Leitrim Forum

Leitrim Inter-County 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "We are by no means gone yet lads, it's very very complicated acted what can happen in the last two rounds and I stand open to correction here. Head to head rule applies but only if no more than two teams are level on points.

Provided louth lose again which IS going to happen then -- If we lost next week and tipp win they join offaly and derry on 5 points ( providing derry lose too). We then enter the final round needing to beat tipp and hope offaly get at least a point and derry get a result in one of their last two games to leave us and tipp the only teams level on 5 points and we trump them on the head to head and stay up.

Of course offaly could win easily too against tipp which then we just need to beat tipp in carrick regardless of our result against down provided derry pick up at least a point in one of their final two games. Again this would leave both us and tipp the only teams level on 5 and we stay up on head to head. One of these scenarios is the most likely way we will stay up.

Less likely but the best way to stay up is to win our last two games and we are safe although our chances of beating down in newry are slim, lose against down there are several scenarios involving needing results to go our way between derry and offaly to stay up.

If either offaly or derry lost their last two games and we lose against down we cannot stay up I think unless we beat tipp by a huge huge score. It'll all become clear after the next round. Be some occasion in carrick with that tipp game lads!!"
Your right on all points except I think if Offaly beat Tipperary, it's a winner takes all game in Carrick doesn't matter what any other team does. Good result today, great to see Ryan O'Rourke and Mark Plunkett back playing and playing well, we need to be looking to get a result in Down in case other results don't go our way and we end up in a 3 way tie on 5 points and in that case we will probably go down on scoring difference. We will be doing well to get a result against Tipperary who have been unlucky in some of their games and probably should be higher in the table, however if we were guaranteed to stay up if we beat Tipperary at home id have took that at the start of the league. I really hope the lost point in Derry doesn't cost us in the end. Well done to the lads today they really stood up when needed.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 01/03/2020 21:55:11    2271401

Link

Well done to all players today. A really good win and a solid performance. I don't understand the negativity in some comments this week, some people would appear happy to go back to div 4. That mentality is a waste of time. The beauty of right now is our div 3 destiny is in our own hands. I don't think we have gone backwards. I think we are playing better football this year. It is different, but that's adapting to different teams and standards. Stsyingnin div 3 is so important and being able to push on next year we have to do to win a Connaught title in future. I'd be confident that we can get a result in Down. Play it game by game lads. Keep up the good work!

LeitrimLover94 (Leitrim) - Posts: 6 - 01/03/2020 22:59:05    2271443

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Your right on all points except I think if Offaly beat Tipperary, it's a winner takes all game in Carrick doesn't matter what any other team does. Good result today, great to see Ryan O'Rourke and Mark Plunkett back playing and playing well, we need to be looking to get a result in Down in case other results don't go our way and we end up in a 3 way tie on 5 points and in that case we will probably go down on scoring difference. We will be doing well to get a result against Tipperary who have been unlucky in some of their games and probably should be higher in the table, however if we were guaranteed to stay up if we beat Tipperary at home id have took that at the start of the league. I really hope the lost point in Derry doesn't cost us in the end. Well done to the lads today they really stood up when needed."
I think If offaly beat tipp and derry lose their last two games, if we then beat tipp in carrick we finish level on points with derry, head to head will not apply as we drew with them and we would need to better their scoring difference of which we are well behind in at the moment to survive.

It's a massive outshot.

I agree with you and in all honesty its looking like a last day winner takes all shoot out with tipp will happen

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 453 - 02/03/2020 00:04:47    2271467

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Your right on all points except I think if Offaly beat Tipperary, it's a winner takes all game in Carrick doesn't matter what any other team does. Good result today, great to see Ryan O'Rourke and Mark Plunkett back playing and playing well, we need to be looking to get a result in Down in case other results don't go our way and we end up in a 3 way tie on 5 points and in that case we will probably go down on scoring difference. We will be doing well to get a result against Tipperary who have been unlucky in some of their games and probably should be higher in the table, however if we were guaranteed to stay up if we beat Tipperary at home id have took that at the start of the league. I really hope the lost point in Derry doesn't cost us in the end. Well done to the lads today they really stood up when needed."
You are right about winner takes all if offaly beat tipp, as tipp then finish on 3 points in that scenario to our 5 and they join louth in the drop. That is correct- hands up my bad

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 453 - 02/03/2020 00:12:49    2271470

Link

Was a pleasure to see the lads perform so well yesterday! The three dangermen in O'Rourke, Rooney and Beirne couldn't be handled all game and we looked dangerous everytime we got ball into them. Mark Plunkett being back (even if he still has a long way to go fitness wise) was just a big of help as O'Rourke as his delivery and calmness on the ball was second to none. Still not a fan of playing him so deep however! It's clear that the rest of the players look to both O'Rourke and Plunkett for leadership when under pressure which is great to see going forward when you consider their ages. I thought Donal Wrynn was excellent aswell and as they year goes on his fitness will continue to improve which should mean his performances will be more consistent aswell.

