Meath Forum

Meath Minor Football championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Royalblufill:  "Well ratlag - you were almost right in fairness! Ratoath blew dunboyne away in the second half - the subs they brought on made a huge difference and young McGowan was outstanding! Johnson too was excellent! Dunboyne didn't have anyonebat their level - they moved Liam byrne into full forward- I am guessing he was injured. I for one didn't see that margin of win coming. Fair play to Ratoath - unbeaten through the whole thing. I was told that not one of their players started in the 17s intercounty thing!"
Nobody in Ratoath let alone the county saw that margin of victory. The subs at half time and bringing Johnson out around the middle made a huge difference, Dunboyne took almost 15-20 mins to get their first scoe in the second half, and that with the aid of a deceptively strong wind. Only Duune the Ratoath number 14 was on the Meath pannel and the No. 2 Crawford (although injured most of the year). McGowen who once again gave a masterclass in fielding around the middle and kicked 2-3 brilliant points, Rogers who played on the wing and again was immense, Byrne at wing back and the captain Ben Wyer who was outstanding at full back didnt even get a look in with the U17 county team. Now I'm not saying that they would/should have started on the county team but if the management of that team are honestly saying that those lads arent among the top 25-30 in the county at that age then you have to wonder what the selection process is??

ratlag (Meath) - Posts: 557 - 09/11/2017 10:19:31    2061359

Link

Replying To Drawmatch:  "In the past games involving Dunboyne and Ratoath have always been close affairs with only a point or two between them and a few draws in there also and regardless who plays tomorrow night or who doesn't it is sure to be a close match
I personally hope each team have their best players available and let them at it, in the last game of their juvenile careers for a lot of them
All in Dunboyne know they must be favorites for this and nothing bar a win is what they are thinking
For an U17 team to have 5 starting county minors on it, all of whom are touted as shoe in's for their club senior squad next year and with others on that team excelling, against a team with only one who was a sub, there surly can only be one outcome
Ratoath have had a good run but this must be the end of the road"
Spot on again in your prediction........oh wait......

hilloftara (Meath) - Posts: 48 - 09/11/2017 10:48:29    2061366

Link

Replying To ratlag:  "Nobody in Ratoath let alone the county saw that margin of victory. The subs at half time and bringing Johnson out around the middle made a huge difference, Dunboyne took almost 15-20 mins to get their first scoe in the second half, and that with the aid of a deceptively strong wind. Only Duune the Ratoath number 14 was on the Meath pannel and the No. 2 Crawford (although injured most of the year). McGowen who once again gave a masterclass in fielding around the middle and kicked 2-3 brilliant points, Rogers who played on the wing and again was immense, Byrne at wing back and the captain Ben Wyer who was outstanding at full back didnt even get a look in with the U17 county team. Now I'm not saying that they would/should have started on the county team but if the management of that team are honestly saying that those lads arent among the top 25-30 in the county at that age then you have to wonder what the selection process is??"
Agree with you totally! I have seen McGowan play a few times this year - and each time he has been outstanding. He is a big guy but is skillful too! Looking back now - when Cian Swaine got injured for the Minors - McGowan would have been a great replacement! AQnyway - future looks good for Ratoath - I was told that 7 of teh lads who finished played last night for them were Under 16! The two corner forwards who came on and made a big difference are both under 16!

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 09/11/2017 11:34:27    2061377

Link

Replying To Royalblufill:  "Agree with you totally! I have seen McGowan play a few times this year - and each time he has been outstanding. He is a big guy but is skillful too! Looking back now - when Cian Swaine got injured for the Minors - McGowan would have been a great replacement! AQnyway - future looks good for Ratoath - I was told that 7 of teh lads who finished played last night for them were Under 16! The two corner forwards who came on and made a big difference are both under 16!"
I went over to the match and was very impressed with Ratoath second half performance . I thought Dunboyne played fairly good in 1st half as conditions suited them but Ratoath blew them away in 2nd half. No 15 Johnson dominated 2nd half especially Dunbpyne kickouts and has very good hands and sees a good pass. I agree their must have been a few lads that should have made Meath minor and 17s from Ratoath like big midfelder but maybe some very young players are not that interested in the workload involved in county teams at this age and maybe in a few years time if all still playing might have a chance . I thought no 3 for Dunboyne an excellent player also

Bear10 (Meath) - Posts: 463 - 09/11/2017 12:45:38    2061392

Link

Congratulations Ratoath

What do you mean not interested in work load at this age
These guys thrive on this as is evident in last night performance
Wyer, Newe, Byrne, McGown, Rogers, Johnson, McNally all excellent for Ratoath
For me Dunboyne didn't/don't have the winning attitude needed to beat Ratoath

Drawmatch (Meath) - Posts: 19 - 09/11/2017 15:03:30    2061404

Link

Replying To Drawmatch:  "Congratulations Ratoath

For me Dunboyne didn't/don't have the winning attitude needed to beat Ratoath"
Any of those players eligible for U17s county this year?

ziggy320001 (Meath) - Posts: 2432 - 09/11/2017 17:34:54    2061437

Link

Replying To ratlag:  "Nobody in Ratoath let alone the county saw that margin of victory. The subs at half time and bringing Johnson out around the middle made a huge difference, Dunboyne took almost 15-20 mins to get their first scoe in the second half, and that with the aid of a deceptively strong wind. Only Duune the Ratoath number 14 was on the Meath pannel and the No. 2 Crawford (although injured most of the year). McGowen who once again gave a masterclass in fielding around the middle and kicked 2-3 brilliant points, Rogers who played on the wing and again was immense, Byrne at wing back and the captain Ben Wyer who was outstanding at full back didnt even get a look in with the U17 county team. Now I'm not saying that they would/should have started on the county team but if the management of that team are honestly saying that those lads arent among the top 25-30 in the county at that age then you have to wonder what the selection process is??"
Any of these available for county U17s next year?

