Leitrim Forum

Club championship 13

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

i have watched 6 games at home over the summer and i have to agree with the comments above on the standard of refereeing, absolutely shocking from u14 up, as a referee myself i was shocked at some of the calls made in games, i would be hunted from the pitch in london if i made the same calls, but when no one wants to do a job you have to make do with what you have, good club men dont always make good referees

not happy SOH are gone but as said above its a wake up call to all those involved and just shows 15 v 15 anything can happen

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 19/08/2013 15:47:47    1463993

Link

agreed mousemat, some clubs are 3/4 weeks waiting for their playoff, players lose momentum and interest.
perhaps a round of remaining club games could have been thrown in for uninvolved clubs to make up fixture backlogs but that would be doing things properly by the CB.

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 185 - 19/08/2013 17:01:22    1464097

Link

Is it any wonder we are loosing players

And as for the drink culture I don't think it's just a south leitrim thing

We do live in Ireland

Transfers go leor maybe a royal team might win a senior championship next year with a new left half forward

They even have a bar in the club house

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 20/08/2013 09:50:13    1464355

Link

So as regards the weekend coming what does everyone think about the draws for the Senior QFs? Think Mohill and last years champs are on the way out, along with the Annaduff and couldn't call the Allen Gaels V Carrigallen game!?

Familydad89 (Leitrim) - Posts: 32 - 20/08/2013 10:57:04    1464377

Link

Predictions for Senior Quarter Finals:
I think the draw is fantastic and the fact that the supposed 4 favourites are drawn together is good for the championship. I think the likes of Carrigallen, Gortleteragh, Drumshambo and Annaduff will all feel they can make a senior Final
Q1: Drumshambo Vs Carrigallen : I strongly fancy Allen Gaels here. I think the likes of Beirne the 2 Mulveys and Moore off their successful Minor and Under 21 teams have really matured, And Wynne should be back from injury for this one.
Q2 Manorhamilton Vs Mohill : I do actually believe that Manor are beatable this year. But it would take an exceptional team firing on all cylinders to do it. Mohill are not that exceptional team. John Mulligan has really come on for Mohill this year and will play for Leitrim next year, But he has very little help up front, So I can't see where Mohill will get the scores to beat Manor. The Manor defence in their 4 in a row team was virtually impenetrable. But now with Paddy Maguire injured and the likes of the O'Flynns and Kelly not featuring any more, Teams with good forward lines will feel they can get at Manor. The other thing that makes Manor beatable is the almost unstoppable full forward line of Croal,Glancy and Mc Donald for various reasons is not as fearsome as it once was. The Manor fans are saying young Brady is now the man. But is an under 21 going to do the business when it really matters in tough knockout games. I have my doubts. Anyway Mohill won't be good enough to stop Manor as they have consistently failed to deliver when it really matters, despite having loads of talent.

Q3 Melvin Gaels Vs Carrick : This is by far the hardest game to call and there's a real chance it could end in a draw. Melvin Gaels have proven winners in Sheridan, the Brennans, Ryan, Mc Murrow and Mc Gowan and we can be sure they will turn up for war on Saturday. But what Carrick will turn up. The one that dismantled Bornacoola and completely outplayed Manor and Melvin Gaels in the league. Or the who were awful against Aughawillan Conceding 16 points to an average team. I think if Carrick get big performances out of the likes of the 2 Lowes, Cunniffe, Nicky Mc Weeney, James Glancy and Jonathan Cassidy they could well win the game, But I think what ever price the draw is, It's the bet to go for.

Q4 Annaduff Vs Gortleteragh : Annaduff have really turned things around since Moyles came back into the setup. He's really done well with a limited group of players. But Gortleteragh are my dark horses for this senior Championship. I've seen them playing 4 times this year and I'm really impressed with their fitness and speed all over the field. They are also a very physically imposing team and a team no one would want to draw if they get over this quarter final. They have one major flaw and that is sometimes their shot selection is crazy and they can rack up 10 or 15 wides in a game by shooting from stupid positions. If they rectify that they can do what Melvin Gaels did before them and win the senior championship on their first year being promoted. Anyhow I take them to beat a limited Annaduff team

mickyquinn (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 20/08/2013 11:45:31    1464401

Link

I am enclined to agree with mickeyquinn on all results but i do think St. Marys should have plenty for Melvin Gaels despite tehm being defending champions, 4 very interesting games time weekend all of which have the potential to be close games.
We should get value for money this weekend, as long as referees dont ruin games.
I didnt see any intermediate quarter finals but from what I have heart refereeing was awful, that is also wide open now, especially for Dromahair and Eslin who could well find themselves promoted before tehe intermediate final.
My money is on Manor in both now although it would be great to see a new name come to the fore.