Our kickouts are still a huge issue, which is costing us big time. Other teams have realized it and are now really pushing up on us for them. It needs to be addressed ASAP.

Another issue we seriously have to address is our stupidity in carrying the ball into contact. Shane Moran and Paddy Maguire being chief offenders which is particularly frustrating as they are our two most experienced players. When we keep the ball moving we are a good team. It's a recurring issue with certain players bringing the ball straight into contact while at a slow pace or without a sidestep making it easy for them to be stripped of possession.

No Ray Mulvey or Dean McGovern (and Shane Quinn) yesterday either which is good because once they are back it will give us even more options off the bench.

On a side note it would be great to see the Leitrim county board sharing some of our brilliant scores on their social media platforms to showcase the talented footballers we have in the county to our youngsters. We are missing a trick by not doing this especially when we won't be shown on the Sunday game etc. All the games are recorded for analysis so it would be easy to do. We want the next generation aspiring to play like O'Rourke, Plunkett Rooney etc etc. and that's the easiest way of doing it.

Our starting team for Championship is really taking shape now that the injured players are returning!

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 158 - 02/03/2020 08:54:07    2271504

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "I think If offaly beat tipp and derry lose their last two games, if we then beat tipp in carrick we finish level on points with derry, head to head will not apply as we drew with them and we would need to better their scoring difference of which we are well behind in at the moment to survive.

It's a massive outshot.

I agree with you and in all honesty its looking like a last day winner takes all shoot out with tipp will happen"
If Offaly beat tip and we beat tip it's over. We stay up. Louth and tipp are relegated. The only realistic chance imo is offaly take something from tipp even a draw and it's a straight shoot out with us and tipp in the last game. Our score difference is bad and prob will only get worse after down. So we will all be supporting Offaly in the next round.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 02/03/2020 11:24:05    2271569

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Was a pleasure to see the lads perform so well yesterday! The three dangermen in O'Rourke, Rooney and Beirne couldn't be handled all game and we looked dangerous everytime we got ball into them. Mark Plunkett being back (even if he still has a long way to go fitness wise) was just a big of help as O'Rourke as his delivery and calmness on the ball was second to none. Still not a fan of playing him so deep however! It's clear that the rest of the players look to both O'Rourke and Plunkett for leadership when under pressure which is great to see going forward when you consider their ages. I thought Donal Wrynn was excellent aswell and as they year goes on his fitness will continue to improve which should mean his performances will be more consistent aswell.

Our kickouts are still a huge issue, which is costing us big time. Other teams have realized it and are now really pushing up on us for them. It needs to be addressed ASAP.

Another issue we seriously have to address is our stupidity in carrying the ball into contact. Shane Moran and Paddy Maguire being chief offenders which is particularly frustrating as they are our two most experienced players. When we keep the ball moving we are a good team. It's a recurring issue with certain players bringing the ball straight into contact while at a slow pace or without a sidestep making it easy for them to be stripped of possession.

No Ray Mulvey or Dean McGovern (and Shane Quinn) yesterday either which is good because once they are back it will give us even more options off the bench.

On a side note it would be great to see the Leitrim county board sharing some of our brilliant scores on their social media platforms to showcase the talented footballers we have in the county to our youngsters. We are missing a trick by not doing this especially when we won't be shown on the Sunday game etc. All the games are recorded for analysis so it would be easy to do. We want the next generation aspiring to play like O'Rourke, Plunkett Rooney etc etc. and that's the easiest way of doing it.

Our starting team for Championship is really taking shape now that the injured players are returning!"
Well done lads. Sounded great on the radio. Delivering on promise although it sounds like Louth are at low ebb. It makes you wonder what might have been against Offaly/L'ford if we had our full complement and with game time confidence playing together.
Good suggestion about some of the scores been posted in online video. It would let people see who couldn't make it and may entice the armchair supporters on their social media out to games.
Staying in div 3 is vital as you are guaranteed to have competitive football until the end be it chasing promotion or avoiding the drop. Nothing more demoralising than a dead rubber div 4 match with 2-3 games left…hardly ideal prep for championship.
I really hope we get something out of the Down game. We need to gain some respect up there after that woeful qualifier years ago. We also need heads high going into the Tipp game. Our last 2 last day scenarios didn't fare well (Losing to Limerick by a late point when all we needed was a draw to stay in Div 3 waay back and a winner takes all v Tipp for promotion years ago..I think we got pummelled in Carrick).
But we are going good, we are much improved, we are learning.
Liatroim abú

