Leitrim Forum

Club championship 13

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Divide the m's in 2 lads

Manor and mg are only very average their record in the connacht club championship says it all

5 years and lucky to score never mind win

Bornacoola and the willies ended up at the bottom this year

Kiltubrid beat the bors by 10 or was it 12 points the day of the intermediate semi finals

So probably a midtable championship team

Drumrielly on ny given day could end un in a semi final or a relegation semi final

They are probably the wildest card of the pack

And dont forget gortletteragh got further than manor this year and also beat melvingeals this year

I was at training Friday night Dan well done on your win I didn't do that much running it was a light enough session on account of the big match sunday

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 02/10/2013 10:52:30    1493335

Link

jes mickey quinn u really o hate north leitrim,mc donald and croal have more championship medals in there pocket than any othe person on that county team,so ddont start u have no clue of the game and u will c next year that they will prob add another 1 or two.

supersub3 (Leitrim) - Posts: 6 - 02/10/2013 11:30:12    1493371

Link

congrats to carrick they deserved to win mohill had no belief where carrick have been knockin on the door ,would of been a better final with glencar manor but thats how things go,now to the league mohill to be in the final with manor i think

supersub3 (Leitrim) - Posts: 6 - 02/10/2013 11:33:30    1493377

Link

Fair enough 3 manor lads on last year's leitrim panel have 4 senior championship medals

Im only talking about 3 forwards here not backs before anybody jumps the gun

Them lads had an easy short county year this year and should have been out all fires lit to win another senior championship

But they didn't and haven't done for 2 years now

It happens every team and age is something none of us can reverse

Everyteam gets old

Will these lads and all the Melvin lads or any aughawillan lads be on the county panel next year?

None of us can answer that question YET

If mohill make a league final I wouldnt hesitate in putting money on them to win it

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 02/10/2013 13:06:18    1493508

Link

Fair enough 3 manor lads on last year's leitrim panel have 4 senior championship medals

Im only talking about 3 forwards here not backs before anybody jumps the gun

Them lads had an easy short county year this year and should have been out all fires lit to win another senior championship

But they didn't and haven't done for 2 years now

It happens every team and age is something none of us can reverse

Everyteam gets old

Will these lads and all the Melvin lads or any aughawillan lads be on the county panel next year?

None of us can answer that question YET

If mohill make a league final I wouldnt hesitate in putting money on them to win it

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 02/10/2013 13:07:16    1493510

Link

gaelsboy how is any club lucky to be senior??any one who stays up deserve to because the won their playoff game!!kiltubrid beat ballinamore well in relegation final last year and beat bornacoola by 10 points in relegation SEMI this year,their group had the co.finalists,last years winners and a surprise carrigallen this year!drumreilly were unlucky not to get out of their group...and have always battled well to stay up and on their day can cause any team problems so its very harsh to say both are lucky to still be senior...id say bors and aughawillan would be the lucky ones if anybody is after manor 'b' winning intermediate

SLM (Leitrim) - Posts: 199 - 02/10/2013 13:24:40    1493530

Link

This is my take on where the Senior hierarchy of Leitrim Club Football currently lies. Part 1/2.

1) St. Mary's - Current county champions, and good value for their win over Mohill in the final. They possess a healthy mix of veterans, players in their prime and established (19 - 20 y/o) young players. Should give a good account of themselves in Connacht, possibly challenge Mohill and Dromahaire for a League final place vs Glencar-Manor and contribute numbers to the incoming county Senior & Under 21 panels. Top of the pile and deservedly so.

2) Mohill - Not an automatic second as the knocked off the aristocratic Glencar-Manor on their way to the Senior Championship summit this year, and avoided the traditional implosion we have come to see in the knockout stages in recent years. Have a conveyor belt of young players constantly emerging and will be front runners for a league final place as they lie second in the league with a game in hand on third place St. Mary's. Maintaining their current form in the coming years and seeing how many of their young corps can be genuine match winners at Senior level is the challenge ahead of them.

