Sligo Forum

Sligo v Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Look whos being proven right so far...yup,thats right...me

Take_em_off (Mayo) - Posts: 212 - 28/07/2012 19:00:45    1231482

Link

Incredibly embarrassing. Doesn't say much for the state of Connacht football. All the qualifiers will be praying they get Mayo in the quarter finals.

turnandshoot (Donegal) - Posts: 446 - 28/07/2012 19:49:47    1231541

Link

Thats a terrible performance - what were management at? Why weren't changes made sooner? Connacht football is hopeless.

Cbar (Mayo) - Posts: 173 - 28/07/2012 19:51:54    1231544

Link

hard luck lads weather didnt help

lillymadfan (Kildare) - Posts: 1085 - 28/07/2012 20:03:27    1231561

Link

Kevin Walsh and his team should apologise to the supporters that travelled and paid money to watch that petulant display. An under 10 team would show more pride in their jersey.

turnandshoot (Donegal) - Posts: 446 - 28/07/2012 20:16:10    1231581

Link

To score 4 points in 70+ mins is a disgrace.. Sligo footballers should be ashamed of themselves..

lifebuoy (Cavan) - Posts: 628 - 28/07/2012 20:27:00    1231599

Link

kiloughter
County: Galway

take_em_off you would think you were world beaters yourselves. Ye got over the line with very average forwards and reality is if Sligo had played the angled ball to Kelly and Marren like they did against us (they booted i counted 6 high balls into your fullback line in the 1st 20 mins alone) they would have won. But of course could have should have is immaterial now. That goal in the Connacht final was not a perfectly good goal as the pass to Moran was between a throw ball and a palm pass. It has to be fully on the fist. We may have been poor this year but a bit unjust to Sligo as reading the post it was down to good Sligo play that beat us not because we as you say we are a 'bad bad side'. While we have problems adapting to mass defence systems etc Galway will rise again but knowledgeable Galway fans know this will take time. And we won't do it playing our traditional natural free flowing game. Everyone bar Meath and Down have resorted to building from the back with guys behind the ball and fouling beyong the 45 or 50 to keep frees from the natural scoring zone. Ye Donegal, Kildare etc have perfected this and hats off if that is the way the game is gone. In hurling natural talent will always win out but in football as the guy does more of the work than the ball a good system with average players might win an all-ireland. I hope Sligo play teh angled balls into Kelly and Marren who were the two most natural ball players in teh Connqacht final and deserve to be playing at teh business end of the championship.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No it doesn't, get your facts right.

turnandshoot
County: Donegal

Incredibly embarrassing. Doesn't say much for the state of Connacht football. All the qualifiers will be praying they get Mayo in the quarter finals.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were all praying for Mayo last year as well!!!

killer_88_ (Mayo) - Posts: 2040 - 28/07/2012 20:27:27    1231601

Link

killer_88_

Don't kid yourself. All the qualifiers will be hoping they play Mayo in the quarter finals.

turnandshoot (Donegal) - Posts: 446 - 28/07/2012 20:35:06    1231609

Link

It's hard to put that performance into words. F*** me to score 3 points (because one of then wasn't a point) in a game of football is an utter embarrassment. I think it's p45 time for walsh if that's how you prepare for a game! The prize is a Q final and they play like that..... Enough said

HotFuzz (Sligo) - Posts: 68 - 28/07/2012 21:00:15    1231708

Link

Sligo set themselves up in both halfs as if the wind was blowing the other direction.

Bunch (Sligo) - Posts: 37 - 29/07/2012 12:17:31    1232096

Link

Hard luck Sligo - just didn't happen for ye on the day.

turnandshoot
County: Donegal
All the qualifiers will be hoping they play Mayo in the quarter finals.

Yes of course they were, the same every year we are in the quarters...does not always work out for them though does it. it puzzles me why a Donegal man feels the need to come on the sligo board and say such a comment......nobody wanted donegal - does that make ye fell better? I think kerry will bate ye if im honest but I hope ye can do it.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10175 - 29/07/2012 12:58:43    1232161

Link

Bitterly disappointing display from Sligo yesterday. Cannot remember as bad a performance from us, especially the second half. For a brief period towards the end of the first half, we began to pick up some ball around midfield and upped the intensity to close the gap to five at the break, and it looked as though we could trouble Kildare in the second half. Its no secret why we succeeded at the end of the first half, we won ball around midfield. In the second half, our midfield couldnt have won more than 5 or 6 kickouts. We were non existant. In my opinion, we need to find some big, physical men with a bit of football in them for around the middle, Pat Hughes perhaps. Have to say I dont think any of Sligo's 3 midfielders, Taylor, Mullen or McManus, can cut it at this level. But the lads put in a huge effort, and that has to be commended, 2013 awaits. Sligeach abu.

johnny2222 (Sligo) - Posts: 12 - 29/07/2012 13:21:35    1232198

Link

Was at the terrible game yesterday the tactics used by Walsh was almost as bad as Des Newton. 1st half against the wind Sligo keeper was told to kick it long even though all were held up in the wind allowing Kildare to gain easy possession. 2nd half with the wind Sligo chose to kick it short hand pass it up the field into tackles.

