Sligo Forum

New Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Now that the club season is back up and running, most senior teams have played a warm up game and league starts this week, has anyone got out to see any games? Any teams showing early league promise? Great to see a stretch in the evenings a host of underage games on each evening.
Bit early for predictions but im going for Division 1 winners: Tubber
Relegation: Curry and Shamrock Gaels

Division 2 winners: St.Johns
Relegation: St pats and St Michael's

Division 3 winners: OMG just to edge Ballymote

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 27/03/2018 13:40:53    2088708

Link

Tour to win again I'm afraid, hearing reports that all is not well in Mary's camp

Is it not just one team to be relegated like last year? Drumcliffe for relegation

Calry for Division 2 with Michaels relegated and it will be tight but I will go Ballymote for Division 3

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 341 - 28/03/2018 16:11:36    2089079

Link

Also some teams starting league this weekend without having played a game in warm up league, such a joke. Time they just played off the warm up league before any league match starts

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 341 - 28/03/2018 17:13:44    2089100

Link

Replying To muscles:  "Tour to win again I'm afraid, hearing reports that all is not well in Mary's camp

Is it not just one team to be relegated like last year? Drumcliffe for relegation

Calry for Division 2 with Michaels relegated and it will be tight but I will go Ballymote for Division 3"
Yes just one team relegated and 1 promoted as far as I know

shorona (Sligo) - Posts: 114 - 28/03/2018 23:18:24    2089216

Link

Tubbercurry for Division 1
St. Johns - Division 2
Ballymote - Division 3

Muscles, really with you on the warm up competition point.....most teams have been training c8 weeks now with just the one competitive warm up game.......IMO this competition only only retains meaning as preparation for league.......it loses all appeal / interest now we'll be bogged down with playing these games during the league and championship preparation....makes no sense whatsoever.

Exemption (Sligo) - Posts: 37 - 29/03/2018 09:14:09    2089253

Link

Any word on when the Championship draw is being made? It seems to be later year after year.

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 44 - 29/03/2018 10:24:54    2089269

Link

One would team going down makes it all very straightforward so. Agree with you re the the warm leagues lose all interest once the actual league starts. No idea what the story is re championship the draw is usually made during the closed season if im correct? I presume its startimg once the county team is knocked out? I think if sligo beat London there is a 4 break to the semi, 5 week break to the qualifers. 2 rounds of club championship should be played then.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 29/03/2018 15:42:14    2089358

Link

The last 2 years the draw for championship was done Mid April

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 341 - 29/03/2018 20:46:55    2089419

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "One would team going down makes it all very straightforward so. Agree with you re the the warm leagues lose all interest once the actual league starts. No idea what the story is re championship the draw is usually made during the closed season if im correct? I presume its startimg once the county team is knocked out? I think if sligo beat London there is a 4 break to the semi, 5 week break to the qualifers. 2 rounds of club championship should be played then."
Senior and inter Champ starts 4th Aug, Junior the week after

shorona (Sligo) - Posts: 114 - 30/03/2018 10:14:01    2089493

Link

Replying To shorona:  "Senior and inter Champ starts 4th Aug, Junior the week after"
Hopefully without the ridiculous long time to complete the group stages, unless they finally discovered some logic and switch to 2 x 5 groups this time, at least teams would have a proper go at it rather than two games and you're gone.

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 44 - 31/03/2018 14:06:56    2089692

Link

Great start to the league. All 5 Div 1 game's either ended in a draw or a one point victory. Shamrock Gaels winning by 1 the stand out result. I was going to tip Molaise Gael's for the league but not now. Think Tourlestrane will win it with Curry getting relegated. It will be interesting to see how Tourlestrane will get on without Gerry MC Gowan. I believe O Hara is in sole charge now. I have no doubt that MC Gowan moving to the Sligo set up helped us retain Div 3 status. He was alot more vocal and visibility on the sideline.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 01/04/2018 15:53:47    2089955

Link

Any reports on the games at the weekend lads?

