Sligo Forum

Popular Posts from 37sowhat

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Sledging and blocking - 6 Like(s)
How ironic that Jim Gavin and Mickey Harte should now take up arms against this new malaise that has blighted the game of Gaelic Football it would seem the latter's teams introduced it and the former's perfected it Do you remember the lad known as Ricey I can still see him giving physical and verbal grief to Colm Cooper As for Filly Mc Mahon he never stops I am told that Dublin have a professional basketball coach in their back room retinue teaching them how to block the runs of the giver of the pass I watched that on Saturday amazing the number of times Donegal players were balked at source as far as I recall that was an offence that Eugene Mc Gee black card was introduced to eliminate, no ref or linesman has taken up on it I don't think Sean Cavanagh was teaching Aidan O SHEA the words of 'the mountains of Pomeroy ' as he was seen to constantly roar in his ear throughout the first half. Once again I say the day the music died was that August Day in 2003 when for the first 30 minutes of that semifinalTyrone were allowed to exert all manners of intimidation on Kerry, that Tyrone team just as this Dublin one did not need to resort to those tactics,in football skills they match any team of any time.So Messers Gavin and Harte instead of moaning about the clinical and yes cynical ways opponents meet steel with steel rid your own house of the gutter tactics first and then talk to us about the others

37sowhat (National) - 09/08/2016 09:12:19

Paralysis of analysis - 3 Like(s)
I for one am getting tired of our Sunday game analysts From Spillane of 'let me not say anything if it isn't funny' to Brolly 'who can I offend' Whelan ' I hope the ref is listening ' Kearney ' I don't know the rules but I ll ref' it anyway and Des 'a critical' Cahill anything goes . It has taken the fun out of games and all anyone seems to do now is tear into the managers and players getting personal in their attacks and hurtful in their comments a la the aforementioned gurus It was refreshing to read the analyses of the two Daras ò Cinn and Ò Sèin the Irish Examiner and Times respectively the power of the thought out written word by men who have walked the walk Both articles were informed and incisive both giving Dublin the praise they were due and pointing out in a respectful way where they thought that Mayo came up short on the day both aware of the effort put in by players and management Yes Dublin are one of the great teams, the greatest of the present,I have seen in over 6 decades of watching the game I love. I even saw the last Mayo team to win Sam and marvelled at the skill of the Mongeys Carneys Langans and Wrynne's and what I do know is this six and a half decades is too long for a county of Mayos class and determination to have gone without the ultimate accolade All Ireland Champion I have seen inferior teams to this Mayo side walk home with what Pàidí RIP affectionately referred to as 'the canister' Johnny Logan's celebrated song was What's another Year but for Mayo it is an eternity To all the managers and teams who sweated blood for my enjoyment Míle Buíochad and to the two Dara's thank you for showing us how to do responsible respectful analysis. Go mbeirimíd beo ag an am seo arís.

37sowhat (National) - 05/10/2016 07:18:05

Objects thrown at referee David Gough - 3 Like(s)
Gough was plain bad his errors cost Kerry dearly the Crowley incident turned the game in Dublins favour end of story

37sowhat (National) - 28/08/2016 20:43:05

Donaghy - 3 Like(s)

Replying To SaffronDon:  "i have to say it was a definite strike and he should have walked. fair enough if the ref didn't see it but id expect a retrospective ban after that. but sure all you have to do is appeal one of those and he'll be back for the semi!"
A la Lee Keegan and Diarmuid Connolly would you say or the Connor fellow from Clare Why so much Kerry bashing if they win it is always a terrible game or a soft All Ireland if they lose their opponents are magnificent I suppose that is the price of being the KINGDOM We just hav to salute them

37sowhat (National) - 31/07/2016 20:11:05

Kerry 2017 - 2 Like(s)