It was awful viewing from a Sligo perspective. Kildare were nothing great they scored 0-6 after 15 minutes for the rest of the game they only managed 0-7 with about 70% of the ball from that viewing i can't see them beating Cork.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2695 - 29/07/2012 15:44:32    1232443

Link

Connacht football is at a really low ebb , it's up to Mayo now to try and put a bit of respectability on it.

Can't work out why Sligo were so disjointed yesterday, maybe (i hope not) it's a case of Mayo are not much better but i was really impressed with Sligo in the CF.

Is it a case of Sligo were alll fired up for Mayo and just couldn't reignite that flame again for this game?

51longago (Mayo) - Posts: 2981 - 29/07/2012 16:31:19    1232484

Link

At the moment Mayo are the only Div 1 team in Connacht their back to back Connacht titles were two narrow wins over two Div 3 sides and their only notable win in the championship over the last 5 years was v Cork last year and most Cork,neutral fans said they were caught on the hop.

Connacht football is in a bad place maybe the underage talent coming through will make it better.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2488 - 29/07/2012 17:08:34    1232547

Link

Killer_88_ splitting hairs if because my description was slightly off but bottom line it was not a legitimate goal and a good call. I will admit that other similar handpasses may get let go but if you want to stamp the throw/palm type pass it is good to see some refs getting it right.
Take_em_off while we were beaten by Sligo and deservedly so 'hammered' to me is way off if one looks at the game. Result is what it may but unlike some teams over the years Galway do not throw in the towel and actually when Sligo got a run on us it came so late there was little time to respond. The 2nd goal came in the last few mins and the game was in the melting pot until then. Ye are the market leaders in Connacht at the momnet but football in the province has been on the slide at senior level for a few years now. Worrying times so i hope ye can alter this trend.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1688 - 29/07/2012 17:51:08    1232607

Link

Gaa_lover
County: USA

At the moment Mayo are the only Div 1 team in Connacht their back to back Connacht titles were two narrow wins over two Div 3 sides and their only notable win in the championship over the last 5 years was v Cork last year and most Cork,neutral fans said they were caught on the hop.

What a load of scutter , selective statistics by you once again to suit.

Mayo are under new management since 2011, we are doing really well, what happened in the four years previous to that is totally irrelevant to this present set up , yet you bring in the " 5 year equation" into it.

Get over yourself man and your god damn bitterness towards a proud gaelic footballing county.

51longago (Mayo) - Posts: 2981 - 29/07/2012 19:33:13    1232756

Link

Very disappointing. I really an tired of the same old same old. Break your heart.

Isle of Innisfree (None) - Posts: 68 - 29/07/2012 20:12:38    1232828

Link

51longago nothing bitter or untrue just stating facts clearly a touchy subject for you. I guess i could do what others neutrals do and wrongly claim Mayo as All Ireland contenders? Let's be honest ...Connacht football is in a bad place ongoing for 5 years now and Mayo's one win over Cork or reaching the semi final this year won't change that fact i'm afraid.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2488 - 29/07/2012 21:53:41    1233000

Link

It looks like the team did not believe they could win. Dropping Egan for Cohen i believe had a negative effect on the team morale. Anyone who knows sligo football would know why that might be. Why was TT left on for so long etc etc.
There could have been changes but egos have to be maintained so it was all too late when subs came in.
Newstalk gave a good commentary which was non biased but maybe the word "useless" by one commentator was over the top. However what they did highlight was the total lack of tactics. Was the Galway game a fluke?
You could say Galway could have had us beaten at half time if they had taken their chances
Galway should have had us beaten at half time if they had taken their chances
Kildare had us beaten at half time because they did take their chances.
Some of you on here got the starting selection ye wanted and hense the Kildare HB was probably MOTM. Ye have a few months now to canvas Trap about bringing back S Ireland.

TimtheEnchanter (Sligo) - Posts: 309 - 30/07/2012 09:42:00    1233096

Link