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 216 - 03/04/2018 11:12:33    2090582

Link

Was at the DRP Coolaney game very impressed with how drp get on given the number of players they were missing, still playing a defensive brand of football and they are extremely fit. Coolaney should improve too and they were also missing a few. Great to see Tommy Finnegan back playing for drp after a long term absence , a tigerish former county minor corner back he'll definetly improve their cause. On sunday was at the div3. game between omg and ballymote. Ballymote got a huge scare and it is clear that omg have improved greatly since their last encounter. Was a very enjoyable game of football and the standard looked a lot higher than div3. The ref however was horrendous for both sides. I presume these 2 will meet again in the league final and if omg keep improving as they have, I fancy them to shade it.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 03/04/2018 13:52:40    2090664

Link

Group 1 in both the Senior and intermediate championships are very tasty.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 216 - 07/04/2018 12:14:35    2091535

Link

Anyone know what happened to the Tubber/Harps game last weekend.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 11/04/2018 15:21:52    2092398

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Anyone know what happened to the Tubber/Harps game last weekend."
Very strange alright. Im sure both pitches were playable?

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 12/04/2018 19:51:56    2092666

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "Very strange alright. Im sure both pitches were playable?"
Story I heard since was Tubber pitch unplayable and game was moved to Cloonacool, but Tubber would not play there. Game then moved to Harps for Sunday morning. Tubber never showed up. Referee threw in the ball and went home, leaving Harps to have a training session.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 702 - 13/04/2018 13:58:59    2092839

Link

Anyone at any games this weekend? Some interesting results, Mary's and drumcliff had big wins. Enniscrone flying it in Div.2

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 15/04/2018 20:09:34    2093141

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "Anyone at any games this weekend? Some interesting results, Mary's and drumcliff had big wins. Enniscrone flying it in Div.2"
Enniscrone have had a brilliant start to division 2. St.Farnans look to be struggling after making an intermediate final appearance last year. Early indications look like they will be slogging it out with St. Michaels in a relegation battle.
St. Johns got off the mark against Easkey, they needed that if they want to make a promotion push. Easkey have made a good start and will be safe in div 2 and may be in the promotion mix. With them odds on for a junior championship I'd say they will be targeting a long season and a Connaught championship run.
Bunninadden won to put their promotion hopes back on track, with Calry looking extremely strong with a big win over Geevagh. It will be an interesting battle for that second spot and a league final appearance but Calry setting the early pace for the top spot.
Division one games not so tight this weekend. Very good result for Drumcliffe, and marys went on a goal spree. Molaise got an important win to get off the mark and Tour looking so strong again.

shorona (Sligo) - Posts: 114 - 16/04/2018 12:17:19    2093244

Link

Replying To shorona:  "Enniscrone have had a brilliant start to division 2. St.Farnans look to be struggling after making an intermediate final appearance last year. Early indications look like they will be slogging it out with St. Michaels in a relegation battle.
St. Johns got off the mark against Easkey, they needed that if they want to make a promotion push. Easkey have made a good start and will be safe in div 2 and may be in the promotion mix. With them odds on for a junior championship I'd say they will be targeting a long season and a Connaught championship run.
Bunninadden won to put their promotion hopes back on track, with Calry looking extremely strong with a big win over Geevagh. It will be an interesting battle for that second spot and a league final appearance but Calry setting the early pace for the top spot.
Division one games not so tight this weekend. Very good result for Drumcliffe, and marys went on a goal spree. Molaise got an important win to get off the mark and Tour looking so strong again."
Can't see Farnans being in relegation trouble, they have struggled as thier county boys haven't played any league yet and Hynes is a loss however will finish up mid table. Michael's are going down, and seems in anyone else can beat anyone else in that division apart from Carly who are steamrolling everyone. I expect John's to get their act together and make the league final, I think they were late back after their long season last season. I think Easkey are an aging team over reliant on McGuire and Mullen, have some good young players who have probably failed to live up to the potential shown thus far and they definitely will not walk the Junior.

I predict wins for Tubber, Tour, Drumcliff, Marys and Coolaney this week in Division 1.
Geevagh, Castleconor, Johns, Calry and Farnans by a whisker in Division 2.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 20/04/2018 10:27:51    2094080

Link