Tipperary Forum

Benny Dunne & Tommy Walsh AIF Incident

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I was watching the All Ireland Hurling Final again on TG4 over the Christmas and couldn't help but notice the tactics employed by Tommy Walsh before Benny Dunne's sending off. Under any high ball Walsh appeared to but the butt of his hurl into the helmet beside his opponent's ear. When Benny was sent off the strap of his helmet was actually clipped loose on the left side, not sure if Walsh was able to do this with his right hand? To me the top or butt of his hurl was always in a dangerous position when challenging for the high ball. I think this was not the first time the Walsh had done this during the game and Benny just lashed out. Kilkenny have been labelled a team that plays on the edge, is this more of it? Anyone in the Premier heard anything from the players on this?

Burrishoole (Mayo) - Posts: 320 - 12/01/2010 08:56:49    530583

Link

Everyone spotted this at the time. The tactic is to use the but of the hurley to push the helmet over an opponents eyes under the high ball so they can't see. In short it is cheating. In my opinion it should be a red card offence, especially with helmets compulsary from next year, it's interfering with safety equipment and Walsh wasn't the only KK player to do it.

However Dunne was way out of line. He clearly wasn't focused going in to the last ten minutes of the AI if he was riled so easily and it, rather then the penalty decision cost Tipp the game in my opinion.

roundball (Tipperary) - Posts: 2510 - 12/01/2010 11:02:01    530653

Link

Officials need to clamp down on this in 2010, any interference with the helmet should be a yellow card offence! I think the American NFL have a similar offence for interference with the helmets in American Football.

Burrishoole (Mayo) - Posts: 320 - 12/01/2010 12:16:49    530717

Link

ya walsh tipped the helmet alright an old trick my grandmother from tullaron(where tommy is from) told me about when i was like 7.it needs to be cut out of the game but its so hard to spot.maybe if they mentioned it after the match to see what happens

bigman2 (Tipperary) - Posts: 1202 - 12/01/2010 15:57:10    530998

Link

Burrishoole
County: Mayo

530717 Officials need to clamp down on this in 2010, any interference with the helmet should be a yellow card offence!

Should be red. How's hurling out west these days anyway? Are Pete Finnerty and Martin Brennan(was that his name? He's a Westport man I think) involved again for 2010?

roundball (Tipperary) - Posts: 2510 - 12/01/2010 16:14:21    531023

Link

Yea it looks like the're both involved again this year. Problem is football is such a draw for the good players, they think they are going to win the All-Ireland every year, 59 and counting since 1951. No real competition for hurling in Tipperary. Galway the same, North is football & South is hurling. Mayo hurling will always be one step forward two steps back unfortunately!

Burrishoole (Mayo) - Posts: 320 - 12/01/2010 16:34:06    531068

Link

lads ye might be right but let it go....2010 is wat we should be lookin at

lowerormond (Tipperary) - Posts: 1267 - 12/01/2010 18:16:58    531266

Link

Burrishoole

531068 Yea it looks like the're both involved again this year. Problem is football is such a draw for the good players, they think they are going to win the All-Ireland every year, 59 and counting since 1951. No real competition for hurling in Tipperary. Galway the same, North is football & South is hurling. Mayo hurling will always be one step forward two steps back unfortunately!

Yeah there is pockets of it though isn't there. Ballyhaunis and Toreen. Keith Higgins isn't a bad player, scored the winning goal in the Railway Cup Final a few years ago only for it to be wrongly disallowed I think. Burrishoole, is that the club in Newport no?
I wouldn't be so negative about your footballers though. Would have beaten Meath if ye hadn't lost your entire full foward line to injury during the game.

roundball (Tipperary) - Posts: 2510 - 12/01/2010 21:23:08    531534

Link

Yea Burrishoole is the club of Newport & Mulranny, Colm MacManamon is our most famous county player to date. Some of the local lads including myself play our club hurling in Westport. As regards the County footballers they need more steel and aggression to win Sam. As an exiled Galway man I hear Joe Kearnan is really steeling the Galway footballers. They have two 3 1/2 hour training sessions twice a week, weights for an hour, pushing & pullling exercises outside with tractor tyres etc. Back in to eat, protein is the big thing, and back out for some running! They meet a nutrionalist at weekends to check diet and protein counts! Sounds like training for the WWE and not the FBD League. At least hurling is primarily based on speed & skill, not just brawn like football is becoming. Sorry, rant over, time to give this forum back to the Tipp contingent!

