Sligo Forum

Connacht FBD League 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Been travelling the last few days so late putting this up, Galway v Sligo, was a good game given the conditions, first of all both teams had to contend with it and to add in the melting pot one of the worst referees I have witnessed. Galway played with wind first half when it was gale but it died down 2nd half, wasn't much between the sides, we made a big mistake for the goal which should of resulted in turnover for us, we missed a lot of scorable frees on the right hand side, we need a left footed free taker as brehony would of got 3 or 4, I hear Coen is injured at the minute so I suppose that's our solution. Marren was impressive but we were a little too reliant on him for my liking, hes so clever with his runs, how creates space, shot selection and how he uses his body to create momentum, for me McGuinness looks like a real option for full back, most remember his days with attractas, and were hoping he would progress, this will be a big year for him, just needs to be given lots of game time there as he has the talent, we need to be a bit more accurate with our lateral handpasses coming out of defence, a few other gifted goal chances were given to Galway, we improved a lot second half, forced Galway to the corners a lot and pushed them out, you could see the beginning of a counter attack game plan, like an intent around our breaks, our tackling improved a lot 2nd, id say Corey was happy with how we moved the ball but will have been disappointed in our tackling at times, but ref was over fussy, midfield is still an major issue and our ball winning there just isn't giving us a platform, after yesterday your looking at a spine of the team , Devaney, mcguinness, McDonnell, McIntyre, o connor, murphy, hughes and build the team around that. For me McDonnell needs game time at CHB if fit and healthy. Is o connor a midfielder at senior level, we probably need a bigger physical presence there but he is a great player so needs to be fitted in somewhere. Finian Cawley showed well at CHF and Carrabine deserves another few looks, one of the good things with all the young lads is all took on the game and never shirked responsibility and that was impressive, the galway youngsters several times had better platforms from winning midfield and kicked to corners when had the chance to shoot or take us on. We snuffed them out brilliantly second half at times. Other things whilst Galway were missing loads but several of their players have Connacht u21, u18 medals but our lads looked as good. Galway are few more years down the developed route with walsh than us so our lads will have to learn fast this yr. I tend to see O Haras point about this year and sticking with younger players but I feel we can stay up this yr and gain that experience rather than his negative pre-framing. 4 Home games in the league bring it on.

Hearing Leitrim game is postponed but hopefully a few more of ye will go the ros and mayo matches so we get reports.

Where are the county champions Tourlestrane guys on the panel, Kelly, McIntyre, liam and noel gaughan, the egans etc..? They weren't on the programme.

Also I didn't see Conleth Gilligan or Tony Scullion at bekan, (everyone was well covered up so apologies if Im wrong but I am informed they weren't there too), I find that strange, they are selectors after all? surely should be at every training session and match? This was one of my concerns with Corey because there was a lack of clearness on his backroom team when he was appointed and he said on radio they had other commitments to finish in 2017 but would be on board fully. Does anyone know where they are all based and what the story is?

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1489 - 07/01/2018 14:33:49    2067165

Link

Very good report sligonian. I was wondering the same about Gilligan and Scullion at the match. Do himself and Scullion go to all sessions? I'm led to believe that Liam Gaughan and Stephen Henry are the only 2 tourlestrane lads on the panel at the minute. McIntyre is undecided yet. The rest of them who played last year aren't commiting this year from what I'm told. Disappointing to hear. We seem to always take one step forward and two steps back with player commintment each year. John Kelly and Cathal Henry are 2 big losses in my opinion.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 204 - 07/01/2018 16:31:10    2067186

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "Very good report sligonian. I was wondering the same about Gilligan and Scullion at the match. Do himself and Scullion go to all sessions? I'm led to believe that Liam Gaughan and Stephen Henry are the only 2 tourlestrane lads on the panel at the minute. McIntyre is undecided yet. The rest of them who played last year aren't commiting this year from what I'm told. Disappointing to hear. We seem to always take one step forward and two steps back with player commintment each year. John Kelly and Cathal Henry are 2 big losses in my opinion."
It's all well and good saying its disappointing the tour lads haven't committed but maybe they have different priorities in their lives, The county game has become all consuming and life is passing these young players by and all for what? a few games in division 3 and a qualifier run in the championship. Anyone who read Kieran Bergin in the star yesterday would see it is madness what players are asked to do and that guy has an all ireland in his pocket.

