Leitrim Forum

Leitrim Inter-County 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To ThePowerhouse:  "Whatever strength and conditioning program they're on needs to be burnt! And we need a dedicated forwards coach. Killing the ball is the least you can do if you're not going to score. And if you're turned over don't let your man run the length of the pitch to create or take a score."
Not surprised by the result today. Offaly a better team and better coached. People were getting carried away thinking that Leitrm were going to beat Longford and Offaly. Leitrm need to get a result against Louth, or its going to be hard to see them getting much up in Newry or in Pairc Sean,against Tipperary if they are still in for promotion. I think John Maugham and his management team had a game plan,and had Leitrm well accessed. After yesterday's Under 20s match against Galway I don't think that Terry and and his management are improving Leitrm football. A 2 points score tells it all.

moreinu (Leitrim) - Posts: 20 - 23/02/2020 16:45:28    2269321

Link

Very disappointing display today. Midfield missing so had to go short with kick outs which left us under pressure a lot of times. Thought we had decent first half but squandering a potential 1-5 early in 2nd half then losing Shane Quinn to an impulsive response which I believe cost us the game as Offaly capitalised and just pulled away. Can have no complaints really.

Ridgebackers (Leitrim) - Posts: 7 - 23/02/2020 16:58:25    2269329

Link

Ah very disappointing we're just not good enough I'm afraid. Was a must win game today, we are gone now.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 23/02/2020 17:06:10    2269332

Link

The 5 min spell before half time and 5 min spell after half time cost us. We missed 2-06 in that period. Leitrim was as good as Offaly but sending off had a big barring. All that's left to hope now is that we beat Louth next week (I doubt we will) and have a winner takes all game with tipp in Carrick on the last day. That's best case situation at this stage I'd be thinking. Colin Regan needs to apologies to Shane Moran for putting unneeded pressure on him comparing him to Brian Fenton. We lack that killer instinct upfront. The game was there today and in Longford to be won but we made simple mistakes.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 23/02/2020 18:21:49    2269366

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "The 5 min spell before half time and 5 min spell after half time cost us. We missed 2-06 in that period. Leitrim was as good as Offaly but sending off had a big barring. All that's left to hope now is that we beat Louth next week (I doubt we will) and have a winner takes all game with tipp in Carrick on the last day. That's best case situation at this stage I'd be thinking. Colin Regan needs to apologies to Shane Moran for putting unneeded pressure on him comparing him to Brian Fenton. We lack that killer instinct upfront. The game was there today and in Longford to be won but we made simple mistakes."
We have been bet comfortably by both Longford and Offaly so I don't share your view that the games were there to be won. I was concerned about our fitness against longford and it was clear again today that it's an issue but it is better than last year.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 88 - 23/02/2020 19:07:27    2269384

Link

Replying To williesboy:  "We have been bet comfortably by both Longford and Offaly so I don't share your view that the games were there to be won. I was concerned about our fitness against longford and it was clear again today that it's an issue but it is better than last year."
If we had taken our chances at the end of the first and beginning of the second half we would have been 8 or 9 up and I think would have seen out the game

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 23/02/2020 20:14:21    2269436

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "If we had taken our chances at the end of the first and beginning of the second half we would have been 8 or 9 up and I think would have seen out the game"
If offaly had taken all they had missed they could have won by 20 points. To many ifs, buts and maybes on here. We have to stop making excuses and start taking the chances and winning games. The red card basically ended our chances of staying up this year and Quinn needs to be dropped for the foreseeable until he learns discipline. We need to sort kick outs still and need to work on forward plays and actually kick passing a ball to out own men inside. Wrong men shooting and same players kicking the game away every match.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 291 - 24/02/2020 07:41:37    2269563

Link

Replying To moreinu:  "Not surprised by the result today. Offaly a better team and better coached. People were getting carried away thinking that Leitrm were going to beat Longford and Offaly. Leitrm need to get a result against Louth, or its going to be hard to see them getting much up in Newry or in Pairc Sean,against Tipperary if they are still in for promotion. I think John Maugham and his management team had a game plan,and had Leitrm well accessed. After yesterday's Under 20s match against Galway I don't think that Terry and and his management are improving Leitrm football. A 2 points score tells it all."
Not Terry's fault Leitrim football not improving, players have to take responsibility. I was at Longford and Yesterdays game and the main difference is that those teams are more clinical than we are. How may times were we turned over yesterday and in Longford? I think Terry has brought this team as far as they are capable of going.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 132 - 24/02/2020 08:04:09    2269566

Link

lets call a spade a spade lads. we're heading back to div 4 and realistically that's the level we're at. no demonising the lads as they give it their all. but if we can't beat Longford & Offaly then div 4 is realistically the standard we're at.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 262 - 24/02/2020 08:37:45    2269573

Link

The loss of Mulligan is massive for ye I reckon. Any chance of him returning?