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ironically it would have suited the likes of Mark O'Conner thing is if it is retained it would opend the door for the old fashioned immobile block midfielder just catch and kick put it this way wouldn't it suits on Tommy Walsh - what bugs me about the Gaa is they go hell bent straight in at the top regarding rule changes at senior intercounty level - bring rules changes in say at schools or colleges level see how it works out tweek it if necessary then when of if it works introduce at senior level - leave the senior game alone unless rule is beneficial and tried and trusted and a success - can you imagine if the mark was there in Darragh's time at the ones we lost in 2005 & 08 he fielded all daye those days"
Hopefully it will reopen door for Tommy Walsh too good to have been destroyed by TKs carrot Kerry need plan b and c plenty to work on by the way watch Rob O Shea from Gaeltacht he could be 2017 surprise packet one week more to announcement of Diarmuid Murphy's successor fits the bill

37sowhat (Kerry) - 22/11/2016 23:18:22

Where to next? - 2 Like(s)

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I would say we' Only get geaney the hermit which considering we won the McGrath cup and the league and the Munster championship and got to the allirland semifinal will be a poor showing, Mayo will get for winning nothing and Tyrone and roadies will get a few each I'd say."
You are spot on the only medals Mayo picked up were bought at at a pawn shop not even Connacht Kerry only team unbeaten by Dublin eight Mc Grath Munster and League considered less than Tyrone but the again All Star means little think of how many Seamus Moynihan won a man who would be first name on any team sheet during his career the only currency is the Celtic Cross which has eluded serial losers Mayo since 1952

37sowhat (Kerry) - 02/11/2017 14:21:20

Kerry 2017 - 2 Like(s)

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Eamon comes across as a stubborn man so can ye see him paying any heed to what Maurice has to say ? He didn't really listen to murph from what I could see."
Eamonn is anything but a stubborn man singleminded yes but democratic in all his dealings at work and at play has made errors, who hasn't? but always big enough to admit it Is highly respected by those who work with him and looked up to by the players This I am confident is the year it will turn out right and I see the new man Face Fits! as next Bainnisteöir Future is bright

37sowhat (Kerry) - 29/11/2016 23:25:12

Kerry 2017 - 2 Like(s)

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Is that John mark foley from kilgarvin 37 ?also dara Moynihan was at the combine and I think stefan okunbar. Any hint as to who the new selector will be ? I wasn't at the crokes game at all but that's good news about Murphy . Horse Ya I'm gona say it to our secretary as well about Tk the more the merrier sure."
No, Michael, Jason's brother.

37sowhat (Kerry) - 14/11/2016 11:22:59

Kerry 2017 - 2 Like(s)

Replying To Horsebox77:  "ok no K'boy I think you misread my post, if I was inside I would cull from the posts out - Keely, Kelly, Fionn, Podge, Aidan, Sheehan, Darran, Donaghy, BJ Keane... Gooch just about hanging in there but of the few mentioned as mad as it sounds in the local championship Aidan was the man who displayed the best form on the field - in saying that though time to hang up the boots and give the likes of Foley a blast at number 3 releasing Griffin to an advanced role... my only worry is the Mark will entice the likes of sheehan/donaghy to stay..... I don;t want to sound disrespectful, I have many a great weekend in Croker and Cork following these lads who owe Kerry nothing but but reform is needed and we need to build for the future.."
Hope you go to Mallow today see for yourself Gooch is still a match winner his vision makes him unique Donaghy still head and shoulders above most in fielding and distribution and from all who know him a veritable adrenaline pump in the dressing room so be gentle with the scalpel

37sowhat (Kerry) - 27/11/2016 09:30:39

All Ireland Hurling Semis. - 2 Like(s)
Kilkenny and Waterford thank you, to managers players supporters you restore our faith in Gaelic games and healthy manly rivalry None of the cheap gutter behaviour of the 'men' who gave such a shameful display of meanminded pettiness Hopefully Kerry Dubli and Mayo take a leaf out of the book that inspired this after noon's spectacle Somehow I think Tipperary footballers are not as yet contaminated by the Northern lights that blinded us to the beauty of our football game Hurling on another plane entertainment wise

37sowhat (National) - 07/08/2016 17:47:30

Kerry 2017 - 2 Like(s)