westvoice (Sligo) - Posts: 30 - 07/01/2018 17:10:03    2067202

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "Very good report sligonian. I was wondering the same about Gilligan and Scullion at the match. Do himself and Scullion go to all sessions? I'm led to believe that Liam Gaughan and Stephen Henry are the only 2 tourlestrane lads on the panel at the minute. McIntyre is undecided yet. The rest of them who played last year aren't commiting this year from what I'm told. Disappointing to hear. We seem to always take one step forward and two steps back with player commintment each year. John Kelly and Cathal Henry are 2 big losses in my opinion."
It's all well and good saying its disappointing the tour lads haven't committed but maybe they have different priorities in their lives, The county game has become all consuming and life is passing these young players by and all for what? a few games in division 3 and a qualifier run in the championship. Anyone who read Kieran Bergin in the star yesterday would see it is madness what players are asked to do and that guy has an all ireland in his pocket.

westvoice (Sligo) - Posts: 30 - 07/01/2018 17:10:03    2067203

Link

Seemed strange that there were no Tourlestrane or Harps players on the squad. Might not have helped the pitch either??

Sligo75 (Sligo) - Posts: 8 - 08/01/2018 12:27:03    2067327

Link

Bit of a farce the postponement of the game at such late notice, really some foresight should have been used given the weather forecast and moved the game to bekan but I suppose that was the case all over the country.
Great to see some of the young lads getting a run against Galway is there any other young lads in the squad who will be given a chance in the next few games. I for one would like to see Liam Gaughan given a chance. Funny how cawley couldn't get a game for the 21s last year but starting for the seniors this year. Young Greene really impressed me for st John's last year disappointed he wasn't brought in for the fbd league games at least.
I hear paddy o Connor is close to the ucd starting sigerson team which is good news.
Worrying if reports are true about the 2 selectors not turning up for games.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 08/01/2018 18:25:41    2067386

Link

I cannot understand why Adrian Marren is playing in FBD games. Everyone know his knees are very much hanging on by thread could we not rest him and maybe the younger players wouldn't be so reliant. You cannot have Adrian scoring 8 out of you 11 points in January.

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 256 - 08/01/2018 19:06:32    2067392

Link

Replying To republican:  "I cannot understand why Adrian Marren is playing in FBD games. Everyone know his knees are very much hanging on by thread could we not rest him and maybe the younger players wouldn't be so reliant. You cannot have Adrian scoring 8 out of you 11 points in January."
I agree surely the purpose of these warm up competitions is to unearth new players? A player like Adrian Marren in the swansong of his career should be given an extra long break to recharge the batteries until we really need him.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 08/01/2018 21:07:50    2067414

Link

Really decent performance V Galway, loads of positives to take from the game with a few areas to work on....foot passes, handling, transition from defense to attack. Wednesday night becomes very important now, for the confidence of the squad if only, a defeat of 7/8 points + could really knock the progress of the developments of this young squad.

Not sure where the word on Marren's knees been 'hanging on by a thread' came from, Marren has been leading by example around training from what i'm hearing, most important thing would be to keep him as close to the opposition goal as possible and not inside our own 45 as happened too many times last year.

Kevin McDonnell is a great choice for captain, a really great Sligo man, who is only interested in the development of Sligo football. Don't see him as CHB, McGuinness is really making all the right moves to make the full back position his own, KMcD would be my choice to fit in either side of him.

As regards the Tourlestrane men not committing, McIntyre and Kelly are massive losses, V Galway we really got exposed without a big physical presence like McIntyre. Everything good Sligo done in 2017 came through the hands of Johnny Kelly. Liam Gaughan hasn't fully committed yet from what I hear, hopefully he will sooner rather than later as the lad is a great talent. Egan, N Gaughan, C Henry I think we can do without, all members of the panel this past couple of years with very little to show from it.

