UK Forum

Popular Posts from dickie10

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Portlaoise Sunday Town Goal - 3 Like(s)
big support needed on sunday in portlaoise, we need to make the traditional meath end in portlaoise a wall of noise and green and gold, bring out the flags and as many bodies as you can fit in cars , this is our all ireland final. Clare are a team that could be easily rattled by this and it will lift our lads as it did against westmeath in 2002 and 03 and galway in 07 and limerick in 09. we need to bring out the crowd for this game , so you all know who you are if you were there in the above years see you up there sunday again.

dickie10 (Meath) - 03/07/2019 23:12:53

Meath V Dublin - 3 Like(s)
lads its a farce we all know it. im goin to the junior game and ill be only half interested in the second game ill support the lads but its only going through the motions , we need to get this sham over and done with and focus on the qualifier game a fortnight later. it wont even be woth analysing

dickie10 (Meath) - 17/06/2019 22:33:12

Meath V Kildare - 3 Like(s)
if people keep harping on about how far we have fallen then most teams in ireland cant celebrate a win, look at down,cork,cavan all counties with numerous all irelands that dosent mean they keep whinging about how far they have fallen.

dickie10 (Meath) - 03/03/2019 20:11:46

Leinster SFC Predictions - 2 Like(s)
well said who really cares about this farce of a championship at this stage. id like to see my own county beat carlow saturday as they should but i wouldnt really mind a handy exit in semi final and avoid the expense of a farcical leinster final

dickie10 (National) - 23/05/2019 23:01:03

Who Can Challenge Dublin In 2019 - 2 Like(s)
for years i thought colm orourke was mad but now its there for all to see the only way to keep any intrest in gaelic football is to split in dublin in two at least

dickie10 (National) - 05/09/2018 12:20:06

Is Meath now becoming a hurling county? - 2 Like(s)
westmeath football is in div 4? surely westmeath hurlers are operating at a higher level and id count westmeath as more hurling than football.

on anoother point i havent heard anyone being excited b mcentee taking over, gerry isnt liked by hurling clubs after he said to burn all the hurleys, a good portion of these people would love to see him fail. dont see how we can be excited by meath football, our underage is record is terrible, no leinster minor since 2008 and no u-21 since 2001, where is the future there? were a mid table div 2 team and will be for years to come. throw money at hurling and see what happens thats my thinking

dickie10 (National) - 11/09/2016 20:44:57

Meath v Louth - 2 Like(s)
wouldnt be surprised if louth beat meath next sunday. louth are a long time waiting to meath, i think the 1970s . id say this year they will prob do it

dickie10 (National) - 25/05/2017 21:47:52

What Happens If New York Win? - 2 Like(s)
why is this game not on tv??

dickie10 (National) - 02/05/2018 21:08:26

Meath vs Antrim - 1 Like(s)
Have to say that i think the opinion peice on the hoganstand prob hit the nail in the head. leave the offical result as "unfinished", play a play off next spring to see who gets promoted. give antrim the cup for a few months too if they want or else GAA can have it back. we should all move on now and forget about it. It seems as though both Antrim and Meath dont want a replay so no point forcing either team. walk away and come back next April and play a play off game for promotion

dickie10 (National) - 08/06/2016 15:26:25

Meath Minor Footballers 2019 - 1 Like(s)
sure very few minors would be on those teams. if you were at that there would never be a club game played

dickie10 (Meath) - 06/05/2019 17:33:31

So It'S Clare - 1 Like(s)
we need to bring a huge meath support on sunday to portlaaoise which i think there will be. we really need to have a wall of green and gold and roar for the meath team to rattle clare. they wont be used to that at all, there not an ulster team, who could thrive in a partizan atmosphere. we need to get out and support the team big time. are many heads on here heading up behind the town end goal in portlaoise here meath fans traditionally gathered vs westmeath in 2002 and 03 and galway 2007? great atmosphere to get the team over the line in those games i think its required on sunday . if you were there then your presence is required at 2pm sunday again. COYBIG

