Leitrim Forum

County Manager 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Fergal O' Donnell the obvious choice lads. Great man to work with young players. Living close to the County would get Leitrim moving in the right directions.

sweeper3 (Leitrim) - Posts: 4 - 26/07/2018 23:22:05    2126571

Link

Another name that I thought of was Colm O'Rourke he has trained his club to senior sucess in Meath recently. Has leitrim connections. Might sway him and would bring good publicity to the county

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 27/07/2018 01:18:01    2126606

Link

Short list for role of leitrim manager 2019
Pauric Davis
John O Brien
Terry Highland
David Casey/Nigel Dineen

Interviews to take place in the coming days

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 03/08/2018 10:57:24    2128697

Link

Hyland it is, apparently done and dusted!

bugsie (Leitrim) - Posts: 191 - 03/08/2018 15:36:53    2128771

Link

Hopefully hyland will do as well as the last cavan man that managed LEITRIM.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 04/08/2018 12:43:01    2128908

Link

What we need is a manager who wants to play an imaginative brand of football given the quality of the current crop of good young lads we've got. God forbid we get someone who arrives with inbuilt defensive mechanisms who'll knock the bit of football out of them in favour of being "hard to break down" .
Terry Hyland is probably a grand fellow but his vision of football is based on containment rather than a free-flowing style from which players can quickly become disenchanted. Open it up a bit and let lads express themselves rather than become robots to "systems". For that reason Terry I have to say "I'ts a no from me"

Boxtyeater (Leitrim) - Posts: 632 - 04/08/2018 17:39:15    2128962

Link

How many years have Leitrim been in division 4?. If Hyland got the job and put in a structure it would give ye a chance of promotion. Look at Carlow and how they have improved.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 2033 - 05/08/2018 23:43:26    2129769

Link

But have you suffered through 70+ minutes looking at them - if you have then you will understand my reticence.
I'd rather stay where we are, play decent eye-catching football than surrender to those kind of tactics.
Imagine it yourself - endlessly handpassing sideways and backwards while pointing with raised finger up in the air in the general direction of your opponents goal. The only kicking your allowed is during the warm-up. I kid you not.

Boxtyeater (Leitrim) - Posts: 632 - 06/08/2018 00:36:53    2129791

Link

Cavan were top scorers in division 2 in Hylands last year ,when they were promoted to Division 1. Played fast attacking football. They style obviously changed as you need to get defence right

If Leitrim were in Division 2 i might see your point about "traditional football '... rooted at the botttom

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 2033 - 06/08/2018 10:09:55    2129883

Link

Terry Hyland should be judged when his team around him is known. He had a habit of reverting to cautious football in the championship but yet good players like Mackey thrived under him. He is probably the safer of the 4 shortlisted which doesn't necessarily mean the best.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 868 - 06/08/2018 13:10:25    2129979

Link

Replying To Boxtyeater:  "But have you suffered through 70+ minutes looking at them - if you have then you will understand my reticence.
I'd rather stay where we are, play decent eye-catching football than surrender to those kind of tactics.
Imagine it yourself - endlessly handpassing sideways and backwards while pointing with raised finger up in the air in the general direction of your opponents goal. The only kicking your allowed is during the warm-up. I kid you not."
You clearly have no clue about where Hyland brought cavan from and to. Any leitrim fan that wants to see their team progress should give their right arm to get Terry on board.

fredflint (Cavan) - Posts: 1298 - 06/08/2018 23:17:33    2130257

Link

Replying To Boxtyeater:  "But have you suffered through 70+ minutes looking at them - if you have then you will understand my reticence.
Imagine it yourself - endlessly handpassing sideways and backwards while pointing with raised finger up in the air in the general direction of your opponents goal. The only kicking your allowed is during the warm-up. I kid you not."
I for one would be thrilled if Hyland took over Leitrim. Most Managers out there wouldn't look twice at Leitrim given there current status and ranking. As for this eye catching football you refer to I have yet to see that from any Leitrim team in recent years. My concern with any in coming coach would be that instructions or constructive criticism of players is misinterpreted and results in players leaving the panel.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 132 - 07/08/2018 09:31:01    2130309

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "I for one would be thrilled if Hyland took over Leitrim. Most Managers out there wouldn't look twice at Leitrim given there current status and ranking. As for this eye catching football you refer to I have yet to see that from any Leitrim team in recent years. My concern with any in coming coach would be that instructions or constructive criticism of players is misinterpreted and results in players leaving the panel."
So would I be delighted. A top quality manager who has had success where ever he has went. He is exactly what we need. Remember he brought Cavan from Division 4 to Division 1 in c4yrs. To come manage Leitrim would be a big sacrifice for him (being a businessman etc). It would be a very positive move.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 127 - 07/08/2018 14:07:04    2130441

