Leitrim Forum

County Manager 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I'd imagine out of respect for the late Paddy Dolan RIP that there will be no white smoke for a few more days.
Surely some modicum of respect to the Dolan family will be shown rather than parading the latest "catch" like he were the long lost Shergar.
On that matter any updates lads........

Boxtyeater (Leitrim) - Posts: 632 - 09/08/2018 20:25:56    2131327

Link

Terry Hyland announced tonight management team to come later

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 897 - 09/08/2018 21:58:21    2131355

Link

Replying To Square_B:  "To be honest, I'm not sad that Benny has stepped down. The Louth game was a highlight but I'm not convinced that we would have won as convincingly were it not for the first half sending off. It tells what players think of a management team when a number of top players couldn't be convinced to commit to the team from the first game of the league. Very little process was made in the league and it's there where we need to make it happen if we are to progress. Our neighbours in Longford have shown how it can be done with a similar population base. The reality is that the county board will have to go out and approach a big name if any progress is to be made in 2019. If Terry Hyland could be convinced to take the reins, he'd be the man I'd be speaking to. Perhaps George Dugdale could be convinced to come on board as a selector or someone like Gerry Flanagan who brought Belnaleck to a Ulster Club Junior Final last year. The County Board have to think big or we will all be here again next year scratching our head."
Top top appointment ;)

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 127 - 09/08/2018 22:30:50    2131371

Link

Well champotime got it spot on! And boxtyeater you obviously haven't a clue what your talking about

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 09/08/2018 22:39:09    2131376

Link

So Highland it is. Best of luck To him. First appointed with pedigree since Mickie Moran was in charge. Let's hope he gets the best 25 players in a squad to push for promotion. Like too know who his back room team is also. Would like to see Gary Donohoe, Adrian Cullen, Padraig Kenny, Garth Phelan, Colin Regan, Garth Foley or people of that stature to come in as selectors along with a really good coach and we have a solid team together

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 09/08/2018 22:42:03    2131378

Link

Replying To Fr.spodo_gamodo:  "Well champotime got it spot on! And boxtyeater you obviously haven't a clue what your talking about"
That would be me... First to call it ...

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 127 - 09/08/2018 22:52:24    2131382

Link

Replying To Boxtyeater:  "What we need is a manager who wants to play an imaginative brand of football given the quality of the current crop of good young lads we've got. God forbid we get someone who arrives with inbuilt defensive mechanisms who'll knock the bit of football out of them in favour of being "hard to break down" .
Terry Hyland is probably a grand fellow but his vision of football is based on containment rather than a free-flowing style from which players can quickly become disenchanted. Open it up a bit and let lads express themselves rather than become robots to "systems". For that reason Terry I have to say "I'ts a no from me""
Take it from me Boxty me oul friend.. If you saw his U21s in 2010, or Cavan in patches of 2015 and all of 2016, that is not the man's vision of football entirely. Much has been written about the style and Joe Brolly has a lot to answer for, but take it from those who were actually watching the games; Terry has more in his locker than organising a solid defence.

His Cavan teams generally came out of the blocks fast, worked like dogs, hit hard and looked purposeful. He got the best out of lads who had flattered to deceive for us for years, turned them into some of our top players. Showed nothing but class and dignity along the way too. Sincerely hope it works out well for Terry and Leitrim.

JonSmith (Cavan) - Posts: 1450 - 09/08/2018 23:08:24    2131390

Link

Good luck to Leitrim and Terry Hyland. An excellent appointment, this is a man of great ability and integrity. Hope it goes well for ye in the coming years.

MadgeKing (Cavan) - Posts: 455 - 10/08/2018 00:29:31    2131411

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "So Highland it is. Best of luck To him. First appointed with pedigree since Mickie Moran was in charge. Let's hope he gets the best 25 players in a squad to push for promotion. Like too know who his back room team is also. Would like to see Gary Donohoe, Adrian Cullen, Padraig Kenny, Garth Phelan, Colin Regan, Garth Foley or people of that stature to come in as selectors along with a really good coach and we have a solid team together"
Bar Gary Donohue and perhaps Adrian Cullen what have any of those chaps done to deserve any part of a management setup?

