Leitrim Forum

Leitrim Inter-County 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Surely we have lined up a decent challenge before we head to Derry

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 88 - 16/01/2020 20:30:56    2260314

Link

Said I'd give the whole uproar over a glorified challenge match a miss.
Just a few things. When to consider about last Sunday.

We have lost around 11 players from last year's panel.
We were missing a further 13 players from this year's panel.
After Fermanagh we have the lowest population of Gaa players in the country.

We had Sean Flanagan who at this stage it has to be wondered if he can be trusted to be on a county panel get a stupid sending off whilst we were under the kosh and hang his younger team mates out to dry. Especially when he was one of the players physically able to handle the Rossies. He may be one of the hardest marked club players on his day but if you can't be trusted to be on the pitch for the full game what's the point? He might be an option at corner forward but he will get involved in to much nonsense at midfield.

Then our goalkeeper goes down with a bad injury and we have to bring on a 17 year old kid with no experience.

Moving on to the national league. Was reading with interest some of the posters ideas on teams. Lets be honest there's 11 or 12 of the positions set in stone.

Firstly, is it true about Ryan O'Rourkes injury?

On the goalkeeping front its always been hard to get a second choice keeper as it's a massive commitment when you won't get game time. Surely it should be easy to convince Brendan Flynn to come in now? He is in my eyes as good as McKiernan but has never committed.

Full back line in my eyes will be
Maguire
McTague
Reynolds/Flynn

Half back line is where there is most debate:
Ray Mulvey has been injured since last years club championship so there will be a change there.
I have seen people suggesting for Plunkett to once again play at 6 and he would be okay. But in my eyes that's robbing Peter to pay Paul. He needs to be at 11 or 12. The problem is you could play him in most positions and he will be our best player but we can't afford to take him for granted and mess him around like we did with Donal Wrynn who never settled in one position.

I'd go with:
Bruen/Flynn
Gilheaney
McGloin

Midfield is easy for me:
Pearce Dolan
Donal Wrynn

Half Forward line of
Another*
Plunkett
Quinn

Beirne
Moran
Rooney

What we have now and never had before is real power. McTague, Maguire, Wrynn, Plunkett, Moran, Gilheaney, Beirne are all massive men who can win 50/50 ball.

Our problem is that we are lacking some pace to break the line when we are attacking. This is where O'Rourke being injured is a problem and even more so that Heslin and Gary Plunkett are not involved.

Our defence can be destroyed when ran at this is why I'd play Wrynn at midfield so he can drop deep along with Shane Quinn from the half forward line.

Derry and Cork will be exceptionally tough games but there's no reason why we can't have a right cut off the rest of the teams. For years Leitrim supporters have wanted to be in Div 3 we now have that so lets get behind the players.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 158 - 17/01/2020 06:23:00    2260375

Link

Anyone know why Jack Heslin opted out. Is he going travelling or some other issue?

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 17/01/2020 20:32:53    2260527

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Said I'd give the whole uproar over a glorified challenge match a miss.
Just a few things. When to consider about last Sunday.

We have lost around 11 players from last year's panel.
We were missing a further 13 players from this year's panel.
After Fermanagh we have the lowest population of Gaa players in the country.

We had Sean Flanagan who at this stage it has to be wondered if he can be trusted to be on a county panel get a stupid sending off whilst we were under the kosh and hang his younger team mates out to dry. Especially when he was one of the players physically able to handle the Rossies. He may be one of the hardest marked club players on his day but if you can't be trusted to be on the pitch for the full game what's the point? He might be an option at corner forward but he will get involved in to much nonsense at midfield.

Then our goalkeeper goes down with a bad injury and we have to bring on a 17 year old kid with no experience.

Moving on to the national league. Was reading with interest some of the posters ideas on teams. Lets be honest there's 11 or 12 of the positions set in stone.

Firstly, is it true about Ryan O'Rourkes injury?

On the goalkeeping front its always been hard to get a second choice keeper as it's a massive commitment when you won't get game time. Surely it should be easy to convince Brendan Flynn to come in now? He is in my eyes as good as McKiernan but has never committed.

Full back line in my eyes will be
Maguire
McTague
Reynolds/Flynn

Half back line is where there is most debate:
Ray Mulvey has been injured since last years club championship so there will be a change there.
I have seen people suggesting for Plunkett to once again play at 6 and he would be okay. But in my eyes that's robbing Peter to pay Paul. He needs to be at 11 or 12. The problem is you could play him in most positions and he will be our best player but we can't afford to take him for granted and mess him around like we did with Donal Wrynn who never settled in one position.