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Killarney on paddy a weekend , the dubs will be down anyway for the league game."
I gave your post thumbs down because it annoys me to see our sacred times diminished by carelessly falling into the pejorative. Some of our neighbours on the other island love to refer to us as 'paddy(paddies) with all the stereotypical negativity that goes with it St Patrick deserves more than being referred to as 'Paddy' and perish the thought of the ludicrous hats and red beards that appear around that time I am not old fashioned but don't like anything that smacks of stereotype I'm sure you did not mean it in that way we will be in Tralee to greet and best the Dubs on our National weekend Cìarraì Abú

37sowhat (Kerry) - 17/11/2016 16:40:23

Stephen Cluxton. - 2 Like(s)

Replying To TheUsername:  "To be honest mate I would struggle to put any Kerry player ahead of one of the Mayo ones picked, who would have added and subtracted? I take your point on Mayo winning nothing and actually we're beaten in the championship, purists would say they shouldn't have been in the final. That's not my opinion though. As fine a player as young Cliffard seems to be mate, Young Con won three All Ireland medals this year and he wasn't dancing around the edges he was in the vanguard of all three. Young David's time will come I am sure, but he's playing at three levels lower then Con (one at U21). It's not yet known if young David can be another Con."
Where was 'Con' 68 mins of final? Donnacha Walsh, a forward not renowned for proficiency in the scoring stakes, scored 6 pts against Tyrone!!so for me Cons big game was devalued by the poverty of this present Tyrone bunch I saw them in Killarney in the league they were pitiful Ulster football is weak 6 mediocre teams and 3 who don't enter calculations not even Brolly could make a case for the province just look at the Derry minors who won the Ulster minor title.

37sowhat (National) - 03/11/2017 23:40:00

Testimonials for individuals - in the GAA? - 2 Like(s)
Wonderful article by Michael Quirke in today's Irish Examiner pointing out the hypocrisy of Barrister Brolly from whom one expect far more than the Tabloid like article that he wrote for the Sunday Independent Let's face it life moves on --the Ban---,Ads on Jersies , remember the Cork 'scandal' of the 70s? tapes on nix-- the opening of Croke Park -- So thetime has come for GAA celebrities to be celebrated and maybe more thought given to how the funds generated should be spent But it is slightly unfair that the name and reputation of Colm Cooper be dragged through the mire A sportsman who played the game and not even in retaliation descended to the level of unsporting behaviour employed against him Long live the Gooch

37sowhat (National) - 17/10/2017 12:49:38

Where to next? - 2 Like(s)

Replying To as_ky:  "Problem with selectors is the buck stops with Fitz. Look, we have talent coming through that is the envy of the rest of the country. David Clifford will be a massive boost for Kerry next year."
Forwards galore but where is there an Aidan o Mahony Marc o Sè, Paul Galvin or Eoin Brosnan type of player to be found Too many small backs in the last 3 minor teams We will need patience and cool heads also we need to encourage rather than pull down those in charge Easy to win a game from comfort of front room or bar room the latter always a forum for the 'real' managers !!

37sowhat (Kerry) - 29/08/2017 09:54:26

Kerry 2017 - 2 Like(s)
'Anois teacht an earraig' The pudding consumed the daffodils awakening and the Mc Grath cup ready to roll so serious business from here on in The Tipp game should give an opportunity to blood fringe fringe players the likes of Mike McCarthys brother Ronan Murphy Beaufort Cathal O luing and a few more It is going to be hard juggling with U 21 and the 3 clubs in All Ireland seies but it is imperative

37sowhat (Kerry) - 30/12/2016 12:27:14

Kerry 2017 - 2 Like(s)
'Anois teacht an earraig' The pudding consumed the daffodils awakening and the Mc Grath cup ready to roll so serious business from here on in The Tipp game should give an opportunity to blood fringe fringe players the likes of Mike McCarthys brother Ronan Murphy Beaufort Cathal O luing and a few more It is going to be hard juggling with U 21 and the 3 clubs in All Ireland seies but it is imperative that September prospects are available for the league games against Donegal Mayo an Dublin no pussyfooting with players who won't be there when the days lengthen A lot of posters go with the line 'if you are good enough you are old enough' the converse is true if you are good enough you are never too old' example from another discipline a certain Zlatan Ibrahimovich makes waves at 36 so do not hasten the demise of Gooch Donaghy Donnacadh if keen to go they are still major players Something tells me this will be a bumper year on all fronts so let the adventure commence!

