UK Forum

Popular Posts from Yondu

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

What's Going On In Roscommon? - 8 Like(s)
No evidence of player power and hard to believe that someone from Roscommon would run with such fake news. Plenty of evidence however of a poorly run county board and I think Roscommon especially the players have dodged a bullet by not getting O'Rourke. With his poor management CV, the distance to travel,his struggle to put any management team together and worse of all his S&C coach sub letting his job on social media. The fact is Roscommon can do so much better than him.

Yondu (National) - 25/10/2018 11:55:14

National Football League 2019 - 7 Like(s)
I watched the full game on TG4 and my neutral view point is not only did Roscommon deserve to win that game but they deserved to win that game by a bit to spare. Half of the Tyrone frees, all tap over frees at that, was Tyrone playing the ref as a stronger ref would not have given them as fouls at all. Tyrone's correct score yesterday should have been about 1-6 and there is question marks about a square ball on their goal also. Roscommon for their effort should have scored more than 1-10 but no doubt on the day the team that defended,attacked better and scored the most from play was Roscommon. Morgan and the rest of his team mates must still be laughing today at how they stole the draw at the end and young Harney will have to learn about the antics of the top sides. That performance by Roscommon was so far removed from the Super 8's game last August when Roscommon players were bullied and tossed aside like rag dogs and time and time again their porous defence was cut to shreds by waves of Tyrone attacks. Yesterday Roscommon stood strong and at times out muscled Tyrone physically and defended every attack like their lives depended on it. Roscommon should take great heart from all 3 league performances, there is now a solid steel spine running through this Rossie team. Conor Cox has been the find of the year and with a number of regulars to come back in the next few weeks, there is every reason to be optimistic of maintaining Division 1 status which would be an outstanding achievement.

Yondu (Roscommon) - 11/02/2019 14:54:50

Tricky Back Door - 6 Like(s)
Not sure where this Mayo will be grand if they avoid Tyrone comes from? last year Derry and Cork should have beaten them and they were less than convincing in other games the year before v Fermanagh,Westmeath etc.. Tyrone are a younger and fresher team I would be more sure of them reaching the super 8 than Mayo.

Yondu (National) - 20/05/2018 20:32:52

Well Done Anthony Cunningham - 5 Like(s)
@Pope_Benedict To be fair Anthony Cunningham deserves a lot of credit for stopping the rot in Galway hurling, In the previous 5 years before he became Galway manager they reached zero AI finals. He turned a bunch of talented but flaky Galway men and molded them into a very physical hard nosed outfit. The Galway panel that won the 2017 All Ireland was basically built under the good work by Cunningham. And i might add what i seen with Galway hurlers this year is the return to their flaky self. On last Sunday and where in your view Galway played "bad" I'd more to the fact they were made look bad by a team that out fought them and out thought them tactically by Cunnigham and his management. Can't really be going on about the unavailability of players when Roscommon were also missing some key players and lost 3 important players to injury during the game (Cregg,Smith and Devaney) Regardless what happens in the super 8s i don't think Roscommon winning this Connacht title beating Galway in Pearse Stadium and Mayo in MacHale Park will be forgotten about for some time and that achievement should not be belittled.

Yondu (National) - 20/06/2019 15:10:36

National Football League 2019 - 4 Like(s)
After a promising start it's all gone pear shaped for Roscommon. 22,20,20 conceded the last 3 games is the prime reason why Roscommon lost all 3 and Roscommon needed to keep the scores down to stand any chance of winning those games. I think players that are missing has caught up with Roscommon. Niall McInerney John McManus,Cathal Compton,Brian Stack Fintan Cregg,Ciaran Murtagh Diarmuid Murtagh would all be starters in this league if they were around or fit. Other counties in Div 1 with big picks such as Galway can cope with a few players missing but not Roscommon as even with a full hand they lack in strength in depth and can't afford to be missing so many first choice players. Bringing in Fitzmaurice,Darcy,Lyons etc and expecting them to make impact off the bench in Div 1 is just a prime example to how light on numbers and options Roscommon have right now. Roscommon were never expected to stay up with such a high player turn over from last summer and injury list and I suppose to be still within a chance and hope of staying up with a game to play is not something most Roscommon supporters expected.

