Leitrim Forum

Leitrim Inter-County 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Offaly beating Louth today makes next Sunday's game with Offaly a must win game. Lose it and we're as good as gone, win it and we have a fighting chance of survival .

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 16/02/2020 20:28:51    2268019

Link

Let's be honest if I was told we would have 1 point after the first 3 games I'd prob have taken it. It's a huge step up from div 4. If we win this weekend then we have the head to head on Offaly as we will
Both be on 3 points. Louth will have zero points. There is a real possbility that if we win this weekend then 3 points could keep us up. Even if Louth beat us they will still need another another draw to get to 3 points

Offaly remaining fixtures are down tipp and Derry I cant see them winning any of them.
Louth have Derry Leitrim Cork and down. As I said above even if they beat us they still need another result. So if leitrim can win this weekend it may actually be enough to stay in division 3.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 17/02/2020 14:31:38    2268168

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "Let's be honest if I was told we would have 1 point after the first 3 games I'd prob have taken it. It's a huge step up from div 4. If we win this weekend then we have the head to head on Offaly as we will
Both be on 3 points. Louth will have zero points. There is a real possbility that if we win this weekend then 3 points could keep us up. Even if Louth beat us they will still need another another draw to get to 3 points

Offaly remaining fixtures are down tipp and Derry I cant see them winning any of them.
Louth have Derry Leitrim Cork and down. As I said above even if they beat us they still need another result. So if leitrim can win this weekend it may actually be enough to stay in division 3."
3 points will not be enough to keep us up and we won't beat Louth

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 88 - 17/02/2020 16:50:52    2268203

Link

Replying To williesboy:  "3 points will not be enough to keep us up and we won't beat Louth"
Ah why not.

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 561 - 18/02/2020 15:28:24    2268326

Link

Two games fixed for Pairc Sean this weekend...what are the chances of them being played

lonelylad (Leitrim) - Posts: 18 - 20/02/2020 01:29:13    2268547

Link

Huge game this weekend. If we were offered 1 point from our three games against Derry, Cork and Longford - With two of them being away ties all the whilst missing Mulvey, Plunkett, Dolan and Ryan O'Rourke for most of those games I would have bitten your hands off. We have to have some perspective on where we are coming from.

Anyone have fitness updates on Mark Plunkett or Jack Gilheaney? We badly need a fit Plunkett even at this stage he can't be match fit but its a huge game and we can't be without him in my view.

Ofally are really strong in the full forward line and and in midfield.

If Plunkett is fit this is the team I would go with. Serious power here around the middle third.
Might be unbelievably harsh as his shot stopping has been immense but Brendan Flynns kickouts are better than McKiernans. We have been struggling badly at this aspect to Terry needs to make a harsh call.

That full forward line is capable of damaging any team.

Huge support needed this weekend.

Flynn
Flynn/Reynolds McTague Maguire
Mulvey McGloin Quinn
Wrynn
Dolan
Plunkett Moran McGovern
O'Rourke Beirne Rooney

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 158 - 20/02/2020 11:45:07    2268596

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Huge game this weekend. If we were offered 1 point from our three games against Derry, Cork and Longford - With two of them being away ties all the whilst missing Mulvey, Plunkett, Dolan and Ryan O'Rourke for most of those games I would have bitten your hands off. We have to have some perspective on where we are coming from.

Anyone have fitness updates on Mark Plunkett or Jack Gilheaney? We badly need a fit Plunkett even at this stage he can't be match fit but its a huge game and we can't be without him in my view.

Ofally are really strong in the full forward line and and in midfield.

If Plunkett is fit this is the team I would go with. Serious power here around the middle third.
Might be unbelievably harsh as his shot stopping has been immense but Brendan Flynns kickouts are better than McKiernans. We have been struggling badly at this aspect to Terry needs to make a harsh call.

That full forward line is capable of damaging any team.

Huge support needed this weekend.