Mugatay (Leitrim) - Posts: 84 - 02/03/2020 11:27:28    2271570

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "If Offaly beat tip and we beat tip it's over. We stay up. Louth and tipp are relegated. The only realistic chance imo is offaly take something from tipp even a draw and it's a straight shoot out with us and tipp in the last game. Our score difference is bad and prob will only get worse after down. So we will all be supporting Offaly in the next round."
Not necessarily. Derry could lose their last 2 games as well and there would be 3 teams on 5 points.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 287 - 02/03/2020 16:15:23    2271718

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Was a pleasure to see the lads perform so well yesterday! The three dangermen in O'Rourke, Rooney and Beirne couldn't be handled all game and we looked dangerous everytime we got ball into them. Mark Plunkett being back (even if he still has a long way to go fitness wise) was just a big of help as O'Rourke as his delivery and calmness on the ball was second to none. Still not a fan of playing him so deep however! It's clear that the rest of the players look to both O'Rourke and Plunkett for leadership when under pressure which is great to see going forward when you consider their ages. I thought Donal Wrynn was excellent aswell and as they year goes on his fitness will continue to improve which should mean his performances will be more consistent aswell.

Our starting team for Championship is really taking shape now that the injured players are returning!"
While I agree with most of your analysis I think you are being unfair to Diarmaid . He did little wrong yesterday as the lads moved into space. That has been the problem with the kick outs , no movement. Contrast that with the Louth keeper who had few options as the game progressed due to Leitrim pushing up. We wobbled a bit late on but those mistakes can be corrected . The key to our success against Down will be the forwards and with Dean McGovern(swollen knee) and Shane Quinn back it will make for a great contest. The return of Mark Plunkett, the continuing improvement in Donal Wrynn, Keith Keegan's impressive stint at midfield and our defence getting better is evidence of our progress. Down's mindset will will be to give us no respect ,they know little about us so going in as underdogs will keep our lads balanced. It was noticeable post match in Louth that there was no celebration from the players just a real satisfaction at a job well done and a steely determination to build on what was an important victory over a team who like us were fighting for survival. We are still in there and there will be no fear of Down among this talented squad who know what is at stake .

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 79 - 02/03/2020 18:57:46    2271765

Link

A badly needed and excellent result yesterday is now in the bag. Next focus is Down and nothing beyond that. It's a must win no question, cant be flippant about it thinking we a cert V Tipp. Tipp will have same idea as us.

Ridgebackers (Leitrim) - Posts: 7 - 02/03/2020 19:42:46    2271776

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "While I agree with most of your analysis I think you are being unfair to Diarmaid . He did little wrong yesterday as the lads moved into space. That has been the problem with the kick outs , no movement. Contrast that with the Louth keeper who had few options as the game progressed due to Leitrim pushing up. We wobbled a bit late on but those mistakes can be corrected . The key to our success against Down will be the forwards and with Dean McGovern(swollen knee) and Shane Quinn back it will make for a great contest. The return of Mark Plunkett, the continuing improvement in Donal Wrynn, Keith Keegan's impressive stint at midfield and our defence getting better is evidence of our progress. Down's mindset will will be to give us no respect ,they know little about us so going in as underdogs will keep our lads balanced. It was noticeable post match in Louth that there was no celebration from the players just a real satisfaction at a job well done and a steely determination to build on what was an important victory over a team who like us were fighting for survival. We are still in there and there will be no fear of Down among this talented squad who know what is at stake ."
Well said.Lets get behind the team.They have plenty of talent and the age profile is very young.
It is by far the best group of players we have had in twenty years.They are making progress and the management is doing well .Keep at it lads

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 169 - 02/03/2020 22:19:58    2271810

Link

Replying To SeanMacDiarmada:  "Not necessarily. Derry could lose their last 2 games as well and there would be 3 teams on 5 points."
Yes Derry could be on 5 points. But tipp are currently on 3 points so Offaly draw with them they move to 4 points or if Offaly beat them they stay on 3 points. Assume we loose to down we will stay on 3 points also. This then means the looser of leitrim and Tipp game will be relegated along with Louth . Potentially Leitrim, Offaly Derry and tip could all be on 5 points but our score difference will probably relegate us.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 02/03/2020 23:46:26    2271834

Link

I think people forgeh about "one big game in Leitrim" factor.
That was it versus poor Louth team.
Down and Tipp better teams. We loose.
We will be regurgitated and play Division 4 football in 2021.

