Sligo Forum

NFL 2013 Div3

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Sligo results last week: Minor: Galway 1-12, Sligo 0-4. U-21: Galway 1-20, Sligo 0-7. Senior: Fernanagh 0-15, Sligo 0-9. This is an aggregate defeat of 33 points. If we don't sort out underage football quickly, then this trend is set to continue for some time.

SligoCody (Sligo) - Posts: 71 - 26/03/2013 15:17:20    1356716

Link

I think that is a bit harsh If he got dropped for a game or two maybe, look at the Dublin player and he started the following Sunday.

harps2588 (Sligo) - Posts: 78 - 26/03/2013 15:40:28    1356740

Link

Good point SligoCody and excellent post by ctevez.
The county board needs a complete overhaul pronto to revamp the underage structures. The standard of club football in the county is pathetic.
I do not have any sympathy for Coen. Pride in the jersey should be enough to deter any player from foolish misdemeanours.

Garavogue (Sligo) - Posts: 95 - 26/03/2013 16:01:53    1356761

Link

The answer lies with developing teams rather than bringing back O Hara and co. Legends they might have been in the past, but the future has to have their own legends.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2753 - 26/03/2013 16:15:55    1356777

Link

This was mistakenly posted under another thread >> Sligo football is currently at its lowest ebb in almost a decade. On the cusp of a return to Division 4 football (where it will be an absolute dogfight to get out of and it can take years), our U-21s hammered by Galway and our Minors not looking like they will fare much better this year. Sligo Rovers and Sligo Rugby Club are doing brilliant work at underage and promoting their games with brilliant committees and structures in place which is leading both codes to success (Premier League titles and maintaining AIL Division 2B status). Where does this leave Sligo GAA? Since the early 2000s, all of the County Boards focus has been put into the Sligo Senior Team and this is getting worse under the current County Executive. It is Tuesday today with still no full Club Fixtures up on the Sligo GAA Website (No times or days fixed!) and it is the Easter Bank Holiday weekend where the grassroots of the GAA would like to plan a night or two away with wives, girlfriends etc. But how can this happen with no fixtures up? Absolute joke. Nearly in April and no Club Championship Draws made. Joke. Players getting included in County Senior Panels when the management didnt even know that the player in question was still a Minor. County U-21 manager doesn't even start him or another Senior panellist on the team for Championship last week. Player in question brought on as a sub against Fermanagh last weekend. Joke. The bottom line in Sligo GAA is that the players aren't coming through, there is nothing there. However, this problem is augmented by a factor of 10 by farcical Committees, politics filled Management teams and individual agendas at County Board level. Sligo will be lucky to get over London this year. Might have a sneaky bet on the Exiles. Sligo can forget about GAA until such a time as Club Football in the County is put first again and all of the County's resources are re-directed towards underage coaching.

ctevez (Sligo) - Posts: 29 - 26/03/2013 16:34:54    1356801

Link

26/03/2013 15:17:20
SligoCody
County: Sligo

Sligo results last week: Minor: Galway 1-12, Sligo 0-4. U-21: Galway 1-20, Sligo 0-7. Senior: Fernanagh 0-15, Sligo 0-9. This is an aggregate defeat of 33 points. If we don't sort out underage football quickly, then this trend is set to continue for some time.

Sligo are doing some good work at schools level Summerhill have been fairly strong at A level the last few years while Tubbercurry have won the last two Connacht B titles and they have All Ireland semi final this weekend. U21s should been doing better than they are i think they seniors should have got rid of Kevin Walsh two years ago.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2509 - 26/03/2013 17:40:59    1356877

Link

We are still in the hunt to stay up, we just need to beet Wicklow and hope Monaghan do us a favour. Antrim 0-11 Meath 1-19

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 298 - 31/03/2013 14:55:40    1359095

Link

Was always more likely that Antrim would relegated.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2411 - 31/03/2013 18:53:58    1359206

Link

Always more likely that Antrim would get relegated? Antrim might well go down but its by no means a dead cert yet, and with the way Sligo are playing Wicklow could well beat us. Monaghan are safe and with Antrim looking to seal Div3 football next year this will go right to the wire. It really amazes my how were always relying on other teams to save us. Sligo need to forget about the championship and connacht for a few years and work on their league position. Playing div3 and 4 football year in year out will pretty much decide how the championship goes. They might catch a big team on the hop every now and then but it does nothing to the develop the standard of football. Sligo need to be in div2 if the have any aspirations of doing anything in the championship. But can't see that happening anytime soon. If Sligo manage to stay up it's only a matter of time before they'll be back in div4.