Yondu (Roscommon) - 21/03/2019 15:34:06

Kevin Walsh Has Stepped Down - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Mailman98:  "Not before time. The first year he managed us we played Donegal in Croke Park. With the exception of Dublin they were the best team we played under his tenure. He hadn't yet fully ensconced us in the blanket defence so we played a decent brand of football and if it wasn't for poor decisions from KW on the day we might even have won. With the exception of 3 wins over very undercooked Mayo teams it's been all down hill since. The only way is up no matter who the new man is."
Any Galway supporter has a serious chip on their shoulder if they choose not to acknowledge the improvement and progress done under Kevin Walsh. Brushing off the Mayo wins like you have done so here is humorous posting. The new man will have a good squad with a good age profile to work with. I'm hearing Alan Flynn is posed to be Walsh's replacement. I don't think he's up grade on Walsh. Won the U21 All Ireland in 2013 but Galway were real lucky to get out of Connacht that year and the following year Flynn overseen a championship knock out to Leitrim.

Yondu (Galway) - 05/09/2019 17:26:52

James Horan Is Back - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Inaroundehouse:  "Is there a better panel in Mayo now than when Horan left previously. I don't think so. So what's going to make the difference this year or next year above any other year previous?"
The panel James Horan left behind in 2014 still had Alan Dillion,Barry Moran on it who were still able to provide a capable role for the team. Andy Moran,David Clarke aged 30 Keith Higgins 29 Colm Boyle 28 Seamus O Shea,Ger Cafferky,Chris Barrett 27 Tom Parsons 26 Donal Vaughan,Kevin McLoughlin 25 Jason Doherty,Aidan O Shea,Lee Keegan 24 Cillan O Connor 22 Add 5 years onto to ages for 2019 plus the high mileage on their legs and you see clearly that this panel will not be better or at the same level. Some good players coming through but nearly every county in the top 10 has that but what Mayo need is replacements that are going to be as good as the likes of Boyle,Higgins,Moran and be able to make an impact in the business end of the championship. Challenging time ahead for Mayo and much tougher job for Horan on his return.

Yondu (National) - 25/09/2018 17:09:25

Manager For Galway U20 Job - 4 Like(s)
Lets be honest that Galway U20 team did not live up to the hype. A team should not be given hype for winning a challenge game tournament and Connacht like it was minor 2017 was mediocre this year. PJ should be left at underage management for a while yet as he has lots to learn. To let Dublin's main scoring forward in for two easy goals early on and never broke even in midfield was like Galway management did no homework on Dublin at all. Thats a good Dublin but not one of their recent better underage teams and I won't be surprised if Cork or Tyrone beat them in the final.

Yondu (Galway) - 27/07/2019 21:27:40

The Super 8 - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Rosineri1:  "everyone seems to be saying its all down to mgmt, S&C, mental attitude.... I know a lot of people won't like this being said, but maybe our players aren't good enough for this level. Most of our players are good talented footballers, but who do we have that are top top level, I mean to be talked about with the likes of McBrearty, McManus, Geaney, Fenton, Keegan etc... We keep talking about potential, but most of these lads have been around a few years now. Also our team to me seem to be far too nice, there is no streak of nastiness in the team, lads who will do the dirty work to ensure you cross the line as winners. You will find all the top teams have a few lads who other teams hate, to be honest I don't see that in this team. I think we can get bullied far to easily by the bigger stronger teams, you need a few players on the team who can ensure that we don't get pushed around to easily."
Good players you mentioned there are only so good because they play in well organized teams put most of them into the Roscommon unorganized team and they would struggle to stand out at all. I'm not from Roscommon but i must say my heart went out to those Roscommon players who were sent out like lambs to the slaughter last Saturday. Nothing was learnt from that Mayo 20 point defeat at all last year it was case of McStay thinking what worked against Armagh that don't defend would work against extremely well drilled Tyrone team. You might be one supporter that doesn't see it but Roscommon have the best pick of players available to them right now in the county since 1998-2001. In a few years time Roscommon will be picking from a much weaker hand. Its up to any management to pick their best panel,team and to have players that are tough enough for this level and to have them fit and conditioned which after 3 years they still aren't. I don't believe he has his best panel available to him after all he has some players on the 26 last week that wouldn't get starts on the top clubs in the county. He and his management team has never sorted out the goal keeping issues why? there is plenty of decent defenders in the Dalys,McInerney,McManus,Murray etc but decent defenders are no use if the defence has no structure or system to it and again this is ongoing problem in McStays term. Can't play defensive he says well how about defending in a respectable manner? stop playing forwards in defence might be a start. How many different players has now played at number 3 and 6 in the last 3 years? The Kilroy sweeper thing is killed stone dead at this stage why continue it? someone taller and stronger should be given that role. O Rourke is in his 2nd year now and isn't cutting at at senior level at all and probably never will. Too many small nippy similar players are selected in the forward line and D Murtagh for example is crying out for target man to play along side him I'd say he'll be given one more year to correct all of these issues which should include bringing in a defensive,tackling and proper fitness coach and if those issues remain in 2019 its probably best for Roscommon football to part ways with McStay and his management team.

