Kerry Forum

Kerry Vs. Mayo Super 8'S Game 1

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "A lot of what AO'S does is pure bullin and barging, but he'l be up for this coming down to the home of his kin, he'll want to put on a show for sure.

And I think it's a day where leaders can be born.

Can't wait for the team announcement Friday night.

Also anyone going to the U20s game Thursday night?"
I'm going to the u20 match. It will be good to see how they are shaping up. It should be an easy win. The team is being announced tonight.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 310 - 10/07/2019 10:40:53    2208905

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Dara setting the scene nicely:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-playing-mayo-is-like-cod-liver-oil-you-don-t-enjoy-it-but-you-re-better-for-it-1.3951744"
Well said Darragh "Kerry have played Mayo twice this Year and been HORSED out of it" " Oh for a Donaghy""(muscle+ skill) .Seanie O Shea and David Clifford only 20 leadership not evident midfield suspect . Conclusion - head says Mayo heart says Kerry ,in your native tongue Darragh that would translate 'dòchasach ach gan mhùinìn', Darragh careful you are sailing close to the wind over analysis and I think the word is 'infatuated' with brawn over skill! Darragh should know Ive seen him play a bit. Hopes and dreams are realised sometimes stroll on Sunday

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 711 - 10/07/2019 10:52:54    2208918

Link

I have great respect for darragh I meet him tralee quiet a bit. By god he was a good un and what an all mighty rogue just like uncle paudi. But paper will not refuse ink I'm sure darragh was well paid for the piece and good luck too him he is well entitled too it for his services too kerry football.. Your education does not give you the right too run down kerry at every opportunity and over anilize kerry football at every opportunity. Get behind our team and dream a little.

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 460 - 10/07/2019 11:22:12    2208946

Link

I imagine what Darragh wrote is what Darragh saw. I wish I was dreaming that night in Tralee as Mayo "horsed Kerry " out of it and again as I watched a repeat of the nightmare in the league final. It was no dream when I saw Gavin White being dispossessed 4 times in the Munster final and the concession of a goal from a throw up ball on the Kerry 14 yard line -nearest Kerry back in the vicinity of Carrántùthaill. Of course I'll continue to dream but I would love a wake up call to a bright new day for Kerry football - Monday le cùnamh Dè. Like Darragh sin è mo dhòsach freisin.

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 711 - 10/07/2019 12:15:12    2208979

Link

There will be skin in hair flying for sure.
Them youngsters will be getting it rough and ready and it'll be a steep learning curve that's for sure.
Don't think it'll be an easy win for Mayo but by jaysus if they can win this one they'll make an AI final and Kerry could be shagged for the year. Donegal another team that will have the physicality and running game to bate these gangly lambs.

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 1016 - 10/07/2019 12:15:20    2208980

Link

Sin è mo dhòchas freisin !!

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 711 - 10/07/2019 12:21:56    2208988

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "I have great respect for darragh I meet him tralee quiet a bit. By god he was a good un and what an all mighty rogue just like uncle paudi. But paper will not refuse ink I'm sure darragh was well paid for the piece and good luck too him he is well entitled too it for his services too kerry football.. Your education does not give you the right too run down kerry at every opportunity and over anilize kerry football at every opportunity. Get behind our team and dream a little."
I think Darragh is downplaying Kerry so the expectations aren't as high to keep extra pressure off of Kerry. I think it's great that everyone is predicting Kerry's downfall in the super 8's even before a ball is kicked. I fancy Kerry to rattle Mayo in a very tight affair but wouldn't rule out a draw either. The big question is will Peter Keane use a sweeper ? I think he should but I dont think he will......