I'd go with:
Bruen/Flynn
Gilheaney
McGloin

Midfield is easy for me:
Pearce Dolan
Donal Wrynn

Half Forward line of
Another*
Plunkett
Quinn

Beirne
Moran
Rooney

What we have now and never had before is real power. McTague, Maguire, Wrynn, Plunkett, Moran, Gilheaney, Beirne are all massive men who can win 50/50 ball.

Our problem is that we are lacking some pace to break the line when we are attacking. This is where O'Rourke being injured is a problem and even more so that Heslin and Gary Plunkett are not involved.

Our defence can be destroyed when ran at this is why I'd play Wrynn at midfield so he can drop deep along with Shane Quinn from the half forward line.

Derry and Cork will be exceptionally tough games but there's no reason why we can't have a right cut off the rest of the teams. For years Leitrim supporters have wanted to be in Div 3 we now have that so lets get behind the players."
On the Bank as usual a measured response from a bad weekend all round. I agree with a lot of what you say but i really dont see how McTague on his showings for the county can be considered. One great year for his club but poor year last year. Shane Quinn has not pushed on from good early promise. In a comfort bubble. Does enough to stay on panel but brings little to it. By now he should be one of the leaders but he goes missing regularly. Ray Mulvey will be back n he should be given that half forward role. Only really disagreeing with you on 2 players rest i would be happy with and on paper thats a team that should be doing better.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 215 - 17/01/2020 21:08:36    2260532

Link

Replying To po3nmotion:  "On the Bank as usual a measured response from a bad weekend all round. I agree with a lot of what you say but i really dont see how McTague on his showings for the county can be considered. One great year for his club but poor year last year. Shane Quinn has not pushed on from good early promise. In a comfort bubble. Does enough to stay on panel but brings little to it. By now he should be one of the leaders but he goes missing regularly. Ray Mulvey will be back n he should be given that half forward role. Only really disagreeing with you on 2 players rest i would be happy with and on paper thats a team that should be doing better."
If Ray Mulvey is back then that solves a major headache in my opinion as he bring vital ball carrying skils and a good out ball for our defence. I see that Oisin McCaffery is also back fit - A big strong very honest player who Terry seems to have taken an eye towards.

To be fair to Shane Quinn I think he is generally a 7/10 I to would also like him to really take games by the scruff of the neck which he is capable of doing but he covers a hell of a lot of ground and does unseen work to be fair to him.

On young McTague. I think Terry Hyland has to take a lot of criticism for this. He took a player who was injured for 6 months and on his inter-county debut played him in a Connacht championship match away from home in a position that he has never played in before and then had to take him off after 20 mins. Not the greatest player development move I've ever seen? I just don't see another player with his pace, power and aggression in Leitrim that can physically dominate and shut down whoever they are marking. This could be even more significant seen as the mark rule will now be in place. Also we don't have many more options to be honest? And from what I know he had been playing very well in challenge matches before the FBD game where he picked up a knock and could not start.

Centre back is still the main issue that I would worry about.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 158 - 18/01/2020 07:29:16    2260553

Link

Leitrim didn't train today apparently no pitch available due to weather....

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 492 - 19/01/2020 22:24:59    2260961

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "Leitrim didn't train today apparently no pitch available due to weather...."
Leitrim trained Sunday and Diarmaid McKiernan back in contention for Saturday while Brendan Flynn has rejoined the Panel. Cillian MCGloin could be answer to Centre Half Back position while Donal Wrynn up front could be used to make marks with his height & ball winning skills.Terry told Dublin audience that training session after Roscommon game was 'best since becoming manager'. Looking positive for Saturday

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 79 - 20/01/2020 20:08:53    2261191

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "Leitrim trained Sunday and Diarmaid McKiernan back in contention for Saturday while Brendan Flynn has rejoined the Panel. Cillian MCGloin could be answer to Centre Half Back position while Donal Wrynn up front could be used to make marks with his height & ball winning skills.Terry told Dublin audience that training session after Roscommon game was 'best since becoming manager'. Looking positive for Saturday"
If true that Benny flynn is back then this is my team

Brendan Flynn
Conor Renyolds
Paddy Maguire
Shane Quinn
Cillian McGloin
Jack Gilheaney
Ray Mulvey
Donal Rynn
Pearce Dolan
Dean McGovern
Mark Plunkett
Dara Rooney
Keith Beirne
Shane Moran
Ryan O Rourke

I'd be alternating Rynn, Dolan, Moran, McGovern, Plunkett for the mark inside and also midfield half forward line. Lots of strenght and power in every line of the pitch I feel

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 20/01/2020 21:33:52    2261219

Link

Good luck to the lads tomorrow, hoping to make it up to Derry and hope there is a good Leitrim crowd there. Big ask tomorrow , hoping for a big performance and a positive result would be great too.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 24/01/2020 19:11:37    2261984

Link

All the best to Terry and the lads tomorrow against Derry and indeed for the whole league. I think we will hold our own in division 3 this season and if we do that then I will sure be happy, staying up in division 3 is progress. This is the toughest division 3 in years.