Yondu (Roscommon) - 18/07/2018 19:24:23

Club Championship 2017 - 4 Like(s)
Up in Ulster the best players in Antrim,Fermanagh,Down,Derry aren't giving commitment to their county because they don't feel things are going right with the county setup with the management or county board while Monaghan who have a similar pick of players have a good manager and county board that has things in order and every top player in that county wants to play for them. When you see top quality players like Kevin Higgins not giving his commitment to his county its clear Roscommon now seem the same in the same bracket as Antrim,Fermanagh,Down,Derry when in truth with the talent available to Roscommon should be at Monaghans level at least right now.

Yondu (Roscommon) - 21/05/2017 19:13:58

Spiddal Potential All Ireland Champs - 4 Like(s)
Great for An Spidéal to win the Connacht title but lets be honest a rather lucky win today. The sending off for the Fuerty number 2 was very harsh and they lost their midfielder early in the 2nd half to a very soft black card and he was winning a mountain of ball before going off. Their best player,top scorer and only county senior county footballer Niall Kilroy was played with bandage on leg. The goal in the first minute proved key as outside of the 1-14 scored I think they only kicked 3 wides.

Yondu (Galway) - 18/11/2018 18:00:13

What's Going On In Roscommon? - 4 Like(s)

Replying To TheFlaker:  "Name one? Name the guys you would be happy with then? I love these flippant comments. I am not saying that O Rourke is the man but you don't know who is."
Not from Roscommon so what makes me happy makes little difference. Any number of their recent managers that led them to underage Connacht titles would be better. O'Brien who won Connacht club titles and if he isn't given the Dublin hurling job Roscommon based Anthony Cunningham would be a far better option than O'Rourke. I hope that reply helps for the poster that doesn't like to answer anything but loves to ask questions.

Yondu (National) - 25/10/2018 19:33:21

The Next Senior Football Manager - 4 Like(s)
The big problem is do we have the defensive players in the county to make a difference. All the talk about defensive coaches and S&C is irrelevant if you don't have the personnel. Towny10 (Roscommon) - Posts: 1 - 05/10/2018 01:32:24 21452 That's nonsense. Counties with less defensive players can defend better because Roscommon have no proper defensive structures in place. S&C is key in todays game and Roscommon's S&C has been appalling with a number of players either over weight or still as skinny as their underage days. Roscommon will regress further until such time that the right personnel is brought into the next management team to sort out the defence and S&C issues.

Yondu (Roscommon) - 05/10/2018 13:19:06

National Football League 2019 - 3 Like(s)

Replying To reffingmad:  "Done is a lucky boy to only get one game, however it was inevitable considering previous suspension for similar offence. As for Higgins, I don't think he warranted any suspension. Draw a line under it and move on."
How is he lucky if a similar incident was also one match ban? only those that was losing the run of themselves thought the ban would be longer. Not sure about the moving on either as If Roscommon lose narrowly on Sunday they can point to the loss Donie Smith playing a part in that. On Higgins last i checked you aren't allowed to throw your head in the direction of opponent regardless to what may have happened to him.

Yondu (Roscommon) - 30/01/2019 12:50:36

The Next Senior Football Manager - 3 Like(s)
Will be a far better appointment than the county boards "preferred" candidate. With the right back room team in place he has the potential to improve the defensive and fitness issues under McStay and if he does then Roscommon are well capable of becoming established and competitive top 8 team.

