Meath Forum

Cork v Meath

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To pauk123:  "Down were in total cruise control for most of the 2nd half anytime we got a point they responded with ease. The only tactic we employed was to lob in high balls which they cleaned up. It was a totally one sided game. So yeah - hammered."
What about the 1 point hammering we gave Galway then. ?? Since two points is a hammering surely one is half a hammering? Maybe a mini hammer?.. :)//

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 15/03/2017 21:03:58    1967403

Link

Replying To pauk123:  "Down were in total cruise control for most of the 2nd half anytime we got a point they responded with ease. The only tactic we employed was to lob in high balls which they cleaned up. It was a totally one sided game. So yeah - hammered."
What about the 1 point hammering we gave Galway then. ?? Since two points is a hammering surely one is half a hammering? Maybe a mini hammer?.. :)//

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 15/03/2017 21:03:59    1967404

Link

Replying To nobull456:  "Mattemathics yeh agree. I will settle for seeing each player giving his best, and team working as a unit. Will want to see us learning from our mistakes,and shortcomings being addressed.. Game by game for now. For this game we simply have to win more around the middle . I expect Andy has planned for this. I expect he has worked to improve delivery to forwards, and forwards always ready to take possesion and responsibility . Most importantly and more difficult to achieve in short term improve success rate from frees.
Cork will be difficult ,and will hope to have a physical game to counter some our speedier forwards. I hope we can vary the approach ,and a target man used when play dictates it is the best option at that time . To me Newman back and fit would help here. Flanagan if fit can be used because of his fielding ability. These 2 back can give us that bit more height for this match.
I think we can win this match IF we have learned from the last few matches, and i do believe under Andy that work is in progress"
Flanagans all round game needs to improve though,also he had a terrible injury,would be surprised if he started. doubt we will see newman in the league this year.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 15/03/2017 21:07:54    1967406

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "A 2 point hammering. Now that's a new one lol"
Replying to Paul 123 Your frustration is obvious, The reality remains a new manager with limited resourses in terms of players. In fairness he seems to have given everyone a chance. Players back from injury may help. Very easy to go into a negative spiral no doubt about the short term future. What do you suggest by way of constructive critisism from here forward.. What should be done ? when? by whom? Just curious !

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1224 - 15/03/2017 21:43:52    1967412

Link

Seems to be a real mix of optimism and pessimism here, so just to hop on the fence for a minute, I think we should just wait and see where we're at, at present because personally I don't think anybody can claim to legitimately know. Our results have been very mixed this year (new manager, give him time) but it was pleasing to see us win a game the last day out that we almost certainly would have lost in the previous couple of years, that gives us hope, fingers crossed it isn't short lived though.

Now on the Cork game, I know they're not going great at the minute but it's still going to be big for this Meath team to go down there and get a result, if nothing else psychologically it would be big given some of the depths we've hit recently. Being 100% honest I don't see us getting a win, I think Cork are in need of points and will be gunning for us, but unlike other years, I'm not totally without hope.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 15/03/2017 21:54:56    1967417

Link

We are probably not is great shape to survive in Div 1. But Div 1 is where its at if I was playing for Meath or any or team not playing at the top level, I would want to be playing against the best in Div 1. Monaghan went form div 3 to div 1 and there for around 3 years now. Donegal where in and around our level around 2010 they are doing ok in div 1. Maybe things inst/didn't work out Cavan and Down. But at least the go the lead out of there behind and gave it a shot.

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 15/03/2017 22:56:35    1967430

Link

If I was to put money on it I would say Cork would win at home. But its been a real mix bag this year so far with results so god knows what could happen. If Leinhan COS and Reilly was to click you never know. If we could win this we would be in good shape to Beat fermanagh at home and Clare away. Some people point out Fermanagh beat us last year true. but we where down to 14 after about 20 mins in a miserable day in Brewster park. I think all things considered we should take them at home they are not going great either. And as the weather gets better I think it will suit us better. ie it should suit the likes of Mc McMahon Joey Wallace and Wille Carry and other small faster players. Whatever the result in Cork I do hope to get 4 points in our last 2 games.

