Meath Forum

Meath Minor Football championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Meath_True:  "If you've been keeping an eye on the underage for the last number of years , Na Fianna and Dunboyne have come up against each other regularly with just a hares breath between them always . Never get tooo cock sure of yourself when they meet . And if you recall Ratoath beat Dunboyne last year in Senechalstown , So it's not all with NscFianna just yet ."
Ratoath beat Dunboyne in the 16 final two years gao.
Na Finana beat Ratoath in the 17 final last year!

Should be a cracking final! Anyone know when it is on. I heard someone say it is being played before the Senior Final but Meath GAA still has it as TBC

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 16/10/2017 09:33:14    2055506

Link

Replying To Royalblufill:  "Ratoath beat Dunboyne in the 16 final two years gao.
Na Finana beat Ratoath in the 17 final last year!

Should be a cracking final! Anyone know when it is on. I heard someone say it is being played before the Senior Final but Meath GAA still has it as TBC"
Last year Cills bet Na Fianna as curtain raiser to senior final and with many adult finals league and championship played it looks like this good plan will happen again this year

numberedjerseys (USA) - Posts: 348 - 16/10/2017 15:57:33    2055597

Link

Replying To numberedjerseys:  "Last year Cills bet Na Fianna as curtain raiser to senior final and with many adult finals league and championship played it looks like this good plan will happen again this year"
Yeah - see it now on Meath GAA - final is at 1.00 on teh 29th before the Senior Final.

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 18/10/2017 16:38:51    2056051

Link

Was as the Summerhill v Cilles game last night Div 2 . Summerhill very strong down the middle with no 6 Keane outstanding . Not sure who they have in the final but they are near enough a Div 1 Team . Glad to see the Div 1 Final on Senior Final day. . Ratoath looked good the bit I saw in semi final and have young Aherne at 11 and will need curtailing as possibly the best forward in meath at this age but if Na Fianna do well on him it will have big influence on result. Na Fianna have Walsh who plays full forward and is capable on winning a game on his own also and if curtailed will help ratoath. I saw nearly all the Dunboyne Na Fianna game and was very impressed with work ethic of the Na Fianna Forwards especially the half forward line . Both teams in the final are there on merit and if I were to call it I would go for Na Fianna but only Just

Bear10 (Meath) - Posts: 463 - 19/10/2017 14:22:15    2056228

Link

Replying To Bear10:  "Was as the Summerhill v Cilles game last night Div 2 . Summerhill very strong down the middle with no 6 Keane outstanding . Not sure who they have in the final but they are near enough a Div 1 Team . Glad to see the Div 1 Final on Senior Final day. . Ratoath looked good the bit I saw in semi final and have young Aherne at 11 and will need curtailing as possibly the best forward in meath at this age but if Na Fianna do well on him it will have big influence on result. Na Fianna have Walsh who plays full forward and is capable on winning a game on his own also and if curtailed will help ratoath. I saw nearly all the Dunboyne Na Fianna game and was very impressed with work ethic of the Na Fianna Forwards especially the half forward line . Both teams in the final are there on merit and if I were to call it I would go for Na Fianna but only Just"
I think Wolfe tones are in the division 2 final. They had a very tight game in the group stage and I would expect the same again in the final!

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 20/10/2017 07:15:44    2056437

Link

Replying To Bear10:  "Was as the Summerhill v Cilles game last night Div 2 . Summerhill very strong down the middle with no 6 Keane outstanding . Not sure who they have in the final but they are near enough a Div 1 Team . Glad to see the Div 1 Final on Senior Final day. . Ratoath looked good the bit I saw in semi final and have young Aherne at 11 and will need curtailing as possibly the best forward in meath at this age but if Na Fianna do well on him it will have big influence on result. Na Fianna have Walsh who plays full forward and is capable on winning a game on his own also and if curtailed will help ratoath. I saw nearly all the Dunboyne Na Fianna game and was very impressed with work ethic of the Na Fianna Forwards especially the half forward line . Both teams in the final are there on merit and if I were to call it I would go for Na Fianna but only Just"
I think the division 1 final is way more than just two players! Ratoath are strong in every position from what I saw in the semi - na fianna have some top class players in key positions
Ahearn didn't play in the league game he was injured so good as he is, ratoath can play without him.

