Donegal Forum

MacNiallis and Molloy

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To EDH:  "Where is Ryan Bradley, a massive loss from the 2012 team. He was never replaced."
He is abroad in Dubai I think. He had to emigrate as he had no job. Always thought Ryan was a great player and really underrated. Had a great Ulster campaign in 2012.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1605 - 01/08/2017 19:47:34    2027584

Link

He is abroad in Dubai I think. He had to emigrate as he had no job. Always thought Ryan was a great player and really underrated. Had a great Ulster campaign in 2012.
Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts:806 - 01/08/2017 19:47:34

Ryan was arguably our strongest player in terms of sheer physical strength, who was right at home in those big battles of the Ulster Championship.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 504 - 02/08/2017 22:27:09    2028149

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "
Replying To Commodore:  "What about Papa Durcan? would be great to have the big man back again.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts:106 - 01/08/2017 13:47:22

I think he is still in Dubai, where himself and his wife both got work. He was such a massive presence in goal, losing him was a massive blow to Donegal. His kick-out ability rivalled Stephen Cluxton, and I think that is the one area his replacements have struggled to match him in."
Agreed but McGinley has done well and had a good championship unlike most. His kickouts need work but there seemed to be alot of confusion around the strategy this year. If McNialis and Leo come back to the fold expect a big improvement around the kickouts. McNiallis is great in the air and oen of Leo's best assets is picking up any loose ball something Donegal have struggled with in the championship this year."
mcginley and i have said it before is fine keeper and a good shot stopper, but his kick outs are poor in my opinion. Mickey Harte had studied us very closely and targeted them as a weakness and Tyrone pushed up accordingly, not only that but this served as a template for all the other teams who played us after, target the donegal kick out and they are in trouble. the modern game is all about the accuracy of the kick out, and of the 3 probable keepers we have, peter boyle has the best kick out but wasn't rated by RG and paid a high price for playing a soccer match last season and got dropped. a pity the same level of discipline was not applied to higher profile players who broke drinking bans.............

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 486 - 03/08/2017 08:47:13    2028245

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "Agreed but McGinley has done well and had a good championship unlike most. His kickouts need work but there seemed to be alot of confusion around the strategy this year. If McNialis and Leo come back to the fold expect a big improvement around the kickouts. McNiallis is great in the air and oen of Leo's best assets is picking up any loose ball something Donegal have struggled with in the championship this year."
mcginley and i have said it before is fine keeper and a good shot stopper, but his kick outs are poor in my opinion. Mickey Harte had studied us very closely and targeted them as a weakness and Tyrone pushed up accordingly, not only that but this served as a template for all the other teams who played us after, target the donegal kick out and they are in trouble. the modern game is all about the accuracy of the kick out, and of the 3 probable keepers we have, peter boyle has the best kick out but wasn't rated by RG and paid a high price for playing a soccer match last season and got dropped. a pity the same level of discipline was not applied to higher profile players who broke drinking bans............."]I actually think Michael Boyle is the best of the 3 keepers we have. Mark Anthony has done well and wouldn't entirely blame him for the failure of out kickouts as he hadn't much to aim at.

Going forward I would think Danny Rodgers will be the man as his kickouts are very good.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1605 - 03/08/2017 16:26:00    2028489

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "mcginley and i have said it before is fine keeper and a good shot stopper, but his kick outs are poor in my opinion. Mickey Harte had studied us very closely and targeted them as a weakness and Tyrone pushed up accordingly, not only that but this served as a template for all the other teams who played us after, target the donegal kick out and they are in trouble. the modern game is all about the accuracy of the kick out, and of the 3 probable keepers we have, peter boyle has the best kick out but wasn't rated by RG and paid a high price for playing a soccer match last season and got dropped. a pity the same level of discipline was not applied to higher profile players who broke drinking bans............."
I actually think Michael Boyle is the best of the 3 keepers we have. Mark Anthony has done well and wouldn't entirely blame him for the failure of out kickouts as he hadn't much to aim at.

Going forward I would think Danny Rodgers will be the man as his kickouts are very good."]I agree McGinely had nothing to aim at so of course other teams would push up. In saying that I would imagine Durkin would have enforced a proper kickout strategy.
U21s actually did ok with kick outs this year. Pat shovlin was involved and he really knows his stuff. Rodgers is definately one for the future. He is a big man (Bigger than the 3 existing). I would probably bring him in but McGinley would be my starting keeper if he can get to grips with a proper Kickout strategy with Half forward and half backs moving.

dstuction (Donegal) - Posts: 1208 - 03/08/2017 18:34:18    2028559

Link

So it looks like it's been confirmed that Odhrán will not be returning this year either. Sad news, but at least we can draw a line under it.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 128 - 30/12/2019 19:42:24    2256563

Link

Replying To SouthOfTheGap:  "So it looks like it's been confirmed that Odhrán will not be returning this year either. Sad news, but at least we can draw a line under it."
Difficult to see him playing for Donegal again which is a huge disappointment. But we have to move on now and forget about him. Its better to get behind the lads who want to play. What a shame as Odhran is such a talent.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1605 - 30/12/2019 21:09:53    2256572

Link

Replying To SouthOfTheGap:  "So it looks like it's been confirmed that Odhrán will not be returning this year either. Sad news, but at least we can draw a line under it."
Fully expected and as you say move on plenty of talent available anyways. Maybe he fancies giving the underdogs a bash this year having played against them last year rather than in a packed Croke Park.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2260 - 30/12/2019 22:37:10    2256586

Link