UK Forum

All Britain JFC 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Didnt see a thread on this, could be the most open in years

mitchells birmingham v heston\ st anthonys
v
mitchells liverpool \brendans v st nicks?

dunedin\dundee v cuchullains newcastle \ benedicts
Herts winners - Glen Rovers?

team in bold at home

any thoughts

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 07/10/2013 13:09:45    1497041

Link

Can't see anyone beating Dundee from the bottom half of the draw. Not sure CuChulains are as strong as previous years, St Benedicts beat them in the league final and will probably fancy their chances of beating them again.

The top half of the draw is more open, would expect Heston to beat John Mitchel's of Birmingham and the Lancashire champions to beat St Nicks. John Mitchel's of Liverpool are obviously the most experienced side left at this stage, we'll see how the Lancashire final goes on Sunday.

TheWestIsAwake (UK) - Posts: 529 - 07/10/2013 13:58:09    1497079

Link

Heston - number of good english born lads mixed with experience of McGoldrick, Beausang and Hayden - a handful for any defence
Mitchells brum - all the talk is Garvey, is McKenna still around?

Mitchells Liverpool v Brendans, experience v youth winners of this should face heston but mitchells have home advantage in this, should be a good tussle at PNH

Dundee v Connollys could go either way,

Cu's newcastle showed their hand in the league recently by hammering benedicts and may not be as finished as some may think

i'll wait until after sunday for predictions for the AB, hard to believe its 17 yrs since brendans last won lancs, I played in that final when they defeated peters 6-5 at bedians

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 07/10/2013 14:36:41    1497124

Link

Wouldnt be so sure of that, Glen Rovers have bet Dundee already this season (It was in Dingle at the start of the year mind you) and they wouldnt be as strong as the other teams in the AB. Love it when the AB starts, lads be on here saying this or that team wont be beat without knowing a thing about the other clubs in the competition!

hawkeye82 (Kerry) - Posts: 202 - 07/10/2013 15:52:03    1497203

Link

I meant that I fancied Dunedin Connolly's to reach the final.

Don't think anyone is trying to be disrespectful Hawkeye, its just a prediction. I'd say there's a few people out there who know a fair bit about other clubs.

TheWestIsAwake (UK) - Posts: 529 - 07/10/2013 16:15:01    1497228

Link

It has been 17 long years UNI GAA, hard to believe at the time we would go so long without winning it.

Even though we've beaten them in the league final and championship already this year Mitchel's will be favourites, I'd say Mitchel's still have 7-8 lads from the side who played in Croke Park in 2009.

TheWestIsAwake (UK) - Posts: 529 - 07/10/2013 16:21:31    1497239

Link

Too early to judge whose gona win the all Britain. From what I hear there's no point taking part in the all Britain at all. The word is the two best teams are peters and Brendan's by far and the winner should come from that. Also Glen Rovers beat Dunedin Connolly's in Kerry not Dundee.
From what I hear Connolly's are in a bit of disarray this year and are there for the taking for Dundee.

IN_THRU (Donegal) - Posts: 20 - 07/10/2013 16:43:31    1497270

Link

my home club is 23 yrs without a senior crown

the rivalry in lancs with Peters and Brendans used to be immense and was the original lancs derby match(in my time) , but its good to see brendans competing again, and not with lancs born lads in the set up too, as you say the final will be a tough ask.

I would have said the London winners would have to be favourites on paper but as we all know that counts for nothing, lets see who is in the pot come sunday and predict after that

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 07/10/2013 16:47:23    1497276

Link

UniGaa what makes you say that Heston would be fav's to take the championship this years its been a long time since a london team has won it.

IN_THRU (Donegal) - Posts: 20 - 07/10/2013 17:17:21    1497304

Link

having seen most of st peters games last year and now being based in London, I am comparing year on year, I am only saying on paper but i have also said its the most open in a few years, not many teams in the competition have a full forward line of their quality

there was very little between either team in the london final if cu's had won i would have had them as favourites,

one thing for sure is there are some cracking games ahead

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 07/10/2013 17:26:40    1497314

Link

Overall the standard seems down from recent years. Really all Britain is there for the taking. St Peters favourites probably. Peters and Brendan's would have been a good final.

Dunedin seem all weaker than previous years, people writing off Cu chulainns too but I think there could a surprise with them. Football in the UK about hitting form at the right time.

If a few new players join a club it can change everything. Should be interesting anyway!

What's the dates for the games?

Mondaycentrebak (UK) - Posts: 1 - 07/10/2013 20:36:38    1497449

Link

UniGaa, Mitchels of Birmingham very ordinary team, with McKenna now gone they do not look so good. Garvey is an excellent player who can take scores, but only has the left peg. He is not to keen to get involved in a game which may involve a few hard hitting tackles. He was outplayed by a young lad from McDermotts on the day of the county final . They have one other dangerous forward Molloy, who does not stay in any position at all, likes to roam around the field. But if this Heston full forward line is as good as they say, then I would fancy them to win, Mitchels full back line has to be their weakest link on the team. Heston to win by 3 points.

limerickleader (UK) - Posts: 103 - 07/10/2013 20:53:31    1497460

Link

Heard that connolly's got hammered by cu chuallins in a challenge game a couple of weeks ago in Newcastle.

IN_THRU (Donegal) - Posts: 20 - 07/10/2013 20:58:28    1497466

Link

Well any predictions regarding the Lanc and the Scottish finals this Sunday. Whens the London playoff happening?? Any hope for the junier team in that playoff.

IN_THRU (Donegal) - Posts: 20 - 08/10/2013 13:39:20    1497756

Link

i will go for mitchells and dundee both by the minimum mitchells as they have the experience in the last few years, and dundee for another upset

london play off is this weekend

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 08/10/2013 13:50:58    1497762

Link

Hard to look past the winners of Lancashire again- they've traditionally been the best team at this level comfortably for the last few years. Cant see why that would change this year either.
Not sure why some posters are still referring to St Peters on here- they were hammered at the weekend by John Mitchels of Liverpool. They've not really featured in Lancashire this year. The best 3 teams this year have been St Brendans, John Mitchels and Oisins, who were all drawn in the same group for championship.
I think the younger legs on the ST Brendans team will see them home this weekend, and it would be a credit to the club as the majority of the team are Manchester born and bred. Their downfall could be they lack experience in comparison to John Mitchels, but they may have too many miles on the clock!!!
Can anyone tell us who was the last UK born player to win a championship in Lancashire? I don't remember too many in the last 10yrs when St Peter's, Oisins and John Mitchels have been the dominant teams??

Patrick, Paul and John (None) - Posts: 81 - 08/10/2013 16:49:42    1497954

Link

patrick paul and john - Liam Coyne in answer to the question of the last UK born player

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 08/10/2013 17:15:27    1497969

Link

Last year I presume- didn't see any football last year. Last I saw him play was in ST Anne's colours. He's now a ref is he?
And before him- this might be harder?

Patrick, Paul and John (None) - Posts: 81 - 08/10/2013 18:30:48    1498025

Link

Well if St Brendan's win on Sunday, and that's a big 'if' then they will have no fewer than 10 Manchester born players starting and another 5/6 in the squad.

It just goes to show you what you can achieve by investing time and effort into underage systems at clubs, perhaps St Lawrences and Oisins in a few years will benefit from there hard work at underage level.

hough_ender (UK) - Posts: 82 - 08/10/2013 19:19:28    1498063

Link

the 97 peters team on which i played and there were at least 4 on that team, the oisins team of 98 possibly, lawrences around that time also would have had a lot of manchester born

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 09/10/2013 09:22:25    1498225

Link