Leitrim Forum

Ways to improve club football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Aughawillan are a credit to their club and county and thoroughly deserved their success this year and well done to them. But unless something drastic is done hammerings like last Sundays will continue every year. Im not saying this will be the answer but its worth looking at. I think amalgamation of clubs something along the lines of those at minor and u 21 level is worth considering would make for a more competitive championship and would improve players of intermediate clubs by playing at a higher level. And play off the intermediate and junior championship as it already. Just an idea now would welcome feedback but something has to change.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 11/11/2014 11:42:32    1671347

Link

Just to give examples of amalgamations Mohill and Eslin and annaduff, bornacoola and gortletteragh, Cloone aughavas and carrigallen, aughawillan drumreilly and aughnasheelan,kiltubrid and ballinamore, st marys and leitrim gaels, Allen gaels and ballinaglera,Melvin gaels Glenfarne drumkeeran, and finally Glencar manor dromahair and st osnats. Again this might not be feasible but its worth debating at least. I know amalgamations are currently not allowed in provincial championships but maybe a motion could be made to change that.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 11/11/2014 12:13:46    1671362

Link

Apologies to fenagh! Fenagh kiltubrid and ballinamore joined together

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 11/11/2014 12:17:28    1671365

Link

Ah go away will you.

Unless the league is made more competitive our club scene will be restricted to a handful of competitive games a year. Division one stay Senior. Division 2 intermediate.

Annaduff and drumreilly will play in div 2 next year. Drumreilly having won two games all year in the league will play senior championship which is nonsense.

Aughawillan were a flash in the pan and anyone who thinks otherwise needs there head checked. They almost got relegated a few weeks ago.

Hudhastings (Leitrim) - Posts: 87 - 11/11/2014 12:50:03    1671386

Link

Club players need to accept and fully carry out the almost inter-county standards of commitment, gym work, training, diet and sacrifices that clubs in successful counties accept and abide by, but here in Leitrim we don't. That's the reality lads. Other counties have a host of clubs that are living by these standards, we are just accepting a brand of half hearted standards and training and as a result playing harmless football.

Perhaps allow amalgamations of junior and intermediate club teams to enter senior championship as they do in Kerry. It works great for them. It exposes these players to higher level of football and would improve them as players and improves the intermediate and junior championship as well. Its hard to pick a good intercounty player at intermediate level and then the first time he experiences senior football is at intercounty level. even clubs who already have a senior team players from their second/third teams could play for these amalgamations. Just a thought.

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 453 - 11/11/2014 13:58:10    1671416

Link

No one really gives damm about the league... it's the Championship players want to win and go on and represent your county. As long as the league and championship seedings remain seperate that will remain the case.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 127 - 11/11/2014 14:29:23    1671433

Link

Well there'd be a hell of a lot more interest in the league if it meant something. I think 2 - 3 years ago I looked at the results at the back of the national newspaper. Results documenting games up and down the country. It was towards the end of the year. League games mainly. There were 4 games postponed in the entire country. One was an u21b hurling game in Limerick. The 3 others were in the county with the lowest population in Ireland, Leitrim.

All because of a dire league and championship structure.

Hudhastings (Leitrim) - Posts: 87 - 11/11/2014 14:42:52    1671443

Link

Amalgamations are in my opinion destroying leitrim football.. How can any club expect to improve if their players are sitting on the sidelines! players improve with games. In some amalgamations the weaker clubs may only have 2 or 3 players playing at this "higher level". Clubs should play on their own merit at what ever standard they are fit for esp at underage, and look at developing players rather than all the focus being on winning. This will increase the numbers that stay on to play at adult level and improve the club as a whole. amalgamations are a quick fix solution. Look at the last few clubs who have had success Manor, Marys, Melvin Gaels and even Dromahair, clubs that have stuck it out by themselves no matter what.

Runningman (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 12/11/2014 13:56:54    1671746

Link

If we leave the structures as they are nothing will change. Something different has to be tried to raise standards.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 12/11/2014 20:08:29    1671846

Link

There is no lack of effort or pride. Unfortunately there is a lack of players, and talented ones at that. We just don't have the numbers playing football in our clubs. The way our leagues are structured doesn't help. County board don't seem to be willing to rethink how competitions are structured.. A lot of old school heads involved who don't want to change. Expect more hammerings at club and county level unfortunately.

coppers.abu (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 12/11/2014 20:24:08    1671852

