Roscommon v GMIT, Ballyforan (2.00pm)

SATURDAY 15 JANUARY
IT Sligo v Sligo, Ballinode 7.00pm

SUNDAY 16 JANUARY
Galway NUI v Galway
Roscommon v Leitrim, Elphin (2.00pm)
GMIT V Mayo, Ballinrobe (2.00pm)

SUNDAY 23 JANUARY
Sligo v NUI Galway, Tourlestrane (2.00pm)
Galway v Sligo IT, Tuam (2.00pm)
Leitrim v GMIT, Cloone (2.00pm)
Mayo v Roscommon, Ballyhaunis (2.00pm)

SATURDAY 29 JANUARY
Home final

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1491 - 16/12/2010 21:38:40    834285

Link

sligo v sligo it sud b gud

john.no1 (Sligo) - Posts: 456 - 17/12/2010 16:05:44    834595

Link

Pity we don't have Mayo. We'd hammer them again.

farmer2 (Sligo) - Posts: 440 - 17/12/2010 16:13:20    834603

Link

All Sligos games at home aswell, also it will very interesting how the IT Sligo Sligo players do against there teammates. Glad the Connacht Council changed the groups for the first time in 10yrs.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1491 - 17/12/2010 16:57:55    834640

Link

We should be looking to win this to start off our campaign on a winning note.

farmer2 (Sligo) - Posts: 440 - 23/12/2010 11:52:09    837385

Link

No farmer2, there is absolutely no need to win this competition. there is no sense getting carried away with a nothing competition designed only to try out new players. important to bear in mind that sligo will be missing a number of players playing for different colleges.

irishstew (Sligo) - Posts: 172 - 23/12/2010 12:23:40    837408

Link

anyone hear of any new names in the panel?

peeping_tom (Sligo) - Posts: 23 - 23/12/2010 19:03:53    837614

Link

We have the numbers to make up for those in college.

farmer2 (Sligo) - Posts: 440 - 23/12/2010 19:05:04    837615

Link

Rolston and Curley in from Easkey.

allSOran (Sligo) - Posts: 690 - 30/12/2010 14:29:52    838067

Link

Just a few points on the team for sunday.

Great to see Farrell get a run in goals. Also positive to have Davey at No 3 and McGovern back in hlf back line. Interesting to see how Egan gets on at centre field. Realistically we could see all could davey, mcg and egan start v donegal nxt month. Who is O'Boyle? And mcGuire at chb? Is walsh trying to find a new role for him? Liked to see Kennedy/Quinn start there of even McG.

In the forwards, hopefully Maye will kick on from last years junior displays. Surprised that Hughes from geevagh made panel - seen him in club c'ship and wasnt convinced. Who's the Hynes chap at FF? Thought we would have seen more of last years juniors play eg David Rooney, McIntyre, McHugh Also as regards the subs. who is mcgowan, mcgovern gk (is touhy around this year?).

No harm to see new faces in - use the fbd for whatits there for

Great that 2011 has come round so quick and waether permitting, hope to start off with a win. Sligeach Abu

Eagle30 (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 07/01/2011 14:38:49    841423

Link

eagle 30 your some sligo fan when ya dont know any of the players that played well for u-21s last year?

bluewaffle (Sligo) - Posts: 61 - 07/01/2011 16:35:50    841561

Link

Sligo team to play Galway is:

1: J. Farrell (Owenmore Gaels)
2: C. Harrison (St. Johns)
3: C. Davey (Drumcliffe/Rosses Point)
4: N. Ewing (Drumcliffe/Rosses Point)
5: P. McGovern (Eastern Harps)
6: N. Maguire (Easkey)
7: B. O'Boyle (Calry/St. Josephs)
8: T. Taylor (Eastern Harps)
9: B. Egan (Tourlestrane)
10: A. Costello (Coolera/Strandhill)
11: F. Quinn (Shamrock Gaels)
12: P. Hughes (Geevagh)
13: D. Maye (Curry)
14: J. Hynes (St. Farnans)
15: A. Marren (Curry

Subs McGovern GK, Michael McGowan, S Davey, Breheny, M Quinn, D Rooney, B Kennedy

Its the first game and im happy enough with most of that team, the selection of McGuire at CHB is a total waste of time to nurture a potential CHB imo and reinforces my opinion on walsh. Whats his thinking there, filter as many HFs back as possible and crowd that area so we can protect McGuire, similar to what T Breheny did when mcnamara was there. Its a mistake, get Mark Quinn in there.

B O Boyle was CHB for u21s last yr and is there again this yr, good player, glad to see get a chance. Glad F Quinn is in there, his inspiration in the conacht junior final was immense so im expecting him to kick on this yr. Hynes is a suprise but he is talented, the great Denis Jonston wouldnt start him for the u21s last yr which probably threw away the title on us so at least walsh can see that he has the raw materials.

Im a big fan of Sean Davey and his Sligo career, absolute legend, he is costing a young player for the future a place on the bench on sunday which is not in the best interests of Sligo seniors imo.

Pat Hughes deserves a shot, dont mind him starting at all. Hard working HF, and more defensive so will suit with mcguire chb buts its not ideal tactic for me.

