Donegal Forum

NFL Division 2 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Commodore:  "I agree with you on Brendan McCole, I think Meath's tactics through us into panic mode, and he shouldn't take it personally, he will have a bright future with Donegal, as he is an incredible defender.

I also agree regarding Eoin McHugh, I think he can play a key role in Championship, not sure about Caolan Ward. I think Caolan hasn't found his ideal position just yet."
This won't be the first time this year McCole will come back after having a set back in his progress. He had a tough final 10 mins in Tipp but did not let that experience set him back. I am sure he will still play a part come the championship. As for Ward I think wing back is his best position but competition there is huge. I was impressed again with O'Baoil at the weekend who is a real threat going forward but still needs to improve his decision making like most young players do when starting out. Teams will be picked as per the opposition. I imagine if we played a team like Kerry we would look to run at them like how Mayo exposed them. But then if playing Mayo we would have to pick a team set up to counteract their power.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2116 - 01/04/2019 22:34:40    2177140

Link

In relation to mccole he seemed down on himself at the end as well but he'll be ok. Neil mcgee summed the whole situation very well in his interviews and no doubt the likes of mcgee and mcgrath will help with perspective.
And fair play to mcgee for breaking colm mcfaddens apearance record. He's a great enthusiasm for playing for donegal and was mad keen to get back at it. He mentioned he was really enjoying the training which is great to hear. He looked pretty sharp which is very good because he seemed to have some injury challenges last year.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 217 - 01/04/2019 23:32:10    2177152

Link

As Jim mcGuiness said his philosophy was 'hire character not talent'

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 437 - 02/04/2019 00:48:15    2177161

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Excellent post as per Manus. Completely agree with what ur saying. I too would have serious worries about us defensively esp when faced with the more relentless top tier teams with power runners. I do think defensively we will be a much better outfit come championship time but it will be a big step up when facing the Tyrone's of this world. As for Fermanagh I think mentally we will be tuned in given the league game. We started that game really well but lost impetus going down a man. You can be sure Fermanagh will use any means to bring things more in their favour. But the quality we have in attack including kicking from distance I don't see us losing."
I suppose to put it bluntly, Fermanagh beat a Donegal reserve team in O'Donnell Park, disappointing as it was at the time.

In a Championship atmosphere infront of a big crowd i just dont see how a team that have to fight tooth and nail for scores- could contain the 5 or 6 different players that we have- all of whom on their day are capable of shooting 4 or 5 pts each. Last year in Ulster, with quite some ease we showed ourselves to be a team who can hit the 20 point mark. I just dont see how Fermanagh could bring us down nearer 10 pts, and get themselves up above 10 in order to turn us over? but as ever- in sport rule nothing out however unlikely.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 205 - 02/04/2019 10:39:43    2177199

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "I suppose to put it bluntly, Fermanagh beat a Donegal reserve team in O'Donnell Park, disappointing as it was at the time.

In a Championship atmosphere infront of a big crowd i just dont see how a team that have to fight tooth and nail for scores- could contain the 5 or 6 different players that we have- all of whom on their day are capable of shooting 4 or 5 pts each. Last year in Ulster, with quite some ease we showed ourselves to be a team who can hit the 20 point mark. I just dont see how Fermanagh could bring us down nearer 10 pts, and get themselves up above 10 in order to turn us over? but as ever- in sport rule nothing out however unlikely."
I don't see it myself we have too much scoring power. However if we went a man down that might open the door. But to counteract that our team will be much stronger than O'Donnell park.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2116 - 02/04/2019 11:24:46    2177216

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "Too many posters on here with excuses for Bonner and the team.Look at Kerry's progression with their "young" team and as someone said they are also missing players but still getting it done in div 1.Donegal now stuck in bottom half of div 2 and they can't score a pt from play in that 2nd half of almost 40 minutes! It's just outrageous! Murphy is still a difference maker ,don't know if McNiallais is coming back,rest of Gweedore young guns unproven at county level.McGrath,McGlynn and McGee have a lot of mileage,what do they have left?The signs are there that something is radically wrong. No heart, no physicality, completely devoid of ideas.Where is the county board on all this mess? Is it the usual backslapping,everyone happy with the status quo. Time for change."
One of your last posts lowball the day Fermanagh beat us in league. Did Bonner drop u off panel or something more personal.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 671 - 05/08/2019 16:37:34    2221210

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "One of your last posts lowball the day Fermanagh beat us in league. Did Bonner drop u off panel or something more personal."
Interesting to see them talk about the "rest of Gweedore young guns unproven at county level" in this post whereas he's calling for Mulligan and Carroll in their latest post.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 942 - 05/08/2019 18:28:38    2221250

Link