Meath Forum

Cork v Meath

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To bert09:  "
Replying To royaldunne:  "[quote=ziggy32001:  "[quote=pauk123:  "Interesting snippet from Andy regarding the players in the Down match
"That was my fault. We have to question whether they were prepared properly for it"
He's basically admitting that he and his team cost us a chance of being promoted. I'd hope he'd learn quickly from his mistakes, there were plenty that night."
Andy McEntee wasn't getting carried away with Meath's gutsy win over Galway, insisting they need to produce performances like that on a more regular basis.

The Royals bounced back from their surprise defeat to Down to end the Tribesmen's unbeaten record in Division 2 of the Allianz Football League at Pairc Tailteann.

"Producing it one day and not producing it the next day is not acceptable," the Meath manager stressed.

"We can't pick and choose the days that we want to play. That has to be the standard now and they have to be qualities that we bring to the table every day we play. If they're capable of doing it today, they're capable of doing it next week.

"They were capable of doing it last week in Newry, but they just didn't do it. Everybody has to look at themselves. Maybe that was my fault. We have to question whether they were prepared properly for it, so everybody has to take a look at themselves after a performance like last week and I'm no different to anyone else - I have to look in the mirror before I start accusing anyone of doing anything."

this is what he said...

you also made up your own quote.."
Thank you. This just proves my point about agendas. Andy like all good manager included himself in those that has to improve, however he knows we know and most importantly the players know what he means. You can't play like that v Galway and like we did v Down it doesn't make sense. No excuses even after a win. Not like saying we went toe to toe with a division one team who aren't really a division 2 team for 20 minutes.
What a refreshing approach. The more I hear from Andy the more I wouldn't Change him even for Gavin."]Gavin is a dub! Get hold of yerself man!"]Yeah ok that comment was a bit too much. I withdraw it lol.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 06/03/2017 21:35:41    1964832

Link

Replying To grahamc9897:  "Pity Andy Tormey us still not around the panel ! I Know he's injured but I saw him recently in a club match and he was head and shoulders above the rest!!

He Could have been an option for 14..."
Heard Tormey did his cruciate again in Club match last Sunday week v Senchaltown. What a cruel thing to happen and he was trying to recover from prolonged ankle problem. That's sport.
Best of luck to Meath v Cork, hope our man Lenihan does aswell as he did last Sunday, he was brilliant.

castleroyal (Meath) - Posts: 57 - 07/03/2017 12:08:18    1964983

Link

Replying To castleroyal:  "Heard Tormey did his cruciate again in Club match last Sunday week v Senchaltown. What a cruel thing to happen and he was trying to recover from prolonged ankle problem. That's sport.
Best of luck to Meath v Cork, hope our man Lenihan does aswell as he did last Sunday, he was brilliant."
That's awful for the lad. Hope his recuperation goes well.

oldsam_newsam (Meath) - Posts: 638 - 07/03/2017 14:23:12    1965031

Link

Replying To castleroyal:  "Heard Tormey did his cruciate again in Club match last Sunday week v Senchaltown. What a cruel thing to happen and he was trying to recover from prolonged ankle problem. That's sport.
Best of luck to Meath v Cork, hope our man Lenihan does aswell as he did last Sunday, he was brilliant."
Thats the game I was at ! It looked like an ankle injury though ??

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 07/03/2017 14:40:58    1965041

Link

Article in todays Indo suggests that both the McEntees, Newman, and Ward may be in contention for Cork game. Injuries starting to clear up.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tobin-calls-for-more-consistency-from-hitandmiss-royals-35507954.html

seadog54 (Meath) - Posts: 2142 - 07/03/2017 20:13:21    1965234

Link

Replying To seadog54:  "Article in todays Indo suggests that both the McEntees, Newman, and Ward may be in contention for Cork game. Injuries starting to clear up.

Good" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tobin-calls-for-more-consistency-from-hitandmiss-royals-35507954.html"
Good news !! Even if we loss to Cork I think the feel good factor is starting to return to Meath football ! We know what out limitations are but we need to begin to raise the bar a little! With everyone fit we have a competitive team and a strong manager!! Up the Royal

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 08/03/2017 11:26:13    1965370

Link

Replying To grahamc9897:  "Good news !! Even if we loss to Cork I think the feel good factor is starting to return to Meath football ! We know what out limitations are but we need to begin to raise the bar a little! With everyone fit we have a competitive team and a strong manager!! Up the Royal"
Great win again Galway but still they managed to close 7 points gap--we were 4pts up at HT then 3pts down a few mins into second half.

Reasons to be optimistic with attitude of players but still lots of work to do. Green shoots for sure but we've had so many false dawns

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 08/03/2017 12:17:37    1965384

Link

Replying To bert09:  "Great win again Galway but still they managed to close 7 points gap--we were 4pts up at HT then 3pts down a few mins into second half.

Reasons to be optimistic with attitude of players but still lots of work to do. Green shoots for sure but we've had so many false dawns"
We are what we are now! A middle of the road division 2 team! Look were not gonna win anything but let's try and develop some players and begin to build again !

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 08/03/2017 15:02:45    1965459

Link

Replying To bert09:  "Great win again Galway but still they managed to close 7 points gap--we were 4pts up at HT then 3pts down a few mins into second half.