ziggy320001 (Meath) - Posts: 2432 - 09/11/2017 17:37:27    2061439

Link

Agree some good underage players on show last night for both clubs and certainly you would like to see a few of them go on to play Senior for their respective clubs. Maybe a couple might get a go at Meath under 20 in a couple years

Bear10 (Meath) - Posts: 463 - 09/11/2017 17:38:00    2061440

Link

From what I have seen Rodgers looks excellent,but were the U17s county team struggled last season at times was midfield,you wonder how McGowan didn't get in.

ziggy320001 (Meath) - Posts: 2432 - 09/11/2017 17:39:06    2061441

Link

From what I have seen Rodgers looks excellent,but were the U17s county team struggled last season at times was midfield,you wonder how McGowan didn't get in.

ziggy320001 (Meath) - Posts: 2432 - 09/11/2017 17:42:00    2061442

Link

Not sure why Dunboyne management left Johnston on his own in middle of the field... He was involved in every move for Ratoath..

royaljackeen (Meath) - Posts: 37 - 09/11/2017 17:46:41    2061443

Link

Replying To ziggy320001:  "Any of those players eligible for U17s county this year?"
Understand ratoath number 6 - newe is under 16 plus a few others - kelly in midfield the keeper and the two subs who came on corner forward - Clark and ahern - ahern scored 3/4 points - think only newe (and maybe the keeper) are involved in the 16s squad! Dunboyne had a few 16s but not sure how many of them are involved with the 16s

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 09/11/2017 21:35:31    2061494

Link

Replying To ziggy320001:  "Any of those players eligible for U17s county this year?"
Understand ratoath number 6 - newe is under 16 plus a few others - kelly in midfield the keeper and the two subs who came on corner forward - Clark and ahern - ahern scored 3/4 points - think only newe (and maybe the keeper) are involved in the 16s squad! Dunboyne had a few 16s but not sure how many of them are involved with the 16s

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 09/11/2017 21:35:37    2061495

Link

Replying To Royalblufill:  "Understand ratoath number 6 - newe is under 16 plus a few others - kelly in midfield the keeper and the two subs who came on corner forward - Clark and ahern - ahern scored 3/4 points - think only newe (and maybe the keeper) are involved in the 16s squad! Dunboyne had a few 16s but not sure how many of them are involved with the 16s"
From what I have seen Rodgers should be looked at for the U20 panel and possibly McGowan at least as panel players.

ziggy320001 (Meath) - Posts: 2432 - 10/11/2017 08:28:18    2061520

Link

Replying To ziggy320001:  "From what I have seen Rodgers should be looked at for the U20 panel and possibly McGowan at least as panel players."
Possibly 1

Meath_True (Meath) - Posts: 285 - 10/11/2017 10:01:23    2061535

Link

Replying To Royalblufill:  "Understand ratoath number 6 - newe is under 16 plus a few others - kelly in midfield the keeper and the two subs who came on corner forward - Clark and ahern - ahern scored 3/4 points - think only newe (and maybe the keeper) are involved in the 16s squad! Dunboyne had a few 16s but not sure how many of them are involved with the 16s"
Sorry possibly 1 on the extended panel

Meath_True (Meath) - Posts: 285 - 10/11/2017 10:06:55    2061538

Link

Replying To Meath_True:  "Sorry possibly 1 on the extended panel"
There wasn't as much comment on the Senior Final

Analyst (Meath) - Posts: 1467 - 10/11/2017 10:37:01    2061550

Link

Replying To Analyst:  "There wasn't as much comment on the Senior Final"
No great surprise in that. The likes of Ratoath and Dunboyne would have a fairly young demographic. Growing towns, lots of young families over the past 10-15 years. More so than Summerhill or Simonstown. And young people tend to engage more in online discussions than us old farts. And they especially like to discuss things they know something about, like underage teams.

But hey if it makes you feel any better to try and portray this as "ratoath supporters mouthing off again" which is obviously what you are at, then fire away. It does get a bit boring after a while though.

anfearbeag (Meath) - Posts: 1134 - 10/11/2017 11:52:26    2061567

Link

Meath GAA discussion forum member complaining about other Meath GAA discussion forum members discussing Meath GAA matters.

Ratoath Royal (Meath) - Posts: 1362 - 10/11/2017 13:38:19    2061605

Link

Replying To anfearbeag:  "No great surprise in that. The likes of Ratoath and Dunboyne would have a fairly young demographic. Growing towns, lots of young families over the past 10-15 years. More so than Summerhill or Simonstown. And young people tend to engage more in online discussions than us old farts. And they especially like to discuss things they know something about, like underage teams.

But hey if it makes you feel any better to try and portray this as "ratoath supporters mouthing off again" which is obviously what you are at, then fire away. It does get a bit boring after a while though."
Not from Ratoath but the are obviously doing fantastic work,the likes of Navan O Mahonys are struggling at underage

ziggy320001 (Meath) - Posts: 2432 - 10/11/2017 13:40:33    2061606

Link