Leitrim Forum

Leitrim v Roscommon May 22nd

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I'd admire Gazpats confidence he feels he is as good as anyone else in club football in dublin. I've played against carraigallen and watched them enough over the last few years and in my opinion there were better players than him on the carraigallen team let alone Oliver Plunketts or Ballyboden etc .

He wants games games games but is on record as stating he doesn't believe in a b championship so maybe more games against Mayo Galway Roscommon kerry cork etc will that improve leitrim football hammering after hammering?

I agree leitrim need more games but against counties in a similar position to ourselves.

The GPA structure the players in leitrim seem to be pushing my understanding from memory and I'm open to correction is that teams are seeded, so you could potentially be in a group with Dublin Cork Tipperary and Leitrim, I personally think leitrim would go backwards in a system like that.

We need a competitive secondary competition with the perk of getting to croke park competing for silverware.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 26/05/2016 09:15:00    1858717

Link

Replying To Square_B:  "If that's the case Harleys, we might as well give up. That's some attitude to have..... Instead it we would be better off asking ourselves what we can do to help the players achieve their goals. Leitrim football is going nowhere unless everyone gets behind the team and by everyone I mean clubs, supporters and the county board. Everyone needs to do more. It's tough enough already for a footballer to practically give up their life to play football.

Also, Croke Park could greatly assist with resources. How in gods name is Leitrim supposed to compete with the financial resources that the likes of Dublin have? They are one step off being professional. That being said, we also need to help ourselves but you can only go to the same pot in the county so many times. Also, I hear people giving out about the county board, those people need to step up to the plate and get involved or otherwise nothing will certainly change. It can be done. Things can change. But nothing will change if no one is prepared to get stuck in."
No Square B with your attitude we might as well give up. All get behind the team, clubs to do more, bla bla bla. same old same old. We need a new tier two championship where we can compete and have a chance, this will increase players interest, improve clubs interest in the county set up and hopefully in turn new delegates for the county board. The way it is now we are set up for a hammering every year in Connaught and if we even dream of beating Roscommon, Mayo or Galway in a Connaught championship anytime soon we better wake up and apologise.

The county board again have to take a lot of flack for the way they run the club fixtures and the lack of respect shown for clubs every year. Leitrim clubs have played 4 league games yet Donegal have played 7 or 8 rounds. We need lots and lots of football at a high level early in the year. If we had 8 league games played so far we could run of the group stages of the championship in June/July have quarters/semis in august and Finals in early September. Everyone would benefit from this, The county players benefit by having a few high intensity club championship games before the back door game, as good as any training. The clubs feel respected by not having to hold off for weeks and weeks with no games. The Club championship is played in the summer with the good weather and when it should be played. The final can be held in early September with the replay if needed played in mid September so would put an end to playing championship games in October, this should never happen in Leitrim. The championship winners have a full month to prepare for a Connaught game rather than a week or two which would improve our chances in Connaught. The players that are knocked out of the championship have an extra months recovery to prevent burn out and live their lives.

Please tell me you agree with this as I think the county board need to make these changes! One thing I have been harping on about for years is the fixtures and how poorly they are structured. I wish the county board would seek the clubs help with this, the secetary of the co board could email every club in December asking each club to come up with a proposed fixture structure that may improve the club & county set up and the county board can go through the proposed structures from the clubs and see whats the best for us. I think by working together this way improvements can be made.
Now I just wish there was a member of the county board reading this to apply these changes

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 26/05/2016 10:44:06    1858761

Link

Simple question lads?? Was the best players in county playing for leitrim last weekend?? I would say NO..........no too many other counties that happens......

coldfeet (Leitrim) - Posts: 53 - 26/05/2016 11:57:45    1858815

Link

I think its fair to say that Spuds Reynolds and Luis Mulligan should spent less time tweeting and the likes and concentrate on their football. Both lads performed well below their standards on Sunday. Let the manager do the talking lads.

Leitrim needs leaders not likes!

Steady_Eddie (Cavan) - Posts: 75 - 26/05/2016 12:34:04    1858853

Link

Replying To harleys:  "No Square B with your attitude we might as well give up. All get behind the team, clubs to do more, bla bla bla. same old same old. We need a new tier two championship where we can compete and have a chance, this will increase players interest, improve clubs interest in the county set up and hopefully in turn new delegates for the county board. The way it is now we are set up for a hammering every year in Connaught and if we even dream of beating Roscommon, Mayo or Galway in a Connaught championship anytime soon we better wake up and apologise.

