Kerry Forum

Kerry Vs. Mayo Super 8'S Game 1

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Kevin McCarthy not playing tonight for Kilcummin in the county league...I wonder is he back in ? Is that why subs not named ?"
So he played in previous games? I thought he had a long(ish) term injury. Also Gavin O'Brien played for Kerins O'Rahillys tonight so he obviously isn't on the panel for tomorrow. I think that's surprising especially considering Barry is missing and the need for an option of a bit of physicality and size against Mayo.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 310 - 13/07/2019 22:06:23    2210431

Link

i guess gavin obrien not on panel anymore he played for rahillys this evening

chicago09 (Kerry) - Posts: 661 - 13/07/2019 22:55:44    2210451

Link

Replying To chicago09:  "i guess gavin obrien not on panel anymore he played for rahillys this evening"
Ya not on the 26. Jonathan Lyne also played for Legion so he's not on it either.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 310 - 13/07/2019 23:05:59    2210455

Link

Gavin O'Brien impressed during the league, unless he plateau'd inside in training and didn't push on. Killarney is rocking some craic here. Watching Cork they exposed flaws but didn't have the conviction or know how to turn the screwscrew no bench killed them.

Going on previous games our bench has Crowley, O'Beagleach, Graham Sullivan, Spillane and now James off the bench. Tommy too as an option at FF or in the centre

Think we'll pinch this one.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4147 - 13/07/2019 23:43:31    2210469

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "So he played in previous games? I thought he had a long(ish) term injury. Also Gavin O'Brien played for Kerins O'Rahillys tonight so he obviously isn't on the panel for tomorrow. I think that's surprising especially considering Barry is missing and the need for an option of a bit of physicality and size against Mayo."
I didnt hear he was injured...thought (hoped) if he wasnt playing tonight then he might have been brought back... as person he might not be some peoples cup of tea but as a footballer he is a good aggressive hard player that we are missing..would love if he could get him self back on track and playing in the green and gold again.....

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 49 - 14/07/2019 00:12:27    2210479

Link

Well match day is finally here, no a cloud in the sky out in North Kerry! Safe travels everyone, might see youse in Scott's or Courtneys at some stage. Please God we'll be disecting a Kerry win on here later.
Up D Kingdom!!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5046 - 14/07/2019 09:47:46    2210544

Link

If we can pull Mayo into a shootout we will win this one!

as_ky (Kerry) - Posts: 535 - 14/07/2019 09:59:55    2210552

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Well match day is finally here, no a cloud in the sky out in North Kerry! Safe travels everyone, might see youse in Scott's or Courtneys at some stage. Please God we'll be disecting a Kerry win on here later.
Up D Kingdom!!!"
Corkery's, always love this pub on match days. The lanewsy is the ideal spot

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4147 - 14/07/2019 10:37:33    2210581

Link

A lot of talk in Killarney about the bench. It also appears 'common knowledge' that the named team is not the starting XV. Personally I think it will start.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4147 - 14/07/2019 11:26:06    2210600

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "A lot of talk in Killarney about the bench. It also appears 'common knowledge' that the named team is not the starting XV. Personally I think it will start."
Exactly as was intimated over a cup of coffee on Thursday night that Gavin Crowley would be in for Jack Sherwood . Why the dummy team hope it works my hopes are turning to positive!!

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 711 - 14/07/2019 15:45:36    2210735

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "https://www.hoganstand.com/Kerry/Article/Index/301635

Actually sorry Peter Keane confirming Barry is in 'pretty good shape', he was clearly nowhere near 100% for the Cork game to my eyes."
Now that was sweet glad I was WRONG In loved Gavin Crowley at 6 and David Moran immense all the forwards did themselves proud and yes the Gap of Dunloe is narrowing Well done to all concerned ar aghaidh linn anois

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 711 - 14/07/2019 17:42:09    2210828

Link

Well, I dont think any of us seen that one....4 changes and by God you cant fault any move Peter Keane made on the chessboard as the game played out. So performance by Kerry and especially the rickety defense that seemed to know where Mayo were going to kick the ball to...One Swallow never made a summer but I think we can see the boys were up for that one.
I was at the Donegal Meath game and I took two things from it....We shouldn't fear Donegal. But we must not underestimate Meath. The Meath game by then hopefully will be a dead rubber but they gave Donegal plenty...The future is a small bit brighter after today......we actually may have backs

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 49 - 14/07/2019 18:24:12    2210855

Link

Brilliant. Well done to the players and management that was as complete a performance as we could have asked for. They got everything spot on from kick-out strategy to leaving Clifford inside on his own. Great stuff.

Mayo looked ragged, injuries and relentless games have caught up with them. They can still qualify and must pick themselves up though.

