Derry Forum

Derry vs Mayo

(Oldest Posts First)

Mayo win 2+ but wouldn't be shocked if derry won.

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 634 - 26/06/2017 09:57:33    2005448

Link

Hi folks...not much interest in this game up this side? Plenty of talk of injuries on the Mayo team. I think game could be close enough. Mayo are not firing and if heads are not right we could well be in trouble but having said that I am backing our lads to pull through.

Safe traveling to anyone making the trip down west. I hope ye enjoy your time in Mayo, just hopefully not the result ;)

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 8991 - 28/06/2017 16:32:06    2006986

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Hi folks...not much interest in this game up this side? Plenty of talk of injuries on the Mayo team. I think game could be close enough. Mayo are not firing and if heads are not right we could well be in trouble but having said that I am backing our lads to pull through.

Safe traveling to anyone making the trip down west. I hope ye enjoy your time in Mayo, just hopefully not the result ;)"
Same to you. Hope you enjoy the match. May the best team win!!

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 634 - 28/06/2017 22:18:55    2007154

Link

Hard luck Derry. Ye had the chances in normal time as did we. Experience and fitness told in extra time.

Safe trip home. Met some nice Derry fans there today.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 8991 - 01/07/2017 22:09:27    2008613

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Hard luck Derry. Ye had the chances in normal time as did we. Experience and fitness told in extra time.

Safe trip home. Met some nice Derry fans there today."
Thanks Yew Tree - went down more in hope than expectation but with 5 mins left and us up by 2 i thought we might just pull this off - granted- that said mayo had enough chances to have been out of sight at that stage but they hadnt taken them - it was a strange game very open and littered with mistakes by both teams - i could go on about the missed penalty and the fluffed kick out straight to jason Doherty but in all honesty Mayo had too much fitness and experience and deserved to win - great Mayo fans all around me - i love mayo and the people great gaels and knowledgeable football people - would love to see you go on and win Sam after all the finals heartbreak you have went through recently - any way for Derry we have the minors in the ulster final in 2 weeks to look forward to so with 3 consecutive ulster final appearances you would have to think we have half a dozen boys coming through - hopefully some of the players who didnt commit to damian Barton come back and we can try and push forward in the next couple of years - heres hoping anyway

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 328 - 02/07/2017 12:01:08    2008847

Link

Great performance by Derry, given they were wiped out at midfield, especially after Conor McAtamney, who had been playing well, was black-carded. All the same, every single Derryman on the park worked their socks off and played with pride and courage and skill. As for Ben McKinless, he was mostly brilliant; he made 4 or 5 sensational saves that kept Derry in the game and is obviously a young man full of ability, confidence and attitude, stuff you can't learn, but what he will will learn with experience is judgement. He has great natural talent, he has balls of steel but he is only 19 - stick with him and we have a keeper for the next decade or more who can be our Cluxton. With no targets to hit from long kick-outs, having tried a few which resulted in O'Shea and Parsons dominating, he had no choice but to resort to short ones subjected to a full court press by Mayo - one or two of those go wrong and it looks like the inexperienced goalie cost Derry the game, which is utter bullshit. Brendan Rodgers and Niall Keenan were magnificent for Derry, the two McKaigues were reliably excellent as always. Niall Loughlin, marking Lee Keegan, footballer of the year, gave him all he wanted and is continuously improving. The commentary since the game has been enormously disrespectful of Derry, I believe, since our boys played really well, showing enormous amounts of both courage and proper footballing ability - having to run run everything from the back, however, given the lack of any midfield platform, meant that Derry were exhausted in extra time and Mayo's experience and physical conditioning kicked in. There are plenty of footballers in Derry as good as any in the country, as they showed yesterday, and there are a load of young boys coming through from the past three years' minor teams. The future is bright. Doire Abú.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 320 - 03/07/2017 02:44:44    2009317

Link

four things cost Derry victory in castlebar
1 kick outs which should have been addressed by management during the game.
2 no midfield which put severe strain on the defence who were all brilliant.
3 derry do not have a full forward line this has been the case for some time.
4 fitness. In the last two qualifier defeats Derry lost both games in the last 5-10 mins.
Damien stated two years ago when he took the post that he required athletes. when you look at Kielt Mcguckin Bell Lynch i don't think they fit his criteria These players have had plenty of chances. i don't include Mark Lynch in this last sentence he has been a major player for Derry over the last 10-15 years from minor level onwards but unfortunately his county days are over.
One thing has been identified from the latter stages of the naional league namely if the slaughtneil players had been available Derry would still be in Div2 These lads are great defenders and with Keenan and Mcfaul defence should not be a problen in the future.
Lastly Ithink another Damian the present minor manager should be given a chance at senior level as he has brought up the players over the last 3 years and knows there ability. It is vital we appoint the right person this time Div 3 is a good base to start for the new occupant. i am assuming of course there will be a change which Ithink is essentlal.

HJ (Derry) - Posts: 8 - 03/07/2017 15:58:04    2009741

Link

Lastly Ithink another Damian the present minor manager should be given a chance at senior level as he has brought up the players over the last 3 years and knows there ability. It is vital we appoint the right person this time Div 3 is a good base to start for the new occupant. i am assuming of course there will be a change which Ithink is essentlal.

HJ (Derry) - Posts:8 - 03/07/2017 15:58:04 2009741

I reckon your right on that one, best possible replacement at this stage. Division 3 might well be a great place to help gel a new team together, although its far from easy, as the overall standard has increased across the whole country.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3002 - 10/07/2017 13:03:06    2013960

Link

I definitely think Damian McErlaine will manage the seniors eventually - but we dont want to Rush him either, personally i think he should get the U21 position first so he can bring the minors that he has managed on and integrate the players smoothly and gradually instead of rushing them into senior football - its absolutely vital the county board get this whole process right this time or else we will ruin a whole crop of young promising players who have a winning mentality - get up to clones this sunday and support our future - and help get these young lads the success we deserve

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 328 - 11/07/2017 09:43:19    2014735

Link

I definitely think Damian McErlaine will manage the seniors eventually - but we dont want to Rush him either, personally i think he should get the U21 position first so he can bring the minors that he has managed on and integrate the players smoothly and gradually instead of rushing them into senior football - its absolutely vital the county board get this whole process right this time or else we will ruin a whole crop of young promising players who have a winning mentality - get up to clones this sunday and support our future - and help get these young lads the success we deserve

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts:317 - 11/07/2017 09:43:19

I wouldn't be surprised if Fergal McCusker gets a crack at the Senior job, he did great work with the U21's this year, and had Duffin not been sent off so early in the 2nd half of U21 Final against Donegal, I think we would be Ulster U21 champs right now. That way McErlaine could take the U20's in 2018, and bring a level of continuity to the whole thing.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3002 - 13/07/2017 09:44:41    2015941

Link