Derry Forum

Underage Football Shambles

(Oldest Posts First)

Has anyone an opinion on the underage football leagues in Derry this year? In the last week 27 games were conceded by teams who had had enough. Some teams that started in April have only played five or six games in 5 months. Now the CCC annonunces in the Irish News that we have run out of daylight time to play the rest of the games in the evenings. Where else but in Derry!

sage (Fermanagh) - Posts: 5 - 10/09/2010 19:58:14    771244

Link

Derry treat underage footballers and hurlers very badly. Ive heard many accounts of matches being called off while the teams are on the pitch because there is no ref or because one of the teams is missing a key player the entire match being called off! We have to get things right from the very start or we will be turning many young talented players off the GAA in Derry. It really cant be that hard to organise. Does this only happen in Derry or are other counties blited with similar problems?

doire abu (Derry) - Posts: 540 - 12/09/2010 09:49:01    771967

Link

Its the same in Fermanagh as well. The organisation of the leagues is poor and only getting worse. Its being like this down home for about a decade. We have had years where the previous years league is fininshing up at the start of the next yeaer. Hopefully your county board get their acft together so that you don't fall into the same trap as ourselves

Moffy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 3 - 15/09/2010 11:24:21    774795

Link

Would it not be more beneficial for you people to attend your club committee meetings and air your points of view and get the club chairman to take your points to the county board. Club committee meetings are held to highlight frustrations and for the chairman to take these points forward to the county board. There is no county in Ireland perfect at underage or senior level but it won't get rectified by posting comments on Hoganstand.

It's only through making representation with the facts that people can be challenged and remedial action put in place to stop it from happening the future. Derry football and hurling at all levels needs attention. We can't continue depriving the future of Derry GAA matches especially at underage level because this is where we have to get them interested and it's not going to get them interested if games keep being cancelled.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 15/09/2010 17:30:31    775266

Link

OakGael
County: Derry

775266 Would it not be more beneficial for you people to attend your club committee meetings and air your points of view and get the club chairman to take your points to the county board. Club committee meetings are held to highlight frustrations and for the chairman to take these points forward to the county board. There is no county in Ireland perfect at underage or senior level but it won't get rectified by posting comments on Hoganstand.

It's only through making representation with the facts that people can be challenged and remedial action put in place to stop it from happening the future. Derry football and hurling at all levels needs attention. We can't continue depriving the future of Derry GAA matches especially at underage level because this is where we have to get them interested and it's not going to get them interested if games keep being cancelled.

Wise up Oakgael. Do you not think that club chairmen might have already mentioned this at the monthly meetings?? I dont think its something that has only started to happen. The County Board obviously know all about the non completion of leagues but do nothing about it. So going to the clubs committee has probably been done many times before. People can discuss on here whatever they want.
This does not concern me as I am not from Derry or Fermanagh but your point was a stupid one to make.
Hope use get the games played.

Brock_Lesnar (Tyrone) - Posts: 95 - 17/09/2010 11:01:53    776691

Link

17/09/2010 11:01:53
Brock_Lesnar
County: Tyrone

OakGael
County: Derry

775266 Would it not be more beneficial for you people to attend your club committee meetings and air your points of view and get the club chairman to take your points to the county board. Club committee meetings are held to highlight frustrations and for the chairman to take these points forward to the county board. There is no county in Ireland perfect at underage or senior level but it won't get rectified by posting comments on Hoganstand.

Wise up Oakgael. Do you not think that club chairmen might have already mentioned this at the monthly meetings?? I dont think its something that has only started to happen. The County Board obviously know all about the non completion of leagues but do nothing about it. So going to the clubs committee has probably been done many times before. People can discuss on here whatever they want.
This does not concern me as I am not from Derry or Fermanagh but your point was a stupid one to make.
Hope use get the games played.