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 15/03/2017 23:17:37    1967432

Link

Although pessimistic about this team I dont buy the idea that Div 1 would be a bad thing for us. At least the act of gaining promotion would see us achieving a pre-season goal for the first time in 7 years and would demonstrate the teams ability to 'make it happen' for the want of a better phrase.
The Kildare match could of been dismissed as first days blues, getting caught on the hop, letting them get a run on us after an early goal etc. But the Down match confirmed that the team is inconsistent, not capable of getting results and liable to lose to just about anyone. Galway offers hope but until we put of run of results together its hard to even imagine this Meath team getting close to promotion. for now its about keeping our heads above water. A loss to Cork will have our heads firmly under water.

RoyalBadger (Meath) - Posts: 571 - 16/03/2017 09:01:27    1967458

Link

Of course everyone wants to play and be in Div 1, but in life one has to face reality as no favours are given. We will reside in Div1 when we are good enough but I would not put a time limit on that. I have never put the value of Div 1 in first year as some have, but I would hope for a decent run in the important competition even it is in the back door.

Htaem comment: 'but it was pleasing to see us win a game the last day out that we almost certainly would have lost in the previous couple of years' a win is always pleasing to everyone', Last year in Galway we came from loosing a lead to drawing with 7 minutes to go and would have won the match but for a forward (who some consider in the top 10) giving 3-4 balls to the opposition inside 35m. Now to me a draw away with a pretty decent side equal a win by a point at home any day in terms of performance. On Cork it is difficult to predict as one does not know which teams will perform on the day- the best of luck to all and enjoy the weekend.

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 16/03/2017 09:46:38    1967468

Link

Replying To browncows:  "Of course everyone wants to play and be in Div 1, but in life one has to face reality as no favours are given. We will reside in Div1 when we are good enough but I would not put a time limit on that. I have never put the value of Div 1 in first year as some have, but I would hope for a decent run in the important competition even it is in the back door.

Htaem comment: 'but it was pleasing to see us win a game the last day out that we almost certainly would have lost in the previous couple of years' a win is always pleasing to everyone', Last year in Galway we came from loosing a lead to drawing with 7 minutes to go and would have won the match but for a forward (who some consider in the top 10) giving 3-4 balls to the opposition inside 35m. Now to me a draw away with a pretty decent side equal a win by a point at home any day in terms of performance. On Cork it is difficult to predict as one does not know which teams will perform on the day- the best of luck to all and enjoy the weekend."
Haha kinda just disagreeing with me for the sake of it there browncows, if there's a genuine point to be debated we can have a go, but I'm sceptical about your last comment.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 16/03/2017 10:52:58    1967494

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "No one should have a cowardly attitude to division one, this type of attitude has crept into Meath psych over last number of years. Division 1 will bring on any team that is a fact, as playing against better teams can only improve you.
I guarantee you Andy is not afraid of promotion and hopefully he has knocked that cowardly trait out of the players, some who might have been happy doing just enough to stay in div 2 , knowing excuses would be plenty from those who were also on the yellow side. Not anymore. Andy will not allow that attitude. Which Is fantastic for all involved.
Hon the royal"
its not a cowardly attitude at all its a sensible attitude. by simply being in division 1 will not bring on any players. we need to get consistent and be beating teams regularly not once every 1-2 games. once we are consistent and competitive then div 1 should be the goal. by going up up to divsion one now would i feel have a negative impact on the team. getting regular heavy defeat will drain the morale of any team not just meath and that could send us on a similar path like westmeath

srgt_slaughter (Meath) - Posts: 462 - 16/03/2017 11:48:35    1967521

Link

This forum would make your heart sink at times. There's some posters on here who absolutely clobber the team when they lose and still scoff when they win. It's nauseating.

Another criticism often parroted on here is that we don't have the players, which is a nonsense too. Not only do we have some excellent players, but we also have a manager who I've faith in being capable of developing others and moulding a strong team. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Moreover, as has been shown by the games so far, this league has been very competitive and if we do manage to win promotion we'll have earned it. End of story. Some of you really need to stop being so crushingly negative.

