Derry Forum

Derry v Donegal

(Oldest Posts First)

All smoke and mirrors to this point. Now the season begins in earnest.

Reported turmoil in the Donegal camp. We'll probably sustain an injury or two before the big day. So much up in the air in the lead-up to this one. Home has been a happy hunting ground for year for Derry, so maybe that'll give us the slight advantage we need.

Looking forward to it!

hermann (Derry) - Posts: 170 - 01/05/2014 17:24:26    1583096

Link

I don't honestly know what to think at this stage.

I watched Donegal against Monaghan, and I felt Donegal did not play to their potential in that game. Report after report in various tabloids suggested Monaghan repeated their 2013 Ulster final display, however I didn't see that at all.
Donegal's only real let down was linking midfield to their full forward line, which had they been capable of achieving, would no doubt have led to a comprehensive victory.

Will the loss of Mark McHugh halt their progress? It probably would had he been playing well, however lately he hasn't been playing well in County colours.

Luke Keaney started the National League final for Donegal, and played most of the game. Who is Luke Keaney?? Will he even make the bench for the Derry game? I know he is a Donegal U21, but I doubt he will even make a sub appearence for Donegal against Derry on May 25th.

Derry need to be wary entering this game. Home advantage, good league form in Division 1 and brimming confidence is a good thing, however Donegal have been a little too low key.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 07/05/2014 13:48:02    1584999

Link

Yeah this is a game I have the strangest feelings about in the last 3 years, the one thing you could always say about JMG team is that they always and nearly did out in a good performance, some days it was enough and others it wasn't...... Things are low key in the county as nobody really knows what's going to happen this year, is it because things are not going well or is it because that's the way the team want it, two things is either going to happen here, Derry will win and donegal under JMG are done and dusted OR donegal put in a big performance and get out of Celtic park with and a win and off we go hopefully towards another Ulster Championship.......... And god knows where after that with that renewed confidence and hunger..... So in a nutshell I think we might win by 2 points as I believe Derry don't have the where to all and enough streetwise credentials to beat a hurting and experienced donegal team, I may be wrong but obviously hope I'm not....

ben1977 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 09/05/2014 14:19:19    1585826

Link

I think it will be an Interesting tactical battle, as Derry are a very different side now compared to 2011 and 2012.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 10/05/2014 14:11:26    1586087

Link

GaryMc82
County: Derry

I think it will be an Interesting tactical battle, as Derry are a very different side now compared to 2011 and 2012.

I'm not sure about that. Up to the league final I would have agreed with you 100% but that performance against Dublin was abject & a real setback. Confidence is a fragile thing & a drubbing like that can undo months of good performances.
In that respect Donegal are in the same boat. Two years ago I thought they were unbeatable & now I wonder where the next win is coming from.
The manager who does his job best will come out on top I think.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4929 - 10/05/2014 19:11:26    1586186

Link

Should be a savage game, surely rte are covering it?

Caseys89 (Limerick) - Posts: 80 - 11/05/2014 16:33:35    1586331

Link

you will probably have to pay Rupert Murdoch to get watching this

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 12/05/2014 11:59:27    1586552

Link

I'm always weary of Derry has favourites. Not only are you favourites for this game, but also favourites to win Ulster. Derry teams have never felt comfortable with the favourites tag throughout the years. Your definitely a team that is more than capable of winning Ulster this year, but I have feeling Donegal will spoil the party and come away with an impressive win, as Derry seem to struggle against blanket defenses. Donegal are shrewdly organised, and I think the recent drop outs from the squad will galvanize them. However, I wouldn't rule out a draw. Looking forward to it. All the best.

MourneArmy (Down) - Posts: 1787 - 12/05/2014 13:26:06    1586595

Link

i wouldnt agree that were favs for this one maybe slight with home advantage,donegal went to breffni twice won easily so i dont think it will affect them,mc guinness will have them prepared for this gamebut we will see if theyre back to 2012 form when they gave us a lesson in ballybofey b4 they went on to win sam maguire.We struggle against the blanket defences but the black card could figure in this match which could sway the result.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 13/05/2014 21:15:50    1587294

Link

10/05/2014 19:11:26
MuckrossHead
County: Donegal

GaryMc82

I'm not sure about that. Up to the league final I would have agreed with you 100% but that performance against Dublin was abject & a real setback. Confidence is a fragile thing & a drubbing like that can undo months of good performances.
In that respect Donegal are in the same boat. Two years ago I thought they were unbeatable & now I wonder where the next win is coming from.
The manager who does his job best will come out on top I think.

I won't be fooled into thinking Donegal are badly weakened and hurt at the minute. When Donegal are hungry and focused, they are exceptional opponents as they showed against Tyrone last season. Donegal entered that game with Karl Lacey on the bench, and I seem to remember Mark McHugh not playing a full game either.

To win this game, Derry will really need to win everything in midfield and then use that ball efficiently up front.
Following what Monaghan did, Derry will likely look to cut supply of quality ball into Donegal's full forward line. As Donegal generally only have 2 half forwards who often drop deep, this task should be easier.

A major problem for Derry is Donegal's ability to defend well, and force turnover's. They are tight unit and well drilled, and if they get ball into their full forwards, they can and will do maor damage.

I don't think the thumping by Dublin will do any overall damage to the Derry players mindsets, and I still think Derry should be clear favourites to beat Donegal in Celtic Park.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 13/05/2014 21:34:13    1587311

Link

93vintageyear

i wouldnt agree that were favs for this one maybe slight with home advantage,donegal went to breffni twice won easily so i dont think it will affect them,mc guinness will have them prepared for this gamebut we will see if theyre back to 2012 form when they gave us a lesson in ballybofey b4 they went on to win sam maguire.We struggle against the blanket defences but the black card could figure in this match which could sway the result.

I said after that 2012 game in Ballybofey that Derry's biggest problem that day was their overreliance on Paddy Bradley.

Derry moved the ball over and back across the field until Bradley got in position to shoot. And he was the one player Donegal had singled out for special marker attention. It was too easy for Donegal that day, and in truth the score flattered Derry in the end, as Donegal should have had an additional 2 goal's and a few more points too.

This is a very different Derry team that Donegal are facing, one that have men scoring from all over the pitch. Donegal are known to struggle when teams run at the directly, something McIver's Derry are very good at.

Home advantage is an added bonus, which is why I do think Derry are clear favourites. However in saying that, it will be a tough battle for 70 mins. Donegal are battle hardened, and they will have Derry studied down to a Tee. Bookings and black cards could well play a big part in Influencing how this game turns out, but I hope that isn't the case.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3004 - 14/05/2014 12:28:12    1587484

Link

Big boost to our midfield looking at the headline on the Irish Independent's website:

"We're not a million miles away from Dubs' level, insists Derry's Sean Cavanagh".

hermann (Derry) - Posts: 170 - 15/05/2014 21:16:49    1588331

Link