Tony Scullion has a role in Ulster GAA and works from Armagh. Gilligan has been at a handful of training sessions thus far from what i'm hearing, looks like a token name on the ticket to form basis of getting the job, how does a selector make choices on personnel when he can hardly even know the names of the players at that rate of attendance at training/matches?

knowitall2016 (Sligo) - Posts: 8 - 08/01/2018 21:36:59    2067418

Link

Replying To knowitall2016:  "Really decent performance V Galway, loads of positives to take from the game with a few areas to work on....foot passes, handling, transition from defense to attack. Wednesday night becomes very important now, for the confidence of the squad if only, a defeat of 7/8 points + could really knock the progress of the developments of this young squad.

Not sure where the word on Marren's knees been 'hanging on by a thread' came from, Marren has been leading by example around training from what i'm hearing, most important thing would be to keep him as close to the opposition goal as possible and not inside our own 45 as happened too many times last year.

Kevin McDonnell is a great choice for captain, a really great Sligo man, who is only interested in the development of Sligo football. Don't see him as CHB, McGuinness is really making all the right moves to make the full back position his own, KMcD would be my choice to fit in either side of him.

As regards the Tourlestrane men not committing, McIntyre and Kelly are massive losses, V Galway we really got exposed without a big physical presence like McIntyre. Everything good Sligo done in 2017 came through the hands of Johnny Kelly. Liam Gaughan hasn't fully committed yet from what I hear, hopefully he will sooner rather than later as the lad is a great talent. Egan, N Gaughan, C Henry I think we can do without, all members of the panel this past couple of years with very little to show from it.

Tony Scullion has a role in Ulster GAA and works from Armagh. Gilligan has been at a handful of training sessions thus far from what i'm hearing, looks like a token name on the ticket to form basis of getting the job, how does a selector make choices on personnel when he can hardly even know the names of the players at that rate of attendance at training/matches?"
I wont tell you how I know Marren is struggling but its not something someone would make up. And it doesnt take Einstein to know that someone with that mileage deserves to be exempt from pre season tournaments or at least to play a smaller role.

Thats a heavy defeat to the Rossies tonight. I know we had a very young and inexperienced team but i'd prefer if it was far more tight.

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 256 - 10/01/2018 21:26:44    2067713

Link

Replying To republican:  "I wont tell you how I know Marren is struggling but its not something someone would make up. And it doesnt take Einstein to know that someone with that mileage deserves to be exempt from pre season tournaments or at least to play a smaller role.

Thats a heavy defeat to the Rossies tonight. I know we had a very young and inexperienced team but i'd prefer if it was far more tight."
Tbf to the lads last night it was 2-4 to 0-7 after 25 mins but we couldn't sustain it and also conceding 2 early goals is game over against a side as good as Roscommon, their subs and squad would be far superior to ours currently and it showed with them outscoring us heavily there on in.

I think its great that we getting this experience though, Roscommon are the benchmark for us and when they expose us always shows how far we have to go, any corner back should be judged on can he handle, murtaghs, mckeon or smith etc.. thats the benchmark for a connacht title. Last night was probably an eye opener but we will have learned alot.

I am glad the fbd doesnt have the gmit red herring match because players can look good against that side but when they come against the big boys exposed straight away. Leitrim and mayo development team not as good as roscommon so we should show better but if mayo play a full strength team we would need to play our strongest 15. It will be interesting to see the team selections and see if corey is learning. Was disappointed McGuinness wasnt full back, he needs to given game time there with 2 starting corner backs. Any reports on the game?

I have done a bit of digging on Tourlestrane involvement in County senior set up, im told none are committing, wonder why? We badly need them, county board need to meet them and ask whats going on, as its rather strange. Anto can you enlighten us?

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1489 - 11/01/2018 15:55:42    2067826

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Tbf to the lads last night it was 2-4 to 0-7 after 25 mins but we couldn't sustain it and also conceding 2 early goals is game over against a side as good as Roscommon, their subs and squad would be far superior to ours currently and it showed with them outscoring us heavily there on in.

