Leitrim Forum

News players for Leitrim Senior Panel 2014

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Any idea of players to add to the panel?
Or even a provisional panel list?

leitrim_lad (Leitrim) - Posts: 15 - 27/08/2013 18:13:54    1469576

Link

Donal Wrynne,John Mulligan and I hear some Conor Farrell lad from St Marys played well yesderday. If Hagan does his stuff right he should contact every club manager and let him send on his best players from the club and go from there. What a about this youg Guackian lad from Leitrim Gaels is he anygood? Need a midfielder badly?

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 30/09/2013 11:56:23    1491833

Link

Wrynn definitely and Conor Farrell would be great additions. Guckian from Leitrim Gaels is raw and inconsistent, on his day is a brilliant fielder and mobile but concentration and hunger lacking badly from his game. Conor McWeeney would be a good addition as would Nicholas and Michael. Young lads full of desire, need a bit of beefing up but that isnt hard done. Mulligan despite a quiet day yesterday, Shane Quinn and Alan McLoughlin have something to offer. Getting Daniel Lowe and Ronan Gallagher back would also be a great boost.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 862 - 30/09/2013 13:26:28    1491945

Link

Felim McHugh from Drumkeerin whats he like? He might be a young lad but heard good reports

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 30/09/2013 13:46:16    1491972

Link

I think all the younger/U21 players being touted for the Senior Panel should remain with the 21's until after that Competiton finishes circa end of March/early April. Then make a decision on who to bring into the Senior Panel, if even only to give them a taste of a Senior Inter County set up and prep them for the panels they will surely be on in the future.

A few players who performed in this year's Championship should definitely be getting a call up by Sean Hagan or put forward by their clubs or however it's going to work so you can imagine all these young players we are talking about will be involved in some way or another.

I just feel it would be counterproductive to take all them U21 lads onto the Senior Panel early at the expense of the U21's.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 321 - 01/10/2013 12:05:31    1492665

Link

any word on who has been called up for trials?

SLM (Leitrim) - Posts: 199 - 15/10/2013 15:54:18    1501191

Link

Not yet slm but having watched the majority of the championship this year I can safely say thatoonly the semi finalists have anything near county standard players

Apart from eslin and a couple of manor lads croal and Maguire

There is 8 or 9 senior clubs mainly rural that hasent anything near a county standard player

To back up my argument I invite names and I will put out names of players from other counties that we could end up facing in a qualifier and see how well your nomination would fair against the competition having to mark big names

After all it s a competitive sport the championship allows top v bottom shouldn't be any excuses

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 15/10/2013 18:49:06    1501307

Link

More dung by 94, from watching a lot of games in the club championship I saw very few players of county standard, but I did see potential in some, unfortunately in Leitrim ,being a realist about it, the player pool is small, the likes of Packie McGarty, Mickey Quinn and Seamus Quinn coming around only happens once in a blue moon.
Where great players don't always guarantee success, a togetherness and a spirit of never giving up, borne out of dedication and a good manager can reap great rewards. We all have opinions who should be in and out but every club has a player that with the right handling could make a decent county player. I saw some who started for Leitrim like a train and never did much after and saw others who were terrible for the longest time but came good with perseverance. We are rock bottom of the heap at the moment, a tough League campaign lies ahead, the away fixtures are tough, Wicklow, Waterford, Clare and London will not be easy tasks and Antrim at home will be a tough one. Patience with the new manager is key. I hope he bloods some of the youngsters I feel have potential but as I stated earlier they are not county standard just yet.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 862 - 16/10/2013 13:26:48    1501611

Link

players that should be looked at IMO:

ST MARYS: conor Farrell, michael mcweeney
MOHILL: john mulligan, shane Quinn, eanna madden
MELVIN GAELS: shane ryan, liam ryan
DRUMKEERAN: felim McHugh,cathal mccawley
FENAGH: Donal wrynne
KILTUBRID: emmet mahon
GORTLETTRAGH: Padraig Gallagher
GLENFARNE: fergal Clancy

also think that bringing back in Wayne McKeon,conor beirne and shane moran is vital for the year
and the likes of Declan Maxwell and ray mulvey back in the panel would be a welcome boost

