Derry Forum

Derry-The big questions

(Oldest Posts First)

Im usually the eternal optimist when it comes to Derry but after 2014 i have become very disillusioned with what happened this year.The big questions regarding Tactics/cant beat the blanket defence/injuries why are county players playing so many league games prior to championship fixture,other counties Armagh,donegal,dublin,cork,even longford dont play for their club 14 days or more b4 game.Who is running the show?P tally OR mc ivor.5 year plan what is it all about?we should be making a decent effort to win ulster after 2/3 years.Youth will only get you so far need experience also/.During the league use your panel wisely,we played nearly same team every game in the league,the older guys should should be used sparingly and kept fresh for june/july the doc played only 15 mins of championship football,Mc guckian Oboyle never scored a point in the championship yet scored for fun in the league.Skinner problem should have been dealt with better we could have used him as a sub during longford game especially with all the injuries we had.Looking him to commit until 2015 i know a few players who cant commit next year but played this year it does not make sense.We progressed 2 steps forward under mc ivor but ultimately 5 steps backwards.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 30/06/2014 20:27:43    1611824

Link

I've finally been able to take my head out of the sand this week after some serious thinking of just what is fundamentally wrong with Senior Football in our county? This runs deeper than Longford. We have done nothing at minor level in years, priority to be fixed. Lets be honest we see Saint Pats doing well, we see Glen doing well and we think it should filter through. It hasnt, or at least not to the county team. Under 21's are a non runner, we seem to field a team but thats it. Look i know there are people out there who know a lot more about County Set ups than me, i dont deny that i just dont see where we are going. The last 2 years we've had favourable draws, last season we had a run to the last 8 on paper that we are unlikely to get again. This season we put it up to Donegal in parts but ultimately fell short. There was talk that being on our side of the draw in the back door could be favourable, again on paper it looked decent. We would now be playing Tipp and being honest we'd fancy that. Again we sh** the nest. We are pumping all this money into owenbeg which is fabulous but what has it produced? I've been to most Derry games over the past 22 years or so and struggle to remember a champioship game after Dublin 93 that we have won as underdogs, maybe Armagh in the qualifiers in 2007. What i am saying is there needs to be some sort of Sport Physcologist hired to get into our players heads. Why are we not beating teams we clearly have better personnel than. Its the same old story. We are not a bad team. All this talk of 5 year plans is great going by league results, thats progres but Championship we have gone backwards. There doesnt seem to be the interest in club players to play county football why? Playing for your county should be the pinicle for any player. Rant nearly over, felt we should have handled the Skinner problem better, the fella couldnt commit 100% during the league, he isnt the first county player to do this. He would have made a difference no doubt about that against Donegal and certainly Longford. Especially when fellas who displayed commitment during the league were sitting on a plane to America.

This_Year (Derry) - Posts: 105 - 03/07/2014 15:36:33    1613229

Link

I have waited to gather my thoughts before replying to this thread.

Tipperary's result against Longford has just poured more salt into the wounds of Derry supporters. They held Longford to 0-06 a team which scored at will against us. Now based on yesterday's result how do we benchmark this Derry team?

The answer is.........Tipperary have invested so much into minor and U21 football within the county and they are slowly reaping the rewards of their efforts and yesterday's result proves that. What Tipperary are doing right our own county is overlooking. We have to get success at minor and U21 level, success breeds success . Personally I think it's a failure by the county board, they have failed to make the hard decisions required to help achieve success. Too many people are afraid to standup and make the unpopular decisions, they would rather be seen as the nice guy. Nice guys win nothing. We can talk all we want about 5 year plans, I would be demanding success within 2 years of appointment of any senior, U21 and minor management team. By success I mean an Ulster title. The county board has to ensure the environment is right and the tool are in place to achieve the objective. This will most probably entail making harsh and unpopular decisions but at the end of the day if we get that Ulster title then unpopular decisions are soon forgotten and you become popular again.

I know success at the minor and U21 levels don't always guarantee success at senior level but what it does do is instill a winning mentality and a belief that you are good enough to win trophies at county level. We need to get the psych of players right. Armagh have banned any media correspondence this year and you could see how focused they were last week. I feel this is something we have to introduce in Derry, every year we have countless players spouting in the papers, do your talking on the pitch.

Rant completed.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 06/07/2014 13:53:06    1614494

Link

I think we need to re-think the basic direction, and the way the County teams train and are developed from U10.

