UK Forum

Popular Posts from 222

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Sean Cavanagh- Greatest Player of Modern Era? - 3 Like(s)

Replying To GGdub:  "Hes a great player no denying that..but to suggest hes the greatest of the modern era..i dont think so.. diarmud connelly on form is the best player of the modern era ."
Connolly has rarely done well against the top team on the big days, has been ordinary in the 3 finals IMO

222 (National) - 23/07/2016 21:55:33

Division 1 - 2019 - 2 Like(s)
Look guys have been tried. It's 3 years since Monaghan won an u21, not much has came through from that team to this high level of chasing Dublin's tail. I ain't going to name players on a forum based on an amateur sport. Are u really suggesting some of the more lesson expierenced players would have won the games v Galway, rossies. Last may Dessie and vinnie were saluted after Monaghan beat Tyrone. MOR has such a small hand to pick from, he's relying on the same guys to stay at this level. Of course he's got it tactically wrong at times but he wants Monaghan to survive in division 1 and make the super eights. Yes blood new players but Monaghan will go straight to division 2 and fall away. People on this forum think Monaghan have the strength in depth, they don't. A lot of the talked about guys are not going to make at this high level.

222 (Monaghan) - 14/02/2019 10:05:11

Does GAA get fair coverage compared to soccer and rugby - 2 Like(s)
RTE is so outdated with its coverage of GAA in my opinion.

Their coverage of Rugby and soccer is much better, you have proper lengthily debates after games something THE sunday game DOSENT do. The coverage of euro 2016 was excellent, top pundits and a great highlights package.

222 (National) - 04/08/2016 16:22:28

Venue Antrim V Limerick - 2 Like(s)
No disrespect to any Anrtim posters on here but Corrigan Park was the worst Intercounty ground I have ever seen last night. How does it even meet the GAA's criteria. Surely there is more decent grounds in Antrim then this? Ballycastle no?

222 (National) - 27/06/2016 12:57:50

Championship 2019 - 2 Like(s)
Monaghan missed there big chance last August. Miles are on the clock, an average but hungrier Cavan team deserved it. As I said before, Monaghan don't have the caliber of players that people think to compete at the top top level. Would donegal or Tyrone have lost this evening? Doubtful. Good luck to Cavan. 5 years since Monaghan played in an ulster final. O Rourke brought great success but not consistent enough. Tyrone or donegal will win ulster at a canter.

222 (Monaghan) - 18/05/2019 20:45:10

Objects thrown at referee David Gough - 2 Like(s)
Lets be honest lads, he made a b***s of the mc menamin hit, id be upset to.

222 (National) - 28/08/2016 19:15:39

USFC - Fermanagh V Monaghan - 2 Like(s)

Replying To Shelbourne:  "When's the last time you posted anything positive about Monaghan....are you another Cavan man !"
The facts speak for themselves. All year this forum has been taken up by posters stating how of good of a panel Monaghan has and the talent coming through and the way the team is more attacking and direct. It counted for nothing two weeks ago. You can paint that Fermanagh result anyway you want but that was an embarrassing result for the 3rd time in 3 years. The mindset of some supporters on here is strange- seem to be content with a we run in the qualifiers and see where it takes the team. The Fermanagh game was just a bad day at the office rubbish. What this year was a great opportunity to win ulster the hard way. Back up the league campaign with silver ware- emulate what Monaghan did from 79-88. The super 8"s would of taken care of themselves. I believe that Monaghan do have the talent and some serious players. But they are being let down by management. The game two weeks ago was an ideal chance to mix things up. MOR new Gallagher had a great insight into Monaghan. Guys like Malone and Walsh had to start. That type of game suited them.Mc carthy needed to be in from the off. I'd even have started Neil mc Adam. For all his flaws that game would have suited him. I'd be hoping there will be a turn in the qualifiers where the team is freshened up.

222 (Monaghan) - 14/06/2018 08:35:53

Things in the GAA that make you Cringe - 1 Like(s)
Tommy Carr makes me cringe as does the praise of teams who get hammered in games by pundits.