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 49 - 10/07/2019 13:35:33    2209043

Link

Listening to radio this morning, reports Kerry played the Rossies in challenge match at weekend and Mark Griffin played at 12.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5046 - 10/07/2019 15:52:40    2209110

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Listening to radio this morning, reports Kerry played the Rossies in challenge match at weekend and Mark Griffin played at 12."
Jesus- I hope it was due to player unavailability

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4145 - 10/07/2019 16:02:59    2209113

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Jesus- I hope it was due to player unavailability"
Well from the discussion it sounded like they were trying in to drop back and help cover the half back line.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5046 - 10/07/2019 16:59:43    2209144

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Well from the discussion it sounded like they were trying in to drop back and help cover the half back line."
At least he is one who managed to upend Aidan O Shea ! but, he has Brawn - Skill. So take your pick

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 711 - 10/07/2019 17:33:14    2209163

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Well from the discussion it sounded like they were trying in to drop back and help cover the half back line."
Well if that's the case, you could play Stephen O Brien or Dara Moynihan at 13 and pull them out to wing forward, play Clifford and Geaney or O Donoghue in a two man full forward line. Then you would have a fresh attacking threat to come on late on. I think Griffin is a good shout, strong and physical, but Gavin Crowley has to start as well.

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 49 - 10/07/2019 17:44:13    2209168

Link

You should have been a preacher 37 not a teacher.. But in your day teaching. Teachers were preachers ciarrai abu

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 460 - 10/07/2019 17:54:33    2209175

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "You should have been a preacher 37 not a teacher.. But in your day teaching. Teachers were preachers ciarrai abu"
What you should or could be is of no interest I feel sorry for anyone who goes personal off an issue usually betrays a small mind. Ní sheasann sac folamh

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 711 - 10/07/2019 18:32:39    2209192

Link

If that is the ploy i'd rather they start Gavin Crowley or even Paul Murphy at wing forward but either way I don't like the sound of it, Griffin is limited at a push.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4145 - 10/07/2019 18:39:06    2209197

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Well if that's the case, you could play Stephen O Brien or Dara Moynihan at 13 and pull them out to wing forward, play Clifford and Geaney or O Donoghue in a two man full forward line. Then you would have a fresh attacking threat to come on late on. I think Griffin is a good shout, strong and physical, but Gavin Crowley has to start as well."
Sound thinking The dogs in the street are shouting Kerry need to toughen up Cork got 3 goals possibly should have got another 3 from the openings they carved forwards of calibration of Mayo's finds Carr ,Coen, Tracey not to mention C O Connor will be hard to contain. Fingers crossed over next few days.

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 711 - 10/07/2019 18:40:06    2209198

Link

That's even a bit more positive 37 crossing your fingers. Don't be offended I'm kerry through and through even in the days of the past but allways stond my ground ciarrai abu

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 460 - 10/07/2019 20:18:23    2209234

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "If that is the ploy i'd rather they start Gavin Crowley or even Paul Murphy at wing forward but either way I don't like the sound of it, Griffin is limited at a push."
Mark griffen, I know we might need a bit of steel but we also need lads that can solo and pass the ball. Maybe they're going to play him as a stopper but I'm thinking like you that there are better players to fill that roll.

gallarus14 (Kerry) - Posts: 82 - 10/07/2019 21:39:32    2209261

Link

Replying To gallarus14:  "Mark griffen, I know we might need a bit of steel but we also need lads that can solo and pass the ball. Maybe they're going to play him as a stopper but I'm thinking like you that there are better players to fill that roll."
Could name 3 or 4 ahead of him - with Crowley being the frontrunner

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4145 - 10/07/2019 23:16:38    2209296

Link

Replying To gallarus14:  "Mark griffen, I know we might need a bit of steel but we also need lads that can solo and pass the ball. Maybe they're going to play him as a stopper but I'm thinking like you that there are better players to fill that roll."
If Peter Keane wants to stick someone in front of Morley to protect the full back line, and you look to the bench then it's either Gavin Crowley or Griffin.
The big problem here is at the beginning of the year Peter Crowley was going to be our No. 3 and I believe Morley was going to be the Stopper, now Morley is covering No.3 and we are stuck for a stopper..

Gavin Crowley or Griffin is probably as good as we have. If either shores up the middle I personally dont care if they touch the ball once.

Is there anyone else? Enright? Brendan O Sullivan from Valentia? It's like he vanished into thin air. A big strong physical player......

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 49 - 10/07/2019 23:30:13    2209299

Link