I think its great that we getting this experience though, Roscommon are the benchmark for us and when they expose us always shows how far we have to go, any corner back should be judged on can he handle, murtaghs, mckeon or smith etc.. thats the benchmark for a connacht title. Last night was probably an eye opener but we will have learned alot.

I am glad the fbd doesnt have the gmit red herring match because players can look good against that side but when they come against the big boys exposed straight away. Leitrim and mayo development team not as good as roscommon so we should show better but if mayo play a full strength team we would need to play our strongest 15. It will be interesting to see the team selections and see if corey is learning. Was disappointed McGuinness wasnt full back, he needs to given game time there with 2 starting corner backs. Any reports on the game?

I have done a bit of digging on Tourlestrane involvement in County senior set up, im told none are committing, wonder why? We badly need them, county board need to meet them and ask whats going on, as its rather strange. Anto can you enlighten us?"
I wouldn't think its the county board's job to find players, the manager I'm sure has made his pitch to them and they have decided the commitment needed isn't for them or their personal lives/situations mean they cannot commit, end of story really. Yes we could do with them but we have to build a team of players who are totally committed not fellas who have to be begged to play!

westvoice (Sligo) - Posts: 30 - 11/01/2018 16:30:58    2067832

Link

I was at the game last night, and I will be brutally honest with ye, All the posters on hear screaming out for youth to be giving a chance but my god that was one of the worst sligo performances I have seen in twenty years and I am not just saying that.

We were competitive for the first 20 mins yes, but after that it was a shambles. Adrian and Stephen Coen keeping us in the game dont know why Coen was taking off he was the only forward scoring and making things happen but I think he is only coming back from injury so maybe that is why, very disappointed with Kyle Cawley, hasn't stepped it up since two years ago when he came on the seen, very poor last night didn't seem like he wanted to be there, These young fellas yes they need game time and experience but not thrown in all at once and expect to be competitive with Roscommon who had nearly a full strength squad out last night. I am not going to name the young lads because it would not be fair as they are just starting out in their careers.

What really annoyed me was these young lads ball skills, running into tackles simple hand passing, terrible terrible stuff.
We conceded 3-19 which could of been 7-19 if they put some of their scores away and we didnt score for 30 mins in the second half before two quick goals at the end, THAT SAYS IT ALL.

harps2588 (Sligo) - Posts: 78 - 11/01/2018 17:18:12    2067845

Link

Replying To harps2588:  "I was at the game last night, and I will be brutally honest with ye, All the posters on hear screaming out for youth to be giving a chance but my god that was one of the worst sligo performances I have seen in twenty years and I am not just saying that.

We were competitive for the first 20 mins yes, but after that it was a shambles. Adrian and Stephen Coen keeping us in the game dont know why Coen was taking off he was the only forward scoring and making things happen but I think he is only coming back from injury so maybe that is why, very disappointed with Kyle Cawley, hasn't stepped it up since two years ago when he came on the seen, very poor last night didn't seem like he wanted to be there, These young fellas yes they need game time and experience but not thrown in all at once and expect to be competitive with Roscommon who had nearly a full strength squad out last night. I am not going to name the young lads because it would not be fair as they are just starting out in their careers.

What really annoyed me was these young lads ball skills, running into tackles simple hand passing, terrible terrible stuff.
We conceded 3-19 which could of been 7-19 if they put some of their scores away and we didnt score for 30 mins in the second half before two quick goals at the end, THAT SAYS IT ALL."
"That says it all " and it's been all said before. I agree with you on most points but I must remind you that when we had a descent team there for a few years with big strong fellas who could give and take a belt , you were a very prominent poster at that time criticising certain players most of it unnecessary.
Be careful what you wish for!

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 205 - 11/01/2018 19:20:32    2067864

Link

Replying To harps2588:  "I was at the game last night, and I will be brutally honest with ye, All the posters on hear screaming out for youth to be giving a chance but my god that was one of the worst sligo performances I have seen in twenty years and I am not just saying that.