GlasgowRoyal (Meath) - Posts: 293 - 16/03/2017 12:00:28    1967530

Link

Replying To nobull456:  "Replying to Paul 123 Your frustration is obvious, The reality remains a new manager with limited resourses in terms of players. In fairness he seems to have given everyone a chance. Players back from injury may help. Very easy to go into a negative spiral no doubt about the short term future. What do you suggest by way of constructive critisism from here forward.. What should be done ? when? by whom? Just curious !"
Stop changing the manager and thinking the new managers structure will solve all the problems we have in 2 or 3 years only to be disappointed and a new messiah to come in a do the same again. The problems run far far deeper that the senior team or even the U21 and minor grades.
Look at the coaching structure and numbers of coaches in Meath compared to Fingal in Dublin (not in it's entirety just Fingal). Navan is a disgrace as a county ground. I hear Dunganny is good but to be honest I haven't seen it. Who's in charge of all of this? The executives at the co board.

The thing that frustrates me about Andy is that he puts out simplistic sound bites about pride in the jersey (paraphrasing slightly) etc. In my opinion that lets too many people off the hook. In fairness I understand that he can't say the players aren't good enough but at least something about the structure in terms of coaching and infrastructure not being there. Micko, for all his perceived faults, did speak about this right from the start. I feel we are in another cycle in 3 years it won't have worked out and we'll be back at square one again. Doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

pauk123 (USA) - Posts: 189 - 16/03/2017 13:43:06    1967572

Link

Division 2 has been more competitive than Division 1 this year, its more difficult to predict the result in Division 2. We have a chance against Cork, a nice mix of the all that went right V Derry and a bit of the confidence that saw us come back against Galway would put us on the right side of the result. Its a little early to be talking about promotion, if we win our 3 games then we can examine it. It would of course be a good thing to get into Division 1, it would be a sign of progress and would give everyone involved a bit more confidence. Its always encouraging to see a team progressing especially when it appears that with a few tweaks they could be even better, such as the addition of a few U21's and returning players. Tyrone are sitting at the top of Division 1 as I type and while their promotion was fairly straight forward last year they didn't hammer any team. In all honesty I am sure if Meath were to be playing Tyrone anytime soon in Croke Park or Navan then most of us would give Meath a fighting chance so therefore if Meath do manage to get promoted at the end of this league then it is something that should be fully grasped and the very most made of it. But for now its 1 game at a time.

anto_meath (Meath) - Posts: 108 - 16/03/2017 14:43:53    1967591

Link

Replying To GlasgowRoyal:  "This forum would make your heart sink at times. There's some posters on here who absolutely clobber the team when they lose and still scoff when they win. It's nauseating.

Another criticism often parroted on here is that we don't have the players, which is a nonsense too. Not only do we have some excellent players, but we also have a manager who I've faith in being capable of developing others and moulding a strong team. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Moreover, as has been shown by the games so far, this league has been very competitive and if we do manage to win promotion we'll have earned it. End of story. Some of you really need to stop being so crushingly negative."
I agree with a lot of what you're saying GlasgowRoyal, I think some people can be overly negative, personally I like to try and stay as balanced as possible but can get a little negative after poor defeats, which is caused by frustration more than anything.

I wouldn't fear promotion either (although I've made no secret of the fact that I don't think we'll be in the shake up), but on the off chance that we did go up, that is to be celebrated not condemned. Some will argue that 'we're not equipped to go up', well if that's the attitude then why take a promotion spot at all, why not forfeit it to another team, one with ambition.

As for us having excellent players, I'm not 100% sure on that, I think Keogan is an excellent player who'd be welcome on any intercounty panel. After that, off the top of my head I think we have some good intercounty players like D Tobin, Biggy, O'Sullivan, Newman, but after that I think we're quite average/inconsistent/unproven.