Glad Farrell is in goals, and hopefully we'll see mcgovern aswell. This will be my first time seeing Conor Davey FB since Sligo minors in 2007, looking forward to seeing him there.

Delighted to see Brendan Egan back aswell.

Glad to see Griffin and Gilmartin made the cut at NUIG. Below is the county player with all the connacht colleges.

NUI, Galway:

Conor Healy & Greg Higgins, (Galway).

Sean McWeeney & Kevin Conlon, (Leitrim).

Alan Dillon, Peadar Gardiner, Neil Douglas, (Mayo).

Stephen Gilmartin & Conor Griffin, (Sligo).

GMIT:

Paul Conroy, Stephen Kavanagh & Tomas Fahy, (Galway).

Eoin Warde, (Leitrim).

Niall Prenty & Brendan Walsh, (Mayo).

Colm O. Neill & Daniel Rogers, (Roscommon).

IT Sligo:

Danny Cummins, Adrian Faherty, Paul Gleeson, (Galway).

Paddy McGuire, Dermot Reynolds, Adrian Croal, (Leitrim).

Tom Parsons & Kevin Keane, (Mayo).

Stephen Coen, Keelan Cawley & Kenneth Sweeney, (Sligo).

Senan O' Grady & Paul Garvey, (Roscommon).

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1491 - 07/01/2011 19:14:21    841761

Link

sher he has to play maguire centre back because he wont be playing full back anytime soon with davey back, hope the shoulder holds up for him, great to see egan back huge addition, o boyle at wing back will do a serious job and hynes full forward is lethal!! hope to see more young players get a run, harris will be in after u-21s great marksman outshone scanlon last years for johns... sligeach abu

bluewaffle (Sligo) - Posts: 61 - 07/01/2011 21:48:18    841907

Link

I have to agree with sligonian on Mcguire, he has given a great service to Sligo football, but his lack of pace last year was really shown up in every game. Kevin Walsh has said the FBD is chance to blood new players, so why wont he do what he says. We have a great chance to become a dominant team in Connacht but that wont happen if we persist with these problems.

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 298 - 08/01/2011 12:01:24    841959

Link

McGuire deserves to be in the team , he was the key to easkey getting back up to senior!! Galway have named a poor team

sligostar (Sligo) - Posts: 80 - 08/01/2011 16:44:07    842107

Link

id have o boyle centre half back and bring in quinn half back. great to see hynes gettin a run he was under used by u-21s last year

Sligoboi (Sligo) - Posts: 17 - 08/01/2011 18:01:18    842155

Link

Just back from Sligo Galway..

Good game for the conditions, Sligo 1-10 Galway 2-9

Armstrong scored 2-3 off Allstar Charlie Harrison who needs to erase this game from his memory quickly, kinda reinforces my opinion that he would be better HB.

Best for Sligo Pat Hughes 0-2, Francis Quinn 0-1, Paul Mcgovern and everyone worked hard. Sligo were 1-5 to 0-2 up at HT with the wind, Galway got a goal start of 2nd half after the ref pulled Charlie for picking off the grd even though he clearly put his foot under it, the ref pulled for picking off the grd all day even when it bounced so no complaints as he was consistently useless for both teams.

Overall i was happy enoiugh, we moved the ball well at times and if hynes had got any good ball looked like he could do damage, Tony Taylor did well and scored a cracking goal. Maye his usual consistent self from frees although he slipped for one wide. Our defenders seem intent on playing from the front, which proved very costly today especially against the wind, didnt make sense to me because its plays into galways long ball tactic 2nd half.

Id like to see Farrell, Kennedy, C Davey, Donovan, Harrison, M Quinn, McGovern, as my defence the next day.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1491 - 09/01/2011 17:25:37    842497

Link

All star Charlie ?? Sligonian will ya ever quit...first game of fbd, 9th january, heavy heavy training going on! sound like an awful jealous man with that kinda comment! Sean Armstrong is a class player any day of the year! And im sure charlie doesnt care one bit about today the next month training is more important than any fbd game! :)

tumtackeater (Sligo) - Posts: 51 - 09/01/2011 17:57:05    842525

Link

Well no tumtacker, a game is more important than training anyday. However I agree about your comment to Sligonian. Bad start to the new year Sligonian, no need for a bitter statement like that. Just call him Charlie, you would swear he took the all star from a Molaise a player. Although I note you felt Donovan should have gotten the all star, but still no need.

Disappointing result to be beaten at home in any competition

ExSligohurler (Sligo) - Posts: 85 - 09/01/2011 19:53:25    842656

Link

Charlie is an Allstar last time i checked, try not to get your knickers in a twist, its a factual statement, how can you read into that im bitter when i was delighted for him, everyone rates donovan higher in Sligo, he doenst mean there bitter. Tumteaker and exsligohurler as usual nowhere near a Sligo game to support yere county. How can ye make excuses when ye werent even at the game, it had little to do with fitness.

Pounce on every Sligonian post and drive negativity into it is obviously yer new yrs resolution. Why not comment on the rest of my points lads? Straight in twisting things as usual. Focus on my positive.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1491 - 09/01/2011 20:33:22    842716

Link