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 20/10/2017 07:19:10    2056438

Link

Replying To Royalblufill:  "I think the division 1 final is way more than just two players! Ratoath are strong in every position from what I saw in the semi - na fianna have some top class players in key positions
Ahearn didn't play in the league game he was injured so good as he is, ratoath can play without him."
yep just checked that league game result between Ratoath and Na Fianna in Enfield on which Ratoath won by 8 points (without Aherne you are saying ) who is probably their top score taker they have to be favourites so . The only thing tor Ratoath this year is that they have not really been in a tight battle as have just too good unlike Na Fianna who were also in last year's final . Looking forward to this final more than senior as will be closer

Bear10 (Meath) - Posts: 463 - 20/10/2017 09:32:09    2056458

Link

Replying To Bear10:  "yep just checked that league game result between Ratoath and Na Fianna in Enfield on which Ratoath won by 8 points (without Aherne you are saying ) who is probably their top score taker they have to be favourites so . The only thing tor Ratoath this year is that they have not really been in a tight battle as have just too good unlike Na Fianna who were also in last year's final . Looking forward to this final more than senior as will be closer"
A big thing though in the league game - na fianna finished with 13!

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 20/10/2017 12:03:15    2056524

Link

Replying To Bear10:  "yep just checked that league game result between Ratoath and Na Fianna in Enfield on which Ratoath won by 8 points (without Aherne you are saying ) who is probably their top score taker they have to be favourites so . The only thing tor Ratoath this year is that they have not really been in a tight battle as have just too good unlike Na Fianna who were also in last year's final . Looking forward to this final more than senior as will be closer"
A big thing though in the league game - na fianna finished with 13!

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 20/10/2017 12:03:22    2056525

Link

Replying To Royalblufill:  "A big thing though in the league game - na fianna finished with 13!"
Still though anything above 8 points is a bit of a going over. If you were to call both games in Div 1 and Div 2 who would you go for and Why ?

Bear10 (Meath) - Posts: 463 - 20/10/2017 16:39:43    2056629

Link

Replying To Bear10:  "Still though anything above 8 points is a bit of a going over. If you were to call both games in Div 1 and Div 2 who would you go for and Why ?"
In division 2 I think summerhill will win if conor frayne is available
If not it is a toss of a coin, summerhill gave Liam shaw who is a classy player and Wolfe tones have Saran o Fionagainn who is a bit of a tank / I fancy summerhill

In division one - na fianna have more Meath minors and 17s. They are a tough team - Ratoath will need to be on their game

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 20/10/2017 18:56:06    2056675

Link

Replying To Royalblufill:  "In division 2 I think summerhill will win if conor frayne is available
If not it is a toss of a coin, summerhill gave Liam shaw who is a classy player and Wolfe tones have Saran o Fionagainn who is a bit of a tank / I fancy summerhill

In division one - na fianna have more Meath minors and 17s. They are a tough team - Ratoath will need to be on their game"
Yes if Frayne on his game he could be the difference for summerhill and if Keane is able to Marshall Saran o Fiannagoin it will be for the Hill to lose. . In Div one it is very hard to call as you say Na Fianna might have more experience and will hold no fear based on their semi final . But I wish all 4 teams well in the last year of the under 18 minor championship

Bear10 (Meath) - Posts: 463 - 20/10/2017 20:13:42    2056698

Link

In Div 1 it's hard to see anything other than a handy win for Ratoath. I believe preparations have gone well. The players have been wrapped in cotton wool since the semi final win, so I expect them to be like grease lighting come Sunday.
Na fianna on the other hand have had a few injuries to try and sort out , while trying to also prepare for a hurling final.
Bearing in mind Ratoath won the earlier encounter by 8 without Fadden & Aheran it's No-brainer. Ratoath by 8 again

In Div 2 Summerhill should hav too much for Tones
Summerhill by 5.