dickie10 (Meath) - 03/07/2019 23:09:22

Why are so many strong Gaelic football counties in decline? - 1 Like(s)
anyone that says population growth is a negative for meath is talking bull crap. im a meath man and followed meath since 1990. crazy talk. up until the 1930s when meath began to grow in populationwe were one of the smallest populated counties in ireland. this was because there were a large number of landed estates ran and owned by protestant ascendancy, absentee landlords etc. there were thousands of acres of land tie up in these estates that ran for miles and miles of square miles. thus nobody lived on them. so outside of a few small towns and villages the countryside was empty. Arthur Young was an agricultural advisor from britain in the 19th century and he speaks of walking through meath at the time and saying he spent a full day walking through the countryside with out meeting one person. all he seen were thousands of cattle. the land commission was set up as much to break up these big estates in the 1920s and populate meath as it was used for taking excess overpopulation in the west aka congested districts board. once we started to gain the people from Mayo, Galway, Donegal in the 1930s the populatiion began to rise as did people staying in meath not having to emigrate because family farms were set up from the distibutiiion pf former landed estates. Even though we gained large numbers of people in the 30s it was the next generation of these people that began to play for meath in the 50s and 60s. Mattie Kerrigan, Mick Mellet were two i know of. in the 1970s and 80s we had Robbie Omalley, Com Orourke,mick and padraig lyons and thier cousin liam harnan, liam hayes. so it takes a generation or two to become meath fans and proper meath people. i know a lot of young lads who came to meath when they were 3 or 4 still support dublin but since being brought by clubs to meath games and begining to play for meath underage they now have a watery enough dublin intrest. once they represnt meath i think that changes there whole attitude. were in a great position as a county because unlike kildare we always are cocky maybe too much so at times but we do have a bit of an ego and have a swagger when we gain any bit of success. very much like galway and down. most meath teams no matter how bad they are in football always think they should beat most counties and always relish playing dublin. these are traits most counties would love to have.

dickie10 (National) - 29/01/2018 11:47:13

Kildalkey V Ratoath - 1 Like(s)
if the ref didnt see anything, how can they give suspensions at all then?

dickie10 (Meath) - 26/05/2019 21:23:42

Cavan In The Qualifiers/ Super 8S - 1 Like(s)
lads tyrone are there for the taking thats a very poor kildare team, i seen meath beat them in the laegue meath should have won by 6 or 7. tyrone were blssed to get out of navan last summer, i think cavan could turn them over.

dickie10 (Cavan) - 04/07/2019 00:51:51

A Tier 2 Championship For Football - Let's Give It A Go - 1 Like(s)
i think i have the bestt set up. league finishes in mid march, provincal champiomships start in april 6 weeks for each province to finish up all provincial finals played on june bank holiday weekend. make it a huge event. this shpould be a seperate competition completely just the way the fa cup is in england. maybe play dounle headers in croker on friday nights involving the likes of dublin, wicklow, louth , meath , kildare if neccesary or if weather conditions and pitchs are dodgy in april. absolutly no reason for provincal championships cant be wrapped up in 6 weeks. from say june 20th the championship starts . all 32 counties put into groups of 4 ,so 8 groups of 4 these could be seeded on league placings or open draw for some drama. top 2 teams go straight into last 16 of championship on knock out basis week after week til semi finals then maybe 2 week break and two weeks again for final. bottom two teams go into B all ireland /tommy murphy cup. and same set up. tommy murphy final on saturday evening before all ireland final in croker. group games played 1 home, 1 away and 1 neutral venue, id like to avoid croker for these. give provinal towns the benefit. example meath v cork in portlaoise, dublin v cavan in navan, kerry v laois in thurles etc. i think everyones a winner. id scrap pre league tournaments obyrne cup etc and start league mid january