However I think our behind the times underage coaching (which in fairness is improving) and very poor County championship structure (which isn't improving) has let a lot of our players down and needs to change to increase intensity and competitiveness.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 16/03/2017 14:54:05    1967595

Link

Meath play armagh in a challange saturday Andy still looking at a few players .any team news yet

matthematx (Meath) - Posts: 177 - 16/03/2017 16:10:14    1967623

Link

Replying To srgt_slaughter:  "its not a cowardly attitude at all its a sensible attitude. by simply being in division 1 will not bring on any players. we need to get consistent and be beating teams regularly not once every 1-2 games. once we are consistent and competitive then div 1 should be the goal. by going up up to divsion one now would i feel have a negative impact on the team. getting regular heavy defeat will drain the morale of any team not just meath and that could send us on a similar path like westmeath"
So are you or others then hoping for a defeat v cork? Or is it Fermanagh? Or Clare. ? Which one will those who don't want us to be In Division 1 be hoping we get beat. And I am not been pedantic, I just can't get my head around not wanting to succeed.. I think it's very unmeath like. The reality is if we were to prevail in cork and last two games we would more than likely be promoted. Honestly it would be fantastic Imo

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 16/03/2017 16:49:36    1967635

Link

Okay guy. I'm fine with keeping things real but a lot of negativity on here. Yes Cork is probably our toughest game so far. They will be up for this game but Meath do indeed have a chance of beating them and saying so is not a bad thing. Am tired of the argument we are not ready for division 1. No team in division 2 is ready for division 1. Breaking into that top 6 in division 1 is hard but you have to take the challenge. We won't get any better saying we are not ready. We have to go and find out. As said on here a win in Cork would be huge and probably our first away win in Cork ever. Will be tough but I think with two weeks training to focus on this match and if midfield holds we have a great chance at getting 2 valuable points. Up the Royal.

Meathmen (Meath) - Posts: 73 - 16/03/2017 16:54:15    1967639

Link

Replying To pauk123:  "Stop changing the manager and thinking the new managers structure will solve all the problems we have in 2 or 3 years only to be disappointed and a new messiah to come in a do the same again. The problems run far far deeper that the senior team or even the U21 and minor grades.
Look at the coaching structure and numbers of coaches in Meath compared to Fingal in Dublin (not in it's entirety just Fingal). Navan is a disgrace as a county ground. I hear Dunganny is good but to be honest I haven't seen it. Who's in charge of all of this? The executives at the co board.

The thing that frustrates me about Andy is that he puts out simplistic sound bites about pride in the jersey (paraphrasing slightly) etc. In my opinion that lets too many people off the hook. In fairness I understand that he can't say the players aren't good enough but at least something about the structure in terms of coaching and infrastructure not being there. Micko, for all his perceived faults, did speak about this right from the start. I feel we are in another cycle in 3 years it won't have worked out and we'll be back at square one again. Doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity."
How do you know he didn't say anything about the structure in terms of coaching and infrastructure not being there ? And would that conversation not just involve Andy and the chairman ?

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 876 - 16/03/2017 17:58:39    1967650

Link

Replying To Htaem:  "I agree with a lot of what you're saying GlasgowRoyal, I think some people can be overly negative, personally I like to try and stay as balanced as possible but can get a little negative after poor defeats, which is caused by frustration more than anything.

I wouldn't fear promotion either (although I've made no secret of the fact that I don't think we'll be in the shake up), but on the off chance that we did go up, that is to be celebrated not condemned. Some will argue that 'we're not equipped to go up', well if that's the attitude then why take a promotion spot at all, why not forfeit it to another team, one with ambition.

As for us having excellent players, I'm not 100% sure on that, I think Keogan is an excellent player who'd be welcome on any intercounty panel. After that, off the top of my head I think we have some good intercounty players like D Tobin, Biggy, O'Sullivan, Newman, but after that I think we're quite average/inconsistent/unproven.

However I think our behind the times underage coaching (which in fairness is improving) and very poor County championship structure (which isn't improving) has let a lot of our players down and needs to change to increase intensity and competitiveness."
Wasn't having a go at yourself Htaem, what you said makes sense, unlike some posts which defy logic.

GlasgowRoyal (Meath) - Posts: 293 - 16/03/2017 18:03:20    1967652

Link