Link

There are fine footballers playing club football in the county but id agree there is not enough of them in most clubs to reach the standards required against the best teams in connacht. Numbers are declining in most clubs year on year which will make it even harder to compete. Its my opinion that amalgamation of some clubs at least to compete in the senior championship needs to be closely looked at. It works well in counties like Kerry. I know certain players will miss out on senior teams due to this but it would make for a higher standard senior championship and would make intermediate and junior championships stronger.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 13/11/2014 14:56:26    1672004

Link

Kerry only amalgamate intermediate and junior clubs and allow these teams to enter senior championship. The clubs amalgamated still play in their own intermediate or junior championships. For example Mid Kerry reached the Kerry senior football championship final this year, they were made up of the best players from intermediate and junior clubs in Mid Kerry. Thus benefiting not only their senior championship but also exposing these players to senior standard football. Something like this could be worthwhile for us and extend so that even if a club have a senior team then players not on a senior team could play on these amalgamated teams. Example Manors intermediate players could enter senior champ in an amalgamation with Glenfarne/Kilty, Melvin gaels and Osnats even though manor have a senior team already.

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 453 - 13/11/2014 15:43:08    1672025

Link

Two groups of 6 in both intermadiate and senior, 5 group games for each team. Top 2 qualify for the semi finals and bottom 2 into relegation play off finals. 5th team in one group play 6th team from the other group, 2 losers relegated. 2 teams relegated keeps a freshness about the championship. The more games played ensure the quality teams are there at the tail end of the championship. It isn't rocket science.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 868 - 13/11/2014 17:36:35    1672081

Link

The whole championship needs to be looked at. Are the best teams in the senior championship. I wouldn't say so. It's too easy to stay in the senior championship. All you have to do is win one game I.e. The relegation final. That doesn't improve the standard it makes it worse. I'd go as far as saying aughnasheelin , SOH are better teams than bornacoola and Allen Gaels. There needs to be more emphasis on division 1 and how that reflects on the championship.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 262 - 14/11/2014 11:43:46    1672193

Link

Bananapublican walk the walk and submit that motion through your club for Convention so if it makes as much sense. While I think your format has pluses and minuses, the reality is that the current championship format isn't much better than the old one although it still makes far more sense than Longford's for example.

Hopefully the new incoming officers initiate a root and branch clear out of all the county committees, CCC, fixtures etc, and be more receptive and open to exploring ideas and alternative's from clubs. The last thing the county needs is a game of musical chairs at Committee level.

For example, this year alone;

Carrigallen's league revamp proposal hasn't seen the light of day since this time 12 months ago.
The U21 championship is being ran half robin in November ( right format, wrong time).

The Division 3 league isn't even finished yet.

The Division 4 league final was conceded.

For the second time in 3 years a prominent Championship game has been conceded the club in question has escaped without sanction.

The 'Centre of Excellence' is still not completed

There's a lot of things to get right in the boardroom to facilitate the club scene coming right on the pitch.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 325 - 14/11/2014 13:23:37    1672233

Link

Some worrying facts there. Conceding championship game this year was a low point. I wonder if it was a different club would the consequences have been different.

coppers.abu (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 15/11/2014 13:28:30    1672449

Link

Whatever changes happen at the county convention people will have to be patient. The reality is there is no quick fix and its going to take a lot of time effort and change of attitudes and structures to improve things. It can be done though. In the 80s things were as bad as they were now county team doing poorly, clubs happy to win the county title and get handily beaten in connacht, poor standard of club football etc. A couple of good minor and u21 teams came along and with the late tony mc gowan as chairman and pj carroll and john o mahony as managers things changed for the better. It also helped that there was strong club teams like ballinamore ,aughawillan ,allen gaels and carrick all reaching connacht finals in those years. Things can change for the better if we all from county board to club members and supporters pull together for the good of leitrim football.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 15/11/2014 20:15:27    1672545

Link

Anyone know why those U 21 games weren't played at the weekend. Website says games were conceded. Surely they should be played even if result mightn't change who progresses. Thoughts??

coppers.abu (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 24/11/2014 20:15:09    1674704

Link

As I was looking through Ulster Clubs League tables I noticed one huge difference with Leitrim Football, all the teams in the top 3 tiers had played 18 League games. This is compared to a max of 12 games in the League in Leitrim. More games seems to be one way of encouraging good football and by the way forget about the shield. Half the clubs don't want to play in it.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 215 - 26/11/2014 15:40:42    1675040

Link

Now trying to get replies to posts on this website is arduous enough and doesnt make the cut without trying to cut through the jargon of constitutions of county boards to get a motion in and then to try and change mindsets of the clubs represented that change could be good is well beyond my negotiating skills.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 868 - 26/11/2014 15:43:43    1675041

Link