland contenders yet did not even make an Ulster final. While maybe this years squad not as talented some of the best players would not commit. It will be an interesting few weeks with the minors in a similar predicament.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2122 - 29/09/2019 13:46:56    2240023

Link

I feel the GAA made a awful hash of creating the new u20 competition instead of the old fashioned u21 competition. You could say the same thing about moving the minor championship to u17. Not allowing lads on the senior team to play for the u20 team is ridiculous. There seems little interest in both competitions now. I used to love going to the u21 championship games and watching the minors play before the seniors. Does anyone else feel this way?

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1556 - 08/10/2019 17:57:05    2242122

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "I feel the GAA made a awful hash of creating the new u20 competition instead of the old fashioned u21 competition. You could say the same thing about moving the minor championship to u17. Not allowing lads on the senior team to play for the u20 team is ridiculous. There seems little interest in both competitions now. I used to love going to the u21 championship games and watching the minors play before the seniors. Does anyone else feel this way?"
Absolutely it was a truly bizarre decision that should never have gotten through. Did not happen with hurling either immediately so make of that what u will.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2122 - 08/10/2019 21:22:42    2242184

Link