Sligo Forum

NFL 2013 Div3

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Looks like it is between Roscommon, Wicklow and Sligo for relegation. A couple of 4 pointers comin up

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2753 - 10/03/2013 17:38:50    1346396

Link

We will be very lucky if we stay in div3 this year. With two tough away games coming up I see it impossible for us to pick up points here the way we are playing and that leaves us on 3 points with Wicklow our last home game and possibly already relegated. If the Rossies beat Antrim next weekend this is how i see it panning out. That leaves zero confidence coming into the championship. Tough times ahead for supporters of Sligo football.

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 298 - 10/03/2013 18:16:34    1346428

Link

Another woefull result today.... Not good....

YeatsWoman (Sligo) - Posts: 47 - 10/03/2013 19:16:59    1346493

Link

Ah come on lads I am very disappointed with the way things are going. Ye can do better. Where is it all going wrong? I was gutted that the Cavan match could not be won at home after building up a good lead.

Isle of Innisfree (None) - Posts: 68 - 12/03/2013 13:25:03    1347980

Link

while the end result last week was far from satisfactory i have to say there has been a huge improvement over the course of the league. take the roscommon game for example, we where all over the place no direction and we passed the ball backwards more times than the irish rugby team! each game we have shown a little improvement and new changes have looked promising.

kilcullen is a big addition to midfield and has steadied things in that area. the one thing welsh has to look at know is who to partner him with and where to play McManus? wing forward is not the option because the lad looks totally lost out on the wing and is not mobile enough to keep with a modern day wing back! centre forward is an option or 3rd midfielder coming from corner forward!!

our backline is looking stronger each outing ewing was missed the last day though, while im not his biggest fan he has probably been our most consistent performer this year.

our forward line is the big big issue! we have ado who is keeping us in game after game but there seems to be little or nothing eles! hughes is an excellent target man and we are finally actually starting to hit the ball diagonally into him and it really worked the last day! that is a plan that can reap huge rewards if we can start to execute it on a regular basis!

but what other forwards do we have?

murphy id like to see more of, but who eles is out there to actually put scores on the board? we cant relay on ado to win us every game he needs some help!

rich dublin (None) - Posts: 425 - 13/03/2013 10:08:57    1348533

Link

Believe me lads, all in not lost. You have every chance of beating us on Saturday if Meath play anything like they did against Cavan, by all accounts they were lucky enough to beat Roscommon also.

AthboyGael (Meath) - Posts: 75 - 14/03/2013 13:20:28    1349391

Link

Yea Meath were lucky to beat Wicklow and Roscommon. Talking of playing down their chances. Sorry I am not buying into it. Meath will be favourites this weekend.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2753 - 14/03/2013 14:26:52    1349453

Link

Going on displays so fra, I'd give Meath 50/50 to win against Sligo who seem to be improving. Meath beat an incredibly poor Wicklow side, that you have play yet, and were flattered to say the least by the win over Roscommon.

moylagh (Meath) - Posts: 451 - 15/03/2013 14:21:53    1350006

Link

With the lack of activity on this site a long held opinion of mine seems to be confirmed ie; that GAA is now the second sport in Sligo.This is sad as Sligo has given great service to the GAA since its foundation.However in this age of ''facetube and whatever your having yourself '' I expect that most transient followers will only follow a successful team and this is now happening Sligo.How else can one explain that this forum has to date only had 12000 views and its equivalent in Leitrim has attracted over 50000 views--speaks for itself I'd say.But back to the current plight of the Sligo Senior team and its alarming descent.It reminds me of the King and the no clothes story.Going back over posts that have advocated certain players for certain positions etc etc well at this stage every one has had their favourite selection tried out and the end result is the same.But very few will call it as it really is :Sligo football is riddled with politics and certain players stay on the team regardless of how they play while others get 15 mins to produce the goods or their gone.This is not a recent phenomenon but I had hoped that Kevin Walsh would have but an end to it;sadly not.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 205 - 19/03/2013 20:47:32    1352347

