Derry Forum

Longford in Q1

(Oldest Posts First)

We are red hot favourites for this one. Sure to be a fairly tight game then?

hermann (Derry) - Posts: 170 - 09/06/2014 20:37:40    1601083

Link

They have put us out of the championship b4 twice ended Brennan and crozier managerial tenures,so we owe them one big time.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 10/06/2014 16:25:17    1601611

Link

you'll get your wish vintageyear. this wont be a contest unfortunately. very few will even travel. the whole championship structure is wrong. its a meaningless game, as most are until quarter final time. until then, yawn yawn yawn. when will gaa ever wake up and do what hurling did. Junior, intermediate and senior championship. Backdoor just prolongs the agony for 90% of the teams, and gives the bigger teams a second chance. crazy. if you are from a weaker county - why would you encourage your kids to take it up? Longford won Leinster last in 1968. It wont happen again. Depressing.

Good luck to Derry though. Like to see you do well

arjuna (Longford) - Posts: 88 - 10/06/2014 16:55:15    1601632

Link

small correction 93 vintage- They did finish Brennans Doire managerial career but not Crozier`s - the 1st time we played them when he was in charge of us was 2006 the following year 2007 Crozier took us to a quarter final of the AI where we met Dublin in croke pk - the following year 2008 he was in charge of us when we won the NFL beating Kerry in the final - this turned out to be his last year in charge of us but you are right when you say they have definitely been a bogey team for Derry in the qualifiers in recent times

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 11/06/2014 12:21:04    1602054

Link

Aye, Crozier's team in 2008 got beat by Fermanagh in the Ulster semi-final and then Monaghan in the Qualifiers, which led to his departure. Longford did finish Brennan's reign, alright, in 2012, and beat Derry in 2006 as well but they seem to have gone back a bit since - they were very poor last year in Celtic Park where they seemed to set up extremely defensively with no ambition beyond avoiding a hammering. All the same, Paul Barden, Kavanagh, Quinn and McCormack are still good footballers - we can't afford to be too complacent with men like that in the opposition team.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 11/06/2014 21:56:12    1602479

Link

Watched Longford against Wexford, and in fairness I felt it was a game they could have easily won.

Wexford are no pushover, and there was very little between the two. I would expect Derry to come through this game easily enough, but could be danger of complacency entering this tie.

Derry to win, between 9-14 points.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 12/06/2014 21:54:48    1602904

Link

Wish Derry all the best against Longford. Just wondering does anyone know where Barry McGoldrick is these day? Great player, n captain when I was living in Port, n know he got injured badly two years back, but heard nothing since. Go n-éirí an tÁdh libh!

captaincavan (Cavan) - Posts: 16 - 20/06/2014 10:45:33    1606347

Link

Capt Cavan - I was talking to Barry at Eoghain Rua on mon night past he was putting in some training of his own and is on the way back he did his cruciate last sept in a club championship game but reckons he will be back playing in about 6 weeks time - good player and a sound big man - very inexperienced team we are fielding against Lonford due to an injury crisis - hopefully we will win - good luck in the qualifiers aside from the Armagh hiccup yous are making great headway down in the breffni - Slán agus ádh Mór ort

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 20/06/2014 14:40:45    1606475

Link

This game isnt a cert with so many changes hope we can squeeze through but were gambling with alot of positions,dont understand midfield selection but we have to trust the management get it correct although it poses alot of questions and we will get the answers on sat evening.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 20/06/2014 20:51:46    1606657

Link

Very disappointing for Derry!
After a fantastic league, what went wrong today? Any reports lads?