KimJongUn (Leitrim) - Posts: 13 - 03/03/2020 15:08:22    2271981

Link

Eddie1 here

I stayed off this site for along time due to the total negativity of the posts. If there was cups for negativity we would win the World Cup

Great to see the diehards in Dundalk last Sunday- the loyal few

Anyone that has gone to our matches this year and that knows anything about football will tell you,
Derry - we were unlucky did not win
Cork - Cork were too strong
Longford - we were well able for Longford
Offaly - we should have beaten Offaly ( we left 2-5) behind us
Louth - we beat Louth convincingly - you could see how well Leitrim are coached

Yet to read the posts we are relegated after the second game , Terry wont stay ,what a load of crap.

This is the best Leitrim team and set up since 1994

Leitrim to stay up- see you in Newry

Eddie1
Up Leitrim

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 217 - 03/03/2020 18:27:49    2272029

Link

Hugely positive performance on Sunday - Keith Keegan has made a difference in midfield (thought he tired towards the end in Dundalk) but has been a great addition. Donal Wrynne gave his best Leitrim performance yet on Sunday IMO, and Keith Beirne adds a different dimension to us up front. Domhnall Flynn is much maligned but he is an important player in how Terry wants that role played and does appear at both ends of the field - Sunday was better from him as well I thought.

Fergal Mc Tague has improved game on game for me as well and when he was off the field on Sunday was the only time Louth really caused us any major difficulties. So well done to him because he didnt have the smoothest ever start in a Leitrim jersey (Fergal, Donal Wrynne and Keith Keegan are significant additions to what we had in place last year and are a major part of the improvements I've seen this year)

And finally, there's Ryan! Wow, what an outstanding performance; if the first goal had been scored in Division 1, you'd never have hear the end of it - the way he won the ball, the turn and dip of the shoulder, the speed at which he got away from the Louth defence and then that rocket of a finish. It was a coaches dream of a goal..... he caused them all kinds of problems.

Down will be extremely tough but they are also likely to take us for granted. Hopefully they do, but regardless of what happens, it is still all very likely to come down to Tipp in Carrick on the final day. TBH I'd have bitten your hand off for that scenario (to have it in our own hands on the last day) at the start of the league.

Well done and hopefully we keep progressing in the final two games....

leitrimlhady (Leitrim) - Posts: 75 - 05/03/2020 11:26:42    2272316

Link

Well said- summed up both the game and the continuing improvement in our team. You are correct about Down's approach to the Leitrim game which has been switched to Saturday at 7pm under lights. Reading comments by their Manager in the Indo, they are all but promoted. He went so far as to suggest that he didn't need the Kilcoo players because his team was so talented.Would love to see us beat them on their home ground. We should be at full strength .

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 79 - 07/03/2020 16:36:17    2272632

Link

I just seen on the leitrim website that a full round of Shield games are fixed for this Saturday at 4.30pm to stop any club player from going to support the county team in Down Saturday evening. What a stupid thing to do!!

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 08/03/2020 21:04:23    2272901

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I just seen on the leitrim website that a full round of Shield games are fixed for this Saturday at 4.30pm to stop any club player from going to support the county team in Down Saturday evening. What a stupid thing to do!!"
These are the round of games originally planned for last weekend but called off due to weather. I'd say county board struggling to find a free weekend that there isn't a county game on to play these games. And a lot of overlap of players between secondary leagues and reserve leagues I'd say meaning that the games played on saturday as opposed to sunday

Highandmighty (Leitrim) - Posts: 31 - 09/03/2020 14:22:34    2273035

Link

I have no issues with the games being fixed for Saturday but they could have fixed them for 2.30pm on Saturday. Gives players and referees the chance to go to Down after the game if they want. The secondary games are on Sunday will also prevent players and supporters of going to support the hurlers in the league final. IMO the games Saturday should have been fixed for 2.30pm and the games Sunday should have been fixed for 11am. If teams then wanted to talk to each other and change the time to suit them then fine but the CCC should have fixed the games to get maximum supporters for both footballers and hurlers.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 09/03/2020 14:48:39    2273043

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I have no issues with the games being fixed for Saturday but they could have fixed them for 2.30pm on Saturday. Gives players and referees the chance to go to Down after the game if they want. The secondary games are on Sunday will also prevent players and supporters of going to support the hurlers in the league final. IMO the games Saturday should have been fixed for 2.30pm and the games Sunday should have been fixed for 11am. If teams then wanted to talk to each other and change the time to suit them then fine but the CCC should have fixed the games to get maximum supporters for both footballers and hurlers."
Nail on the head

Mugatay (Leitrim) - Posts: 84 - 09/03/2020 20:46:21    2273134

Link