Yondu (Roscommon) - 09/11/2018 16:36:33

Connacht Championship 2019 - 3 Like(s)

Replying To kiloughter:  "What gives you the knowledge that the likes of Molloy, Duggan or Cooke will not start if fit. Cooke played all league games this year until he got injured. Duggan was first choice in last year's championship until he got injured between the Sligo and Ros games so he would have started last year's Connacht Final otherwise. Molloy to most Galway football folk i have spoken to is first choice so one or two comments on our page to the contrary does not make it a compelling argument he would not start. It's gas ye still think Comer may feature on Sunday. Comer did not even make the bench two weeks ago in Annaghdown's opening club championship match. Conroy did play for his club and I actually thought he might make the bench on Sunday but KW seems to have ruled that out."
Lets be honest he has fair knowledge that they aren't certain starters. Cooke,Duggan,Molloy,McDaid etc would be possible starters but the only certain starters (note the word certain) Galway are missing from the published line up is Conroy and Comer. Roscommon who unlike Galway aren't talking about missing players are without 4 certain starters Ciaran Murtagh,Ultan Harney,Niall McInerney and Cathal Compton. Other possible starters are Stack,McManus and F Cregg

Yondu (Roscommon) - 13/06/2019 14:37:56

Connacht Championship 2019 - 3 Like(s)
Well done to Roscommon last Sunday the best team by some distance won. A few words on a manager that i talked up on here in November even tough some rossie posters had doubts about his quality but doubt i'm sure are no more as he has delivered in style. That win on Sunday and indeed this whole Connacht championship had all the hallmarks of any successful Anthony Cunningham team in the past. He's a progressive manager and the teams he has managed so far have been left in a better place from when he took them over. Running through the players that played on Sunday that rarely or never started under the last management. Darren O'Malley very much the number 1 keeper again but this was known when John Evans was manager. Conor Daly showing high performance levels at corner back as he did on the DCU sigerson cup winning team of 2015. His eldest brother Niall Daly a sigerson cup winner with UCC one of the stand out players on this team now, youngest of the brothers Ronan starting in his first ever Connacht final did a fine job at marking Shane Walsh the same player that was given the freedom of Hyde Park last year. Conor Hussey power and controlled aggression that was much needed in previous years in the half back line and big change from playing natural forwards there. Shane Killoran who had major influence on the contest and last but not least Conor Cox who has been the signing of the summer. After beating two Div 1 teams away from home an All Ireland semi final appearance is achievable goal right now. Last year didn't go so well and was no way back after that round 1 hammering but to get the opening round this time in Hyde park and have 4 weeks to prepare are two big bonuses. Interesting times ahead for Roscommon, not just this summer but the years ahead under this management team.

Yondu (Roscommon) - 18/06/2019 20:06:38

Club Championship 2019 - 3 Like(s)
Boyle score 2-26 and beat Clann na nGael by 21 Points this evening. Clearly Clann management have learnt nothing from a similar beating off Corofin last year.

Yondu (Roscommon) - 24/08/2019 18:48:11

Galway Minor Footballers 2019 - 3 Like(s)

Replying To Yondu:  "All Ireland quarter finals will be Galway v Kildare and Mayo v Dublin. Having watching both games live i'd expect both Galway and Mayo to reach the AI semi finals."
Well I did call it early lads. Why I got thumbs down I'll never know?

Yondu (Galway) - 27/07/2019 21:17:28

The Super 8S - 3 Like(s)

Replying To endgame:  "We'll disagree there.If Mayo had a top class forward like David Clifford or Conor McManus,they'd have won at least one of the Finals they lost since 2012"
You disagree that Mayo have shot themselves in the foot so often? 2017 the last All Ireland final they reached had Cillian O'Connor top scorer that summer with 3-66 and Andy Moran named footballer of the year after finishing the top scorer from play. Mayo's 1-16 in the 2017 final was the highest score for All Ireland final loser since Galway in 1973 and a higher score than Dublin managed in AI finals 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2016.

Yondu (Roscommon) - 09/08/2019 01:50:57