Keephimthere (Roscommon) - Posts: 45 - 24/02/2020 11:35:09    2269651

Link

The annoying thing is the amount we missed. We missed 1-4 straight after half time in a few minutes. Until Quinns moment of madness we were in the game. Yeah Offaly are better than us but we were hanging in there through determination and grit. When Quinn went I think the heads dropped a bit. I think the scoreline flattered Offaly a bit.
Look we're heading back for Division 4 which might not be a bad thing. We can aim for some silverware in Croker this time next year. Lets be honest Division 4 is the only competition we are capable of winning.

Grey_Wolf (Leitrim) - Posts: 227 - 24/02/2020 12:41:15    2269687

Link

I know some people are going to completely disagree but I actually don't think we are too far off a lot of teams in this division. If we could somehow manage to stay up it would bring us on leaps and bounds. We can see in areas like the ball coming back off the post for their first goal we are just not sharp enough and at this level you just get punished when that happens. Same goes for that period after half time where we should have really kicked on and won the game. Our unenforced errors are killing us.

The improvement over the last two years has been massive and we need to remember that even though it's easy to get caught up in us losing. Whether that improvement is due to better coaching or us having a better standard of player available I'm not sure. Probably a mix between the two of them.

What I do know is we have 3 players in O'Rourke, Beirne and Rooney who can and will do damage inside to most teams. What we need is all 3 of them to be fit and begin to play as a unit.
When this begins to happen we will begin to pick up wins.

I still feel our half forward line especially no.11 is an issue. We need someone to link play between defence and attack and I hate picking out individuals but I can't see after 2 years why Hyland thinks Domhnail Flynn is the answer - he is okay but nothing more, his dropped shot yesterday was a killer! From talking to people who know him at the match Mark Plunkett has done ONE training session in 8 weeks yet got on more ball in 20 minute cameo then most of our outfield players. He needs to be put at 11 from now on. Was a massive risk to even bring him on yesterday it must be said.

Our kick outs were once again a major issue which gives us no platform to attack or get out of our own defence. How have we not improved on this aspect and clearly need help? I thought Shane Quinn was very good up until his immature and stupid sending off. He hung his team-mates out to dry and this is not his first time doing that.

Fergal McTague has been a big plus at full back - still very raw mind you but he has that position nailed down as long as he stays fit. He will surely improve with the amount he has learned in the past month. Along with Jack Gilheany they have been 2 new positives.

It's an old problem in Leitrim but imagine the difference the likes of Jack Heslin and Gary Plunkett would have made yesterday (even off the bench) if they were there. They are too young and to talented to not be in our panel at the very least. Heslin is exactly what we need to transition from defence to attack. Michael McWeeney would also make a considerable difference at corner back.

This division was never going to be a breeze so some people attitudes thinking we should be easily competing at this level is bizarre. Things are improving - maybe slowly but we have to remember where we are coming from and factor in the injuries we have had. We should have beaten Derry and had opportunities in both the Longford and Offaly games to kick on but couldn't take them - it is far better for our players to be learning these harsh lessons then being back in Division Four. We have learned more in the last 4 games then we have in the last two years.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 158 - 25/02/2020 04:48:19    2269946

Link

Kept my opinions to myself until now all year because i was aware of the step up required to compete in Div 3. Attitude of players in every game so far has been great to at least 40 mins but there is an inevitability that we will lose the games from there on in. Mental strength not good enough, some players physical conditioning not good enough and the biggest problem is some players give far more to their club compared to the county jersey. Too many lads along for the ride. Others are totally committed but are way off the pace. Indiscipline also a problem. I dont see a team and management team that are united when playing. Substitutions are bizarre to say the least. Set up ultra defensive every game regardless of opposition. No attack plan, any wonder the amount of easy turnovers conceded by players going it alone, often ignoring a support runner. It maybe a cliche from the IRFU but Leitrim do not embody the team of US mentality. Team of 15 mes. I think with right mindset and encouragement we could have 6 points on the board now. Rightly we will be relegated and again we will miss out on a good manager and appoint a totally unproven manager or a manager out of the game too long. I hope Co Board are already planning for next year.New Broom, sweeps clean.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 868 - 25/02/2020 10:56:22    2270000