20pointhero (Leitrim) - Posts: 85 - 20/08/2013 18:16:48    1464527

Link

Why is the senior championship quarter finals not played in Pairc Sean

Smokie (Leitrim) - Posts: 144 - 20/08/2013 21:41:34    1464726

Link

I would agree with previous 2 posts

And if Mary's and gortletteragh didn't meet in a semi it would make for a great county final

In the intermediate now is drumahaires chance to move up

They are playing division 1 football long enough and beating senior teams

If they don't take the bull by the horns and skull him this year they never will

Horrid shock to me and everyone else to see Soh out of the intermediate champ

But as a number of previous posters said let the football be played. Not the referees

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 20/08/2013 21:50:01    1464741

Link

Dromahair chance of moving up! That's the last team in intermediate I'd be putting my money on! What about glenfarne, you know the team that bet them in the first round! What about manor who clearly out classes balinamore!

sl4 (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 21/08/2013 09:15:04    1464804

Link

Gaelsboy are we surprised by our CB at all, I said some very tame things in that last comment but they weren't published, every other county can run games off and then all teams out of the championship contest league games (if they haven't already played each other) 4 teams playing in Drumshanbo this weekend and nothing in Carrick, as far as I know Drum only has two proper dressing rooms then the two old ones which are very small, no parking available for all the players never mind any supporters, again great planning by the CB!!! Anyway for the weekend, Manor should have too much but wouldn't be surprised with a Mohill shock, probably too soon for their young team! Mary's to beat Melvin Gaels, not near as good as last year, Gort to beat a poor Annaduff although they will fight to the end and Carrigallen (if their injured players mainly G. Reynolds are fully fit) to beat Allen Gaels with few points to spare, these young lads everyone is talking about were really poor this year in my opinion and don't look fit, A. Wynne huge help if he's back

MouseMat (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 21/08/2013 09:55:31    1464846

Link

sl4 the idea of Dromahair or Eslin having a great chance is that Manor's second team canot be promoted meaning should their game v Glenfarne/Drumkeerin go with form and they win it the promotion final at least is the game between Dromahair and Eslin, its hypothetical but very possible.
As for no games in Pairc Sean I am actually delighted by it, yes teh parking is much better, there are great dressing rooms but the playing surface is way behind the likes of Drumshanbo, Leitrim Village, Ballinamore even Drumkeerin. If there was better facility for spectators St. Marys pitch directly behind Pairc Sean (usually used for warm ups) is actually a much better playing surface.
Anyway may the best teams win lets hope for a great senior championship to lift the gloom from the county team!

20pointhero (Leitrim) - Posts: 85 - 21/08/2013 10:50:57    1464908

Link

You think Drumkeeran has a better playing surface than Pairc Sean. Yea, good lad.

Jimmy_McNulty (Leitrim) - Posts: 56 - 21/08/2013 12:37:31    1465028

Link

Love the sarcasm jimmy! I agree, drumkeerin is one of the worst playing surfaces in the county!

20 point hero- is that a definite, by reading the Leitrim observer, it's seems as if no senior team get relegated!
And I quote "manors second string would have a huge consequence on ths senior relegation battle-expect a lot if teams to be cheering on manor over the next few weeks!"

sl4 (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 21/08/2013 13:23:19    1465064

Link

Jimmy- just my opinion Pairc Sean to me isnt a good surface, Im not suggesting it is by any means great but Drumkeerin is a nicer pitch to play on.
sl4- i had always presumed that would be the way, seems a bit too easy for the teams scrapping it out in senior doesnt it? you are most likely correct though I dont know for sure, I had assumed that at very least there would be a play off between relegation losers and intermediate runners up

20pointhero (Leitrim) - Posts: 85 - 21/08/2013 14:52:51    1465136

Link

Was Going to leave a post about quarters but not for first time mickeyquinn has hit nail on the head, excellent breakdown and have to agree on your predictions , looking forward to good weekend of action

Robroy1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 119 - 21/08/2013 15:17:19    1465160

Link

20pointhero- I see what your saying but it's also very easy to get to get promoted via runner up! And if it happened, would either team be that happy being promoted that way! Ye I think your right in saying that a match between runner up and relegation winner [of that's what you would call them] would be the only fairest option!

sl4 (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 21/08/2013 16:08:27    1465207

Link

Pairc Sean has a level playing surface where as the pitch in Drumkeeran is built on a hill. Would seem a basic requirement when choosing a ground to play on that the pitch is level.

Jimmy_McNulty (Leitrim) - Posts: 56 - 21/08/2013 18:23:42    1465321

Link

The slope away from the stand into the corner by the new rooms in drumkeerin is a joke. I thought the slope in carrigallen was bad. And as for parking in drumkeerin. The less said the better. Carrick, Ballinamore, drumshanbo and cloone are best for championship matches.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 257 - 21/08/2013 21:48:44    1465455

Link

Drumkeerin is one of the worst fields in the county ,no parking and still 2 matches are played there most weekends what a joke.Why can we not play our games in cloone ballinamore or carrick they are the best pitches in leitrim.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 22/08/2013 13:40:06    1465737

Link

Its a pleasure to play championship matches in Drumkeerin instead of having to fill the car with diesel and have a lunch box of hang sandwiches for the round trip to Cloone, Ballinamore or Carrick!

MulletsRock (Leitrim) - Posts: 88 - 22/08/2013 14:41:36    1465799

Link