Having closely observed Donegal senior panel, and their U21 and Minor sides. I couldn't help but notice how they all play a similar style of football, which no doubt makes the transition upwards that little bit easier.
Likewise when you watch Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and Tyrone, you kinda see the style of the seniors filtering through into the Minor game.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 07/09/2014 21:37:44    1649296

Link

I think Derry need to re-think the basic direction of Intercounty football, and the way the County teams train and are developed from U10 upwards.

Having closely observed Donegal senior panel, and their U21 and Minor sides. I couldn't help but notice how they all play a similar style of football, which no doubt makes the transition upwards that little bit easier. Likewise when you watch Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and Tyrone, you kinda see the style of the seniors filtering through into the Minor game.

Sports Psychology plays a huge role in modern sides, and can play a huge part in getting a performance from players. The top teams are not only preparing teams physically, but also mentally so that they will be in the right frame on match day.

Sports science is being used at Minor level in a few counties, I spoke with the family of Mayo Minor player recently. Well the lad is in their devlopment squad for the Minors, and some of the stuff I heard was amazing. To scan muscles, and put young players on specific development S&C programmes to address an underdeveloped leg muscle, as it may slow him down in future. We aren't talking senior or U21 players here, but Minors or potential minors.

MATCH PHASES: Some teams have moved on to the point, where the whole game is broken down into various phases. Donegal in particular are a prime example of this, where they attack for 5-15 minutes before Immediately entering a defensive lockdown for 10 minutes.
They open a good lead, then defend like mad and mentally shatter the opposition by frustrating them.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 07/09/2014 21:51:26    1649309

Link

I think Derry need to re-think the basic direction of Intercounty football, and the way the County teams train and are developed from U10 upwards.

Having closely observed Donegal senior panel, and their U21 and Minor sides. I couldn't help but notice how they all play a similar style of football, which no doubt makes the transition upwards that little bit easier. Likewise when you watch Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and Tyrone, you kinda see the style of the seniors filtering through into the Minor game.

Sports Psychology plays a huge role in modern sides, and can play a huge part in getting a performance from players. The top teams are not only preparing teams physically, but also mentally so that they will be in the right frame on match day.

Sports science is being used at Minor level in a few counties, I spoke with the family of Mayo Minor player recently. Well the lad is in their devlopment squad for the Minors, and some of the stuff I heard was amazing. To scan muscles, and put young players on specific development S&C programmes to address an underdeveloped leg muscle, as it may slow him down in future. We aren't talking senior or U21 players here, but Minors or potential minors.

MATCH PHASES: Some teams have moved on to the point, where the whole game is broken down into various phases. Donegal in particular are a prime example of this, where they attack for 5-15 minutes before Immediately entering a defensive lockdown for 10 minutes. They open a good lead, then defend like mad and mentally shatter the opposition by frustrating them.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 07/09/2014 21:56:15    1649314

Link

Are you involved in coaching yourself Gary?

One of Derry's main probalems is getting competitive U21 and Minor teams in the past couple of years, not down to lack of quality players but maybe not enough focus and discipline. St Pats Maghera have had some excllent Minor teams in the past 2 years but its affecting your Minor team I think, as they aren't training enough collectively with Derry Minors from what I heard.

Also Derry U21s maybe don't put in the same type of focus as Cavan. Cavan let the U21 players concentre on that age group during the U21 championship while in Derry 5 or 6 are on the Senior panel.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 1823 - 24/09/2014 13:37:40    1656537

Link

FoolsGold
County: Cavan

Are you involved in coaching yourself Gary?

One of Derry's main probalems is getting competitive U21 and Minor teams in the past couple of years, not down to lack of quality players but maybe not enough focus and discipline. St Pats Maghera have had some excllent Minor teams in the past 2 years but its affecting your Minor team I think, as they aren't training enough collectively with Derry Minors from what I heard.

Also Derry U21s maybe don't put in the same type of focus as Cavan. Cavan let the U21 players concentre on that age group during the U21 championship while in Derry 5 or 6 are on the Senior panel.

No I don't coach any teams myself, I drifted away from Club football a good few years back due to frustration at how dogmatic the overall setup was across the board.

I believed then, I still believe now that County success filters down to Club level. A strong and successful County team draws the attention of the GAA novice, the average Joe with no Club Involvement and most Importantly bigger National sponsers.
People who would never and will never get involved with Clubs, will go and see their County in an All Ireland Final or Semi Final. And this is vital, as it builds a sense of belonging and a sense of County in people.

Telling yourselves in Cavan about Ulster underage success, would be like telling God about the bible. But there are changes needed to underage in the County, and I reckon starting at U15 level is probably best.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 24/09/2014 17:19:37    1656635

Link