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "Kept my opinions to myself until now all year because i was aware of the step up required to compete in Div 3. Attitude of players in every game so far has been great to at least 40 mins but there is an inevitability that we will lose the games from there on in. Mental strength not good enough, some players physical conditioning not good enough and the biggest problem is some players give far more to their club compared to the county jersey. Too many lads along for the ride. Others are totally committed but are way off the pace. Indiscipline also a problem. I dont see a team and management team that are united when playing. Substitutions are bizarre to say the least. Set up ultra defensive every game regardless of opposition. No attack plan, any wonder the amount of easy turnovers conceded by players going it alone, often ignoring a support runner. It maybe a cliche from the IRFU but Leitrim do not embody the team of US mentality. Team of 15 mes. I think with right mindset and encouragement we could have 6 points on the board now. Rightly we will be relegated and again we will miss out on a good manager and appoint a totally unproven manager or a manager out of the game too long. I hope Co Board are already planning for next year.New Broom, sweeps clean."
I think the county board have to do everything possible to make sure Terry is the manager next season and for a few seasons. He has brought this team on so much. Could anyone realistically say 2 years ago after the hammerings we got in div 4 against Antrim and Carlow that we would be playing div 3 football and both of them in Div 4 currently. Did anyone think we could compete with Derry at home and should have bet them. That we were in every single game in the league for 50 mins. Yes I no a game last 70 mins . We have improved so much. Agree with a post that Micheal McWeeeny, Jack Heslin and Gary Plunkett are misses. Mulligan I think would have been an ideal person to bring on against the likes of Longford and Offaly. Still 3 games left and the lads will do everything they can stay up. 2 wins needed to have a chance.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 25/02/2020 12:01:51    2270030

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "Kept my opinions to myself until now all year because i was aware of the step up required to compete in Div 3. Attitude of players in every game so far has been great to at least 40 mins but there is an inevitability that we will lose the games from there on in. Mental strength not good enough, some players physical conditioning not good enough and the biggest problem is some players give far more to their club compared to the county jersey. Too many lads along for the ride. Others are totally committed but are way off the pace. Indiscipline also a problem. I dont see a team and management team that are united when playing. Substitutions are bizarre to say the least. Set up ultra defensive every game regardless of opposition. No attack plan, any wonder the amount of easy turnovers conceded by players going it alone, often ignoring a support runner. It maybe a cliche from the IRFU but Leitrim do not embody the team of US mentality. Team of 15 mes. I think with right mindset and encouragement we could have 6 points on the board now. Rightly we will be relegated and again we will miss out on a good manager and appoint a totally unproven manager or a manager out of the game too long. I hope Co Board are already planning for next year.New Broom, sweeps clean."
Thank you for finally adorning us with your perspicacious opinions at long last, oh great one. We can all sleep easy again.

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 130 - 25/02/2020 13:02:06    2270051

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I think the county board have to do everything possible to make sure Terry is the manager next season and for a few seasons. He has brought this team on so much. Could anyone realistically say 2 years ago after the hammerings we got in div 4 against Antrim and Carlow that we would be playing div 3 football and both of them in Div 4 currently. Did anyone think we could compete with Derry at home and should have bet them. That we were in every single game in the league for 50 mins. Yes I no a game last 70 mins . We have improved so much. Agree with a post that Micheal McWeeeny, Jack Heslin and Gary Plunkett are misses. Mulligan I think would have been an ideal person to bring on against the likes of Longford and Offaly. Still 3 games left and the lads will do everything they can stay up. 2 wins needed to have a chance."
I think like a lot of people we underestimate the quality of the player in the county. I cant see how If which is most likely we get relegated that keeping Terry on is a good idea. Some of the players that are not on the panel will not return if they stay on. I think Terry did a decent job all the same. I suppose the real measure will be v Mayo in the champ. We have been hammered in Connacht for years by Ross. A decent outing v Mayo followed by good run in secondary comp prob means he would entitled be to stay on.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 868 - 25/02/2020 21:06:12    2270186

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "I know some people are going to completely disagree but I actually don't think we are too far off a lot of teams in this division. If we could somehow manage to stay up it would bring us on leaps and bounds. We can see in areas like the ball coming back off the post for their first goal we are just not sharp enough and at this level you just get punished when that happens. Same goes for that period after half time where we should have really kicked on and won the game. Our unenforced errors are killing us.

The improvement over the last two years has been massive and we need to remember that even though it's easy to get caught up in us losing. Whether that improvement is due to better coaching or us having a better standard of player available I'm not sure. Probably a mix between the two of them.

What I do know is we have 3 players in O'Rourke, Beirne and Rooney who can and will do damage inside to most teams. What we need is all 3 of them to be fit and begin to play as a unit.
When this begins to happen we will begin to pick up wins.