There's a dozen other men who have managed senior teams and would have better insights to offer. I suspect that Hyland will have the likes of Gerry Flanagan on his list of selectors and perhaps maybe Martin McHugh, George Dugdale or even Aidan Rooney. Maybe the mighty Quinn himself might be interested.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 127 - 10/08/2018 00:36:55    2131412

Link

best of luck to hyland. a word of caution though, the cavan 4 in a row ulster u-21's were probably some of the most defensive teams i have seen. people pointing out that cavan were top scorers in div 2, there is still a better level of player in cavan to alot of other counties bar the top 6/7. His style may bring success to leitrim, as to date nothing else seems to be working. But people shouldn't be expecting an expansive game, not the hyland way.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 492 - 10/08/2018 08:49:55    2131430

Link

I'll echo all the other cavan posters on here and say that this is a great appointment. Terry has a lot more up his sleeve than defence. in fact most of the defensiveness in the early part of his management was down to Peter Donnelly. However i'll concede that it was on his watch, Cavan were coming from a similar place as leitrim when hyland began his work, granted there is a bigger population but expectation was higher. make no mistake he'll be pushing to get out of division 4 next season. One thing i can guarantee is he'll have a good backroom team in and every person will know and carry out their own role!!! he'll expect full commitment from every player in the county and if he gets it you're going places

theweanling (Cavan) - Posts: 390 - 10/08/2018 10:43:16    2131474

Link

Once again it leaves a bad taste in my mouth how the appointment has been made and when it was completed but none the less I am very happy with the decision. Compare the experience that Terry Hyland has in inter county football to what Benny, Shane Ward or Sean Hagan had and it's not even close. Can any of the Cavan supporters looking at this tell us about Terry's coaching style is he hands on at training or does he let coaches take control? In my opinion we aren't struggling in the forward division it is our defensive structure and midfield that needs to improve the most. His back room staff are going to be crucial. Peter Donnelly was an astute appointment when Terry got him involved with the Cavan set up and if you look at the Tyrone boys now along with Dublin they are the best conditioned side in the country. That is exactly what we need. We are still so far behind in S&C but it only takes time effort and expertise and no talent to get this right so it is something we can work on straight away. I would hope it will be completely fresh backroom team so that we can move on from the past few set ups completely. If you ask anyone who has worked with him Gary Donoghues talents are undoubted. It is said he won't work for this county board after being burnt by them previously but everything should be done to get him involved. The talk of Gerry Flanagan or Mickey Quinn is fallacy. Their own club go outside the county to get managers so they obviously don't think they are of the required standard. Dugdale would bring organisation and a hard edge that these young lads might need. Aidan Rooney should also be looked at for a selectors role too. The likes of John McKeown, Barry McWeeney or someone who would still know the talent in Leitrim but has had a good playing career might be a smart idea just so there is a connection with these youngsters. Personally, I would put James Glancy over our u20s and junior teams and let him develop players so that they will be ready to make an impact once they get onto the senior panel. Firstly, Terry needs to get on the phone and to club games and make sure every player that is good enough plays/commits for Leitrim in 2019.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 158 - 10/08/2018 11:43:30    2131496

Link

Good luck Leitrim and Terry for 2019. I'd love to see ye get out of Division 4. He's fair and pragmatic but don't expect miracles. He will access what resources are available to him and will start off first and foremost, making ye hard to beat with organisation and hard work. Despite all the talk of the "talent" we had in Cavan his hands were tied with a lack of talented forwards to compete at the higher levels. So he'll not be pressured to play expansive football if he feels it won't yield results but he will tweak gradually and try to develop your game. He'll give everyone a chance too so expect your clubs to be getting plenty of calls over player availability and commitment. Next year might be too early but if you're patient no reason why 2020 or 2021 won't see you move to a different division.

Hardtimes (Cavan) - Posts: 1056 - 10/08/2018 11:57:16    2131502

Link

Heartening to see the amount of Cavan well wishers on the forum.

I feel this appointement is a very finely judged and weighted thing, not exactly a big name for the sake of a name but certainly of higher calibre than we have had in a long number of years.

Backroom team are going to be 2 x LM selectors so I'd love to see the likes of G. Donohoe, G. Dugdale and J. Glancy involved although all three have been mistreated or given short shrift by LM in recent times.

Talk is hes in for a three year term so regardless of how next year progresses it would be great to see no knives out for him or the players.