The county board again have to take a lot of flack for the way they run the club fixtures and the lack of respect shown for clubs every year. Leitrim clubs have played 4 league games yet Donegal have played 7 or 8 rounds. We need lots and lots of football at a high level early in the year. If we had 8 league games played so far we could run of the group stages of the championship in June/July have quarters/semis in august and Finals in early September. Everyone would benefit from this, The county players benefit by having a few high intensity club championship games before the back door game, as good as any training. The clubs feel respected by not having to hold off for weeks and weeks with no games. The Club championship is played in the summer with the good weather and when it should be played. The final can be held in early September with the replay if needed played in mid September so would put an end to playing championship games in October, this should never happen in Leitrim. The championship winners have a full month to prepare for a Connaught game rather than a week or two which would improve our chances in Connaught. The players that are knocked out of the championship have an extra months recovery to prevent burn out and live their lives.

Please tell me you agree with this as I think the county board need to make these changes! One thing I have been harping on about for years is the fixtures and how poorly they are structured. I wish the county board would seek the clubs help with this, the secetary of the co board could email every club in December asking each club to come up with a proposed fixture structure that may improve the club & county set up and the county board can go through the proposed structures from the clubs and see whats the best for us. I think by working together this way improvements can be made.
Now I just wish there was a member of the county board reading this to apply these changes"
So a 2 tier championship is going to change all of the above??? Stop talking through your hat. The players don't want to play in a B championship.... it has been said many times. None of the above will change attitudes at county level. I can tell you now, if clubs are getting it hard to get people involved you can be damm sure it's harder to get people involved at County Level. We all know what the issues are surrounding fixtures etc. As I've said nothing will change as long as there's hurlers on the ditch. It's time for people get off the ditch, stop talking and do something. The annual county convention is the place to start. Assuming you are a member of a club, you and many others are free to attend. Complaining about people doing nothing is about as productive as complaining about Irish weather......

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 124 - 26/05/2016 12:47:16    1858863

Link

Replying To coldfeet:  "Simple question lads?? Was the best players in county playing for leitrim last weekend?? I would say NO..........no too many other counties that happens......"
No the best players were not on the field. I can think of at least 5 players that should be starting ahead of the lads that played that are not even on the squad

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 26/05/2016 13:10:51    1858875

Link

Would it be right for st osnats to play mohill seniors in the first round of the championship? It would not, neither team would learn anything out of that. No disrespect to st osnats they are a small club but leitrim at present are the st osnats of inter county football.
There is an arrogance out there that a secondary competition is below us, two connacht titles in over 100 years, it's misplaced arrogance in my opinion.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 26/05/2016 14:27:23    1858907

Link

Leitrim haven't won a championship game in Carrick since 2000 lads, yet here we are with the same excuses. " He wasn't on the panel" etc. Is Gary Reynolds to fault for that or Shane Ward. We have a horrible shower of fans when the chips are down that become very visible on sites like this. There wasn't a whimper out of most of the posters before the game. Now they are all on here having a go at everyone.

Our clubs need games. Our league needs re structuring before any inter county structures are changed.

ball girl (Leitrim) - Posts: 194 - 26/05/2016 14:29:55    1858910

Link

Replying To harleys:  "No the best players were not on the field. I can think of at least 5 players that should be starting ahead of the lads that played that are not even on the squad"
No the best players as not playing for the County team, everybody knows this. This is for different reasons, not able/willing to commit, not interested in putting in the required effort needed, bad experiences in county teams previously etc.... yet I'd go as far as to say that you could easily pick a team from the rest of the county that would beat the team that took the field for Leitrim on Sunday

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 430 - 26/05/2016 14:33:17    1858911

Link

Moreinu your all giving out on here about managers and all this and I'm the same saying get rid a ward because he is no more than a club manager at best, and barney and George were good along with hagan, but if breen and dug dale ddidn't want themselves in paper they would of ran the 4 lads for 3 weeks and make them run till they dropped then let them join rest a the team they wudnt a drank again, but kicking them off it wen it was a chance to get connaught final and play in croke park against cavan that year if I'm not mistaken would of lifted this county and Brought football in it on ten years but we kick them off it and get bet by a London team that Leitrim always beat, so dug dale and breen are as much to blame as county board, look it my opinion they were the start a the rot, why is it only Leitrim that's in papers for kicking lads of a panel!Shane quinn very good player the same this year, if Leitrim would ever learn keep things in house it would be a start!! Get our James clancy a manor over our under age structure aswell, he loved in dublin and is one a best forward and most committed lLeitrim ever had

Celticmanor (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 26/05/2016 14:50:19    1858928

Link

Square B you are a great example of the typical poor attitude. You want change but when changes are proposed you jump up and down complaining about suggestions and shooting good ideas down. You say the players don't want a B championship, but ow do you know? you have heard the opinions of two or three players who consider themselves celebs on social media before big games. what about the other 25 or so players on the panel and the other club lads that wont commit as they don't want to train all year to be humiliated.