SLM (Leitrim) - Posts: 199 - 16/10/2013 14:33:33    1501668

Link

i would be a big fan of maxwell but is he not 35? last season v Laois we were crying out for him at 14 to lift some pressure off the backs but didnt have it, his experience would be good around the squad maybe in a coaching capacity, is he still good enough for 20 mins at the end of a game as a different option

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 16/10/2013 16:31:36    1501769

Link

I'd say Declan Maxwell is 31 max., if he has the hunger it would be good to see him back in the fold to see can he add something after his 3/4 years of exile.

Nelson (Leitrim) - Posts: 141 - 16/10/2013 17:13:01    1501797

Link

where is villatown when you need him

if declan is 31 or so get him back, if connor beirne comes back too them pair could wreak havoc on a few defences

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 16/10/2013 19:20:01    1501874

Link

I'm here now! He would be around 31 alright but I doubt if he will return to the county.

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 16/10/2013 20:39:01    1501918

Link

I welcome all the posts re new players etc.It shows the interest in Leitrim GAA

.However some of the suggestions are fanciful,eg finding 5 6ft plus new backs.Are you serious?Also Declan Maxwell 31? Declan has served Leitrim well in the past.

I would much prefer to see a number of committed young players brought in and blooded.

I hope everyone gets behind the new management team and gives them a chance.

Please refain from the hurtful personal attacks as was the norm all Summer.

Nothing wrong with banter!! and Leitrim to take Roscommon in the Hyde!!

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 16/10/2013 20:44:58    1501920

Link

Anyway we should look to the future and not look back! I heard good things about Michael O'Rourke from St Marys. I saw him last year and he was outstanding

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 16/10/2013 20:46:33    1501924

Link

Are you telling me I watched the games with my eyes closed banana?

@ slm I'd agree with some of the players you list but what has Emmet mahon ever done in senior championship to be a county standard player

Andy Moran Bernard brogan colm cooper Stephen o Neill Martin Dunne

These lads are all county standard forwards along with conor Beirne

Ronan Kennedy had a good championship with mohill

Mulvey mcweeneys orourke are ready to step up to the next level

Remember when throwing out names of lads in clubs how many of these forwards from leitrim clubs would actually get to touch the ball if they were marking a Tyrone back in an allireland qualifier

Placed balls don't count as scores in my book because we can alk kick frees so how many of the above named county standard forwards would score from play against 6 Dublin mayo Tyrone or cork backs?

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 17/10/2013 12:01:04    1502124

Link

We can all kick frees 94, you are some boy. I do think you go to games with preconceived notions which is really the same as going to games with your eyes closed. You see what you want to see. What has that list of footballers including Gooch got to do with our predicament. You seem to meander off points rather easily by compiling lists that have no bearing on the subject you start off with. Conor Beirne is potentially a good player, has not done anything of note for the county at senior level yet but to mention him in the same breath as Gooch and Brogan is laughable and even to mention Martin Dunne in the same bracket as those 2 is wrong. Dunne with a few years like this year could earn his way into that league but not from all he has done so far.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 862 - 17/10/2013 13:21:42    1502210

Link

Villatown It is Joe O Rourke I think you are referring to. Good player for sure but needs a little more dedication to the cause to be a county player.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 862 - 17/10/2013 13:29:32    1502214

Link

Conor beirne has not got a chance under the last manager so how can you say he has done nothing,barney did not want him on the pannell to begin with.So let us give him a chance and see how he gets on,under the new manager.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 17/10/2013 13:43:34    1502234

Link

Emmett Mahon is as good a forward as there is in leitrim he's tall, strong, young and a good scorer. Him and Beirne in the full forward line would give us a serious physical edge up front that we have been lacking for years. They both deserve a chance in my opinion

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 436 - 17/10/2013 13:53:32    1502247

Link