Leitrim Forum

Leitrim Inter-County 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "Fed up with Leitrim losing heavily. Posters should make their views known @leitrimgaa
This can't go on. No other County teams suffer the beatings Leitrim underage teams get. What is going on? Understand it was a severely depleted Leitrim against a full strength Longford but surely Leitrim's game plan should have adapted accordingly. At full strength there are 11 of last years U20 eligible . This has to stop before we destroy these young lads facing into not just defeat but a demolition every time they pull on the Leitrim jersey . It's not looking good for the Seniors either. According to Terry 11 first choice out against Roscommon tomorrow with some players suffering long term injuries the latest being O'Rourke. Also why was a stag party arranged for a football weekend when the FBD game schedule was published months ago? There may be a valid reason.No Mohill players available as a result. Am really nervous about the coming season- a bright spot is the revival of the Leitrim Ladies team who I predict will win promotion and have a lash at the Intermediate title."
Disappointing result today, hopefully we can get lads back and put in a good show against mayo. Would be good to see a youthful Leitrim team tomorrow put in a display versus the rossies, good experience for them anyway
Good to hear Leitrim ladies are back . What division are they in ?

Leitrim1994 (Leitrim) - Posts: 11 - 11/01/2020 19:06:59    2258963

Link

Have to admit I'm not good at being up to date with the underage teams, but understand how important these teams are. I heard we have a good minor team this year?? Can anyone confirm..??

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 453 - 11/01/2020 21:16:09    2258986

Link

Sorry to make things worse for ye but reports on here that it was a full strength Longford team are wide of the mark. 7 first reamers missing and one first teamer brought on from the bench in the second half. We beat Sligo handy last week as well but I don't think that is because we are an excellent side.... I think it reflects more on how bad Sligo and Leitrim are.

Spinx (Longford) - Posts: 881 - 12/01/2020 00:42:05    2259020

Link

It's fairly obvious who the problem lies with has to be head of coaching in the county. The 3 full time coaching officers can not be judged for at least another 6-7 years as they most of there work is from u13 down and tbf seem to be doing good work.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 12/01/2020 01:34:57    2259022

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "Have to admit I'm not good at being up to date with the underage teams, but understand how important these teams are. I heard we have a good minor team this year?? Can anyone confirm..??"
No we don't

hylandfan (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 12/01/2020 02:42:39    2259025

Link

Would like to wish Leitrim Management and Player the best of luck for the year ahead. I think michael mc weeney is a massive loss as a player but more so as a leader to this team.

eyesinshy16 (Leitrim) - Posts: 4 - 12/01/2020 09:21:00    2259034

Link

Replying To eyesinshy16:  "Would like to wish Leitrim Management and Player the best of luck for the year ahead. I think michael mc weeney is a massive loss as a player but more so as a leader to this team."
A poor display here in Carrick on Shannon. I don't think the Leitrim management have got what it will take to stay in Division three. The stag party I don't think would make any difference. Roscommon are miles ahead of Leitrim. I wouldn't like to think what the final score will be. Enda Smith sin binned might help Leitrim get a few scores, which they need badly. Yesterday was bad for the Under20s but today could be worse. Going into the league after this display won't help. Nothing positive at all to take from this game.

moreinu (Leitrim) - Posts: 20 - 12/01/2020 14:37:45    2259084

Link

Replying To moreinu:  "A poor display here in Carrick on Shannon. I don't think the Leitrim management have got what it will take to stay in Division three. The stag party I don't think would make any difference. Roscommon are miles ahead of Leitrim. I wouldn't like to think what the final score will be. Enda Smith sin binned might help Leitrim get a few scores, which they need badly. Yesterday was bad for the Under20s but today could be worse. Going into the league after this display won't help. Nothing positive at all to take from this game."
I think Terry needs more time to develop the sides. Am I assuming that you are questioning his managerial ability? He got us into this fbd semi final after all

hylandfan (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 12/01/2020 14:48:45    2259088

Link

Replying To moreinu:  "A poor display here in Carrick on Shannon. I don't think the Leitrim management have got what it will take to stay in Division three. The stag party I don't think would make any difference. Roscommon are miles ahead of Leitrim. I wouldn't like to think what the final score will be. Enda Smith sin binned might help Leitrim get a few scores, which they need badly. Yesterday was bad for the Under20s but today could be worse. Going into the league after this display won't help. Nothing positive at all to take from this game."
The fact, if it is indeed true, that an inter-county team is short of players due to a stag party is evidence of a panel that has no respect for their manager or supporters.