Heres a question for you all. If you were a good club player in Leitrim and had potential to play county why would you train from October to june most nights of the week travelling up and down the county and sacrificing your social and family life to eventually get hammered by a division 1 team in the championship. A few euros travel expense money and a hot meal after training isn't worth the effort. If lads were playing in a championship where lets say we have a group with Clare, Wexford and Antrim and the top two teams go through then lads would get at least 3 championship games, all winnable and the prospect winning something and having a sense of pride in our county team.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 26/05/2016 15:07:36    1858937

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "No the best players as not playing for the County team, everybody knows this. This is for different reasons, not able/willing to commit, not interested in putting in the required effort needed, bad experiences in county teams previously etc.... yet I'd go as far as to say that you could easily pick a team from the rest of the county that would beat the team that took the field for Leitrim on Sunday"
leitrim4sam, finally a poster that talks sense! Phew thought I was the only one! Yes I agree with what you said 100%

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 26/05/2016 15:10:50    1858940

Link

Replying To harleys:  "Square B you are a great example of the typical poor attitude. You want change but when changes are proposed you jump up and down complaining about suggestions and shooting good ideas down. You say the players don't want a B championship, but ow do you know? you have heard the opinions of two or three players who consider themselves celebs on social media before big games. what about the other 25 or so players on the panel and the other club lads that wont commit as they don't want to train all year to be humiliated.

Heres a question for you all. If you were a good club player in Leitrim and had potential to play county why would you train from October to june most nights of the week travelling up and down the county and sacrificing your social and family life to eventually get hammered by a division 1 team in the championship. A few euros travel expense money and a hot meal after training isn't worth the effort. If lads were playing in a championship where lets say we have a group with Clare, Wexford and Antrim and the top two teams go through then lads would get at least 3 championship games, all winnable and the prospect winning something and having a sense of pride in our county team."
Harleys.... what are you scuttering about? You're the one giving out about this, that and the other. Not even coherent at that.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 124 - 26/05/2016 15:22:17    1858950

Link

Replying To Square_B:  "Harleys.... what are you scuttering about? You're the one giving out about this, that and the other. Not even coherent at that."
square B leave it there so. We will do the same thing next year so and we will win the all ireland

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 26/05/2016 15:41:35    1858974

Link

Think Ward has to go- I think his tactics are very negative and playing our best forward as a sweeper really does not make sense. We are missing an Enda Williams type player who feeds good decent ball from the half back line into the half forward/full forward line. The balls into the forward line were the worst I have ever seen.

DamoK (Leitrim) - Posts: 50 - 26/05/2016 16:49:10    1859008

Link

Firstly, I hope we get a good competitive draw in the qualifiers and it in Carrrick. The management and team both put in serious work and deserve one day out with a win/performance. No doubt many of them will have been very down this week whether we agree with their decisions, play, effort or not.
Secondly after we get knocked out I do feel its for the best that there is a change of management hopefully with someone that can inspire players but has the CV to back it up which unfortunately as good as a coach Shane Ward is at the moment he is not cut out for county Management and thats on the county board for selecting him which is not his fault.
However, many of his decisions have to be questioned, at times it felt like any player from Manor would be called upon ahead of teams from the rest of the county as controversial as that sounds. His treatment of young Quinn was wrong even though the player must take serious responsibility. He was the one player who had seriously kicked on from last year and its a shame he wasnt involved because he would have easily got in the half back line. The managers comments this week I also felt were disrespectful and it seemed as if he was trying to absolve himself from all blame and putting it all on the players which was naive and cant be good for morale. For the future every club in Leitrim should be made put forwards ideas for improving the county team and a panel should be put together featuring former players/managers and an outside influence to asses them and to set a template to move forward. Through the media, GPA and the county board the plan for underage coaching which the county board are looking for funding off the GAA for must be forced through as it seems like the best way to progress.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 26/05/2016 18:56:42    1859084

Link

Can't say i was surprised by the result , we've been poor for several years now , but the fact we were hammered by a understrength Roscommon team playing in second gear is very demoralising. Here are a few points id like to make just personal opinions on my part;