How will this kick passing style work next weekend v Donegal who will crowd their defence? I cannot wait to see it. I'd imagine we will have a nice crowd there now. I didn't see Donegal v Meath obviously so must endure whatever highlights the Sunday game give us this evening. Looking at the score I would imagine they were impressive. Really intriguing game in prospect.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1576 - 14/07/2019 18:28:18    2210858

Link

Nice 1 , we needed that win and we'll have kick in our step heading to crokepark next Sunday, get out and support our young team, they deserve it.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 9695 - 14/07/2019 18:39:14    2210868

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Brilliant. Well done to the players and management that was as complete a performance as we could have asked for. They got everything spot on from kick-out strategy to leaving Clifford inside on his own. Great stuff.

Mayo looked ragged, injuries and relentless games have caught up with them. They can still qualify and must pick themselves up though.

How will this kick passing style work next weekend v Donegal who will crowd their defence? I cannot wait to see it. I'd imagine we will have a nice crowd there now. I didn't see Donegal v Meath obviously so must endure whatever highlights the Sunday game give us this evening. Looking at the score I would imagine they were impressive. Really intriguing game in prospect."
Donegal's gameplan is simple. They play football as normal with the ball, then when they lose possession, Hugh McFadden drops in front of the full back line and covers then the rest retreats back as the ball goes in, then they try and get the ball and if so attack. They absorb you and then break at speed but after today's performance I have no doubt that Kerry are aware and have a game plan.
Peter Keane is cutest of Kerry Hoors St. Mary's have ever produced...there is nothing on this forum that he hasn't thought of or knows.. I think we underestimated him today or am I wrong, did Mayo self destruct.

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 49 - 14/07/2019 19:25:56    2210910

Link

Great win. Moran and clifford were excellent. Foley did well too. Thought enright was solid. Hopefully there will be big support now v Donegal. We certainly weren't bullied today. All the players stood up to Mayo. Also well done to cillian o connor on becoming the highest scorer in the championship

aidan64 (Kerry) - Posts: 544 - 14/07/2019 20:54:38    2210987

Link

Well that looked easy still a lot of work to be done now but we are looking good right now donegal will be a big test next week. Mayo were bad all over the field dont know were they tired or what happened but definitely playing at home helps. What's the story with James was it just precautionary or was he injured again. I don't think Moynihan touched the ball at all.

chicago09 (Kerry) - Posts: 661 - 14/07/2019 22:06:32    2211049

Link

Thanks
For the kind words 37. I told stick by your own. Through good days and bad I have allways stuck by my county team. Ciarrai Abu

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 460 - 14/07/2019 22:14:27    2211054

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Donegal's gameplan is simple. They play football as normal with the ball, then when they lose possession, Hugh McFadden drops in front of the full back line and covers then the rest retreats back as the ball goes in, then they try and get the ball and if so attack. They absorb you and then break at speed but after today's performance I have no doubt that Kerry are aware and have a game plan.
Peter Keane is cutest of Kerry Hoors St. Mary's have ever produced...there is nothing on this forum that he hasn't thought of or knows.. I think we underestimated him today or am I wrong, did Mayo self destruct."
I don't think they self destructed. Mayo were missing some of their best players and I don't think Keegan, O'Shea or Doherty are fit either but they had to play nonetheless. Add that to the run of games they had and you can understand why everything went against them today. It was always a possibility that they would fall flat but Mayo have defied the odds so often in the past that you almost expect them to at this stage. The team we beat today was a long way off the great Mayo side that we had until 2017 imo so we need to keep our expectations realistic. Kerry will have a much more stern test next weekend.

On Keane, I certainly was having some doubts about how much progress was being made but I think today tactically we looked much more prepared than we did in the Munster championship, possibly partly because Kerry were keeping their powder dry and partly because they were doing heavy conditioning work throughout. It's still a work in progress though.

Special mention to Paul Geaney today, I was one of the people that wanted him dropped but he played well today in fairness, Shane Ryan and Jason Foley were also superb after a rocky Munster championship. I hope they can maintain that form.

David Moran had his best game in years, what a sight he is when he is in form. I know he is not the quickest but he is still one of the best operators in the game for me, and one of our most under-appreciated players ever. He faded a bit in the second half but his match fitness will keep improving and we need him playing like this if we are to make an impact going forward.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1576 - 14/07/2019 22:49:45    2211075

Link

Heartiest congrats lads, that was an unbelievable performance. I know Mayo weren't at the races but regardless, there were some mighty performances out there yesterday. All the young guns stood up and Moran had his best game in a few years, lording it at midfield. Keane got the tactics spot on. The kick out press had Mayo all over the shop.
He got the matchups right and the balance of the team was perfect. Some of the kick passing, let alone shooting was of the highest calibre.
Kerry put down a marker yesterday, make no doubt about it. Donegal are a different proposition, another terrific game to look forward to.
It might have been a walkover but you can't beat watching football of the standard Kerry put out there yesterday.

keithlemon (Australia) - Posts: 896 - 15/07/2019 10:43:32    2211234

Link