Derry Forum

Why Derry need James Kielt

(Oldest Posts First)

Off the back of a poor league campaign, talk turns to championship and the starting XV. A clear pattern was formed during the league a slow hand passing game often going backwards rather than forward, with very little quick ball going into the inside forward line. This is caused by the players we have at our disposable, we seem to building a team of strong runners who apart from Gillligan and Barry McGoldrick seem to lack the ability to use the skill of short and long kick passing. Just think back to why Derry were successful last year we played Enda Muldoon as a third midfielder due to his vision and passing ability, Enda rolled back the years and dictated play from this position. This is why James Kielt needs to come in to the team, Kielt is one of most naturally gifted players we have that has the passing range to help our inside forward line - who set up the goals against Armagh in the Ulster semi final Kielt hit inch perfect passes each time. Diver and Friel are both big strong men but in my opinion have there limitations of what to do with the ball after winning it, add James to that midfield diamond and we will have a good mix of style and power. Kielt is also an excellent striker of the dead ball and free taker which all points to why Derry need Kielt in the championship XV.

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 14/04/2012 10:57:02    1151539

Link

I entirely agree with what Brolly4pres has to say about the necessity of having James Kielt on Derry's Ulster champioship team in June. With his quick thinking and incisive long foot passing skills, his presence would definitely maximise the scoring threat of the Bradley brothers,Conleith Gilligan and Mark Lynch. I also believe that, despite his undoubted versatility, Gerard O'Kane should play in the half back line, thus releasing, hopefully, a more disciplined but nevertheless very competent Dermot M'Bride to considerably strengthen our full back line. If Michael Bateson, Michael Friel, John McCamley and Mark Craig were all fully recovered along with Gerard O'Kane for the Ulster championship the management team could develop a more coherent defensive team strategy, simply because they would have better quality players to implement it. Does anyone know how our almost forgotten trio of Niall Holly, Declan Mullan and Martin Donaghy are progressing? If fit they would all be an added bonus to our squad ( if not the actual team) for the championship.If all of the above were injury free John Brennan would have a very difficult though (most unusually for him) welcome task of actually selecting his best side. Hopefully that dream becomes a reality!

DerryOptimist (Derry) - Posts: 2 - 14/04/2012 18:19:57    1151818

Link

I completly agree with brolly on this point. Derry need to speed up our attacks and the best way to do this is by kicking the ball, however we shouldn't rely soley on james kielt or coleith gilligan in essence we need a couple our half backs to be able to kick 30 yard accurate passes to relieve the pressure on the defence and also create space in we would then be able to attack into. It as commented on would be a change in tactics and mindset on what we have been producing to date in the league. Our major worry is our defence therefore we need to make plans to get our best markers (need improvement in our tackling) on the pitch and in the correct positions. We have an abbundance of forward players, so as derryoptimist (great first post) said with g o'kane, d mcbride, m bateson, m craig all on the pitch with support coming from the midfield and a much improved workrate from our forwards we can at least compete come june time. Also please any one in the know are niall holly, Lee Moore and declan mullan injure free and able to train? I know these guys have been injured and played no football for derry this year, and in the case of deccy mullan is injury prone and cannot seem to get going. Derry would be far better off if players of this caliber were flying and pushing for places.

south_derry (Derry) - Posts: 47 - 14/04/2012 19:41:17    1151895

Link

Holly had an operation on his ankle at the start of February which is an 8 week layoff he should be fighting fit come championship, it has been rumoured Brennan was willing to try Niall out at full back but due to this knock was unable to try him there during the league. Declan Mullan is a serious talent he has the total package to make it at the top level out of nowhere he started in Croker last summer against Kildare and ran them ragged for 20mins in the 2010 Derry club final he had Ballinderry in shock, the thing is the man is just injury prone and at the age of 22 serious questions need to be asked about how to look after and develop Declan, as due to our lack of talent resources in the county we can not let Mullan slip through the net. Lee Moore is another great player that simply doesn't get a chance i think Paddy Bradley even said that the Craigbane man is Derry's next great marksman. I believe JB see's Bateson as his CHB but yet again no one seems to know how badly injured he is after a late challenge by wanna be hard man Dick Clerkin

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 14/04/2012 19:57:33    1151910

Link

100% Brolly, Kielt will be a big addition come championship, was he injured during the league or what's the story? He didnt play any part in the league last year either. Many of you's here seem to be talking about Gerard O'Kane in defence but I think his performances this year at wing forward have been very encouraging in the games he has played (we have also seemed to win those games). He can win breaking ball, good at running at defences and comes back to help out the defence as well, and importantly he also seems to get a score or two when he plays there. However whether he will be fully fit and reach the from he was at before he got injured remains to be seen.

unclederry (Derry) - Posts: 67 - 14/04/2012 20:54:51    1151968

Link

most teams employ a blanket system in modern times its ok kicking the ball in early when its just man 2 man in defence usually 13men behind the ball its harder to kick proper ball in need ball winners and good target men even james kielt cant unlock blanket defences with his range of passing but getting the ball in quicker will help our forwards.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 15/04/2012 16:54:16    1152392

Link

Derry just don't need James Kielt, we need all the best players in the county on the county panel and playing for the jersey.

Thats all I ask.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 16/04/2012 12:50:47    1153021

Link