1. Tactically we were awfully naive, its all well and good having men back but they have to be closing off space and tracking runners from deep, none of which happened on sunday we had roscommon walking through for easy scores the goal been a prime example. We sacrificed our best forward Kevin conlon to play this role complete madness. It seemed to me we had no idea how to play this system as roscommon either burst through the centre at ease or hit donie shine with the high ball from which he had a field day on a much smaller man isolated one on one with a team with a decent defensive system would not allow this happen regularly we were very naively set up and it didnt change at all during the game. Management to blame here

2. I don't like criticising players who i know put in a massive effort and all credit to them for that but our senior players apart from conlon and Maguire didn't stand up last Sunday. Our captain already had a talking to for a lazy tackle should never have put himself in the position where he had to pull a man down and get a black card the two lads who got reds just total indiscipline and definitely Sweeney is experienced enough to know better. Our midfield is capable of much better than that but it's been a long time since weve seen a big game from them we were cleaned out by a supposedly weak rossie midfield on sunday. Emlyn hasn't been in great form since he returned and s mc dermott had him on the back foot all day. With most of our key players not playing at all well we had no chance. Players need to look at themselves there.

3. It was infuriating how often we put high ball in on small forwards and continued it despite it never working i was sitting beside management and they never shouted in to stop it or put one of our midfielders in there if they wanted to persist with the high ball in. No plan in the forward line at all from what i can see. Management have to take the blame for that

4. Other posters say there is a team out there in leitrim not involved in the present set up that could beat present team name it so? Outside of conor beirne , fergal clancy , wayne mc keon and mark plunkett, all who are not involved due to various reasons who else is there?

5. I do believe we're getting there with underage system but we started a long way behind most other counties but i feel the coaching is much better and that standard of players coming into county teams is definitely better it will take a few years to see this at senior level though.

That's my views for what's its worth opinions anyone ?

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 362 - 26/05/2016 19:42:13    1859100

Link

Replying To harleys:  "Square B you are a great example of the typical poor attitude. You want change but when changes are proposed you jump up and down complaining about suggestions and shooting good ideas down. You say the players don't want a B championship, but ow do you know? you have heard the opinions of two or three players who consider themselves celebs on social media before big games. what about the other 25 or so players on the panel and the other club lads that wont commit as they don't want to train all year to be humiliated.

Heres a question for you all. If you were a good club player in Leitrim and had potential to play county why would you train from October to june most nights of the week travelling up and down the county and sacrificing your social and family life to eventually get hammered by a division 1 team in the championship. A few euros travel expense money and a hot meal after training isn't worth the effort. If lads were playing in a championship where lets say we have a group with Clare, Wexford and Antrim and the top two teams go through then lads would get at least 3 championship games, all winnable and the prospect winning something and having a sense of pride in our county team."
Agree. Well said

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 26/05/2016 20:37:30    1859128

Link

Have to say some very good points being made on here by 80% of posters. I have to agree with Harleys and green.and.gold and leitrim1234 on most points they have made. There is alot of negativity on here true but unfortunately there isn't alot to be positive about. i think people on here genuinely care and if leitrim were competitive they would back players and management to the hilt sadly that hasn't been the case in the last few years.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 26/05/2016 21:00:13    1859138

Link

Almost a week later, and there is a sense of shock throughout the county about last Sunday's result. The bookies had a 9 point spread so without the sending offs the lads prob would have held up to that. This was on form the 4th /5th best team on form against the 31st best team so the result wasn't as bad as some suggest. I posted prior to the game we would lose and by a decent margin as we are behind the likes of roscommon in terms of development and investment. This improvement in Roscommons fortunes is enviable but down to hard work by their clubs and co board who have worked in tandem to do what's best for their county.
Back to Sunday:
5 things I learned,
Sweeper as employed by Ward does not work. Can't be convinced otherwise.
Only 3 players on Sunday's performance would make Roscommon team; MaGuire, Flynn and maybe Shane Moran.
The fitness level of Leitrim is not good enough.
Mentally our lads are weak, no psychologist working with them as individuals.
Lastly and this one could cause consternation but the present bunch like a lot of players in recent times only care about themselves. I don't see a team spirit where a player will bust a gut for the cause, bust a gut to help a team mate and lastly no real pride in the jersey they wear. MaGuire being the only obvious one that defies that to me. Lads need to shake off the shackles and see where hard work as a unit might bring them. The winning teams all have parties together but it is when they achieve things not when they constantly lose. I see the present team and football wise they are as good as Roscommon but they never look like pushing on to be better as a collective.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 27/05/2016 12:06:44    1859274

Link