Regards,

Snufalufagus....Laochra Gael

Snufalufagus (Dublin) - Posts: 8100 - 21/06/2014 19:45:03    1606882

Link

No energy, no drive, no wit from Derry in an all-round stinker of a performance. They were only kept in it by two goals against the run of play in the second half. Longford worked hard as a team and their forwards were much more direct and efficient than Derry's - Barden and Kavanagh were excellent throughout and Quinn was very good in the second half. It was hardly any secret that those boys were Longford's main threat but Derry's defending was only shocking. It would be unfair to single out individuals for blame as there was a general lack of intensity and physicality from Derry. After such a promising league campaign, the wheels have fallen off big time; Derry did have a lot of injuries before today's game but it still doesn't explain how bad they were. Searching for some sort of explanation, it might be that the hiding Dublin gave them took the heart out of them; they have been nowhere near the team that played with such spirit and energy in the league since then.
Anyway, congratulations to Longford on a deserved win and good luck for the rest of the year.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 21/06/2014 21:37:51    1606954

Link

I realise Derry fielded a much weakened team because of injuries but the lads that came in there are simply not good enough and our more experienced players aside from Lynch showed no leadership whatsoever - very disappointing after a season that potentially promised so much -

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 22/06/2014 12:06:45    1607042

Link

I have let the dust settle before I decided to write this post.

Absolutely gutted how a season that promised so much has turned sour. What has gone so wrong in the last 8 weeks? I realised we had injuries coming into this game but does that not present opportunities for players looking to stake a claim for a future starting place. To answer my own question, obviously not. We cannot and shouldn't be conceding 2-16 against a third division side at home.

The only senior player who had any conviction was Mark Lynch, others failed to show up. Gerard O'Kane cost us against Donegal and he had another poor performance yesterday. SL McGoldrick's form has suffered big time, don't know if this is down to tactics, Enda Lynn is totally off the boil. To me it seems we have players who don't want to roll up their sleeves when the going gets tough, no pride in the jersey.

Longford showed that with pride, energy, teamwork and hunger you can beat any team, wish our boys had the same attitude, but having watched Derry this year and previous years their never seems to be a desire to take that step required. We have serious attitude issues to address from within the county, Our best players don't want to play, others walking off the panel etc. I feel playing for our county is a past-time for some players rather than a previlege.

I don't want to see Brian McIver resign, he has made great steps with Derry, it's the players that have to standup now and show the desire to play and be successful with Derry.

Gutted but I will be back next year.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 22/06/2014 14:34:28    1607115

Link

i think since the donegal defeat attitudes of some players changed and hadnt the heart to go through the qualifiers,im not sure Mc ivor can go another year he wont be able to fix whats wrong after 2 years at the helm,some bad defeats at home cavan,down,donegal,longford,we had a good league but that is night and day compared to championship,i dont know what we should do next but its crucial for derry football we get it right.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 22/06/2014 19:20:55    1607291

Link

Im not exaggerating to say Derry football is at a crossroads - some serious root and branch analysis required as we are in meltdown -FACT

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 23/06/2014 12:36:16    1607596

Link

Another unwelcome stat,we didnt win a championship match at senior,minor,under 21 level,2014 season 2 forget.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 23/06/2014 18:09:59    1607918

Link

Keep the faith. Mayo had a very similar season in 2010. Having topped the league table we went into the league final against Cork who we had beaten rather easily. Unfortunately the tables were turned in the fianl when we were totally outclassed in the second half. With confidence low we were out of the championship after a qualifier defeat to Longford.

In hindsight maybe Derry would have been better off having lost the semi to Mayo after a gallant display with 14 men. Maybe the Mayo lads were thinking in the vein themselves as they showed no fight what so ever in the final quarter of that game.

Obviously bar landing the ultimate prize, Mayo's fortunes have been much more positive subsequent to 2010 in the Championship. Maybe in 3 years time 2014 could be viewed as a watershed for Derry.

ExiledinDublin (Mayo) - Posts: 131 - 24/06/2014 12:51:17    1608232

Link

93vintageyear - that stat you produced says it all.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 24/06/2014 14:05:21    1608278

Link

sad to see us go out so early in championship on sat,even though we had a few players missing i still felt we would have enough to beat longford.It was'nt the best game to watch as a derry fan the amount of times we were getting turned over or giving the ball away and we persist on hand passing the ball short instead of mixing it with long kicking.The only player stood out for us was M Lynch.Good luck to longford they played well and deserved the win.

gazboy (Derry) - Posts: 9 - 25/06/2014 08:49:08    1608646

Link

Some good points there exiledindublin - hope you are right - good luck to Mayo -

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 25/06/2014 14:35:38    1608911

Link