We conceded 3-19 which could of been 7-19 if they put some of their scores away and we didnt score for 30 mins in the second half before two quick goals at the end, THAT SAYS IT ALL."
We were missing Devaney, o Rourke, ian kilbride kilroy, stack Compton, lavin from connacht final team and subs played plus
Ronan Daly cathal cregg harney add in 2 or 3 of glaveys lads that will be involved when club commitments finished hardly nearly full strength.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1345 - 11/01/2018 20:52:18    2067872

Link

I wouldnt say it was entirely negative from Sligo POV. We were 9 pts up at one stage in 1st half due to the 3 goals but common consensus around me is we were about a 3 pt better side at that stage with an element of luck in the goals. I was late coming in and arrived to see Sligo pop over 4 impressive points in a row from play and they looked alright to me.

Would say you broke at least even at midfield . A feature of this aspect of the game was that both sides were poor on their own kickouts.

We have been going hard for the last 2 months , have a very competitive panel situation so it was inevitable we would finish the stronger ( if you park the 2 injury time goals ). liked the cut of your no. 11, a redser who was subbed later on. Would agree that it is hard to understand why Adrian Marren is being flogged at this time of the year.

facethepuckout (Roscommon) - Posts: 184 - 11/01/2018 23:09:49    2067895

Link

Replying To facethepuckout:  "I wouldnt say it was entirely negative from Sligo POV. We were 9 pts up at one stage in 1st half due to the 3 goals but common consensus around me is we were about a 3 pt better side at that stage with an element of luck in the goals. I was late coming in and arrived to see Sligo pop over 4 impressive points in a row from play and they looked alright to me.

Would say you broke at least even at midfield . A feature of this aspect of the game was that both sides were poor on their own kickouts.

We have been going hard for the last 2 months , have a very competitive panel situation so it was inevitable we would finish the stronger ( if you park the 2 injury time goals ). liked the cut of your no. 11, a redser who was subbed later on. Would agree that it is hard to understand why Adrian Marren is being flogged at this time of the year."
I thought the impressive redser was 12 whichever number he looked decent no 9 was decent full back looked ok if he had better help
All the Sligo scores from 30 yards plus in 1st half they tried hard and overall though the score difference was fairly negative ran themselves to the end which I thought would be a positive come the league as they are certainly trying for this new lad not heads down job.
Overall I didn't think they would win division 3 on Wednesday night s performance but could easily see them staying up

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1345 - 12/01/2018 08:35:00    2067907

Link

Replying To facethepuckout:  "I wouldnt say it was entirely negative from Sligo POV. We were 9 pts up at one stage in 1st half due to the 3 goals but common consensus around me is we were about a 3 pt better side at that stage with an element of luck in the goals. I was late coming in and arrived to see Sligo pop over 4 impressive points in a row from play and they looked alright to me.

We have been going hard for the last 2 months , have a very competitive panel situation so it was inevitable we would finish the stronger ( if you park the 2 injury time goals ). liked the cut of your no. 11, a redser who was subbed later on. Would agree that it is hard to understand why Adrian Marren is being flogged at this time of the year."
Apart from a little gym work little was done in November. Things only picked up in December, 3 challenges and 2 A v B games to get our panel into decent shape for the NFL this year as lets be honest we were way off the pace for Div 1 last year.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2197 - 12/01/2018 16:46:27    2067989

Link

O Hara has come out saying that to build for the future we might have to spend a year in Div 4. That would be totally unacceptable in my opinion and something O Hara would never tolerate in his playing days. Is this to be taken as an excuse for the reluctance of players from his managed team to commit to Sligo. Does he want his players exclusively for himself to go for 3 in a row and another tilt at Connacht?

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 652 - 18/01/2018 12:22:29    2069063

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "O Hara has come out saying that to build for the future we might have to spend a year in Div 4. That would be totally unacceptable in my opinion and something O Hara would never tolerate in his playing days. Is this to be taken as an excuse for the reluctance of players from his managed team to commit to Sligo. Does he want his players exclusively for himself to go for 3 in a row and another tilt at Connacht?"
Thats a very confused rant there Eoinog. You seem to be suggesting that O'Hara has persuaded the Tourlestrane players not to play for Sligo and to dedicate themselves to playing for the club instead. Very confused logic there.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 259 - 18/01/2018 14:21:33    2069086

Link