Burrishoole (Mayo) - Posts: 320 - 13/01/2010 08:55:24    531600

Link

Burrishoole

we need counties like mayo,roscommon ,kerry and meath back as strong hurling counties to make amore competitive mcCarthy cup!!

lowerormond (Tipperary) - Posts: 1267 - 13/01/2010 18:11:59    532226

Link

Burrishoole

531600 Yea Burrishoole is the club of Newport & Mulranny, Colm MacManamon is our most famous county player to date. Some of the local lads including myself play our club hurling in Westport. As regards the County footballers they need more steel and aggression to win Sam. As an exiled Galway man I hear Joe Kearnan is really steeling the Galway footballers. They have two 3 1/2 hour training sessions twice a week, weights for an hour, pushing & pullling exercises outside with tractor tyres etc. Back in to eat, protein is the big thing, and back out for some running! They meet a nutrionalist at weekends to check diet and protein counts! Sounds like training for the WWE and not the FBD League. At least hurling is primarily based on speed & skill, not just brawn like football is becoming. Sorry, rant over, time to give this forum back to the Tipp contingent!

Ah hang around sure! I wouldn't be so sure about those 3 and half hour sessions. I know that Mike McGurn who has worked with the Irish Rugby team and Bernard Dunne and is now in Armagh said his training sessions are basically in the gym for 40 min- 1 hour, rip the place to bits and leave. I still think that Mayo will have the edge over Galway this year, especially with the game in Castlebar.

roundball (Tipperary) - Posts: 2510 - 13/01/2010 19:01:18    532259

Link

Hi roundball, heard about the training from a fellow who's brother is on the Galway panel. Big Joe almost let the cat out of the bag last night on the Six-One news when he said that the lads had been traing for weeks, on their own he was keen to point out. As for Mayo winning in Castlebar, Galway tend to beat them there and Mayo tend to win in Pearse Stadium. Has been this way for the past few years at least. Enough said.

Burrishoole (Mayo) - Posts: 320 - 14/01/2010 12:29:40    532677

Link

Burrishoole

532677 Hi roundball, heard about the training from a fellow who's brother is on the Galway panel. Big Joe almost let the cat out of the bag last night on the Six-One news when he said that the lads had been traing for weeks, on their own he was keen to point out. As for Mayo winning in Castlebar, Galway tend to beat them there and Mayo tend to win in Pearse Stadium. Has been this way for the past few years at least. Enough said.

Been like that for the last two years but before that Mayo hadn't won away since 99 in Tuam and Galway since 98 in Catlebar I think. Mayo-Galway games always great to watch, both play "open" football (hate that expression) but there is no lack in physicality either. Connacht Final one of the most underrated games in the GAA calendar, when Mayo and Galway play.

roundball (Tipperary) - Posts: 2510 - 14/01/2010 18:11:19    533178

Link

Lads will ye lave it so, sure didn't O' Sullivan do it to Martin Comerford one year for the whole game, kept opening the straps, even if Tommy was doing that there's absolutely no excuse for someone to pull on someones head like that, absolute disgrace. Tommy and Benny both got sent off in the League a year or two ago and the fight continued as they left the field, i think you'll find that was more to do with the pull the the helmet interfering, the two guys don't like each other.

Faithfull (Offaly) - Posts: 573 - 21/01/2010 14:52:39    538959

Link

Tommy and Benny both got sent off in the League a year or two ago and the fight continued as they left the field, i think you'll find that was more to do with the pull the the helmet interfering, the two guys don't like each other.

Grudges carried over from league games shouldn't matter in the last ten mins. Anyway most fo this thread is me and Burrishoole discussing Mayo hurling, so don't worry we're over it.

roundball (Tipperary) - Posts: 2510 - 21/01/2010 20:29:35    539436

Link

Faithfull
County: Offaly

were over it dont worry about us lad!!

lowerormond (Tipperary) - Posts: 1267 - 21/01/2010 21:49:34    539566

Link

lowerormond if tipp people are over it why does it keep croppeing up ?

jailhouse.usa (Galway) - Posts: 1155 - 31/01/2010 12:25:42    547271

Link

jailhouse.usa
County: Galway

if ya actually see this thread was started by a mayo man...personaly im over it..cant wait for the new season

lowerormond (Tipperary) - Posts: 1267 - 31/01/2010 14:53:37    547382

Link

just dont comment on it then lowerormond sounds like it still hurts a wee bit just a wee bit

jailhouse.usa (Galway) - Posts: 1155 - 07/02/2010 20:38:54    554437

Link

Bit Hippocritical comming from a galway man, the Keady incident still hurts ye from 1989..... People in glass houses and all that!!!

Hag_and_Cheese (Tipperary) - Posts: 6103 - 08/02/2010 15:58:47    555198

Link