37sowhat (Kerry) - 30/12/2016 12:36:47

Kerry minors - 2 Like(s)

Replying To Kerrygold37:  "Thank you Horsebox77 for sharing that wonderful story about the Kerry Captain giving his match gloves to that kid. What a wonderful act of kindness. That example of unselfishness should be applauded and recognized. Unfortunately the County Board missed a tremendous opportunity to honor those young men and what they achieved. As you so correctly stated any other county would have gone all out to give them the homecoming they truly deserved. I applaud Kenmare for taking it upon themselves to honor the team. Too bad some of the clubs in the Killarney area didn't get together and follow the Kenmare example. I also agreed that introducing the minor team at halftime during next Sunday's games is far from adequate."
I like your posts you talk sense but zi disagree regarding home coming for wonderful minors I was in Tralee for the 1994 return very few turned out for it This minor team were very well treated as was their due nothing spared on them and the showed signs of it It will be a special moment for them in Fitzgerald stadium on Oct 2nd when the fans will give them the welcome they deserve the huha fomented by Radio Kerry in my opinion uncalled for underlining zPàidís famed assessment of the Kerry supporter Not enough to win they have to find fault with something incidentally the team did no win 3 in a row I don't think there was any member of the team or panel there in 2014 But what an array of underage talent has been unearthed since Mickey Ned and Johnno Keefe put the structures in place they should not be forgotten when the plaudits are bandied about The biggest threat to Kerry's developing these stars is from within Tadhg Kennelly shamefully boasted of 'taking Nicholas Murphy out' in the 2009 final Now there is A danger that he will do the same 'take out 'the likes of Marc O Connor David Clifford MicheáL Foley David O Brien to Australia By the way wouldn't it be nice to see the O SHEA boys emulate the feat of their cousin Shaw by winning an All Ireland medal The boy that stays at home nearly always comes off best

37sowhat (Kerry) - 22/09/2016 16:50:11

Lose 2 games and still win sam??? - 2 Like(s)

Replying To 222:  "Its alright for yous kerry boys an easy fixture against a Munster minnow and into the last 12."
For instance Tipperary check that out with Galway, Derry...Cavan Fermanagh or even Clare check that out with Roscommon Sligo and Kildare then there is always Cork who have won is it 7 Senor all Irelands that's as many as Tyrone Armagh Donegal and Monaghan combined and if you are still in a 'checking mood' check out how many Junior U21 and Minor titles Cork has won then ask yourself where are the minnows to be found ?! Messi might say " no hay mas ciego que el que no quiere ver" no one as blind as the one who does not want to see

37sowhat (National) - 04/08/2016 17:17:58

Kerry 2017 - 2 Like(s)

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Is that John mark foley from kilgarvin 37 ?also dara Moynihan was at the combine and I think stefan okunbar. Any hint as to who the new selector will be ? I wasn't at the crokes game at all but that's good news about Murphy . Horse Ya I'm gona say it to our secretary as well about Tk the more the merrier sure."
No, Michael, Jason's brother.

37sowhat (Kerry) - 14/11/2016 14:52:09

Kerry 2017 - 2 Like(s)

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Completely agree - I have always been an of th r opinion that managers should serve initially as selectors to get experience - Jack did it under Paidi Eamon did it under Jack and I too firmly believe in time Mossie will be the n as new in 2 years after Eamon walks but in the meantime we have a nice blend now on the white line - I don't think Eamon is egotistical and he comes across as very thoughtful on the game and deep in his approach - some have again mentioned the Marc on for Greaney sub I think this was tactical as Dublin had introduced a forward for a back at the time and we too had success building from the back in a time were we needed ball carriers - personally I think it was the right call it just didn't work out - small margins"
Good on you! it was a fine line call injuries to Darren and Donaghy left it thread bare up front and I'd say he had called Geaney ashore without realising what he'd done it made no difference to outcome as ball did not go into danger zone once after that other than foul on Crowley,what it did do was give the bar room experts fodder for their recriminations. Easy to manage from the ditch.

37sowhat (Kerry) - 30/11/2016 11:44:49