Link

The current plight of Sligo football is evident in the fact that Sligo are on the way to D4 of the league. With the U-21s beaten well by Galway the other day, it is hard to see where Sligo will go from here. The rebuilding exercise will be difficult and it will be hard to see them returning to D3 for a while.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2753 - 20/03/2013 08:10:33    1352406

Link

Sligo GAA's heartbeat is beating very slowly at the minute but it will never die. Your county needs you, get out and support the team, the players are putting in huge effort, just need to keep up the intensity second half. We were good enough to go 9pts up to Meath, we can stay up. Sligeach Abu.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1487 - 20/03/2013 10:23:57    1352460

Link

Sligonian welcome back! I agree with you that the lads are working extremely hard but think the management need to step it up. When you can dominate a game and be ahead by nine obviously a team is going to come back. At this point we need quick decisive decisions from the men on the line to tighten things up. Was at the game in navan and it wa awful to watch us crumble like that. You can train 5/6 times a week but at the end of the day if you can't finish a game with an advantage of that margin you might aswel not show up in ruislip. Even if we do come out of ruislip we'll struggle in carrick with the league performances. A bleak summer looms. We need an overhaul fast.

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 256 - 20/03/2013 15:54:32    1352814

Link

20/03/2013 08:10:33
Jack L
County: All

Sligo are on the way to D4 of the league. With the U-21s beaten well by Galway the other day, it is hard to see where Sligo will go from here. The rebuilding exercise will be difficult and it will be hard to see them returning to D3 for a while.

Unless we get a few shock results it will be Antrim,Wicklow on the way to D4 and win for Sligo v Wicklow at home should keep them up.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2408 - 23/03/2013 14:45:33    1354597

Link

Good luck to Sligo today. Really need a result

YeatsWoman (Sligo) - Posts: 47 - 24/03/2013 08:26:17    1354934

Link

With one round to go, beat Wicklow (already relegated) and survival guaranteed for another season.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2753 - 25/03/2013 10:07:57    1355639

Link

If we win one game out of 2 then Sligo are relegated regardless of whether you beat Wicklow.

brendanantrim (Antrim) - Posts: 37 - 25/03/2013 10:38:52    1355664

Link

Don't Antrim have to lose both there last 2 games ..???

castlefeth (Sligo) - Posts: 79 - 25/03/2013 18:19:02    1356166

Link

If Antrim win any of there next two games Sligo go down to div4. If Antrim get a draw and a loss out of any of their games and end up on the same points as Sligo, we stay up on the head to head rule. That is of course if we beat Wicklow which is no certainty the way we are playing. Meath will have a tough job beating Antrim up there I think and if this happens that Antrim win we are goin down regardless of the Wicklow result

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 298 - 25/03/2013 19:56:16    1356254

Link

It has gone beyond a joke know at this stage, I would say Walsh is regretting not having O hara and Coen in the squad now. Even if O hara is at the end of his career he would be valuable coming off the bench because we have no one at all to come of the bench and for Coen he should be starting along side Marren inside, none of the young boys have showed me anything yet and they have got chances and people are saying give them time well in my opinion they have got time and I am going to be honest they are just not good enough plane and simple, without brehany and Marren our next best scorer is Coen and Walsh its about time you asked these boys back. Coen had a disciplinary reason and I heard what the reason was for and It was a disgrace that he was let go for that reason. Looking at the squad the last day I think there was only 20 togged the rest had injuries I think it says it all. I am also forgetting about Johnny Davey, I would regard him as one of the best wing backs in the country never mind the county. I see he is back playing with his club. Yes I am being very negative but I have been going to Sligo matches the last 30 years I think I have a right to my opinion, I pay my good hard earned money to travel all around Ireland and to New York last year and I will be in London this year.

harps2588 (Sligo) - Posts: 78 - 26/03/2013 13:51:54    1356631

Link

Johnny Davey left the squad on his own grounds this year. With the coen matter, everyone knows its not the first time he let his team mates down on disciplinary grounds. You can't have different rules for different players. Coen will have to learn.

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 256 - 26/03/2013 14:36:15    1356675

Link