dickie10 (National) - 29/04/2019 22:46:20

Bordering Counties Who Dont Have Much Of A Rivalry - 1 Like(s)
meath v offaly would be a friendly rivalry compared to meath v kildare, v w.meath or v dublin or louth. meath dont really take the rivalry with cavan seriously but i think cavan take it serious. most meath people wouldnt pass any remarks on cavan as opposed to any other county. meath have a friendly hurling rivalry with westmeath as the border area on both sides is predominantly hurling instead of football, so both counties in these areas would not have a huge amount of intrest in football. cavan border stretches down here in parts as well which prob waters down the football rivalry with cavan. i think thats why cavan and westmeath dont have much rivalry, the north westmeath area is nearly all hurling strongholds

dickie10 (National) - 30/12/2016 15:35:35

Bordering Counties Who Dont Have Much Of A Rivalry - 1 Like(s)
meaths most bitter rivalrys are with dublin and louth, even if you dont live near the border. the meath v westmeath rivalry would not be nearly as bitter, most meath fans wish westmeath well against dublin, while westmeath fans love to see meath beat dublin also. this has become very common since the celtic tiger, westmeath fans have become a bit like meath, anyone but dublin!

dickie10 (National) - 30/12/2016 15:38:22

Is Dublin dominance good for football? - 1 Like(s)
so their seems to be some element of truth in my theory that young families both from dublin and other rural areas of ireland will see meath and kildare and perhaps louth as a destination for suburban living in the near future? this is exactly what happended in the 1970s and 80s. the destinations then were as now, semi rural, sleepy villages and small town within a reasonable commute to dublin city centre, those rural villages then were castleknock, knocklyon,blanchardstown,swords,palmerstown,lucan, sandyforde, bray, tallaght and ballyboden and kilmacud. now its a semi circle in the radius that goes from Drogheda in the north down to Baltinglass in the south with every town and village within this now seen as commuter suburbia. i dont belive we will ever see towns outside this radius ever see much more pop growth, places in Laois,Offaly, Longford or cavan will prob see more youth depoppulation due to migration

dickie10 (National) - 31/08/2017 00:12:21

The Allianz FL Thread (Division 2, 3 & 4) - 1 Like(s)
it will be interesting to see how tipperary get on this week vs rosscommon. at the game last week both meath and roscommon fans were talking about the tipp win the previous evening. both fans agreed it would prob be their toughest game away in thurles. now for tipperary this is a bit worrying because both meath and rosscommon are both well alive and wary of tipperary being dangerous so will be well prepared for a tough game and see a win in thurles as a bit of a scalp. this puts pressure on tipp to perform in games where they are now installed as favourites with expectation on them. this is where tipperary need to perform and move on from catching teams on the hop. so be great to see how they cope.

dickie10 (National) - 01/02/2018 20:52:09

Is Leinster Football Dead And Buried? - 1 Like(s)

Replying To TheUsername:  "Now that the scores are in and the dust settles. Good to take stock of Leinster Football, two All Ireland Titles in Football now sit in Leinster. Meath wining a minor Leinster and Wicklow doing fantastically well. Longford and Carlow doing jobs on Meath and Kildare at Senior. Kildare making the quarterfinals at Senior and beating the All Ireland Finalists of the last two years on the way. Meath unluckily beaten by a controversial decision against the All Finalists. Laois getting to a Leinster final. A year of progress for the vast majority of teams the province i think all and all."
yes seems quite competitive if we take dublin out of the mix which is prob whats needed realistically now. maybe take dublin out and let them play the provoncial champions of ulster, munster and leinster and connacht on rotation at least it will let other provinces get a tanking every few years and not always have it inflicted on leinster counties. i can see teams begining to throw matches in leinster to avoid dublin. they will take there chances in qualifiers against lesser teams. im not really sure did meath go 100% to beat longford this year , i know that a lot of meath fans were actually quite happy not to be playing dublin the next game. meath ended up finishing there season in a lot more positve light than longford did

dickie10 (National) - 08/09/2018 14:34:05