3) Glencar - Manor - One would be foolish to think they are in regression due to their Quarter Final exit. Many felt it would have been a better County Final had they been playing either of this years finalists, but that could be down to they fact we are used to seeing them in the final in recent times. We will be shown yet that rumours of their demise are being exaggerated, (see: Intermediate Championship 2013) but will still appear in a league final and have plenty of representatives on the incoming county panel. Under 21 A could be a shoot out between themselves and St. Manachan's providing they meet no sooner than the final. Will be looking to re-establish themselves in 2014.

4) Gortletteragh - Built on last year's long awaited Intermediate win with a solid season, navigated themselves to a Senior Semi Final without playing particularly well, and are most likely rueing their first half performance against neighbours Mohill in the Senior Semi final, anything less than the 9 point deficit they faced could have led to a Gortletteragh - St Mary's final. League position perhaps belies ability as the "4 M's" were faced in their first 4 games. Supplemented their season by reaching the Leo Kenny final and Minor and Junior semi final exits shows hunger for progression. Expect Egan and McCrann to have some company on the county panel this winter.

5) Melvin Gaels - Heavy lies the crown proved the mantra for Melvin Gaels this season. Caught in the eye of the storm amid the absence of Emlyn Mulligan, and perhaps a cup winning hangover from 2012, they battled throughout the group stages and showed steel in forcing St. Mary's to a replay but the 6+ points Mulligan could contribute per game, plus other absentees from last years panel were sorely missed. Have a genuine warrior in P. Brennan some young talent emerging (Connolly, McGowan, L. Ryan) and remain a cut above a number of teams in the grade. Will be looking for better in 2014.

6) Carrigallen - A low ranking for Senior semi finalists some might argue, but a convincing win over Kiltubrid, and forcing honest wins out of Melvin Gaels and Mohill seen them to the knockout stages as best placed third team, had another team other than Kiltubrid been in the group relegation may have beckoned but the return of Gary Reynolds this year and some emerging youth from successive Under 21 B winning teams led them to an unexpected win over Allen Gaels in the Quarters. Generally perceived as 'dogged' and 'hard to beat', came up significantly short against St Marys, thereby showing the gulf in class. Not far off Aughawillan & Allen gaels in the grade. Currently joint top of Div 2, a return to Div 1 might signal a resurgence and give something to build on in 2014

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 320 - 03/10/2013 15:25:11    1494575

Link

To SuperSub3 I have nothing against North Leitrim Players. Emlyn Mulligan, Paul Brennan, Darren Sweeney, Paddy Maguire and the much maligned James Glancy have represented Leitrim with great distinction over the last few years. My problem was Leitrim selecting players who were obviously not good enough or for various reasons past their best. As far as I'm concerned the only reason these guys were still on the County Panel was because they were playing for the so called best clubs in Leitrim.
When in their wisdom Breen and Dugdale gutted the County team I could not understand why they didn't call up the likes of Connor Farrell, Clement Cunniffe, Ray Mulvey, Nicholas and Michael Mc Weeney (Daniel Lowe was injured at the time) from Carrick, John Mulligan, Alan Mc loughlin and Shane Quinn from Mohill, Brian Mulvey from Allen Gaels and that young Wynne fellow from Fenagh, Because when it came down to it against London after losing Mc Guire, Sweeney Mulligan and Wynne through injury on top of the South Leitrim 4, The team Leitrim had on the field in my opinion would not have beat the Carrick Senior Team, Who won the County Final last Sunday. Remember the crazy situation where Brian Mc Donald came on for 10 minutes and was so off the pace, He had to replaced again. I can tell You if Nicholas Mc weeney had played against London, There's no chance he would've been off the pace.

mickyquinn (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 03/10/2013 15:29:41    1494586

Link

I second that Mickey Quinn

The names you mention I have named all before and I can't understand why the likes of cunniffe and the mcweeneys weren't on the leitrim team 5 or 6 years ago

When management faced Armagh and calls were made to former players to rejoin there wasno sense of direction.