222 (National) - 19/07/2016 16:29:51

Was the 00's the golden period for football. - 1 Like(s)
Some enthralling game from 00s in no particular order Kerry V Dublin 2007 Tyrone v Dublin 2005 Mayo V Dublin 2006 Tyrone V Armagh (All three games 2005) Kerry V Tyrone (Both finals 05, 08) Sligo v Armagh (2002) Monaghan v Kerry (2007, 2008) Armagh V Fermanagh 2004 Galway v Derry 2001 Tyrone V Kildare 2009 Dublin V kildare 2009 So many classics the august bank holiday used to be a brilliant weekend for football championship, this weekend we have 3 mis matches on the cards. Teams playing for moral victories with boring tactics. YAWN. The noughies was a brilliant era for the GAA championship, dont forget limerick came within a whisker of winning munster, sligo/rossies won connacht while leinster and ulster had some great games.

222 (National) - 25/07/2016 22:11:27

Monaghan V Donegal - 1 Like(s)
First and foremost congrats to Donegal 6 ulster finals in a row, that is some going. Some of the stuff they played last night was 2012 form. Sheer pace and movement and offloading was super, they over ran monaghan from their kickouts cleaned monaghan for breaks and had more method to their game. Games are won on small margins i.e mc brearty shot in clones last year. Mc Brearty outplayed walsh again, kieran hughes big let down for monaghan and beggan cant hit frees under pressure. Donegal will win Ulster IMO, for monaghan its a long road back and do or die battle with mayo down the line Im guessing.

222 (National) - 02/07/2016 23:29:16

More championship matches proposed - 1 Like(s)
The champions league is a brilliant competition once knock outs starts, more games for top teams against each other, not to mention revenue for citys involved. Hence why it has never been retained because of its magic. GAA needs balance to their championship, all teams on a level playing field. from the start to end.

222 (National) - 04/08/2016 16:14:51

Thanks Paul - 1 Like(s)
Sublime player down through the years. harshly treated my the management this year, deserved a run against Longford

222 (Monaghan) - 18/11/2016 15:47:17

Monaghan V Donegal - 1 Like(s)

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Donegal played exceptionally well in the first half against a strangely subdued Monaghan team & truth be told should have been out of sight by half time. In the second half they retreated into their shell a little & invited Monaghan on to them which I couldn't understand. If Monaghan had scored a goal from the Lacey turnover the final result could well have been different & we would be wondering how the hell we managed to lose the game. There is still a lot of work to do, discipline, free kicks etc but we are on the right track & I am looking forward to the final."
I disagree, the retreat was down to tiredness Im guessing, the running game Donegal played in first half was surely energy sapping to say the least but it was brilliant stuff to watch, best half of football I have seen in a long time

222 (National) - 03/07/2016 00:09:22

Monaghan In The Qualifiers! - 1 Like(s)

Replying To patk:  "Absolutely agree, the thing is we do have the talent in attack, and there are some great prospects coming through from the underage sides too. There just needs to be a change in style to get the best out of the attack."
I'll post a more honest reply when the dust settles. But currently the talent and attacking myth that is suggested on this page is laughable. The current attacking players on the panel havent delivered when the pressure comes on. Maybe bar galway last year. Nothing to dine with the big boys from u21 2016 team is there. They are either to small, light and slow. Could you really see anyone of those forwards bar mc manus who started yesterday shoot the lights in a big game. Not a hope, Malacy gave all the talked about players there chance yesterday, out of their depth folks. Plain and simple. Armagh and donegal are producing attacking players light years ahead of Monaghan. They are physically stronger, more athletic and clinical. Monaghan are well back in the pack now in Ulster, a barren spell is on the cards. Serious rebuilding job on the horizon

222 (Monaghan) - 23/06/2019 20:18:55

Malachy's Successor - 1 Like(s)