I always said that staying in 3 was easier than getting out of 4 but this years division 3 is exceptionally hard. All the best and good luck, here's to a great 2020 lads

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 453 - 24/01/2020 21:42:53    2262016

Link

Thoughts on the team named for tomorrow?

3 Main talking points

No Mark Plunkett
Dean Mc Govern leading from the 40
Young Mc Tague getting his chance at FB

MadAboutLeitrim (Leitrim) - Posts: 22 - 24/01/2020 22:28:14    2262030

Link

Replying To MadAboutLeitrim:  "Thoughts on the team named for tomorrow?

3 Main talking points

No Mark Plunkett
Young Mc Tague getting his chance at FB"
Can only assume Mark Plunkett is injured cause he didn't play sigerson during the week . Ryan O'Rourke must be injured too big big losses

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 24/01/2020 23:11:01    2262041

Link

Replying To MadAboutLeitrim:  "Thoughts on the team named for tomorrow?

3 Main talking points

No Mark Plunkett
Young Mc Tague getting his chance at FB"
Clear from that team what Terry is looking for: Size and Power.

Not having (in my view) our two best players in Mark Plunkett and Ryan O'Rourke is a nightmare start to the league.

Plunkett picked up a hip injury the two weeks before DCU's first Sigerson game which will mean he will miss out on a medal with them which is a tough one to take for him I'd say.

Ryan O'Rourke will hopefully be back for round 2/3 - badly needed.

Looks like we are going for a 2 man full forward line with Beirne and Rooney with Pearce Dolan (if fit) dropping out to the middle.

Domhnail Flynn is a strange one don't really see what he offers but that's Terry's prerogative and he obviously sees something after the last two years.

There will be a change at goalkeeper with Brendan Flynn coming in I'd assume.

If we can come out with a good performance and be in with a chance until the last 20 minutes that will give us a good start to the competition. Hopefully we get good support up in Derry.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 158 - 25/01/2020 07:11:07    2262061

Link

Fairplay, they are putting in a mighty showing in Derry..
What is with oceanfm commentary. .sounds like they are broadcasting from a scouts tent

Mugatay (Leitrim) - Posts: 84 - 25/01/2020 18:14:47    2262211

Link

Replying To Mugatay:  "Fairplay, they are putting in a mighty showing in Derry..
What is with oceanfm commentary. .sounds like they are broadcasting from a scouts tent"
Sounded like the tent collapsed!
Great performance by the lads. The point is a bonus. Unlucky not to get the win. Roll on next week.

offyertrolley (Leitrim) - Posts: 135 - 25/01/2020 18:59:01    2262229

Link

Great performance pity we couldn't hold out for the win. Big crowd for Carrick next weekend. Motm The man with Derry blood in him Shane Quinn.

MadAboutLeitrim (Leitrim) - Posts: 22 - 25/01/2020 18:59:36    2262230

Link

Well done on that impressive draw away to Derry. I hope that result will give you the confidence to stay up now.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2340 - 25/01/2020 19:01:10    2262231

Link

Unreal lads what a result and could have won it in the end listening to the radio. Honestly didn't dream ye would come back with a result. Had derry to win by the handicap in my accum happy to see it lose

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 396 - 25/01/2020 19:11:24    2262235

Link

Well done Leitrim.Few,bar the team management and the panel gave Leitrim any chance.

This was a brilliant display and will do wonders for the confidence of the team. It certainly has lifted the spirits of the supporters

Looking forward to seeing a full stand for the visit of Cork in in Carrick next Sunday .

It is nice to read the comments from our genuine Roscommon posters.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 169 - 25/01/2020 19:26:30    2262238

Link

Replying To joeman123:  "Well done Leitrim.Few,bar the team management and the panel gave Leitrim any chance.

This was a brilliant display and will do wonders for the confidence of the team. It certainly has lifted the spirits of the supporters

Looking forward to seeing a full stand for the visit of Cork in in Carrick next Sunday .

It is nice to read the comments from our genuine Roscommon posters."
Full stand, Joe? Maybe, but the ultras will always be standing on the opposite side of Páirc Sheáin!

Anyway, agree about the sockpuppet. Rarely come here any more with our multiple account friend clogging up the place.

Finally and most importantly well done to all involved tonite in Derry. Didn't see it coming and great getting a point (although I hope the team are disappointed with not winning).

TheCartownBus2 (Leitrim) - Posts: 34 - 25/01/2020 21:20:02    2262279

Link