If we have to be defensive first so be it, but hopefully not at the expense of stunting the development of D. Rooney, ROR, Heslin and Co. We concede too much anyway.

Carlow's promotion charge started with Steven Poacher turning them into a miserly outfit by Div 4 standards, then progressively finishing higher up the league table.

I'd be happy with a top half finish next year. If we do better, well so best.

Hopefully the lads that are in self imposed exile from various clubs about the county keep their phones on. There's definitley 30 odd men in this county as good as what's in any other Div 4 county.

The set up just has to be right for them.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 325 - 10/08/2018 16:01:25    2131579

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Once again it leaves a bad taste in my mouth how the appointment has been made and when it was completed but none the less I am very happy with the decision. Compare the experience that Terry Hyland has in inter county football to what Benny, Shane Ward or Sean Hagan had and it's not even close. Can any of the Cavan supporters looking at this tell us about Terry's coaching style is he hands on at training or does he let coaches take control? In my opinion we aren't struggling in the forward division it is our defensive structure and midfield that needs to improve the most. His back room staff are going to be crucial. Peter Donnelly was an astute appointment when Terry got him involved with the Cavan set up and if you look at the Tyrone boys now along with Dublin they are the best conditioned side in the country. That is exactly what we need. We are still so far behind in S&C but it only takes time effort and expertise and no talent to get this right so it is something we can work on straight away. I would hope it will be completely fresh backroom team so that we can move on from the past few set ups completely. If you ask anyone who has worked with him Gary Donoghues talents are undoubted. It is said he won't work for this county board after being burnt by them previously but everything should be done to get him involved. The talk of Gerry Flanagan or Mickey Quinn is fallacy. Their own club go outside the county to get managers so they obviously don't think they are of the required standard. Dugdale would bring organisation and a hard edge that these young lads might need. Aidan Rooney should also be looked at for a selectors role too. The likes of John McKeown, Barry McWeeney or someone who would still know the talent in Leitrim but has had a good playing career might be a smart idea just so there is a connection with these youngsters. Personally, I would put James Glancy over our u20s and junior teams and let him develop players so that they will be ready to make an impact once they get onto the senior panel. Firstly, Terry needs to get on the phone and to club games and make sure every player that is good enough plays/commits for Leitrim in 2019."
Just because a club goes outside for a manager doesn't make the ones before 'useless'... lots of clubs have brought in outside management. Anyhow the point is that there's lots of good footballing men (young and old) in the County who have won things and are available.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 127 - 10/08/2018 17:02:25    2131591

Link

Best of luck to terry and his new team, a hell of a nice person and a great manager, I'd say one of the best appointments Leitrim ever made.

blueman1903 (Cavan) - Posts: 719 - 10/08/2018 19:38:15    2131614

Link

I'd like to congratulate Terry Hyland on his appointment as Manager of the Leitrim senior team. With the interests of the players and supporters at heart I hope he gets the fullest cooperation from all the County Board, the clubs, supporters and most importantly the players whether previously dis-enfranchised or not.
It is a time for regrouping, measuring what's available to him and pushing upwards. He's the best man for the job by all accounts and I wish him nothing but success in his endeavours. Ar agaidh linn go lèir a chairde Agustin Liatroim abû.

Boxtyeater (Leitrim) - Posts: 632 - 11/08/2018 20:36:57    2131929

Link

Could and will terry hyland be the guy to finally get mossy and Conor Britney back playing and committed for leitrim?? Remember that aside from London and New York that the only Connacht game leitrim won in the last 15 yrs was against Sligo when Conor bagged 1-6 as an 18 year old full forward with mossy playing midfield. These guys are crucial to leitrim but we need them committed. These guys are the real deal. Hope terry gets the best players playing who want to play

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 453 - 11/08/2018 22:07:57    2131979

Link

Agree Conor and Thomas were great footballers but they are at least a full years proper training off the fitness levels of senior club football let alone intercounty football. However Conor is still the best forward in leitrim so if people say we need the best 15 on the pitch then without doubt he is in that 15.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 13/08/2018 11:06:39    2132607

Link

Tomas had that bad accident a few years ago can't see him coming back if I'm honest. Martin McGowan doing some job with Eslin

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 897 - 13/08/2018 22:28:25    2132987

Link