Derry Forum

It's Official Derry v Donegal

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

johndoherty25
County: Donegal

974879 OAKGAEL-mc guiness only plays one way,not a hope of him attacking,there is no way derry will break dowm them 12 men on the 45 as they like soloing the ball too much,also derry not very mobile around middle sector

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 04/07/2011 21:31:53    974915

Link

johndoherty25
County: Donegal

974879 OAKGAEL-mc guiness only plays one way,not a hope of him attacking,there is no way derry will break dowm them 12 men on the 45 as they like soloing the ball too much,also derry not very mobile around middle sector

So you havent seen Derry play this year.

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 04/07/2011 21:33:38    974922

Link

Have been at all Derry's games this year and the constant refrain from J.B. (when not berating unfortunate linesmen) has been 'move, Derry, move'. But we do not have the power of 'THE SYSTEM' that Johndoherty25 has such faith in, the system which stations the best full-forward in the country on his own half-way line for long stretches of the game. From a Derry perspective, I have great belief in that tactic - the further Michael Murphy is from the Derry goals, the better for us. I have the feeling McGuinness will come up with a few variations the next day but then again, John Brennan wasn't born yesterday and the Loup team he took to an Uster Final a couple of years ago indicates that he is not unfamiliar with blanket defence, etc.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 04/07/2011 21:59:19    974977

Link

derryman - not taking exception to your comment 'you haven't seen Derry play this year'. To answer your question, I have missed 1 championship match in 18 years that Derry have beeen involved in and that includes qualifier matches. Also you state Derry aren't mobile around the middle, I think prior to the Armagh game you had a point but I thought our midifeld against Armagh was very mobile and with Muldoon playing as a 3rd man in the middle using his creative passing range gave us a building block against Armagh. His quick long passes into Lynch and Bradley was the basis which gave Derry scoring opportunities. Sure Eoin Bradleys goal came from a sublime long pass from James Kielt which would breakdown any defence.

Mark Lynch and Eoin Bradley terrrorised Armagh by running at them so why do you think they are not capable of doing the same against Donegal. Even if they are double marked it will leave opportunities for our other forwards.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 05/07/2011 21:46:15    975913

Link

Very good article here on the two counties shared history!

link

Derry_ledd (Derry) - Posts: 2093 - 07/07/2011 10:57:29    977078

Link

good debate here about the defense/attack tactics. I dont think that anything has really changed since the last derry game. the difference is that the only televised games were antrim, cavan and tyrone which are all defensive teams themselves. The fact that when donega dropped there HF back all three of these left there HB where they were. I feel the way to overcome this is to get your HBs scoring. The Issue with the atacking derry game against a defensive donegal game is that donegals scores came from breaks from defense made easier when the opposition is pushing for their own scores. I think mcguinness will see this and so deploy a full strength full forward line (murphy, mc faddan, mc brearty) and also play hegerty around the middle to suplly good ball to them mc hugh and bradley will play as additional defenders. where the game will be won or lost is in midfield. while i dont agree with saying derrys midifeld are slow they arent as mobile as their donegal counter parts. however there have 2 assets that donegal dont have - height and strength. donegal will go for the short kickouts and so the derry forwards will have to defend from the front. derry will use the long kickouts to their giants and if derry can win majority of their kickouts I feel it could be your day. As another poster wrote its great to see a new name of the anglo celt and lets just hope for a great day and decent game (i know its donegal but lets hope)

dstuction (Donegal) - Posts: 1208 - 09/07/2011 11:11:37    978732

Link

Muldoon, Diver & Friel it seems to be every one is talking about Skinner Lynch and deets but i believe the final will be won or lost depending on the impact these three skyscrapers make around the middle. We have seen from Derry's recent games that Enda has dropped deep to play as a third midfielder each one of the three offers something different- Enda Muldoon is simply a legend the big easy is a fan favorite an old school player that does his talking on the pitch Enda has great hands but the difference Enda makes is his vision and ability to pick long range passes and lets not forget Muldoon can also take a score having played alot of his career at FF. Joe Diver has been on the panel for around 5 years being in the shadows of Fergal and Patsy. Joe is all effort and the talk among supporters is Joe is one of the main talkers now in the dressing room and gets the boys pumped up and loves to wear the oakleaf shirt, Joe is an all round athlete at 6ft 5 the big man can move and has a serious burst of speed which is his biggest asset at running at defenders and being dragged down for frees or offloading the ball to forwards, Joe sometimes was the buck of peoples jokes but has made serious effort to his game over the last few games and i believe is now the heart beat of our team. Michael Friel is the newcomer to championship football he was on the panel b4 i think during the league during DC's first year in charge, since then Mickey has got himself into tremendous shape and he brings the brawn to Driver's speed and Muldoons flair, Friel loves getting his hands on dirty ball and has the strength to fend off tackles and give the ball to the attackers. Friel reminds me a bit of 93 great Brian McGilligan who done the donkey work for the attacking Anthony Tohill. I think Friel has been in great form so far this year as has Diver and Muldoon, i think if these three can create a platform to win ball in the middle we can take the game by the scruff of the neck and hopefully bring the Anglo Celt back home to Derry.

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 09/07/2011 13:31:09    978831

Link