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 416 - 12/01/2020 14:57:26    2259091

Link

Replying To martinjoe:  "The fact, if it is indeed true, that an inter-county team is short of players due to a stag party is evidence of a panel that has no respect for their manager or supporters."
It is early January. They obviously were given permission to go. It's a little step above a challenge game. In the scheme of things it's irrelevant apart from trying out lads. Survival in division three is the priority this year.

hylandfan (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 12/01/2020 15:02:12    2259092

Link

Stag or no stag, we'll be doing to even get a point in Division 3 this year. Utterly depressing stuff.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 127 - 12/01/2020 15:34:30    2259096

Link

Replying To hylandfan:  "It is early January. They obviously were given permission to go. It's a little step above a challenge game. In the scheme of things it's irrelevant apart from trying out lads. Survival in division three is the priority this year."
That was very embarrassing for us. Are we in the middle of a training regime or what??

Shesdueanyday (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 12/01/2020 15:46:50    2259104

Link

Replying To Square_B:  "Stag or no stag, we'll be doing to even get a point in Division 3 this year. Utterly depressing stuff."
Think it's time to have a good long hard look at the hyland regime. We are no further on than when he came on board three years ago. Something needs to be done or we'll be left behind the other teams.

Shesdueanyday (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 12/01/2020 15:49:28    2259106

Link

Replying To martinjoe:  "The fact, if it is indeed true, that an inter-county team is short of players due to a stag party is evidence of a panel that has no respect for their manager or supporters."
Mayo man talking about players respect for a manager?? Similar to the airline companies lecturing about climate change!!!

Shesdueanyday (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 12/01/2020 15:55:50    2259107

Link

Embarrassing today, knew we were in for a tough day today but never thought it would be that bad. And a mainly second string Roscommon team apart from a few regulars. Maybe we should have what Donegal did and pull out of the game because what happened today won't do us any good. Looking like we'll be the whipping boys in division 3 unfortunately

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 12/01/2020 16:02:06    2259108

Link

Replying To Shesdueanyday:  "Think it's time to have a good long hard look at the hyland regime. We are no further on than when he came on board three years ago. Something needs to be done or we'll be left behind the other teams."
Hyland can't magic players out of thin air or force players to commit. And god knows commitment is a full time job for players these days. I think he's done a good enough job considering the resources he has at hand. I don't know where GAA is going to be counties like Leitrim in 10 years time if this continues. Perhaps it's time to consider a draft system where perhaps a max of 3 players from stronger counties who cant get their game get to throw their lot in. I don't know. But what I do know is our nearest neighbours, Longford, have consistently showed over the last decade that smaller counties can be competitive and the answer to these issues can't be directly placed at the door of the current management team or the current panel who are trying their best.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 127 - 12/01/2020 16:15:19    2259111

Link

Replying To Shesdueanyday:  "Think it's time to have a good long hard look at the hyland regime. We are no further on than when he came on board three years ago. Something needs to be done or we'll be left behind the other teams."
We are in Division 3 for the first time in 15 years. So it would indicate we are further along than any other time in that period.

bugsie (Leitrim) - Posts: 191 - 12/01/2020 16:33:53    2259121

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "Have to admit I'm not good at being up to date with the underage teams, but understand how important these teams are. I heard we have a good minor team this year?? Can anyone confirm..??"
Decent but , if they had young caolan Quigley in it they would be on Dublin's tier. Legend has it his kick-outs never made it past the 20. Oooo rah feeling a bite tired at the moment gtg

Rahrahfeelingabittiredatm (Leitrim) - Posts: 6 - 12/01/2020 17:03:06    2259125

Link

Dress it up anyway you want but that was an absolute shambles from start to finish. Same yesterday with the 20's. Senior players that went on a stag have zero respect for the management team and the rest of the squad and there is no other way around that.
It's also the worst possible preparation for the 1st round of the National league, look across the board at other teams this weekend in division 2/3 and 4 they are starting near full length teams.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 88 - 12/01/2020 17:58:19    2259143

Link

That was woeful. Forget about the team, large amount of them wont make the league panel. The worry which has been clear for some time now is the lack of a few differnt game plans from the training ground.
1) kickouts ...whats the game plays we have for our kickouts to win primary possession ? None.
2) In possesion ...whats the game plays when we win primary possesion ? Kick it over and back ?
3) Without possesion ... no sweeper system. No marking. Is our defensive plan zonel ?
Its junior stuff sending out lads with no plan.
The loss does not worry me what worries me is no sign of game plans at all. If you seen a gameplan going wrong well at least we are trying things.
Imagine conceeding all them 1st half goals without trying to rectify by introducing a sweeper ! Well we seen it today.
Give our forwards a chance with a gameplan so they have the upper hand on there markers when the ball is coming in. If a forward knows wing back x will kick it in to the left corner forward position etc well he has huge advantage on marker.
Then we play a full forward 6ft 4 and fail to kick one ball into him with the new advanced mark!
I could go on. Finally a stag for many of the 1st team 2 weeks before league opener is poor ..poor on manager or players who went to it ..im not sure. Maybe both ! I cant but fear for year ahead.
Ah sure we are leitrim ! Not our fault. We will have some excuses im sure as always. Maybe our new county board will take the big step and prioritise the clubs ! Now that would be something !!!!

TwoFeet (Leitrim) - Posts: 22 - 12/01/2020 18:00:12    2259145

Link