Upforyourball (Meath) - Posts: 37 - 24/10/2017 20:17:31    2057681

Link

Replying To Upforyourball:  "In Div 1 it's hard to see anything other than a handy win for Ratoath. I believe preparations have gone well. The players have been wrapped in cotton wool since the semi final win, so I expect them to be like grease lighting come Sunday.
Na fianna on the other hand have had a few injuries to try and sort out , while trying to also prepare for a hurling final.
Bearing in mind Ratoath won the earlier encounter by 8 without Fadden & Aheran it's No-brainer. Ratoath by 8 again

Summerhill by 5."
This simply isn't true, Na Fianna are and should be favorites for this match, they have a star studded team full of county players and are competing in their second final in a row
If you are trying to put up a smoke screen and big up Ratoath it won't work , they know the mighty task they have in front of them

Drawmatch (Meath) - Posts: 19 - 24/10/2017 21:20:27    2057705

Link

Replying To Drawmatch:  "This simply isn't true, Na Fianna are and should be favorites for this match, they have a star studded team full of county players and are competing in their second final in a row
If you are trying to put up a smoke screen and big up Ratoath it won't work , they know the mighty task they have in front of them"
What part isn't true ?
I have no desire to big up anyone. Just stating the facts, and telling it as I see it as I did for the semis.
Ratoath won the earlier encounter minus their TWO main score getters. If I'm misinformed I apologize

Upforyourball (Meath) - Posts: 37 - 24/10/2017 22:06:20    2057715

Link

Replying To Upforyourball:  "In Div 1 it's hard to see anything other than a handy win for Ratoath. I believe preparations have gone well. The players have been wrapped in cotton wool since the semi final win, so I expect them to be like grease lighting come Sunday.

Summerhill by 5."
Yes Summerhll should win Div 2 according to all reports but it will not be easy as Wolfe Tones wont be far off the mark. In Div 1 Apparently from a previous report Na Fianna had only 13 players for second half v Ratoath and were missing a lot of their stronger players on that day . Ratoath Looked strong versus Senchalstown but Na Fianna are a much stronger physical team and from looking at the Dunboyne game will be favourites in my opinion .

Bear10 (Meath) - Posts: 463 - 25/10/2017 11:34:33    2057802

Link

Replying To Bear10:  "Yes Summerhll should win Div 2 according to all reports but it will not be easy as Wolfe Tones wont be far off the mark. In Div 1 Apparently from a previous report Na Fianna had only 13 players for second half v Ratoath and were missing a lot of their stronger players on that day . Ratoath Looked strong versus Senchalstown but Na Fianna are a much stronger physical team and from looking at the Dunboyne game will be favourites in my opinion ."
Correct
Na Fianna are with out a doubt favorite
Way bigger and stronger and simply better

Drawmatch (Meath) - Posts: 19 - 25/10/2017 13:20:19    2057851

Link

Replying To Drawmatch:  "Correct
Na Fianna are with out a doubt favorite
Way bigger and stronger and simply better"
Bit of an odd statement, bigger and stronger doesn't mean better!! I would have them as slight favourites alright, if there was betting I would say Na fianna 10/11 Ratoath 11/10. In the earlier game this year as mentioned earlier Ratoath were missing their 2 main marksmen in ahearn and Fadden which as seen in the matches since seems to be worth 5-6 points between them. The 8 point victory is a bit misleading considering Na Fianna had 2 men sent off but thats football, if it happens on Sunday and Ratoath win then its because they were the better team, and vice versa. Both teams have had very strong U17 teams (teams below this current minor group) the last 2-3 years, both competeing for Dvision 1 finals and semi finals although Na Fianna didn't field this year due to numbers I assume, which will be big boosts to the squad as it means they both have very good players on the bench as well as the pitch. I can't see this being more than a 2-3 point game at most and will tip Ratoath just about but I wouldn't rule any result out.

ratlag (Meath) - Posts: 557 - 25/10/2017 13:43:02    2057862

Link

Replying To Drawmatch:  "This simply isn't true, Na Fianna are and should be favorites for this match, they have a star studded team full of county players and are competing in their second final in a row
If you are trying to put up a smoke screen and big up Ratoath it won't work , they know the mighty task they have in front of them"
Not sure where you got this information - in terms of Ratoath they certainly haven't been wrapped in cotton wool. Their 17s played a tough semi final last week and I know a good few of them were involved in a schools game today! I don't think Na Fianna will be overly worried about Ahern either - remember they have plenty of county players - far more than Ratoath. They should be able to look after him well enough.

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 25/10/2017 13:48:13    2057865

Link

Summerhill by 5."
Not sure where you got this information - in terms of Ratoath they certainly haven't been wrapped in cotton wool. Their 17s played a tough semi final last week and I know a good few of them were involved in a schools game today! I don't think Na Fianna will be overly worried about Ahern either - remember they have plenty of county players - far more than Ratoath. They should be able to look after him well enough.

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 25/10/2017 14:07:29    2057877

Link