Replying To sporto:  "This will never be properly known I would say, even at club level some trainers and managers expenses are not known to those within the club or how exactly its paid for. It's quite obvious from the backroom team that money isn't an issue as all of those lads would be on significant expenses, especially the likes of Donnelly. Any word of a trainer coming in? I would have thought Martin McElkennon would be involved but didn't see his name mentioned yet."
Awh lads going back for mc elkennon He flogged lads into the ground to no avail Keeping him away is best

222 (Monaghan) - 05/09/2019 19:09:10

Championship 2017 - 1 Like(s)

Replying To Mike Patton:  "Also our first ever Championship match v Carlow That leaves only Roscommon, Sligo, Tipperary, Waterford, Mayo, Clare, Leitrim, Limerick (and I presume London and New York) left to play."
Played London in 2005

222 (Monaghan) - 10/07/2017 13:23:34

Dublin v Donegal - 1 Like(s)
Donegal outplayed dublin 2014, it was superb stuff and full credit to them. Yet dublin scored 17 points and missed two reasonable goal chances. They were naive in their defending but also in this game dublin cleaned donegal on kickouts. It took some wonderful donegal defence/stopping to break up the dublin kick out. Anyway the past is the past. Who do I fancy saturday? Dublin to win. Why? -Ciaran Kilkenny is back didnt play in 2014, usually worth 2-3 points and a real big asset for dublin. He was colossal in games v mayo/kerry last year -Dublin have a balance of defense and attack two years on which is very solid i.e cian o sullivan role. -Donegal panel is not as strong as dublins, mannion, andrews huge boost for dubs. - No Neil Gallagher who had a huge role in 2014 dismantling of dubs - I suspect the winning of this game for dublin will be counteracting mc hughs & mc brearty, I think Jim Gavin will do this - M Murphy hasnt played well for donegal in two seasons, apart from free kicks. If hes injured he shouldnt be playing. Donegal need him on song to have a chance, ATM he isnt. - Dublin have been waiting on this game, they have had 3 weeks to get right for it, 7 days for donegal, it took 3 weeks and a specialized training camp in 2014 for Jim Mc Guiness to beat dublin. All in all, I feel dublin have been waiting all season for august, they won leinster in 3rd gear, I really feel they will beat donegal by 3-6 points on saturday Should be a cracker

222 (National) - 03/08/2016 13:03:28

RTE V SKY - 1 Like(s)
RTE has become really poor IMO. First of all TOM Carr and Martin Carney are dreadful co-commentators. This needs to be addressed. The coverage of RTE before ulster final y day was again poor no pre match interviews, outdated stuff. Last night we had three pundits who kept agreeing with each other , kernan and dolan are poor. No mention of kildare in the mayo game analysis while westmeath were saluted for getting hammered. On top of this the ulster final teams were lambasted while galway played the exact same way in the connacht final. Sky is miles ahead as is BBC. The tyrone thing by RTE also needs to be addressed, sean cavanagh picking up the award was embarrassing.

222 (National) - 18/07/2016 17:20:12

USFC - Fermanagh V Monaghan - 1 Like(s)

Replying To Shelbourne:  "the power and glass of Galway & Kerry.........against rubbish !"
Sligo were division 3- same as Fermanagh Clare were division 2- higher then Fermanagh If anyone thinks Rory Gallagher and Fermanagh out witted Monaghan on Sunday- don't bother posting on this forum. Fermanagh were arguably worse then Monaghan couldn't score for 25 mins of second half. That result was embarrassing by Monaghan on Sunday. It took the full back to turn the screw nearly for Monaghan- says alot elsewhere on the field. I'll put the question to you- would Dublin, Kerry, Galway, Mayo or even Tyrone have lost that game on Sunday?

222 (Monaghan) - 06/06/2018 21:59:29

Round 4 Qualifier Opponents - 1 Like(s)
A good draw for Monaghan. Laois will be physcial but I'd expect Monaghan to have to much. Will be closer then last two games. Last team to beat Monaghan in the championship before Malachy took the reins was... Laois

222 (Monaghan) - 02/07/2018 14:06:47