Sligo Forum

Armagh

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Good to have a home game. Hopefully Mgt will throw caution to the wind and blood a few new player's.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 11/06/2018 11:25:06    2109835

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Good to have a home game. Hopefully Mgt will throw caution to the wind and blood a few new player's."
Like who?

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 216 - 11/06/2018 12:16:38    2109890

Link

Hopefully we give a better account of ourselves than the league game up there. What young players are you referring to? It would be nice to see an actual game plan in place also.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 13/06/2018 10:05:36    2110891

Link

Before the game in Galway I mentioned that both our corner backs plus Marren and Hughes would struggle big time. 2 of those mentioned didn't see the second half so it's logical to assume that they need to be replaced. MC Guinness, Gordon, Nicholson, Keelan Cawley, carrabine must come in for consideration. They might not be any better but we have to blood new players so we are as well to start in Markievicz Park against Armagh where there is no pressure on them as we are not expected to win.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 13/06/2018 17:33:06    2111174

Link

Best of luck, win on Saturday, get the winners of Leitrim and Louth in rd 3, then get losing Leinster finalist Laois, win and your in Super 8s, just saying, Sligeach abu.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1506 - 14/06/2018 03:53:17    2111364

Link

Anyone any hear team news? Any injury concerns? I see Graham Geraghty was backing us to win in yesterday's paper. Congratulations to Kyle Cawley on getting on the Connacht team of the championship last night on the Sunday Game.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 18/06/2018 12:46:07    2112611

Link

Eoinog, pointman do you see us winning this? Any specific tactics ye would employ against Armagh?

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1506 - 21/06/2018 03:44:20    2113488

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Eoinog, pointman do you see us winning this? Any specific tactics ye would employ against Armagh?"
Well a good start would be to score more goals and points than Armagh.Im convinced that if we do that we should win regardless of the referee's performance.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 209 - 21/06/2018 12:36:45    2113553

Link

I would give us a good chance against Armagh, they are a better team than us but not by a lot. I don't rate McGeeney as a manager and home advantage could well be the difference here. If we are still with them at half time I think we could push on and win this. We need to push up on them from the throw in and pressurize their defense instead of inviting them on for the first 20 minutes. Hughes needs to be either dropped and used for the last 20 minutes if needed or left on the edge of the square. If we have a fully fit team we can cause them a lot of bother, I heard Marren is carrying a knock so hopefully he is fit. Best of luck to the boys.

Benbulben (Sligo) - Posts: 298 - 21/06/2018 13:56:05    2113573

Link

@Sligonian we have a chance, a good one. Armagh are no great shakes and I don't rate McGeeney. But we have to have, is a clear gameplan in place, if we are going to be defensive then be defensive and hit them on the counter hard, we have plenty of pace, slow transitions and letting them get numbers behind the ball will kill us. They are big powerful men, so we need to use the wings and our strike runners coming at pace. For this reason I would start Breheny and Carrabine. Kickouts have to go short I'm afraid as we saw against Galway we dont have the men to go toe with big natural ball winners that Armagh do have. I think Hughes has to be dropped no point lumping 50/50 ball into him when he'll be surrounded by 2-3 men, I genuinely think he needs an ultimantum at this stage to go away and get fit and conditioned and then he'd be a serious weapon in MF IMO or else he needs to go end of, he's not a full-forward, him missing the last 2 pre seasons have done him no favours and it is not good enough. Murnin is going to take some looking after at full-forward hopefully there is a clear plan in place for him unlike with Comer the other week. Other than that I'd like to see our young forwards (carrabine, Gaughan Cawley etc.) go out and express themselves. There is no doubt the ability is there to beat this Armagh team, but we're probably gonna need to 2/3 goals and a bit of luck along the way.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 22/06/2018 11:42:28    2113723

Link

Hard to Know if I want Sligo to win or not this Saturday evening. If they win it will strengthen Corey's hand to stay another year, but if they lose then surely he will be shown the door. We have played without any plan, shape or tactics for a few years now so after a 20+ drubbing we will hardly have engineered a tactical master piece by tomorrow. Give the young Fringe players a start as it's going to be a scorcher in Markievicz Park. Armagh to win comfortably by 6 and Cathal Corey to wave farewell to Sligo.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 22/06/2018 17:04:26    2113773

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "@Sligonian we have a chance, a good one. Armagh are no great shakes and I don't rate McGeeney. But we have to have, is a clear gameplan in place, if we are going to be defensive then be defensive and hit them on the counter hard, we have plenty of pace, slow transitions and letting them get numbers behind the ball will kill us. They are big powerful men, so we need to use the wings and our strike runners coming at pace. For this reason I would start Breheny and Carrabine. Kickouts have to go short I'm afraid as we saw against Galway we dont have the men to go toe with big natural ball winners that Armagh do have. I think Hughes has to be dropped no point lumping 50/50 ball into him when he'll be surrounded by 2-3 men, I genuinely think he needs an ultimantum at this stage to go away and get fit and conditioned and then he'd be a serious weapon in MF IMO or else he needs to go end of, he's not a full-forward, him missing the last 2 pre seasons have done him no favours and it is not good enough. Murnin is going to take some looking after at full-forward hopefully there is a clear plan in place for him unlike with Comer the other week. Other than that I'd like to see our young forwards (carrabine, Gaughan Cawley etc.) go out and express themselves. There is no doubt the ability is there to beat this Armagh team, but we're probably gonna need to 2/3 goals and a bit of luck along the way."
Pointman I agree about our issues with midfield and ball winning abikity there but we may end up kicking long there, for me as risk mitigation that buys territory even if we lose the kickout, whereas you suggest going short, that is riskier because if we can't work the ball out or our GK isn't quick enough the opposition can be on top of you, I was at only 1 game westmeath away and devanvey struggled with the short and medium kick outs, a few over end line inside our 45, and under hit and overshot short ones cost us 5/6 pts, the defence I doubt would trust him completely, id hope hes improved alot, I agree about playing the younger lads, and breheny, we need pace, we do have injuries so there will be a few changes,