Flynn
Flynn/Reynolds McTague Maguire
Mulvey McGloin Quinn
Wrynn
Dolan
Plunkett Moran McGovern
O'Rourke Beirne Rooney"
Agree with you're team to a certain extent. I'd leave McKiernan in goals granted his kick outs are sometimes dodgy but tbf to him there is very little movement on and he gets 90% of his short kicks away. But when they went out the middle against longford our midfielfs kept dropping them and we weren't hungry on the breaks. Evan Sweeney was very good against longford I thought. I think I'd start him again maybe instead of rooney. Shane Moran will be lucky to start imo. I think I'd put o Rourke at center forward instead of Moran.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 20/02/2020 14:26:29    2268627

Link

Replying To lonelylad:  "Two games fixed for Pairc Sean this weekend...what are the chances of them being played"
If the rain doesn't let up a bit there wont be 1 game played never mind 2.
What are the other alternatives if Pairc Sean isn't playable? Centre of excellence?

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 88 - 20/02/2020 14:58:27    2268640

Link

Replying To williesboy:  "If the rain doesn't let up a bit there wont be 1 game played never mind 2.
What are the other alternatives if Pairc Sean isn't playable? Centre of excellence?"
Pray that its called of and give our players that have been injured or are still injured an extra weeks training.

I wouldn't play O'Rourke at 11 again. He played there for a period against Ross in the Hyde and got bullied. On his day he's one of the best inside forwards around so let him loose in there. Darragh Rooney excelled at 11 for DCU's Sigerson team last year though.

It's Plunkett's best position though. Once he gets fit that's where he needs to be.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 158 - 20/02/2020 15:22:50    2268644

Link

Big game the weekend. It will be difficult but we are more than capable.

The panel is getting back to full fitness and I don't think too many can be assured of their places based off the opening 3 games. I think there are at least 5 guys on the bench who could come in and improve us.

Whether or not that happens we'll see but apart from maybe 2 or 3 key players everyone should be looking over their shoulder as there is little between any of them no matter what club they come from.

Frawnci3 (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 20/02/2020 15:35:25    2268647

Link

Any word on an alternative venue if this game can't be held in Carrick? The rain is relentless

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 21/02/2020 14:30:57    2268808

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "Any word on an alternative venue if this game can't be held in Carrick? The rain is relentless"
Game won't be played in Pairc Sean anyway. Centre of excellence?

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 88 - 21/02/2020 14:57:01    2268813

Link

Replying To williesboy:  "Game won't be played in Pairc Sean anyway. Centre of excellence?"
I see it's moved to Elphin at 2pm tomorrow

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 21/02/2020 18:09:44    2268851

Link

Must be a good chance the offaly game will be called off ??

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 21/02/2020 19:47:29    2268867

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Must be a good chance the offaly game will be called off ??"
Well I'm not travelling (from Dublin) for it as it's got a last minute call off written all over it going on gaa form. Willie hegarty and Co for me...
Good luck Liatroim in any case!

Mugatay (Leitrim) - Posts: 84 - 22/02/2020 21:00:42    2269085

Link

Best of luck to the boys today. Have a feeling we will win by 2 or 3 points. It's a huge game leitrim win and we have a good chance of staying up Offaly will know if they win this they are as good as safe. So it should be a serious battle. Home advantage should count for a couple of points which I think will be the difference

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 23/02/2020 12:18:26    2269246

Link

Massive game for Leitrim today, this has the feel of a knock out championship game, we simply have to win it as if we lose we'll be effectively relegated with 3 games still to go. We need to find a way to get over the line today the win is all that matters. Were up against it I'm afraid against an improving Offaly side . Were going to need huge support today from the stands and hopefully the players can respond with a huge performance. Best of luck to the lads

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 23/02/2020 12:19:13    2269248

Link

Hopefully Leitrim get the win today and the pitch holds up

highbank (Leitrim) - Posts: 8 - 23/02/2020 13:59:49    2269273

Link

Absolutely utter rubbish. Pure shambles.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 88 - 23/02/2020 15:33:56    2269284

Link

Whatever strength and conditioning program they're on needs to be burnt! And we need a dedicated forwards coach. Killing the ball is the least you can do if you're not going to score. And if you're turned over don't let your man run the length of the pitch to create or take a score.

ThePowerhouse (Leitrim) - Posts: 24 - 23/02/2020 16:10:36    2269301

Link