I still feel our half forward line especially no.11 is an issue. We need someone to link play between defence and attack and I hate picking out individuals but I can't see after 2 years why Hyland thinks Domhnail Flynn is the answer - he is okay but nothing more, his dropped shot yesterday was a killer! From talking to people who know him at the match Mark Plunkett has done ONE training session in 8 weeks yet got on more ball in 20 minute cameo then most of our outfield players. He needs to be put at 11 from now on. Was a massive risk to even bring him on yesterday it must be said.

Our kick outs were once again a major issue which gives us no platform to attack or get out of our own defence. How have we not improved on this aspect and clearly need help? I thought Shane Quinn was very good up until his immature and stupid sending off. He hung his team-mates out to dry and this is not his first time doing that.

Fergal McTague has been a big plus at full back - still very raw mind you but he has that position nailed down as long as he stays fit. He will surely improve with the amount he has learned in the past month. Along with Jack Gilheany they have been 2 new positives.

It's an old problem in Leitrim but imagine the difference the likes of Jack Heslin and Gary Plunkett would have made yesterday (even off the bench) if they were there. They are too young and to talented to not be in our panel at the very least. Heslin is exactly what we need to transition from defence to attack. Michael McWeeney would also make a considerable difference at corner back.

This division was never going to be a breeze so some people attitudes thinking we should be easily competing at this level is bizarre. Things are improving - maybe slowly but we have to remember where we are coming from and factor in the injuries we have had. We should have beaten Derry and had opportunities in both the Longford and Offaly games to kick on but couldn't take them - it is far better for our players to be learning these harsh lessons then being back in Division Four. We have learned more in the last 4 games then we have in the last two years."
No one for one moment thought that Division 3 would be a breeze. Carlow and Sligo are testimony to the toughness of this division both back in Division 4 . You can analyse all day with "if and buts" but we will be playing Division 4 again next year, that is the reality.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 132 - 26/02/2020 08:21:03    2270235

Link

Good luck today lads

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 01/03/2020 09:21:48    2271032

Link

Great result in the wee county. 2 games to go. Co Down trip and then carrick for Tipperary. Just after studying the table. I hope they win in Down, however to me it's not the most important game concerning Leitrim.
Offaly play Tipp the same weekend. If Offaly avoid defeat in semple stadium, it will be then be battle royale in the final game in final game against Tipp where winner takes all and stays up.
Their would need to be concoction of results for us to qualify, even if we defeat Down when you take head to head and score difference into account.
The easiest way to stay up is if Offaly avoid defeat in Tipperary. And as I said earlier there will then be a battle royal in Carrick last game.
I am open for correction. Actually I would be interested.

Shannonview (Leitrim) - Posts: 50 - 01/03/2020 17:35:29    2271219

Link

Replying To Shannonview:  "Great result in the wee county. 2 games to go. Co Down trip and then carrick for Tipperary. Just after studying the table. I hope they win in Down, however to me it's not the most important game concerning Leitrim.
Offaly play Tipp the same weekend. If Offaly avoid defeat in semple stadium, it will be then be battle royale in the final game in final game against Tipp where winner takes all and stays up.
Their would need to be concoction of results for us to qualify, even if we defeat Down when you take head to head and score difference into account.
The easiest way to stay up is if Offaly avoid defeat in Tipperary. And as I said earlier there will then be a battle royal in Carrick last game.
I am open for correction. Actually I would be interested."
We are by no means gone yet lads, it's very very complicated acted what can happen in the last two rounds and I stand open to correction here. Head to head rule applies but only if no more than two teams are level on points.

Provided louth lose again which IS going to happen then -- If we lost next week and tipp win they join offaly and derry on 5 points ( providing derry lose too). We then enter the final round needing to beat tipp and hope offaly get at least a point and derry get a result in one of their last two games to leave us and tipp the only teams level on 5 points and we trump them on the head to head and stay up.

Of course offaly could win easily too against tipp which then we just need to beat tipp in carrick regardless of our result against down provided derry pick up at least a point in one of their final two games. Again this would leave both us and tipp the only teams level on 5 and we stay up on head to head. One of these scenarios is the most likely way we will stay up.

Less likely but the best way to stay up is to win our last two games and we are safe although our chances of beating down in newry are slim, lose against down there are several scenarios involving needing results to go our way between derry and offaly to stay up.

If either offaly or derry lost their last two games and we lose against down we cannot stay up I think unless we beat tipp by a huge huge score. It'll all become clear after the next round. Be some occasion in carrick with that tipp game lads!!

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 453 - 01/03/2020 20:35:30    2271346

Link