Link

It all depends on the coach that the manager brings in. In recent years we hear of the huge work the coaches are doing for example Carlow have Stephen poacher, Galway have Paddy Tally, Mayo Donie Buckley, Tyrone have Donnelly former Cavan coach with Hyland. A top quality to coach is more important than a top quality manager as he is the one hands on doing the trainings.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 07/08/2018 14:10:35    2130442

Link

Replying To Square_B:  "So would I be delighted. A top quality manager who has had success where ever he has went. He is exactly what we need. Remember he brought Cavan from Division 4 to Division 1 in c4yrs. To come manage Leitrim would be a big sacrifice for him (being a businessman etc). It would be a very positive move."
Not quite div4 but close. They finished 3rd bottom relying on a result in another game to save us. He brought them from their to div1. Terry did great work with u21s too, getting to 3 Ulster finals in a row. Lost 1st and won the next 2.

fredflint (Cavan) - Posts: 1298 - 07/08/2018 21:05:30    2130609

Link

I'd be happy to see Hyland get the job but he needs the correct men around him. We need to get our best players on the field. Also the county board Could work closer with the clubs. Far to many players are dropping out between league and championship and during the championship in some cases

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 897 - 07/08/2018 21:21:04    2130614

Link

I don't think anyone would question the quality of Terry Hyland,what seems to be annoying the majority of people is the amateurism once more of the county boards top table. At this stage the dog on the street knows that Guckian was told to step aside as Hyland was going to take over,so why hold an interview process and ask "potential managers " to waste their valuable time putting a management team together, I think it's disrespectful to Davis,Deneen and O Donnell. Anyway the quicker the better Hyland is announced as manager and we can all look forward to watching Leitrim progress.

lecture250 (Leitrim) - Posts: 66 - 07/08/2018 21:31:12    2130616

Link

Replying To lecture250:  "I don't think anyone would question the quality of Terry Hyland,what seems to be annoying the majority of people is the amateurism once more of the county boards top table. At this stage the dog on the street knows that Guckian was told to step aside as Hyland was going to take over,so why hold an interview process and ask "potential managers " to waste their valuable time putting a management team together, I think it's disrespectful to Davis,Deneen and O Donnell. Anyway the quicker the better Hyland is announced as manager and we can all look forward to watching Leitrim progress."
What a ridiculous post. Do you really think these men would allow their names go forward if it was all as done and dusted as you outlined - seriously do you?? The CB also had one of the most respected officials in the GAA involved in the interviews, do you think he would allow his name be associated with a pointless interview process??? Hyland is the stand out candidate on the list so he would naturally be favourite to land the job. For Leitrim to have such a competitive field of candidates for our managers job should be a positive thing and should be welcomed not ridiculed. Try and take your opinions up off the floor and see the positives in something.

Castelfore (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 08/08/2018 10:15:59    2130745

Link

Replying To Castelfore:  "What a ridiculous post. Do you really think these men would allow their names go forward if it was all as done and dusted as you outlined - seriously do you?? The CB also had one of the most respected officials in the GAA involved in the interviews, do you think he would allow his name be associated with a pointless interview process??? Hyland is the stand out candidate on the list so he would naturally be favourite to land the job. For Leitrim to have such a competitive field of candidates for our managers job should be a positive thing and should be welcomed not ridiculed. Try and take your opinions up off the floor and see the positives in something."
Castlefore I know your intentions are right with this post and ideally we would all like to have the same faith in the process and the county board as you do. But unfortunately you sound a little naive. The interview process for when Benny got the job was a sham and upset a lot of people which can be seen as to why certain people did not let their names go forward this time. Also, it has been widely known for a time now that Hyland would get the job so let that tell you about the process. I for one am happy enough with the appointment. He has a history which suggests he can develop young players and that is exactly what we need. He needs to hit the ground running and over the next 4 weeks formulate a panel of 35 - 40 men to get stuck into a S&C programme that will have them prepared for January. A clean slate is required and this will allow us to go into next year with the most hope in 10 years. Any word on his backroom team? I would also like if these were new faces so that there are no preconceptions of anyone involved.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 08/08/2018 11:09:07    2130766

Link

So the manager will be announced tonight. I assume the management team will be announced also. Coach and selectors? Interesting to see who gets the job and what is the full package for the year ahead.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 09/08/2018 14:46:41    2131233

Link