McDonald was recovering from injury mcweeney was brought in from aughnasheelin after being out for 2 years

Why didn't they contact Carrick or even the joint managers home club mohill and give a few of the county finalists a run

It would have made alot more sense

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 03/10/2013 16:08:27    1494665

Link

the facts are the management thought they could beat london with the panel they had, they underestimated the work being put in over here and didnt heed the warnings and they had plenty, one of them laughed when i said london would take sligo, if that wasnt enough warning to send for re enforcements after the 4 were dropped and sligo result then what was, in my opinion they shouldnt even have been on the line in the armagh game after being unable to put london away over 140 minutes

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 03/10/2013 16:41:25    1494699

Link

Clement Cunniffe was probably worth a run with the county set up 5-6 years back, his pace would really be a problem at inter county level but a whole hearted and smart player overall. Too late now as he is the wrong side of 30 to make a difference. Mulvey and the 2 Mcweeneys are the ones from St Marys I would include, the 2 MCWeeneys would need to beef up a little but fine footballers and Ray Mulvey has shown in the past that he can be very good along with Conor Farrell. McLoughlin, Mulligan and Gallagher will be welcome additions from Mohill, Wrynn from Fenagh, then keep McGuire, Wynne, Beck, Flynn, Brennan,Sweeney, Mulligan get back McKeon, Moran,and the 2 Beirnes (if they toe the line) and Hagan's job doesnt look quite as bad as it did at first. Still a lot to do in a year to make these boys able to compete with the Rossies.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 862 - 03/10/2013 21:01:57    1495020

Link

Does anyone know if the league tables if there tied on points, does it go on score difference or head to head!!

sl4 (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 06/10/2013 18:10:42    1496685

Link

Before I make this point, I first of all want to congratulate St Marys on their Senior Cship win - well deserved as they have been knocking on the door for a while, but some of the more boastful posts recently made (examples below)need to be adressed with regards to something which is a bugbear of mine, namely the bigger town teams amalgamating.

Mickey Quinn "Carrick from No 1 to 20 were really impressive. They fielded 9 under 21s with amazingly only 2 of them being on the County under 21 team this year"

Premium rashers "6 marys starters were u21, 3 of the subs who came on too, and more on the panel"

How therefore with all these fine U21 players do I notice that Kiltoghert Gales are entering the U21 cship. Can St Marys not find 5 or less more players to field an U21 team on their own?

Mattie07 (Leitrim) - Posts: 14 - 07/10/2013 13:53:47    1497075

Link

Mattie mohill could be asked the same question at minor level but they were doing the county a favour by giving lads a game.....

Should the towns be 13 a side if they cant get the numbers? rather than the united nations of parishes? Are players being cherry picked to town teams to the detriment of others?

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 07/10/2013 15:51:20    1497201

Link

St Marys amalgamate with Leitrim Gaels for both minor and under 21, St Marys struggle badly at minor levels for numbers and Leitrim Gaels struggle at under 21 level, so you have to give a little to get a little. Neither amalgamation has worked so far, the under 21s got well beaten by Manor last year and the minors have done nothing either. Hopefully the Under 21s can turn it around this year.

We are still the one parish though!

Nelson (Leitrim) - Posts: 141 - 08/10/2013 10:34:38    1497586

Link

bring back sheemore gaels nelson..............

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 08/10/2013 10:54:10    1497601

Link

Shemore geals ah yes

Mary's won a senior championship that year

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 08/10/2013 13:26:56    1497742

Link

Shemore geals ah yes

Mary's won a senior championship that year

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 08/10/2013 13:28:05    1497745

Link

that set up would suit you 94 seein as you are confused as it is which club you play for

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 185 - 08/10/2013 14:10:24    1497780

Link

Oh im well aware of who I play for geals boy

And banana I don't see your point (2beirnes toe the line)

What do you mean by this?

This is the kind of statment one would hear on a tv3 documentary about gangland

I personally think it's time the county toed the line with both Beirnes

They are talented men dualstars strong skilled and able to carry a team between them and they have more than proven this at all levels in football and hurling

I respect them so does the people of their parish and ssurrounding parishes

I don't see why the rest of ye can't

Talent like that only comes along once in a life time

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 08/10/2013 14:51:07    1497825

Link