HotFuzz (Sligo) - Posts: 68 - 31/03/2013 19:49:29    1359235

Link

Antrim weren't going to beat two sides on the verge of div 2 football (Meath,Monaghan) even a draw against wicklow at home will be enough but lets be honest a Sligo win looks the most likely outcome.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2411 - 31/03/2013 21:07:22    1359273

Link

The fact Wicklow are already relegated and Monaghan are well placed to win the division and get promotion if they beat Antrim will all go in Sligo's favour but nothing is a certainty the way Sligo have been playing of late. The Wicklow match will be a dog fight and we need to win this match and stay in division 3 and hope it will bring a bit of confidence into the team for the Championship. As i said before if we don't start preforming soon we could be in for one of the most humiliating defeats the County has ever had in Ruislip and Sligo football will be in the doldrums for a long time

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 298 - 01/04/2013 13:40:17    1359379

Link

We're not relegated for sure yet lads .. Unlikely we stay up , if we win by say 6-7 points v Sligo and Monaghan repeat the Meath 11 point defeat in Clones of Antrim - then Sligo and Antrim go down..

No one giving us a snowballs .. But you never know

Square_Ball_15 (Wicklow) - Posts: 2662 - 01/04/2013 15:36:31    1359424

Link

April Fools Day over. Wicklow and Antrim to go down.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2753 - 02/04/2013 08:11:05    1359623

Link

I will be there on Sunday but not too confident. Last two games have veered from excellent to disaster. The cause may not have been helped by a few of the panel playing for their clubs at the weekend. I believe they should have all played with their clubs but once the rule was agreed it was not good when some decided to jump ship( though if I was in that position I think I would have played ). Hopefully they can put it aside on Sunday and Monaghan can do us a favour.

We have gone to Aughrim and won so let no one think this is a done deal.

County board meeting tonight, when is that carnival going to get sorted (and I am talking about both sides of this fight, they need to leave their egos at home and work together, but no chance I would say)

overinthewest (Sligo) - Posts: 119 - 02/04/2013 15:49:17    1359847

Link

To think had we defeated Meath, Roscommon and Cavan all games we kicked or threw away we'd be looking at promotion possibilities this weekend...How a bad spell in a game can make a mess of things. Either the team or Walsh has a problem with finishing off a done thing. It's been seen throughout his tenure as manager. Against Galway in Salthill in 2010, the Rossie Connacht Final loss even the win against Antrim this year looked in doubt after building up such a strong lead at half time. Perhaps a shrink is needed!

bunnies (Sligo) - Posts: 28 - 03/04/2013 16:16:07    1360359

Link

bunnies
County: Sligo

2011 first round of the league v Donegal 9 points up and were lucky to end up with a draw

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 298 - 03/04/2013 18:26:29    1360452

Link

Well done to Sligo today, poor game of football but a win all the same and we remain in division 3. Hopefully we can regroup in the next few weeks and put a very poor league performance behind us and make a Connacht final.

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 298 - 07/04/2013 17:06:07    1362320

Link

Poor game as Benbulben said.
Positives - Donovan, Cawley, McIntyre, Curran Kilcullen at midfield, Hughes, Marren and Murphy
Negatives - Harrison, Sweeney

In the positives Kilcullen in the second half took over at midfield for a 10 min spell which along with Murphy coming on (who played v well) changed the game in Sligo favour. Half back line good throughout and I would have McIntyre before Quinn in London. Marren had not a great day by his standards but is aa great presence in there. Charlie had a very poor game. I know it was Earls who he was marking but still he was behind for all balls but more important, he lost a few balls which we were not punished for with too much handpassing. Greene varied the kickouts well. Once Sweeney went off, MMarren and Murphy were flying.
Most worrying for me was the ease the Wicklow half backs were able to carry ball into our half.

The shackles are off now and div3 assured but I am worried about London who were unlucky to lose to London yesterday. There is always a sense of trepidation when you head to Ruislip or NY but this is the most worried I have felt since the late 80s on this.

Keep working lads and I hope management allow the lads play for their clubs and give some of the new lads more of a chance (good to see Cryan (though his man was a serious threat) and Kelly there yesterday)

overinthewest (Sligo) - Posts: 119 - 08/04/2013 11:24:28    1362934

Link

Good honest report overinthewest and i agree 100% with your match report and your comments. Taylor done well when he came on as offers more than Eugene, eugene is the man for the big midfielder.

Lets kick on for London, will be a tough game but hopefully we will be able to get out of there with a win. Would settle for an injury time winner.

sligodomain (Sligo) - Posts: 88 - 10/04/2013 11:22:57    1364632

Link

Great to survive but a lol of work to be done .The only certain players of playing in London in my opinion are.......

1 Greene
2 Harrison
3Martin
4Donovan
6Mc Intyre
7Curran
2Kilcullen
10Breheny
12Mc Manus
13Murphy
14Hughes
15Marren

I dont think Mc manus is a forward but management have persisted in playing him there. Murphy may not make it either as he was unable to nail down a spot in the league

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 643 - 10/04/2013 12:24:44    1364697

Link