No Brock whatever.... your point is the stupid one. Clubs in Derry constantly whinge over the fence and never do anything about it. Last night our new County manager was ratified. How many clubs attended.... at a guess 20... Last year a questionnaire was sent out by CCC giving free reign to clubs to air all grievances and what they wanted for the year ahead. 2 meetings were set up chaired by our previous Chairman and Secretary of CCC. How many clubs turned up??? 11 (roughly 25%) i think at the first meeting and about 16-18 (35-40%) at the second. I was my own clubs delegate at both. The delegates at this meeting requested lengthy breaks for exams and breaks for holidays which have been catered for by CCC this year along with other other matters ( League restructuring etc. ), but due to other factors ( teams not fielding, hurling fixtures, other mishaps ) the season has dragged on past the point of enough daylight to play midweek games.
On hindsight the CCC should not have granted these requests of breaks and played through exams and holidays and the Leagues would be finished by now and people would be complaining the season was over too early. Now i know some clubs had no matches for way too long this year at certain age levels but this was not intentional by CCC i would imagine. Discussion is the main point and another questionnaire will be sent out to clubs ( so the CCC Chairman told delegates last night ) and the same format will happen again, and i'll bet now that NOT HALF of the clubs will respond to the questionnaire or turn up at the meetings so don't talk about clubs and their Chairman Brock. Oakgael made a very valid point about the route to take. Only problem is Derry clubs will continue to slabber and not go through proper channels, as proved last year at above 2 said meetings.

kingpuck71 (Derry) - Posts: 673 - 17/09/2010 21:54:49    777443

Link

Although only a divisional board , the South west antrim board have well run under age structures in place. U 12 and U 14 teams play on friday evenings to the same opponents( home andd away on alternate years) hence decreasing travel expense,allowing strong U-12's to experience 15 a side game as well. U16 and U 18 play mid week. After league campaign , Cup and shield knockout allow teams to experience championship football. The underage season finishes with a week end of finals at each age group. Every team is guaranteed 15 -20 games per season. Fixtured are adhered to (more or less) by all clubs.

conair0 (Antrim) - Posts: 45 - 18/09/2010 21:08:10    777929

Link

Oh dear, the traditional voices have come out to play. Club reps voiced their displeasure last year and suggested in response to a questionnaire, the way forward. The CCC set an inordinate amount of time aside for exams and the traditionalists failed to mention a referees dispute over feile payments which held up the leagues, the way they ran senior championships on Thursdays when no officials were available for U16 football games and the fact that a number of clubs suggested moving U16 football to Fridays during exam times, but nothing happened. Twenty seven games conceded in one week of underage football. Good work king puck. Are you in charge?

sage (Fermanagh) - Posts: 5 - 19/09/2010 16:23:53    778185

Link

19/09/2010 16:23:53
sage
County: Fermanagh

Oh dear, the traditional voices have come out to play. Club reps voiced their displeasure last year and suggested in response to a questionnaire, the way forward. The CCC set an inordinate amount of time aside for exams and the traditionalists failed to mention a referees dispute over feile payments which held up the leagues, the way they ran senior championships on Thursdays when no officials were available for U16 football games and the fact that a number of clubs suggested moving U16 football to Fridays during exam times, but nothing happened. Twenty seven games conceded in one week of underage football. Good work king puck. Are you in charge?

No, not me sage. Mr. McCracken the man in the middle here.

I don't think a couple of Thursday Senior Championship matches can be blamed for the delay in underage. Nor as you put it a payment dispute over Feile. Anyone who knows anything about Feile knows that everybody works for Feile for free. No ref payments, no entrance fees to games, everything voluntary. One of the few events in the GAA that still grasps the "traditional" values so your statement on this is totally untrue and unfounded.

CCC get things wrong, of that there is no doubt, and the underage this year is one of their major failings but now the clubs have a chance to actually help make things better. Fill in the forms, get to Owenbeg and air their frustrations and point out any possible solutions. Many hands make light work. I can't comment on the proposal for Friday games for U.16 which sounded like a reasonable request.

kingpuck71 (Derry) - Posts: 673 - 20/09/2010 12:58:27    778861

Link