I'm sure Eoinog when the ball is thrown in you will want us to win, surely the CB know what to do with Corey already, guaranteed the majority of players do. The younger players need more big game experience so the hope is we can prolong this yr as much as possible. We've pretty much home draw next yr in Connacht so hopefully we can continue showing well in the park.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1506 - 22/06/2018 20:41:22    2113796

Link

Is Corey gone yet?

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1506 - 23/06/2018 20:59:49    2113995

Link

And Devaney too, five years around and hindering our already slim chances of success is long enough.

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 44 - 24/06/2018 13:10:03    2114175

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Hard to Know if I want Sligo to win or not this Saturday evening. If they win it will strengthen Corey's hand to stay another year, but if they lose then surely he will be shown the door. We have played without any plan, shape or tactics for a few years now so after a 20+ drubbing we will hardly have engineered a tactical master piece by tomorrow. Give the young Fringe players a start as it's going to be a scorcher in Markievicz Park. Armagh to win comfortably by 6 and Cathal Corey to wave farewell to Sligo."
Looks like I got my prediction spot on. I had given up complaining about our keeper, Ewing and Murphy but ------.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 24/06/2018 15:00:52    2114214

Link

Pointman how did the short kickout tactic you wanted work out?

This is what you said about me recently. "To what extent were you involved in sligo football? because id be very worried for the future of sligo football, if you were in a position of responsibility given your lack of knowledge and inept tactics that you have frequently showcased on this forum."

Look at my message on the kickout strategy, and bear in mind I was at 1 game and I could see what could happen. It just reinforces my opinion that very few people in Sligo have any clue on Football and is especially evident on here, I'm debating with clueless people who think they know everything.

We need to get Vinny Cadden back from New York.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1506 - 25/06/2018 02:49:38    2114473

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Pointman how did the short kickout tactic you wanted work out?

This is what you said about me recently. "To what extent were you involved in sligo football? because id be very worried for the future of sligo football, if you were in a position of responsibility given your lack of knowledge and inept tactics that you have frequently showcased on this forum."

Look at my message on the kickout strategy, and bear in mind I was at 1 game and I could see what could happen. It just reinforces my opinion that very few people in Sligo have any clue on Football and is especially evident on here, I'm debating with clueless people who think they know everything.

We need to get Vinny Cadden back from New York."
Very arrogant and stupid response Sligonian. We can't kick the ball short as keeper is not accurate enough off the tee or we can't get players into space to receive short kick-out and can't kick the ball long as we don't have midfielders who can claim the long kick outs. Something then has to change either change the keeper or practise in training a proper kick-out routine. I would agree with the previous poster that the short kick-out routine we get a higher percentage of ball but mistakes can happen even with the top keepers. Stop the know it all bullsh*t, you're overseas so you cannot see what happens on the pitch or in training bar a 30 second clip on Sunday Game.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 270 - 25/06/2018 09:36:42    2114514

Link

Replying To Anto:  "Very arrogant and stupid response Sligonian. We can't kick the ball short as keeper is not accurate enough off the tee or we can't get players into space to receive short kick-out and can't kick the ball long as we don't have midfielders who can claim the long kick outs. Something then has to change either change the keeper or practise in training a proper kick-out routine. I would agree with the previous poster that the short kick-out routine we get a higher percentage of ball but mistakes can happen even with the top keepers. Stop the know it all bullsh*t, you're overseas so you cannot see what happens on the pitch or in training bar a 30 second clip on Sunday Game."
Anto you basically just backed me up and are repeating what I said :) as I said before the game short kickouts will cost us more than the long ones and they did, were you at the game yourself? Any chance of reports from all the attendees on here, then I said we need Cadden back and you back me up again saying we need a new keeper. They had yrs to work on short kickouts with devaney. It's not arrogance, it's just basic football knowledge. Anto i dont mind you taking what I said before the game and trying to making it as your own but all the other jibes aside are unnecessary and no need for.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1506 - 25/06/2018 17:58:44    2114843

Link

It all stems back to our lack of success underage. I've been saying this for years we need to stop the rot of getting trounced by Ros/Mayo/Galway year in year out at U20 and below.

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 261 - 25/06/2018 17:59:59    2114844

Link

Replying To republican:  "It all stems back to our lack of success underage. I've been saying this for years we need to stop the rot of getting trounced by Ros/Mayo/Galway year in year out at U20 and below."
well we shot ourselves in the foot with the u20 this year when would have had a good team and a chance but that was the senior managements fault according to posters on here..

sligoharp (USA) - Posts: 10 - 25/06/2018 23:19:19    2115091

Link