Reasons to be optimistic with attitude of players but still lots of work to do. Green shoots for sure but we've had so many false dawns"
Yes fair play to Lenehan after his poor match few weeks back. He gets the chance to redeem himself ,and does it in style. His scores left and right were a joy to watch Menton deserves the chance to play in his best position at 7, and Flanagan in the middle which is his best position . Hopefully he can fully regain match fittness. If we can deal with breaking ball round the middle plus Flanagans fielding ability from Corks kickouts ,then we can beat Cork 1. POR 2. Donal K . 3 mC Gill 4. Tobin 5. Carry 6. Harnan . 7. Menton 8. Toher. 9. Flanagan. 10. Forde. 11. COS. 12. Reilly 13. Lenihan. 14. Newman. 15. S. Tobin. Subs Power, E Wallace, M. Burke.McMahon,McEntee, Kennelly

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1224 - 08/03/2017 15:25:06    1965470

Link

The win against Galway was very sweet for us fans because we've seen Meath faulter and collapse on so many occasions of late and it must also have given the squad a much needed boost.

It would be great to see us go down to Cork and get a result and I sincerely hope our lads believe 100% that they are going to do just that. But we as fans must remain realistic, it's still very early days into McEntee's reign and miracles don't happen over night, there's lots of work yet to be done and Cork are in need of a result as well don't forget, I just hope we don't pay the price for that.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 08/03/2017 15:55:17    1965485

Link

Replying To nobull456:  "Yes fair play to Lenehan after his poor match few weeks back. He gets the chance to redeem himself ,and does it in style. His scores left and right were a joy to watch Menton deserves the chance to play in his best position at 7, and Flanagan in the middle which is his best position . Hopefully he can fully regain match fittness. If we can deal with breaking ball round the middle plus Flanagans fielding ability from Corks kickouts ,then we can beat Cork 1. POR 2. Donal K . 3 mC Gill 4. Tobin 5. Carry 6. Harnan . 7. Menton 8. Toher. 9. Flanagan. 10. Forde. 11. COS. 12. Reilly 13. Lenihan. 14. Newman. 15. S. Tobin. Subs Power, E Wallace, M. Burke.McMahon,McEntee, Kennelly"
Absolutely agree with this team apart from 1 change I'd make, eamon Wallace for Tobin , let Wallace play as an extra half forward and I think Newman and lenihan would be a very dangerous 2 man full forward line

redser123 (Meath) - Posts: 402 - 08/03/2017 16:24:45    1965496

Link

Replying To grahamc9897:  "We are what we are now! A middle of the road division 2 team! Look were not gonna win anything but let's try and develop some players and begin to build again !"
Hmmmmmm...Call me mad and it might be the eternal optimist in me but I think we could win something this year.

Here's why-
We have players in team that can bring us on a lot from last year--alan forde, Donal lenihan, cillian o Sullivan (I know lenihnan and Sullivan were there last year--but they are improving a lot)

Add to the mix a manager who is a proven winner and we are closing the gap.

Add just a little bit of never say die belief and you just never know....

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 08/03/2017 16:39:52    1965498

Link

Replying To bert09:  "Hmmmmmm...Call me mad and it might be the eternal optimist in me but I think we could win something this year.

Here's why-
We have players in team that can bring us on a lot from last year--alan forde, Donal lenihan, cillian o Sullivan (I know lenihnan and Sullivan were there last year--but they are improving a lot)

Add just a little bit of never say die belief and you just never know...."
Win what?? Not being smart just interested in your opinion ?

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 08/03/2017 16:55:48    1965504

Link

Replying To bert09:  "Hmmmmmm...Call me mad and it might be the eternal optimist in me but I think we could win something this year.

Here's why-

Optimism is never a bad thing bert but unless we win Div2 (which is not mathematically impossible but is improbable) then I can't see what else we're going to win this year. Leinster is out of the question given how far behind Dublin we still are and you can say the same about the All-Ireland with a few extra teams thrown in.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 08/03/2017 18:21:32    1965522

Link

Here's why-

I agree, but one game at a time. I think we can beat cork, actually I think we will beat them, won't be easy but I think we will.
I think the trophy most in our achievable would be division 2 title.
But let's see how it pans out.
Hon the royal

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 08/03/2017 19:02:02    1965535

Link

Anyone any opinions on the 4 new players brought into the squad?

Snakeyfox1 (Meath) - Posts: 6 - 08/03/2017 19:28:02    1965538

Link

Replying To Snakeyfox1:  "Anyone any opinions on the 4 new players brought into the squad?"
What new players??

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 08/03/2017 20:15:29    1965546

Link

Replying To grahamc9897:  "Win what?? Not being smart just interested in your opinion ?"
I don't think we will win division 2 but I think we have a good shot at leinster--better than the last few years. not saying we will win it but with the right attitude we can give it a good shot and with a bit of luck you never know...

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 08/03/2017 20:24:50    1965548

Link

Replying To Htaem:  "Optimism is never a bad thing bert but unless we win Div2 (which is not mathematically impossible but is improbable) then I can't see what else we're going to win this year. Leinster is out of the question given how far behind Dublin we still are and you can say the same about the All-Ireland with a few extra teams thrown in."
Ha! I'm about as optimistic as Sean Boylan...With the right attitude, focus and gameplan there's no reason why we couldn't give the dubs a good rattle. I refuse to accept the argument that we don't have the players to compete.

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 08/03/2017 20:28:28    1965549

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "I agree, but one game at a time. I think we can beat cork, actually I think we will beat them, won't be easy but I think we will.
I think the trophy most in our achievable would be division 2 title.
But let's see how it pans out.
Hon the royal"
I think we can beat cork, but I worry about Fermanagh....Such is unpredictable nature of the team at the moment

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 08/03/2017 20:29:49    1965550

Link